Warner Bros. Nabs Rights To Reddit-Spawned Film Script

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
I hope they don't plan on presenting Augustus as a villain, Cause that guy was frigging awesome.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Another point to the Internet? What's the score now, all other possible points against...46?

Earnest Cavalli said:
Plus, there would probably be nudity. That always helps.
It's Rome. There has to be. It's a law of media.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
Thus, feel free to speculate wildly in the comments. I've got my fingers crossed for Paul Verhoeven [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000682/], mostly because I think this would make a wonderful satirical allegory for the horrors of Manifest Destiny vis a vis their visitation upon the cultural forebears of the concept by their sociopolitical offspring.

Plus, there would probably be nudity. That always helps.
You have once again delighted me Nex. Keep up the good work, amigo.

Mcoffey said:
This sounds so incredibly terribad. Are they at least making it a tongue-in-cheek comedy? Because if not this sounds like something that would fit in with the lower levels of Sci-Fi Original Movies.
One can assume from the movie's title that this is not going to be a gritty and serious film no? I'd expect not anyhow.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
So it's come to this, then? Movie studios will just look at fanfics based on "what-if" questions that were too insane to make it on Spike TV's Deadliest Warrior?!?

If there is a film industry collapse, I hope I will be camping in line to be one of the first to piss on its ashes.Stop paying actors so exorbitantly and hire a damn screenwriter once in a while, for Pete's sake!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
binnsyboy said:
samsonguy920 said:
There is always the chance WB bought the rights to lock it up. Studios have been known to do that. In a way, I kinda hope so.
BgRdMchne said:
I hope the dude who wrote this has an agent so he doesn't get screwed over by WB.
Probably too late for that.
See, this is why I don't discuss my book ideas on the internet. They're kind of awesome...
That is a very good idea. Think of all the lawsuits that come up against Studios and Production companies that come up from some wag who said, 'That movie was my idea, I demand monies!'
Get it done and sealed up with a publisher, then feel free to promote it. Until then, keep it quiet. You will thank yourself later.
Or you could just put someone into this kind of situation [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Murder_of_Crows_(film)].

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Simpsons did it.

Or more specifically the catholic church did in this comic series.

[image src="http://i.newsarama.com/images/paxromana01_cover.jpg"]

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Yeah... not gonna happen. It just got optioned, which means very little. Too high cost with too much difficulty predicting sales.

The story itself seemed really well done.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Mantonio said:
The thing that bugs me most about this (and there are many, many things that bug me about this) is it being about the US Marines. Haven't they been masturbated over enough already?

They're not even that great! In any other country the Marines are the Commandos, but in the US they're just a slightly better presented version of the US army. At could at least use the commando equivalent and use the US Rangers!

Or, here's an idea, why not use a military other than America's? I honestly stopped caring about movies where America saves the day long ago.

My immediate qualm was this also. How about having the Italian military and have the whole film in Italian and Latin? Not hurr durr America! If the film ends with the US military having defeated the Roman Empire and them placing an American flag in the middle of the senate I swear I will hang myself.

Also this sounds like it will be pretty shoddy anyway, not a great concept at all it basically sounds like someone has played Nazi Zombies a bit too much and reversed/altered some of the ideas. It will obviously end up with the marines having to use the weapons of the time as they will run out of ammunition and I doubt (unless they are dumb enough to do this) have a Macgyver character who will make extra bullets/weapons.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I'm assuming there's going to be a different Villain than the then Emperor of Rome. I wouldn't call Augustus one of history's greatest villains. At least not to his face.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
IceStar100 said:
Mantonio said:
The thing that bugs me most about this (and there are many, many things that bug me about this) is it being about the US Marines. Haven't they been masturbated over enough already?

They're not even that great! In any other country the Marines are the Commandos, but in the US they're just a slightly better presented version of the US army. At could at least use the commando equivalent and use the US Rangers!

Or, here's an idea, why not use a military other than America's? I honestly stopped caring about movies where America saves the day long ago.
DID SOMEONE WANT A LARGER ORDER OF BUTTHURT?

Here you go sir you order of butt hurt with chili fries.
So apparently I'm not allowed to announce any distaste about the over-use of one countries military in media?

Back to /v/ with you.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
Mantonio said:

I just think of it this way.... who else would let their military travel back in time and blunder everything so bad?
Not to dis my own country's military... but it does sound like something we'd do.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
If theres not nudity it should be a crime.

isnt this just the "5 Navy Seals vs 100 Colonial Redcoats" (or however it goes) argument?
Also, just skimming his story, it seems a lot of liberties are taken to ensure that this isnt over after the first 15 minutes.

And the name could use some work.

As to the whole "its the US" again, this is Hollywood people. We've (specifically moviebob) have been over this before. Though, Im not going to lie, the US military is rather... reserved, in its efforts. I'd love to see a group like the Spetnaz go back and just tear shit up.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
That is the dumbest premise for a movie. Surprise reverse time travel + random battles makes sense now?

Not to mention how terrible and cheesy the name is.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
... Well on the plus side it's not the usual "Only America can win WW2" movie...

Would I see it? Probably not.