Warner Bros. Nabs Rights To Reddit-Spawned Film Script

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Mantonio said:
IceStar100 said:
Mantonio said:
The thing that bugs me most about this (and there are many, many things that bug me about this) is it being about the US Marines. Haven't they been masturbated over enough already?

They're not even that great! In any other country the Marines are the Commandos, but in the US they're just a slightly better presented version of the US army. At could at least use the commando equivalent and use the US Rangers!

Or, here's an idea, why not use a military other than America's? I honestly stopped caring about movies where America saves the day long ago.
DID SOMEONE WANT A LARGER ORDER OF BUTTHURT?

Here you go sir you order of butt hurt with chili fries.
So apparently I'm not allowed to announce any distaste about the over-use of one countries military in media?

Back to /v/ with you.
One it /b/ that does this more

You have your right to your opinion. Just as I have a right to mine. Mine is your wrong and over exaggerated. They are not using your money and if you don't want to watch it don't. No one will make you watch it at gun point. I did it in that style not really to insult or belittle your view but to make mine more humorist. Even it insulting or belittling your view happened. Because had I done it in a mature manner most would skip of it like most will this.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Not that im claiming shenannigans, but i did have an idea almost identical to this a while back..even left myself a voice memo about it.
Although mine was british special forces and there was only a small unit...and it wasnt necessarily ancient rome.

Like i said it was an idea, and no where near as fleshed out as this guys..but yeah..thats never happened to me before! haha

OT. I don't think its a strong enough idea to be a movie..much like Suckerpunch

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Mantonio said:
The thing that bugs me most about this (and there are many, many things that bug me about this) is it being about the US Marines. Haven't they been masturbated over enough already?

They're not even that great! In any other country the Marines are the Commandos, but in the US they're just a slightly better presented version of the US army. At could at least use the commando equivalent and use the US Rangers!

Or, here's an idea, why not use a military other than America's? I honestly stopped caring about movies where America saves the day long ago.
Ubermetalhed said:
Mantonio said:

My immediate qualm was this also. How about having the Italian military and have the whole film in Italian and Latin? Not hurr durr America! If the film ends with the US military having defeated the Roman Empire and them placing an American flag in the middle of the senate I swear I will hang myself.

Also this sounds like it will be pretty shoddy anyway, not a great concept at all it basically sounds like someone has played Nazi Zombies a bit too much and reversed/altered some of the ideas. It will obviously end up with the marines having to use the weapons of the time as they will run out of ammunition and I doubt (unless they are dumb enough to do this) have a Macgyver character who will make extra bullets/weapons.
ok first the SAS is the premier spec op group in the world.

now on to the stuff that people wont like. The Marines are better trained then most other countries armed forces(i said most not all)and they tend to get themselves stuck in situations like this(outnumbered with little or no ammo) so it make more since then the British who while they are a much smaller force are never under supplied.(Italy's military is a joke and would probably lose to the Romans) as for doing it in another language, i would like to ask you this how many people do you know who would go see a movie like this and have to read subtitles? I know i wouldnt. So logically you do it in English because you know youll get the most out of it.

BTW before you go saying there are lots of good movies with subtitles. Yes there are but they tend to be the kind of movie were you expect them, this wouldnt be one of those.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
"Pic will follow the Marines as they're flung into the past where they encounter one of the world's most legendary villains and disrupt history. To return home, they have to set history back on the track they altered," Variety claims.
I lost interest right here, what's with the obsession of time travel moves on having to restore the timeline? How about... Fuck the future, and follow through on the premise. I want to see what happens, not how they try to avoid making anything happen.

I'd also prefer it if they're weren't US marines, simply because then you just know the script is going to be stuck on them being "good guys". For the purpose of this concept, they would need to be bad guys actually intent on taking on the Roman Empire for their own purposes.

Nyce1

Jun 25, 2010
At leasts its WB and not the Sci-Fi channel. I mean sharktopus rocks and all but this has some potential to be the next cowboy and aliens hit....wait... damn. Well I will rent it when it goes right to dvd.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
ecoho said:
as for doing it in another language, i would like to ask you this how many people do you know who would go see a movie like this and have to read subtitles? I know i wouldnt. So logically you do it in English because you know youll get the most out of it.

BTW before you go saying there are lots of good movies with subtitles. Yes there are but they tend to be the kind of movie were you expect them, this wouldnt be one of those.
What you're doing now is 'appealing to the lowest common denominator'

You're essentially saying 'American viewers are morons! They'll never handle a move about people other than Americans, and they CERTAINLY won't read things!

You've just insulted an entire nation. Good job.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Mantonio said:
ecoho said:
as for doing it in another language, i would like to ask you this how many people do you know who would go see a movie like this and have to read subtitles? I know i wouldnt. So logically you do it in English because you know youll get the most out of it.

You're essentially saying 'American viewers are morons! They'll never handle a move about people other than Americans, and they CERTAINLY won't read things!

Looks like you're starved of Western movies with a foreign tinge, eh? Try Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. You should be excited for The Raid by Gareth Evans, set in Indonesia with SWAT cops but it's by a Welsh director. It's been getting some insane buzz from film festivals.

Or Monsters (out on Blu-Ray/DVD) by Gareth Edwards, a British director with two American but mostly Mexican non-actors, about an Alien invasion in Mexico.

He's already been signed up for the next Godzilla movie...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
binnsyboy said:
samsonguy920 said:
There is always the chance WB bought the rights to lock it up. Studios have been known to do that. In a way, I kinda hope so.
BgRdMchne said:
I hope the dude who wrote this has an agent so he doesn't get screwed over by WB.
Probably too late for that.
See, this is why I don't discuss my book ideas on the internet. They're kind of awesome...
That is a very good idea. Think of all the lawsuits that come up against Studios and Production companies that come up from some wag who said, 'That movie was my idea, I demand monies!'
Get it done and sealed up with a publisher, then feel free to promote it. Until then, keep it quiet. You will thank yourself later.
Or you could just put someone into this kind of situation [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Murder_of_Crows_(film)].
Yes, I've got my eye on a UK based publisher with funds set aside for unsolicited manuscripts from new authors. Probably won't send anything in for a few years though. I've got about five years of extended education left, and I want to do four years in the Royal Marines, so nothing of mine will be hitting the shelves for at least another ten or eleven years.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Mantonio said:

It's an American movie. What do you expect? The film is going to be tailored to an american audience and what do we American's love? Titties, fireworks and the goddam marines and their various flavors (space, magic, and vanilla.)

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Mantonio said:
ecoho said:

no im actually saying the opposite see when the average American goes to movies like this (you know action movies) they are not going there to read subtitles. Now if it was a movie like say "Dances With Wolves" or "The Last Samurai" then yeah do it in a different language and sub it people will understand that but for something like this it just doesnt make sense. Now please dont accuse me like this again as an attempt to troll me it insaults both our intelligences.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
All excitement I had for this was lost as soon as I read that the film was going to be called Rome Sweet Rome. That's just proof there's a moron in charge of this. The premise was already silly, this needs proper care if it ever want's a chance to be any good.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Mantonio said:

The sad thing is these shows about how "America saves the day." or "WW2 movie ONLY about Americans." have British actors playing the most prestigious of the Americans. I would say a majority are not from the USA. Go look at the cast for Band of Brothers. Main character for most of the series. Heavily featured and important to the story character Without the links: Philip Barantini, Peter Youngblood Hills, Dexter Fletcher.

Or even the kind of rolls that make characters out to be from the south or other really "American" roles. British or Australian actors. Ryan Kwanten, Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin.

Edit2: Yet, Americans can't even be in the harry potter movies....

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
How can hollywood have resisted the premise of "The Nazis/Emperial Japanese won WW2" done PROPERLY? Then again its more a story of how life would actually go on and not about glorious resistance, something i think the stunted ideas and film-making of holywood would have trouble with, the notion that that USA COULD be invaded, carved up and ruled and life would go on.
I'm amazed at how there's not a been a proper hollywood adaptation of Fatherland. That book was so bloody awesome and I think a film would work too, provided they didn't fuck it up (which, being hollywood, they would).

I have to say, this is the most retarded film idea I've ever heard. I hope it never sees the light of day, for fear of a flood of copycat films, and the possibility of one such film being directed by Michael Bay.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Can we drop the time travel premis and just to alternate history propper? I mean when the hell will Hollywood realise that "The Man in the High Castle" is still better than almost any "What if..?" story to date and certainly better than any movies dealing with the premise of altered history.

How can hollywood have resisted the premise of "The Nazis/Emperial Japanese won WW2" done PROPERLY? Then again its more a story of how life would actually go on and not about glorious resistance, something i think the stunted ideas and film-making of holywood would have trouble with, the notion that that USA COULD be invaded, carved up and ruled and life would go on.
Perhaps not a movie.....But this doesn't sound like a bad premise for a television series. Something HBO could play with perhaps?

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
If it follows what of the story I saw, and they (marines) have to start a slaughter to stop Augustus from putting his prejudices against gals, germans, anyone asaid so he can make a union with them, that would be cool, but it needs to be more than guns vs swords, they need to go commando with camoflauge and bows aswell. The motivation for it is because in the story the guy wrote, Augustus wasn't scared by the helicopters, he was scared by the notion of a multi-ethnic military, a military of all people, instead of just one filled with the 'superior' roman people. And if he could get over those prejudices, he could do a lot of damage to the other nations. And maybe they don't make it back, maybe the few that are left just disappear into the ether. Also, 23BC, anything they do that close to Christ's birth could seriously fuck up the religious development of the world, don't even have to go into this vs that or is god real or not; without Christ and his followers there would be thousands of religions each as blood thirsty as the last, instead of just 2 bloodthirsty ones.