Warp Drives Make Better Guns Than Engines

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Warp Drives Make Better Guns Than Engines

Who would have thought that monkeying with space/time for fun and profit would have negative consequences?

Okay guys, so, like, space? It's really big. Like, really big. Seriously. And despite mankind's intense desire to explore new planets and have ill-advised sexy time with whatever we find there, it's just not terribly feasible with our current propulsion technology. Even a trip to Mars, the nearest planet in our solar system, would take over 200 days, and that's barring any sort of xenomorph infestation, or giant space babies attempting to expand man's collective consciousness.

Thus "faster than light" travel has become a staple of space-based science fiction. Can you even imagine Star Trek without the Enterprise's warp drive? Actually, let's hope so, because according to a group of Australian scientists, that kind of technology would more or less destroy everything.

The University of Sydney-based group studied the theoretical Alcubierre drive -- in simple terms, it moves a ship through space by "creating a bubble of negative energy around it, expanding space (and time) behind the ship while compressing space in front of it" -- and determined that though it's should be possible to break the lightspeed barrier, the problems start once you attempt to stop.

See, that negative energy bubble functions much like a wave in the ocean. As your ship is propelled along, the bubble is also picking up random detritus (in the ocean it would be sand and sea urchins, but in space it's incredibly tiny particles). When you attempt to come to a stop, all of that extra stuff you've accumulated still has momentum and will continue forward. End result: Billions of tiny, tiny particles being flung through space at speeds faster than light to collide with whatever might be sitting at your destination.

"Any people at the destination would be gamma ray and high energy particle blasted into oblivion due to the extreme blueshifts for [forward] region particles," the team's paper states.

Interestingly (for maniacal supervillains, at least), there doesn't seem to be any upper limit to exactly how destructive this burst can be. Thanks to a quirk of General Relativity, you can continue accumulating energy as long as you stay in that negative energy bubble. You only lose energy when you stop, at which point, again, things go boom.

Now, in fairness, this is all based on a completely theoretical faster than light drive, and even generating that negative energy bubble would require technology we can only dream of, but I'd like to posit the idea that though the warp drive might not be a great method of travel, it would make a really awesome interstellar weapon.

Who needs to drop a comet on a your foes when you could hit them with a superluminal grapeshot burst of weaponized protons?

Source: Geekologie [http://www.universetoday.com/93882/warp-drives-may-come-with-a-killer-downside/]

skatch13

Feb 2, 2010
This might show off too much geek cred, but isnt that why they have the deflector array in the front to destroy small space debris in front of the ship , and the buzzard collectors on the warp nacelles to collect negative energy. Those Star Trek writers were pretty good at covering their fiction with actual science.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I think some physicist said that any engine technology which could be used for interstellar travel outputs enough energy to be made into a weapon of mass destruction.

Jan 12, 2012
skatch13 said:
This might show off too much geek cred, but isnt that why they have the deflector array in the front to destroy small space debris in front of the ship , and the buzzard collectors on the warp nacelles to collect negative energy. Those Star Trek writers were pretty good at covering their fiction with actual science.
Hooray! The fictional world is saved by fictional science once again!

Twixley

Evil penguin
Nov 30, 2009
skatch13 said:
The way I understand this article, the particles in question would be pushed forward by the wave in front of the ship and not the ship itself. A deflector might protect the ship itself but I think they're implying particles will still be caught and pushed forward by the shockwave at it's prow.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Actually since this negative energy bubble is being generated behind your ship, wouldn't the first thing all those accumulated particles slam into when you stopped be your ship?

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Take the approach mentioned in the Star Wars X-Wing book series, where the easiest thing to do would be to aim your faster than light travel at the central star of whatever solar system you wanted to get to. Any debris would be shot into the core of the star and hopefully be neutralised. You'd still need to have faster sublight travel for within systems but that can be worked around.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Negative energy has always bothered me. The concept arises from a symmetric mathematical equation. However, no one has ever been able to adequately explain (to me, perhaps what goes on down the hall in the theoretical physics office is much more concrete) what negative energy is, or how to generate it.

"Wormholes are totally possible! All you need to do is pump in enough negative energy..."

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That would actually be pretty funny.

"Captain's Log, Stardate 42315.4, we arrived at the peaceful planet of..."

(Planet explodes)

"...son of a biscuit, not again?!"

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
The University of Sydney-based group studied the theoretical Alcubierre drive
I'm going to devise a cocktail based on Beer that gets you flat drunk in a split second and call it that, because you know, Beire is French for beer.

skatch13 said:
That's some major Geek Cred you got going Skatch13, you need to start strutting around your house like pronto, impressive stuff.

A few Scientist actually name their inventions, or get inspiration, from Sci Fi shows technology, there was an Engine called a Conduit Drive back in the 90's that I heard about but since Conduit is such a prevalent word but I'm having difficulties backing up my source!... now I look like a fraud!
:(

Landis963

May 23, 2011
Easily fixed planet-side. Simply pass a law stating that incoming spaceship vectors can't intersect the destination while in FTL, and treat any breaches of this law as an act of war. (except when meeting with spacefaring species who have not thought of this, or know how to counteract it with different technology) It's not perfect (any particles caught on the bottom of this negative-energy bubble would still rocket off and possibly hit the station/planet/what have you), but the existence of sublight engines would still allow for orbit/entry burn without destroying the best vacation planet in the galaxy.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Actually since this negative energy bubble is being generated behind your ship, wouldn't the first thing all those accumulated particles slam into when you stopped be your ship?
No, the debris is built up at the front of the ship

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
DigitalSushi said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
I'm going to devise a cocktail based on Beer that gets you flat drunk in a split second and call it that, because you know, Beire is French for beer.
Take a glass of Blue Moon beer and float in it a double of 151. Set the 151 on fire for presentation, and pound it like an irish car bomb. The Flaming Alcubierre (pronounced Alku-beer) is born.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
thiosk said:
DigitalSushi said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Take a glass of Blue Moon beer and float in it a double of 151. Set the 151 on fire for presentation, and pound it like an irish car bomb. The Flaming Alcubierre (pronounced Alku-beer) is born.
Can I use Super Tennents instead?, it has an alcohol content of 9-10%, that would mess you up. And with Khalua!
http://www.cocktailmaking.co.uk/displayingredient.php/79-kahlua

I'll pronounce it Akul-beire thank you very much, *starts singing La Marseillaise*.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Even putting aside particles for the moment, the simple ability to project a mass at even approaching the speed of light makes for an incredibly powerful weapon. Nuclear weapons would be relics compared to the amount of force you could hit a planet with accelerating any decently sized object to the upper % of the speed of light.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
TestECull said:
I vote we try to use EvE Online's method. New Eden's warp drives simply create a vacuum bubble around a ship, which enables the normal sublight engines to propel you at FTL speeds effortlessly due to not having to fight the resistance of those very particles.
This must be the most useless FTL drive I ever heard of. When approaching the speed of light, the mass of your ship (the actual inert mass) approaches infinite values, which require linearly scaled (thus, in the end, infinite) energy for acceleration. The Laws of relativistic physics don't care about friction.