Watch Dogs: 30 FPS on Both Xbox One and PS4, Confirms Ubisoft

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Not the news Ubisoft was hoping to deliver, I'm guessing.

I don't doubt that it will still be a perfectly fine game. But I'm really getting tired of the big companies trying to spin their bad news as no big thing. I'd really respect the company that came out and said, "Look, I know many of you were expecting 1080p and 60 FPS; we had hoped that we would be able to deliver that to you, but it turned out that wasn't possible while maintaining our vision. We're asking you to make a leap of faith in accepting our statement that the gameplay elements we prioritized are more important to the experience than sheer frame rate and resolution, that you'll still feel you're experiencing something that properly belongs in the "next gen" category, and that you won't be disappointed. Make that leap of faith with us, trust our reputation for quality game play, and we promise we won't disappoint you."

Instead, we're getting plays from Microsoft's playbook. "Resolution and framerate are just numbers"? Really? Ubisoft, are you sure that's how you want to play it...?

...'Cuz, I dunno if you've been paying attention, but that seems to be going over like a lead balloon for big M.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if this console generation is going to end up being as short as the last one was notoriously long. Because if they can't deliver 1080p now, there are going to be a lot of programmers stirring whiskey into their energy drinks if 4k televisions actually become the phenomenon certain tech companies are hoping for.

Somewhere along the line, Watchdogs slipped from "Oh, yeah, definitely buy when it comes out" to "Wait for a good load of reviews to come in" for me. And I'm planning on playing it on a PC. I can't imagine what the PS4 and XB1 owners are saying right now.

...Actually, I think I can.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
That's really pretty hilarious.

Not even getting 1080P, and in a meagre 30FPS, is frankly kinda pathetic.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Sometimes I wish studios would slow down and stop being so ambitious with visuals in favour of better frame rates. It's pretty disappointing that our "next-gen" hardware is not going to be any visually smoother than the last gen, since they're so determined to jam more polygons on the screen. It's like buying a new PC only to discover that the new version of Word hogs so much memory it'll chug just like your last version did.

We're already in the area of diminishing returns as far as polygon count vs visual quality, and it's only going to get worse from here.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Wii U port actually supported 1080p 60fps?

Anyone? At all? Nope? Just me then?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
*Must resist urge to laugh hysterically*

In all fairness, I feel sad for my console brethren: this new generation has been quite dissapointing up to this point in time.

I hope that at least, the indie games promised for both platforms will be good, as I have lost hope in AAA at this point.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
saltyanon said:
Except Sony actually did use it and not Microsoft. Microsoft used:

THE POWER OF THE CLOUD!
That you attribute SUPERCHARGED PC to Microsoft makes it sound like you're a sonydrone. Both companies essentially claimed their consoles are far beyond PCs. It's quite fitting that their claims have come back to bite them in the ass. This crooked industry brought this upon itself. I'll thoroughly enjoy watching it squirm and buckle under the weight.
I don't own nor support either console. That you attribute my unfortunately uninformed statement to my console affiliation makes it sound like you're a butt :p The reason I mention the Xbox One is due to an article (on this website) about them saying something along the lines of "we have super-computer architecture that our console is based on" or some-such malarkey. Either way, largely indifferent.

Unfortunate that I seem to have missed both of these claims. Although, given stuff mentioned in this article keeps happening, it's not -that- unfortunate.

Ultratwinkie said:
N4G keeps using it. That site is full of fanboys, and none of them understand tech. They have an article up there saying the eye cant see more than 30 fps. And it can.

Anything that isn't Ps4 gets downvoted, and any pandering ps4 announcement is upvoted.

and sandbox titles use pop ins to get around sandbox titles. There is no excuse now because rockstar has shown time and again that any whining over size is pure bull. It can be done.
While true, texture pop-in is used in a lot more games than just sandbox now-a-days (probably because of how functional the tactic is when it isn't easy to see), so it isn't only that that's at play here. But it -is- true that it's not somehow impossible to make a well-running game in a sandbox, because, as you said, rockstar is still a studio.

No idea what N4G is, though. Sounds silly. Especially the 30fps thing.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
We are at the border, but we haven't crossed over yet. We won't until we get actual hardware.
Well I never said we'd crossed yet, just that I feel we're getting close. Even in that newer screenshot the 20k model, to me at least, doesn't look like it should be 10x harder to render than the 2k model. And I doubt a 200k model would look much better considering the effort needed. That said, I hadn't actually seen that picture before. It was just a casual observation of the way we're headed.

I had to laugh at that marketing line since that's sort of why a lot of people are sending angry words Ubisoft's way in the first place. When you tease a game based on its looks I suppose you can't turn around and suddenly decide a 60fps ideology is the way to go.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Callate said:
I don't doubt that it will still be a perfectly fine game. But I'm really getting tired of the big companies trying to spin their bad news as no big thing.
Oh this, just so much. It's shocking how many companies will pretend nothing happened instead of admitting things didn't work out and justifying those choices. Leaves the whole situation in an awkward middle ground where they can't propose any solutions because they won't admit any failures, even if it's obvious to the smart people who've been following the situation. A simple "we couldn't manage 60 fps, but we promise the game will make up for it in other ways" instead of this "whaaat, 30's just a number, man".

I can only think of one organisation recently who went for the honest approach, and that was my country's bloody military. I definitely can't remember the last time a commercial company's CEO did.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Wow, so they had to downgrade the graphics and they still can't get it up to 1080p. Can someone give The Ministry of P.A.T.H.E.T.I.C. a call?

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
Ferisar said:
That you attribute my unfortunately uninformed statement to my console affiliation makes it sound like you're a butt :p
That's what you get when you attribute my post to nothing but "haterade", butt.

Ferisar said:
Unfortunate that I seem to have missed both of these claims. Although, given stuff mentioned in this article keeps happening, it's not -that- unfortunate.
No, you're not unfortunate. It's actually a blessing. At least you don't lose brain cells everytime a company or their drone claims something stupid like SUPERCHARGED PC or:

THE HUMAN EYE CAN'T SEE 60FPS ANYWAY! YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
saltyanon said:
Ferisar said:
That you attribute my unfortunately uninformed statement to my console affiliation makes it sound like you're a butt :p
That's what you get when you attribute my post to nothing but "haterade", butt.

Ferisar said:
No, you're not unfortunate. It's actually a blessing. At least you don't lose brain cells everytime a company or their drone claims something stupid like SUPERCHARGED PC or:

THE HUMAN EYE CAN'T SEE 60FPS ANYWAY! YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!
Y'know, I always wonder, what if someone one day tried to feed me some uncooked dough with sugar poured on top and then told me "Hey man, it has the same nutritional value as those waffles. Your digestive system can't tell the difference", what would my response be.

AND I LOVE HATERADE, DON'T JUDGE ME. D:

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Adam Jensen said:
Wow, so they had to downgrade the graphics and they still can't get it up to 1080p.
Nobody asked for this.

Adam Jensen said:
Can someone give The Ministry of P.A.T.H.E.T.I.C. a call?
Ministry of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. here, how may I take your call? Oh wait, you asked for P.A.T.H.E.T.I.C.! Terribly sorry about that but might I add that it is equally pathetic that a free, standalone mod can aesthetically compete with this multimillion dollar game using DX10.1?

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
As a PS4 owner all I can say is that this generation has been a gigantic disappointment this far, and has been an almost big a kick to the face than the Wii-U was the first buyers. Seriously now, if this keeps up PC Ganers will have to live with their heads up their asses because their farts'll smell too good... and it'll be you your heads Sony and Microsoft... not Nintendo, because really now.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
To all you Sony thralls who were bragging in the last thread: GG.
looks like PC still the better platform, in other news sun expected to rise.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
I'm glad I can enjoy the game's on their own regardless of whether it runs at 60fps and 1080p or not. Is it disappointing sure, but is it horrible news no. As long as the game is fun then I could care less. Give me a solid 30fps over the occasional 60fps. I've been playing and enjoying games all my life, and very few could ever make the clame of running at those specs.

And to those saying what a disappointing gen this is, come on now, its 6 months in. We weren't getting anything special last gen till at least a year. I'd give it some more time before you call this gen a failure.

And to those that already have a pc, and hadn't planned on getting a PS4 or and X1, what is the point of you all trolling this area. If you have one of the consoles I can understand, if not then I don't really see a reason your hear, other than to be a bunch if trolls.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
To those bragging about the PC, it is worth noting that the PC version's system specs are off the charts and you'll need a top end PC to get 60fps at 1080p with everything maxed there, so I think Ubisoft simply have a bad engine going on.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
And I am glad I ordered my copy on Steam. I am not going to get into this new console generation at ALL. Before this generation I owned every console that came out in the US. I do not see the point in this current gen and the fact they are just low end PCs...