Watch Dogs Delayed to 2014

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Watch Dogs Delayed to 2014

Ubisoft says it's become clear that Watch Dogs just won't be ready for November.

In a surprising announcement, Ubisoft has revealed that Watch Dogs won't launch until sometime in the spring of 2014.

"We struggled with whether we would delay the game. But from the beginning, we have adopted the attitude that we will not compromise on quality," the publisher said. "As we got closer to release, as all the pieces of the puzzle were falling into place in our last push before completion, it became clear to us that we needed to take the extra time to polish and fine tune each detail so we can deliver a truly memorable and exceptional experience."

The move is particularly surprising in light of the fact that Watch Dogs was intended to be a launch title for both the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One.

Source: Ubisoft [http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-delay/]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It's odd that it is so close to the release date that they've decided to delay it, but I don't mind. I'll take a delayed game over a shit/broken one any day.

I do wonder how it'll affect all those day-one next-gen consoles that were bundled with Watch Dogs though.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Of course this is to be the case. How else are they going to biuld a franchise off the back of a game if it launches with more bugs than New Vegas?

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
It is discouraging that, this close to the launch date, the game is still buggy enough to require a delay.

It is very encouraging, however, that they are going to go ahead and delay it anyways. Release it when its ready, not when some marketing team claims is the right date. It seems they learned from their mistake of Assassin's Creed III.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Yes I am going to ***** and moan here, be warned.

SO the one game I actually wanted to buy a PS4 for is now delayed? Near a month before the big release?

So what am I going to do with my Watchdogs PS4 bundle now? What are my other launch options? CoD: Ghost, drive club, Madden 25?........................I'll be cancelling my PS4 preorder tomorrow. Nothing else really interested me at launch except this.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
wooty said:
SO the one game I actually wanted to buy a PS4 for is now cancelled? Near a month before the big release?
It's not cancelled, it's delayed...

I'm suprised that the game is being delayed so close to release, surely they would have needed more than that to get the game printed on to DVDs and distributed? But at least they know when it is best to delay a game and release it when it is done rather than rush it out and fix the bugs post-launch.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
wooty said:
SO the one game I actually wanted to buy a PS4 for is now cancelled? Near a month before the big release?
It's not cancelled, it's delayed...
Thank you for that, wrong wording really. My frustration typed that, not my brain.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Here's a conspiracy theory for you; one or more of the several ports were not up to standard for one reason or another and so to keep something resembling parity the release has been delayed across the board until the problems have been addressed.

You may remove the tinfoil now or put it on if you haven't already. Also, spoons.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I don't plan to get Watchdogs, but damn if my eyes didn't light up at this. Thought for sure it was only one platform being delayed, or maybe it all had to be a mistake.

Kudos to them for trying to fix the game up, but its so close to the original release date its surprising. Blindsided me actually. Sorry for anyone that was looking to play this as soon as they got their next gen console.

diddykonger

Jan 14, 2009
While I'm not thrilled that a title that I was really excited for to play when PS4 launched is delayed I truly hope that that Ubisoft will take the opportunity to fine tune the game. But I'm curious, like others, why they would announced it so close to a next-launch after all the talk of it being available at system launch. I'm totally fine if it was announced earlier, lets say a month or two ago, but to delay when the next-gen systems are launching within more less a month from now is again curious.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Well, this actually might be a sour taste in many pre orders mouths. Watch dogs was one of the main reasons to go to the next Generation. Now the PS4 has less of an advantage with the Xbones exclusive launch lineup. It was the game I planned to get at launch too. Guess I'll have to switch over to something else.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
With the absurd amount of hype this game has gotten for so little shown, I'm sure Ubisoft is in brown trousers mode about quality. I'm glad they are delaying it if it makes the final game better, but I'm now wondering what happens to my PS4 pre-order Watchdogs bundle ...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm not going to ***** because I do want the game to be good, but I will express my frustration that they waited until the last minute to delay it. This is what we call being a cock tease ubisoft.

EDIT: Well hot damn, post #6000

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I agree that the delay is only good news, but it just adds another reason for me to wait on getting a new console. Right now the only game I want on next-gen is AssCreed4 (Ubi games on PC are a bad idea and the PS4 version is considered superior by the devs). Even most of both consoles' exclusives have been delayed or slated for a 2014 release, so I keep asking myself what games we'd even have available for next-gen.

Mike Kayatta said:
I'm glad they are delaying it if it makes the final game better, but I'm now wondering what happens to my PS4 pre-order Watchdogs bundle ...
Hope you enjoy Knack, because it's just about the only possible replacement right now :\

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I dont really think it is surprising that it is this close to release date for the delay.

They probably thought we will work on it till the last possible moment to see if we can finish it. That didnt happen so they delayed it. Just hope this will be a positive thing for the quality.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
this makes the launch lineup of both consoles significantly weaker.

oh and i will be accepting bets that the PC version will be released with 1-4 weeks delay.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Guess GTAV really was more then Ubisoft bargained for, I suspect they are delaying it so they can add in a bunch of features that they hope can compete with something like GTA's online component. Releasing Watch Dogs now, especially without an expansive multiplayer component is a recipe for disaster imo, good on them to wise up and delay it. Calling it now, $100 says they will come out in a few months with an announcement for a large multiplayer change that will include the ability for players to make their own content.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Anyone else think this decision might have been made in order to ensure AC4 and Watch Dogs aren't cannibalizing each other?

It always seemed so weird to me that they were scheduled to both release within such a close time frame.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone made a last minute executive decision to push the release even though the game is good to go.