Watch Dogs PC Requirements Recommend 8 Core CPU

Sep 14, 2009
this is screaming of bad optimization.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's what it's saying to me. So hopefully I'm wrong. I meet all the recommended specs and then some, but this still comes across as bloated.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I would be very surprised if I really needed an i7 for this game. I'm 95% sure an i5 with a powerful GPU will max this game

verindae

May 22, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
verindae said:
noobium said:
I have a 3770k and I am sure pretty sure that it is a quad core processor.
http://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Quad Core Hyper Thread. 4 Physical, 8 logical.
So, my I5-3570K is a physical and logical quad core based on the fact it has only 4 threads. Yep definitely getting this on PS4 then.
I can guarantee you that your i5-3570K is more than enough for any game, including this one. That 8 core business is utter nonsense :p

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That 8-core requirement... it just doesn't make any sense. All the rest of the recommended requirements are super tame in comparison. A 560Ti? The recommended card is a midgrade card from two generations ago. But, I guess it is what it is. Makes me think they are putting a whole lot of load on the CPU rather than the GPU for some strange reason. If that is recommended, I imagine it's gonna run like shit on consoles.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"We can't be bothered to optimize our game for the PC, so we're going to inflate the system requirements so that jerkass elitist gamers think it's 'true next-gen' and can smugly say 'get a job and upgrade your PC' on forums everywhere."

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
yeah i don't believe the 8 core requirement for even a second, because vitalisation is not the same as actual physical cores.

Redhawkmillenium

May 5, 2011
noobium said:
Yeah that has me scratching my head. The 3770 is a quad core processing. It's eight thread thanks to hyperthreading, but it's still just quad core.

verindae

May 22, 2010
Redhawkmillenium said:
noobium said:
Yeah that has me scratching my head. The 3770 is a quad core processing. It's eight thread thanks to hyperthreading, but it's still just quad core.
It's a technicality, it may be a logical or virtual core, but it's still a core. It's something of an annoyance to be honest, there's no consistency which allows for confusion and making something look like something it isn't. Something this industry seems fond of lately, like graphics card re-badging.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
We'll see. I'm above the minimum spec, but I sure as hell don't have an eight-core processor. The most recent Steam Hardware Survey suggests most people don't. Games really taking advantage of that kind of processor power still seem to mostly be few and far between. Hell, games that require a 64-bit OS are still a tiny minority.

It's hard for me to believe that they'll release a game that plays badly on hardware that's arguably superior to the console versions that are going to expect to be run at at least 30FPS at 1080p. That may be naive optimism; there have certainly been poor PC ports before. But the PC is less and less a platform that any player in the market can take for granted, and I have to imagine that Ubisoft has ambitions beyond that <5% that may have 8-core systems.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
Is there such a thing as an 8 core i7 3770? I didn't think they made those with more than 4 cores.

I'll either pass on this or turn down some settings. Already been having to do that with a few titles and they still look pretty great.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
The way I am reading those recommended specs is that they are putting a lot of the load on the processor with lower requirements elsewhere. The other thing these specs feel like to me is they are going "the consoles have 8 cores, so the PC version will need the same", but to me that is comparing apples to oranges especially with how much more stuff the consoles seem to be running in the background now.

HanFyren

Dec 19, 2011
Wait, are you guys complaining because game developers are finally figuring out multi threading?

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
i'm pretty convinced this is bullshit in some way. if this were really seriously the minimum/recommended settings, there is no way on earth the weaponized toasters they call ps4 and xbone could run this.

i suspect a marketing ploy of sorts, just not really sure to what end. maybe showing of how super duper open and big their game is? dunno, remains to be seen.
either that or it's really, really, REALLY badly optimized.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
Wow! this screams horrible optimization. Unless of course Ubisoft is pretending that this is the "definitive" version of the game, which I doubt because AC4 was plaged with technical issues on PC.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Bull....shit....

This is one of the more ludicrous required/recommended specs lists I've seen in a while.

Requires an 8-core CPU for recommended specs but supports low-end dual core CPUs and 5000 series AMD GPUs?

Yeeeeeah, no. Bullshit. There are only three possible situations that explain this:

1: Watchdogs is incredibly unoptimized on PC.

2: Watchdogs runs on one of the most robust and adaptable engines I've ever seen.

3: Whoever wrote the specs list has no idea how computers work and just picked some random brand and model names/numbers from a list.

This being Ubisoft, I'm willing to bet it's not #2.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Charcharo said:
I will sound like a broken record, and for some odd reason most escapists dont pay me attention but:
Dont. Listen. To. System. Requirements.
They almost ALWAYS lie in this day and age. Probably to aid AMD and Nvidia in selling their products.

The game WILL run on less. And if for some reason (very VERY VERY small chance) these prove to be real, then, the truth is, Ubisoft coders are noobs :) . ALMOST Infinity Ward Ghost level clueless noobs.

@ as for buying games on consoles, no.
It is cheaper to get a gaming PC (450 + dollars :) ) then to play on consoles, so no.
Having actually tried running new games on my old Celeron Dual Core LGA775 system, I can tell you the minimal specs look close to what they probably will be if you want a smooth experience. If you can do with a bad framerate and the game audio certainly turning into dubstep at some point, you can of course run the game on a very old system.

The recommended specs on the other hand... NOPE. Those are just bonkers (also, last I checked there were no 8-core CPUs for neither Intel's Socket LGA1155 nor in the whole i7-3XXX lineup). Even though I cover the recommended specs (I have an AMD FX-8320), I have yet to actually witness a game loading the CPU 100% (even Planetside 2 doesn't, and that's basically the CPU-heaviest game I know of). The GPU recommendation also looks weird considering that Ubisoft seems to have very detailed models of almost everything in the game (except if they scrap them for the release version again, dirty bastards. It's not as if it's terribly difficult to put them in, seeing as they're probably already in-engine anyway). RAM requirements, on the other hand, may actually be accurate........ nah, who am I kidding. Games run fine with less than 2GB of RAM even these days.