Watch Ice-T Unbox Gears of War 3

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Watch Ice-T Unbox Gears of War 3

The replica Lancer gun that Epic sent the aged rapper is solidly-built and "gangster."

Following Ice-T on Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/FINALLEVEL] is one of my guilty pleasures. I can always depend on the former rapper and present cast member of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit for semi-weekly non-sequitors and gangster platitudes. The fact that he's an avid shooter fan and was involved in the production of Epic's Gears of War 3 I took as a bonus. Now I feel doubly rewarded for my amusement following his link and being able to watch Ice-T unwrap the first commercial version of the Gears of War 3 collectors edition. This edition comes with two custom controllers and Xbox along with the game disc itself. Ice-T also opens a replica of the famous Lancer gun, which he describes as "cold", "solid" and "gangster."

"I'm not fronting on you all, I'm not here trying to act like I'm special or anything," Ice-T says before saying the only reason why he has the copy 13 days before it appears in stores is because he plays the character Griffith in the game.

My favorite part of the video - which is pretty long - is when he takes out the custom-made Xbox emblazoned with the Gears logo and says, "Oh yeah. This is nice. Woo. Woo. This shit sexually arouses me when I - Oh, my goodness."

Yes, Mr. Ice-T. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Fast-forward to the end if you want to get a sneak-peak at the start of the opening cinematic from Gears 3 when Ice-T puts it in his system and starts to play. Get prepared to be jealous.

The last word of the video is a bit perplexing. "Church," Ice-T says after thanking Cliffy B and all the guys at Epic for letting him be in the game. What does that mean? Is that what the cool kids are saying nowadays? Church?

Dec 14, 2009
This guy must have gotten a time machine in the 90's and arrived just in time to be in Gears 3.

Because he's certainly not relevant anymore.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
This guy must have gotten a time machine in the 90's and arrived just in time to be in Gears 3.

I'm sure the marketting guys can how you key demographic data that proves he's what the kids are into these days... bro-dude.

But seriously, with the average age of active game players being 37(ish) he is more well known with the right age culture they are trying to interest and he is still on Law & Order(right?). I agree he is an odd choice but I don't think we can call it a blind choice.

OT: Just looking at GoW stuff reminds me how shitty they are in comparison to actual Power-Armoured Marines (a la Warhammer 40K(Raven Guard represent!)). It's stuff with zero value to me.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

He's still in Law & Order, a heavily watched show...

Also Most people who've been gaming for a while know of his rap music AND his heavy metal music.

Dec 14, 2009
manythings said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I'm sure the marketting guys can how you key demographic data that proves he's what the kids are into these days... bro-dude.

But seriously, with the average age of active game players being 37(ish) he is more well known with the right age culture they are trying to interest and he is still on Law & Order(right?). I agree he is an odd choice but I don't think we can call it a blind choice.

OT: Just looking at GoW stuff reminds me how shitty they are in comparison to actual Space Marines. It's stuff with zero value to me.
What do the kizzles now abouts what they is innelz? Them cats don't be nizzling what they lizzling!

Dec 14, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

He's still in Law & Order, a heavily watched show...

Also Most people who've been gaming for a while know of his rap music AND his heavy metal music.
I know he's in Law & Order, I was commenting more on the way he acts. Like a really stereotypical 90's rapper.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
manythings said:
Daystar Clarion said:

OT: Just looking at GoW stuff reminds me how shitty they are in comparison to actual Space Marines. It's stuff with zero value to me.
I think he was probably chosen because he's very vocal about being an avid gamer. And Gears is something he's liked from the get go.

So honestly. I'm just happy they got someone who genuinely cares about the product to endorse it instead of some random celeb who's never heard of "G-gears?... Gears of war 4. I mean 3!"

Edit: Also, Gears aren't space marines.

You could argue they take the 'space marine' aesthetic. But they're very much a land army. Infact, I don't think space is mentioned or even hinted at in the gears continuity barring the hammer of dawn satellite.
I will adjust my statement to Power-Armoured Marines.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
"Tell me that ain't gangster"

It isn't gangster.

His 14k plus gamerscore is certainly respectable as is his collection (LA Noire, BLOPS and Gears, couldn't make out the other) but these aren't anything you'd "front your homeskillets" with.

On another note, did anyone else hear him scratch the disc in the case? My skin crawls when I hear that sound.

The whole package does look smexy but I wouldn't fork out too much hard earned dollar for it, these mega packs just aren't worth the charge imo...

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
And it saddens me that he ever was, and that people just like him still are...

Kirkby

May 3, 2010
JESUS CHRIST MAN be careful with that stuff! Did anyone else think mr.Ice opened that a little to recklessly? I though he was gonna break that lancer before he got it out of the Styrofoam!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I am wondering if he will get banned for playing the game earlier then the release date lol

But seriously, I dont get why people complaint about him not beeing a respectable celebraty, for what this is (promoting the game) it makes complete sense to have someone that truly enjoys videogames, that is the most important thing, it could also be Vin Diesel or Mila Kunis.

Knowing that they actually mean what they are saying is way more valuable then a more important celeb that is just lying to get the paycheck.

Kirkby said:
JESUS CHRIST MAN be careful with that stuff! Did anyone else think mr.Ice opened that a little to recklessly? I though he was gonna break that lancer before he got it out of the Styrofoam!
I guess he is used to not give a shit about stuff that he can buy again, thats what happens to people when they have money.