Watch Leaked Amazing Spiderman Clips

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
There is just so much wrong with these scenes.

1. He used his powers unmasked? Remember all those haters getting pissed due to Raimis spidey being demasked a few times? This is worse.
2. Is it me or does spidey come across as a bullying jerk? Thats not comedy banter thats picking on someone that cant fight back ones his stuck to a wall. Yes he is a scummy criminal, but spidey is above this. The first part was good, but the rest was bullying douche. Isnt spiderman meant to joke mid fight to annoy his enemies as they try to kill him?
3 Why this? Its stupid. He cant control his strength, but he can hold a toothbrush and scrape toothpaste off a mirror with out breaking it? So dumb.

I will still give this movie a go though, these could be out takes or cut scenes. The 2nd scene could just be improv. Raimis spidey was better, the 3rd film sucked because they forced him to add Venom - a character Raimi never liked as he preferred the older villians. Any way, Venom should have his own movie against Spiderman.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Apples_McGrind said:
Lono Shrugged said:
I like the second clip a lot for a very important reason: SPIDER-MAN IS NOT FUNNY.
He is a goofy kid with his own weird sense of humour. He usually uses it to annoy people and in the comic, other super folks like him cos he will crack a joke even in the worst situations. Even if they are corny and groaners. Kinda like Kick-Ass in a lot of ways. He thinks he is funnier than he is and thats why we like him because he is goofy and socially awkward as us. I would hate it if he had Joss Whedon quality burn skills.
I get where you're coming from, but I think the issue is that it's making Spider-Man come across as a dick. Sure, you can have films where the character isn't likable at first and he makes a character journey to realize his mistakes (Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Attack the Block), but he's supposed to be the hero of the film who fights villains. To paraphrase Mr. Plinkett "the drama of the film is the result of us rooting for the protagonist." In a superhero film, it's a crucial element for us to like the main character. He doesn't necessarily have to be likeable, but usually films compensate for this by making the lead funny. Here, he's coming across as annoying and kind of a douche. That's part of the problem by bringing Spider-Man's banter from the comics. It's works in the comics, but not in the film because comedic writing doesn't always translate to different mediums. I'm not saying they can't pull it off, but I do think it'll be a difficult hurdle to overcome.

Then again, this is only a 30 second clip, so I could be totally wrong and the movie could be completely different and much better than what we've seen here.

You pre-made my counter-argument at the end there and I agree with pretty much everything you said right.
I hope that Spidey is likable and relatable in the film. It's why I found 3 so hard to stomach. He was just a dick and we don't feel sorry for him like we might with Michael Corleone or Butch in A Perfect World. (I.E. Good people doing bad things and losing their humanity.)
Him toying with a criminal by webbing him and poking fun is hardly as morally gray as Batman pounding the shit out of a mental patient. I agree that you have to relate to a character to like them and I think a guy with super powers teasing what is essentially a bully is pretty understandable by most people. I mean Marty McFly made a bully crash his car into horse shit and we cheer, Indy shoots a guy armed with a sword and we cheer. Hopefully we will cheer at bad jokes and gloating of the bullied getting payback on a jerk.

Part of being an adult is accepting how this behavior doesn't solve anything and is childish. Part of the fun of Movies is not caring and enjoying the escapism of poetic/natural justice

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't hate the third Sam Raimi Spiderman film. I just hated how Venom didn't get a very big part. I'm quite looking forward to the reboot to see how it goes. I want to see a Spiderman film with Carnage as the villain because Carnage is just fucking awesome.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
First, because I'm oddly required to do this whenever Andrew Garfield is mentioned: Holy shit is he hot! God damn!!!

Okay, now that's out of the way... I'm honestly not sure how I'm feeling about this film. I wasn't a particular fan of the Raimi films. I liked the 2nd one, but only as a "well it wasn't bad" experience. The 1st and 3rd ones just do nothing for me.

But this? I still need some serious convincing.

Even though I will probably still end up going to see it exclusively for the unadulterated hotness that is Andrew Garfield

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Am I missing something here? Where's the clips? :l

Anyway, I think MovieBob describes my thoughts about this movie better than I could. The last Spidey movies weren't that bad. But uhh...yeah, I don't have high expectations for this movie.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Dargocitfer said:
Agreed.

Maybe some goofy music cues can soften the tone, but as it stands, the scene with the crook just feels way too much like a bully saying, "Why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself?"

Not Spider-Man.
Yes it is completely spider-man he dicks with criminals all the time.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Sexy Devil said:
DVS BSTrD said:
There's smoke coming out of his wrists in the second clip. They're going back to the web cartridges?

Looks like a Bruce Campbel cameo is just about the only thing that could make this movie bearable at this point.
Soviet Heavy said:
That still looks awful, and his acting is making it worse.
I think Garfield has forgotten the meaning of the word sincerity.
Please, enlighten me, what exactly is wrong with the cartridges? I can guarantee that there'll be at least one scene where he runs out in a heated moment but Spider-man 2 had a whole bunch of those.

As for the bad humour, I'm going to assume that was more to do with the poor editing in their first pass, and craptacular audio and video. I did enjoy some of the other witty scenes shown over the past few months so I'm not letting a clip that I can scarcely understand ruin that.

Can't believe people are getting on the movie's case about how Peter isn't enough like Raimi's Peter, even though this is the one that actually conforms to the comics.

Honestly, this whole thing reeks of the Escapist repeating the Diana Allers situation. "A horrible voice actor who you can tell to go away immediately upon meeting? It's like Bioware wants this game to fail."

So yeah, reserving judgment.
It's the same problem I had with Seinfeld: the jokes may be good, but the characters are just so profoundly shallow and unredeemable. Inventing the cartridges is just one more thing for him to be a smug douche-bag about.

And at least when he ran out of webbing in Spider Man 2 it was indicative of Peter Parker struggling to find his identity. Now it'll just be an phony gimmick to build-up tension or an excuse to stretch-out the plot by allowing the bad guys to get away.
Even though that whole self confidence thing does come from the comics its still fucking retarded plot point put in to pad the films length.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
There is just so much wrong with these scenes.

1. He used his powers unmasked? Remember all those haters getting pissed due to Raimis spidey being demasked a few times? This is worse.
2. Is it me or does spidey come across as a bullying jerk? Thats not comedy banter thats picking on someone that cant fight back ones his stuck to a wall. Yes he is a scummy criminal, but spidey is above this. The first part was good, but the rest was bullying douche. Isnt spiderman meant to joke mid fight to annoy his enemies as they try to kill him?
3 Why this? Its stupid. He cant control his strength, but he can hold a toothbrush and scrape toothpaste off a mirror with out breaking it? So dumb.

I will still give this movie a go though, these could be out takes or cut scenes. The 2nd scene could just be improv. Raimis spidey was better, the 3rd film sucked because they forced him to add Venom - a character Raimi never liked as he preferred the older villians. Any way, Venom should have his own movie against Spiderman.
You don't know what your talking about, Spider-mans always been a dick and he didn't shatter the glass because he didn't press against it.

niceguy191

Mar 11, 2010
Foolproof said:
Nooners said:
Bleeahhhhhhhh....not really liking this at all.
This guy just seems like more of a jerkass than Toby MacGuire's Spidey.
So he gets the character where MacGuire did not. Spider-Man is a jerk - he's snarky and routinely makes fun of the people who's asses he's kicking.
niceguy191 said:
Something about just how easily that bathroom fell apart didn't make it look like super strength at all but just bad luck in a very poorly constructed bathroom. At least TRY and make it look like there's some extra force there....
Because we all know exactly what super strength would look like. If he was exerting himself, that wouldn't work.
Hammeroj said:
Robert Ewing said:
A remake in 20 or 30 years I can understand, but why now!?
Because Spider-man 2 and 3 broke box office records, and because, allegedly, Raimi decided not to work on the fourth movie after too much meddling by Sony.
No, it was down to Raimi becoming completely impossible to work with, and doing things out of spite. Like the part where he put in Spider-Man having a dance scene when he was asked to use a villain people actually wanted.

All of this is really....hell, I'm not even going to say nitpicks here, this is inventing flaws.
I'm not trying to be nit-picky, this scene just didn't convey the idea that he was strong and instead make it look like he was normal and everything else was weak (I'm aware that's how it ACTUALLY was for filming purposes, but that's not how the finished product should look, at least ideally). That means that the entire purpose of the scene was negated (at least for me) by its execution.

What I'm trying to get at is there is no sense of force. I understand he has super strength, so when he rips off a door knob it's because he's pulling really hard (it just looks effortless TO HIM) but the door knob doesn't know he has super strength. It doesn't just pop off out of fear, it takes the same total amount of force to break no matter how strong the person yanking on it is, so that stuff should react like it's being broken and not just pop apart as if it was designed to... Go and try pulling a knob off a crappy little bathroom door and see what the door does. I can guarantee that it won't stay completely static, it'll flex and creak and might even break or be forced open before the knob breaks. If someone with super strength did it, the door would still react the same way, the super guy would just make it look easy.

I suppose this is most likely a bit of a complaint about all movies that have some sort of super strength involved (they are of course using actors who aren't exactly super powered so it can be hard at times to get it to look like they are) but when there's a scene focusing on the new strength, I'd like to see a little more effort put in to make it look like he's extra strong instead of the things he's breaking being extra weak.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
okay, I don't think I'm gonna see this new one, but oddly enough... my biggest gripe with the Toby McGuire Spidy was that he naturally had the webbing, which ticked me off, it made Peter so much cooler when he had made the stuff himself with the canisters. So kudos for that.

Leethe1Girl

Apr 30, 2012
Ooookay, I realize I'm late in getting to this one but here we go anyway:

Sorry Greg, but as soon as you say you didn't hate Raimi's 3rd Spidey film you invalidated everything else in this post, guy. ;p You're entitled to like it of course, but please know that it makes you wrong, lol.

I am, trust me, one of the biggest Spidey fans you will ever come across and I am actually looking forward to this film. I wasn't sold on it at first but with the newer preview as well as these clips online, it seems to be getting better and better.

Andrew Garfield, who I would not have pegged for this role at ALL, has surprised me with how well he makes the contrast of being the lame-joke-cracking super-hero and the shy, awkward teenager.

I'm not really picking up on the "off"ness you notice in Garfield's delivery. And I think the aspect of him getting used to his powers is something that NEEDS to be explored, even if it's been done. That's just very much a Spider-man thing and I think it would be lacking if it wasn't there.

Leethe1Girl

Apr 30, 2012
Also, I find it astoundingly funny how people are suggesting Spider-man is being a dick to the guy in the second clip.

A dude holding a knife. A bad dude. Ready to attack him with it. And Spidey's the dick in this situation?

I'm sorry but if someone held out a knife to me I'd do my very best to beat his face until it caved in on itself.