Watch Now: Suicide Squad Comic-Con 2015 Trailer

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
You know, at first sight I really don't like the look of Leto's Joker, but at a second glance he does have a seriously creepy vibe going for him. He doesn't radiate madness so much as a warm delight at the suffering of others; Joker is supposed to be a multifaceted nutjob, but they could have done worse than going with the character's sadistic facet. Plus, Leto (in costume/makeup) kinda looks like a strung-out Steve Buscemi, which is a good thing when you're going for creepy. I reeeeaaaally don't like his voice and laugh, but all we've seen so far are a few snippets, so I guess they'll have enough time to try and win me over.

Smith looks to be in his element once again, which is always good. I just hope they don't make him the face of the squad. What happened to Deathstroke, anyway? Isn't he supposed to be the, y'know, leader of this group?

And whoever's playing Harley is doing a bang-up job. Terrific portrayal of the character, equally mad and fun.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Saltyk said:
endtherapture said:
And people wonder why people always say this forum is a hive for Marvel fanboys *rollseyes*

Harly Quinn looks incredible.
To be fair. The Marvel movies are at least entertaining. So far the DC movies are... bad.

I mean did you see Man of Steel? That movie is fucking awful. The CG was so bad (literally there are video game models that look better) and overused that I'd believe Goku was in those scenes before Superman. I damn near fell asleep during the second act, and I never do that watching movies.

I mean I tried to give it a chance. It even had some scenes and moments I liked, basically every early scene of Superman saving people, but that was all brought down by a just plain objectively bad movie. Only the biggest fanboy or most ignorant movie goer could forgive that terrible movie. And that's one of the better movies other than the Dark Knight movies.

Say what you will, but the worst Marvel movies still entertained me. It takes more than darkness and edge to be mature. I feel like DC is stuck in some teenage mindset about what is mature and misses actual maturity as a result. Comedic relief isn't childish, but thinking Man of Steel was mature sure is.

I wouldn't call the Escapist Marvel Fanboy territory. I'd say that DC needs to prove itself by making a good movie. I'm still waiting on it. And judging by the Batman V Superman trailer, I expect to continue waiting.

Their animated films have actually been fairly good, though.
I loved Man of Steel. Maybe I'm the only one. I've seen all the Marvel films too but the only ones I'd rave about are the two Captain Americas and the first Avengers film. But I really really liked Man of Steel. Most of the Marvel films are average to mediocre to bad for me. Just generic action films with a Marvel skin on them. Man of Steel has a really good score, art design, visual style for me so it just clicked to me.

vagabondwillsmile said:
endtherapture said:
Leto is channelling too much Ledger and not enough Hamill.

Bet Joker is the bad guy.
Hmmm. I'm 50/50 on the character of the Joker from this. Who is the joker to sit in someone's chair and let them put tattoos on him? Unless he did them himself - that would be different/more interesting. I could see him being all cut up and covered in scars, though. That would be pretty scary. I won't fault him for his method of whom to follow for portraying the character. I love Hamill's joker, but that's admittedly just a voice. I imagine performing visually, in front of the camera is informing a lot of his/and the director's artistic decisions in ways that are different from ADR work.

*Rant Incoming* I saw 30 Seconds to Mars concert once whilst overseas. Leto is an ass hole. Kanye's concert shenanigans don't even come close - just more publicised. After seeing the way he openly insulted the people that paid money to see him, I have a hard time with the idea of supporting anything he is a part of. He's skilled and talented for sure - and I think he will play the part convincingly. But he is a monumental ass hole. His concert got very, very uncomfortable. My friends who were native to the area strongly considered leaving. He toned it down after some people in the audience apparently let him know they were getting sick of it. I don't know why he seemingly thought noone in the audience could understand English or why he did any of the bullshit he did at the show. At the end, noone was begging for an encore. *END RANT*

Additionally, any time the title of the film is forced into an awkward line of dialogue - it's not a good sign of strong writing.

HOWEVER, Harley Quinn. She's going to pull a Hulk and steal the whole movie (and no I'm not a fan boy - the second Avengers movie was shit, except for Vision - he was awesome). And she seems to be perfectly cast. If I see it, it will be solely because of what the previews have shown of her performance. That's an extremely strong statement - that I want to see this movie now in spite of that Leto fucker.
Yeah I'm not sure about this "white trash" Joker. I'm sure he'll be a decent psychotic character, but I can't imagine this Joker being Batman's arch rival. He is like Zsaz with more personality, not the Clown Prince of Crime. But we will see.

Jared Leto is an incredible actor, and I really enjoy 30 Seconds to Mars, but on stage he's just an actor playing as a rock star - hence the peentention, arrogance etc. He's a big talent with a big ego.

Jury is still out, he could do a great Joker, he could be a divisive or a rubbish one. I would just like a Mark Hamill esque Joker on the big screen.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
My interest on viewing this trailer went from non existent (I almost didn't watch the trailer I cared so little) to minor (I might bother checking reviews when it comes out.)

I have never been a big fan of Quinn, and I don't like the look of this version. With one exception nothing else in the entire trailer was notable to me up to and including the joker, not enough was shown to make any sort of sense of it.

The exception is Amanda Waller. I love the character, if they can make a good version of Amanda Waller the entire movie will be worth seeing just for that.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Trailer sum up...

who's that? who's that? oh talking about bad guys... show bad guys... who's that?, who's that? oh Daenerys Targaryen upside in a a cage... lol nope, who's that? who's that? who's that? oh Will smith playing someone but I gotta ask who's that he's playing.... oh looks kinda like Batman riding a car, helicopter crashing in to shit hmmmm is that Daenerys Targaryen looking chick actually Harley Quinn? Oh I think it is... who's that, who's that, oh some more explosions, oh Joker, who's that? who's that, oh Joker again... hmmm Joker trying to be Heath Ledger's Joker, trailer ends.... Youtube loads Superman Vs Batman trailer I sigh and pity DC for trying so hard and have to say when Marvel release a movie trailer the world shits itself when DC release a trailer WB tries it's hardest to stop people from seeing it... really sums the whole DC movie Universe up doesn't it.... oh and who the fuck was that?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Teoes said:
It might even be topping the edginess of those pointing out how edgy everyone is being if they're not jizzing over the trailer.
Didn't say anyone had to like it. Hell, I didn't even say that I liked it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
If your edge lasts more than four hours, seek medical attention.
I think booze is the answer. Helps 'take the edge off'.

Trailer still does nothing for me, though.

Well, outside of Harley making me smile.
I mean, you'd have to be heartless to not smile...

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
The Gentleman said:
The Joker: As tempting as it would be to have the Joker as a villain, I don't think he's the big bad we're going to be seeing (or, at least, he won't be the target of the Suicide Squad). Joker's escapades rarely get to Waller-level interest, but he's definitely the kind of person Waller would toss into a room because she was looking for a high body count.
I agree that Joker typically isn't the kind of target Waller and the Squad usually go after, although there was that time he had a nuke, became an agent of the Iranian government and tried to kill all the leaders of the UN.[footnote]http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_A_Death_in_the_Family [/footnote] That would be up there. Otherwise, yeah, I would think they would be doing more government wetwork.

Guffe said:
As someone not into comics... (before a certain movie, when I see a movie I dig up all the info on past stuff about hero/villain/happening)
Is this movie about several "smaller villains" (suicide squad) getting to work (against their will) together to take down a "bigger badguy" (the Joker)?
If it isn't... what is the premise in short?

Most likely will watch at some point.
Pretty much. Traditionally, the Suicide Squad is a secret/"non-existent" team formed by the US Gov made up of captured supervillans to undertake extremely dangerous (suicidal) missions. The members are usually promised release if/when they survive a number of missions. They are kept under control by some means, usually surgically implanted bombs that can be detonated by their loving, kind-hearted, and all around sweet leader, Amanda Waller.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
The Wall is still too small, and about seven years too young, but like anyone is ever going to cast a mid fifties heavyset black woman in anything ever. Sigh.

Deadshot has a moustache not a goatee, if your actor can't pull off a moustache then he is the wrong actor for the job. Tim Olyphant, Josh Brolin, Colin Farrell, and Sam Jackson all have it, Will Smith not so much, but we can't tell if he won't even try.

Captain Boomerang, well as long as he is racist, sexist, lazy, manipulative, vicious, greedy and utterly amoral he will be close enough. The "heart" of classic Suicide Squad.

Rick Flag, meh. Which is a shame.

Slipknot, nah these collars are just a bluff mate, you should run.

I can't totally hate this, but I can't totally get behind it either, as I am such an Ostrander fan boy.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Looks alright, I just hope they don't try making Harley some sort of sympathetic anti-hero sort. Also since when is she one of the 'worst of the worst?'. Now admittedly I don't read the comics or any of that gooblygork, but as I recall she's basically a henchwoman, not really arch-villain material herself.

I mean what are her powers? Being crazy and vaguely athletic?

Don't recognize any of the others. Wasn't Deadshot the villain from Teen Titans? That's kinda neat I guess.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
The Madman said:
Looks alright, I just hope they don't try making Harley some sort of sympathetic anti-hero sort. Also since when is she one of the 'worst of the worst?'.
I read that as her referring to Joker not Harley.

Deu Sex

Aug 26, 2012
Looks like crap, to be honest. Who are all these jabronis anyways? Only characters I recognize are Joker, Harley, Killer Croc and Will Smith as Deathstroke (which I personally think is a neat casting choice). All of whom except Will Smith look like they're designed to appeal to 14-year olds who unironically enjoy nu metal. I have no clue who the hell coatman or tattooman are, or why I should be getting hyped for them.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
The Madman said:
Looks alright, I just hope they don't try making Harley some sort of sympathetic anti-hero sort. Also since when is she one of the 'worst of the worst?'. Now admittedly I don't read the comics or any of that gooblygork, but as I recall she's basically a henchwoman, not really arch-villain material herself.

I mean what are her powers? Being crazy and vaguely athletic?

Don't recognize any of the others. Wasn't Deadshot the villain from Teen Titans? That's kinda neat I guess.
Nah, you're thinking of Deathstroke. Deadshot is a Squad mainstay and has been seen in JLU and Arrow.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Deu Sex said:
Looks like crap, to be honest. Who are all these jabronis anyways? Only characters I recognize are Joker, Harley, Killer Croc and Will Smith as Deathstroke (which I personally think is a neat casting choice). All of whom except Will Smith look like they're designed to appeal to 14-year olds who unironically enjoy nu metal. I have no clue who the hell coatman or tattooman are, or why I should be getting hyped for them.
I don't think it should warrant 'looking like crap' just because there are characters you don't recognize. I had no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy were until the movie came around, since they're basically D-level characters, yet the previews made me excited for the movie.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Deu Sex said:
Will Smith is Deadshot, not Deathstroke. Deathstroke is awesome, Deadshot is ...ehh.

Tattooman is El Diablo. Other characters are Captain Boomerang, Slipknot, and Rick Flag.

Deu Sex

Aug 26, 2012
kris40k said:
Deu Sex said:
Will Smith is Deadshot, not Deathstroke. Deathstroke is awesome, Deadshot is ...ehh.

Tattooman is El Diablo. Other characters are Captain Boomerang, Slipknot, and Rick Flag.
With band-inspired character names like Slipknot, I'm wondering if DC is starting to take ideas from Jojo's Bizzare Adventure. Also that news about Will Smith is disappointing.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
It looks cool.

Killer Croc should be bigger but...well actually, in the animated series killer croc wasn't THAT big. Also I kinda like the fact they didn't give him this elongated croc face a lot of comics do. Maybe make him a bit bulkier, drop the electro hoody, but overall I like this Croc design.

Fuck everything about the Joker design. Fuck it. Fuuuuuck it. Too loud.

Harley's...eh.

Deadshot looks neat.

I don't know what they're trying to do with Captain Boomerang here. I don't care for his design in this and they honestly have a bit of work to do with his character for this. He's a B-lister honestly and that's only cause he's just apart of that weird gaggle of horribly ill equipped Flash villains. But Arrow made me think he was cool...like really cool.

Seriously, killed a guy before he was even in the room and only ever had to use 2 out of the 8 boomerangs he owns. Guys used em like knives. Guy made boomerangs make more sense than arrows as a weapon. (in TV comic book terms, please don't write me a paragraph on how wrong I am)

Everyone else is...everyone else. One of them is probably just there to blow up and I guarantee it's the tattoo guy.