Watch Star Wars Episode VII's First Official Trailer Right Here

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
This looks like a fan-made trailer. No real hype, things are WAY too fast paced for a teaser, everything is cheesy as fuck (the only acting we see is a really exaggerated "I just shit my pants" face) and the supposed lack of CGI isn't shown at all. It gives us no indication as to who the main protagonist (or villain) is; is it the guy in the stormtrooper outfit or the girl on the not-speeder?

Oh, and that cinematography was terrible. Looked like a generic war film, the shaky cam of the stormtroopers was a really bad offender.

Aug 1, 2010
At first I was disinterested because the Attack The Block kid doesn't look like someone who would be a soldier and the saber-crossguard seemed a bit odd, but when the Falcon appeared and the John Williams got going, I have to admit, I got a little giddy.

I'll probably end up enjoying this purely on the virtue of it being better than all the prequels put together.

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
Ok...I didn't like it?

It said nothing about the film just a bunch of disconnected scenes and..Just didn't have me hyped up, as a lot of people have said, the coolest scene in the trailer is the one with the X-Wings in the water, it's really cool and visually impressive, so i just liked it, it's basically Star Wars there.

About the Lightsaber...The Crossguard is stupid, it's really impratical, but the rest? It's ok, it's like the really old lightsabers that looked like actual Swords. Like the Blacksaber in the Clone Wars, or the lightsabers in the Star Wars Comics and EU in stories that happened at the the start of the Old Republic Era. So i actually like the design, maybe the saber is from an old Sith, and not a "new type" one.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I nearly tore my cheeks with the size of the smile that grew on my face as I watched this. I don't even care if the lightsaber is stupid, I am just so happy that Star Wars VII is happening.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
When the cross-guard came out on the lightsaber I just burst out laughing. Couldn't they just have used Cortosis weave?

I don't know. I wasn't too hyped up about this before and the teaser hasn't helped.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
kael013 said:
Jamieson 90 said:
I don't get why people are losing their shit over the guard on the lightsaber. There's a reason real swords have guards, they're there to stop your hand being chopped off, you know like what happened to Anakin, Count Dooku, Luke and Vader? If anything you would have thought they'd have learnt sooner.
It's all about practicality and aesthetic.

All those characters you mentioned lost their hands to swinging strikes to the wrist. The guard shown doesn't protect from that angle. Also, it's more of a danger to the wielder. Remember all those blade locks in the films where one fighter gives a line or two of exposition? With this lighsword that blade lock could end the fight because if it's pushed into the wielder's face at the wrong angle the "guard" will stab him - and at the length shown it would either be fatal or injure him badly enough for his opponent to easily dispatch him. And it wouldn't even protect against an opponent sliding the saber down towards the fingers: the blade emitters for the guard blades are extended enough the opponent's blade would slice through them instead of hitting the guard blades. All around the design is impractical.

Lightsabers were based on eastern weapon martial arts, katanas in particular, and based on what little research I've done, Japanese sword styles revolve around evading your opponent's strikes or deflecting with the sides of the blade (to avoid nicking the sharp edge and ruining the blade). Sure, lightsaber styles have branched out - Dooku's saber revolved around fencing - but all shown styles have had slashing strikes at their core. European sword designs were based around stabbing in order to cut through armor or powerful swings to knock the opponent off-balance. As such, the lightsword shown seems out of place because it's designed to defend against a sword style that isn't used in-universe.
Regardless of style I'll take a sword with some hand protection over a sword with none whatsoever any day of the week. Just like I'd always pick a sword that had the longer reach as it's a massive advantage. The same rules apply to lightsabers.

Maintaining a blade lock is a moronic thing to do, having a chat with your opponent whilst you're doing it even more so. Anyone who knows anything about swords will tell you that leverage is one of the most important aspects; if your blade locks with your opponent's then you slide your own blade either upwards or downwards until you have the leverage whereupon you push their blade to the side allowing you to attack them. Either you do that or they beat you to it, both of you don't just stand there. So saying the blades would get in the way of blade locks or would make them more dangerous is redundant because you wouldn't maintain a blade lock anyway.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Chessrook44 said:
For those of you complaining about the LightSword (As I think it should be called), just remember...

Such as the Light Whip
And the Light Tonfa
THIS. Thank you.

Even double bladed lightsabers are more impractical than a single blade with a cross guard. With a double blade you can only grip it in the center where the blades are not, limiting what you can do with it.

It's too early to tell, but so far I don't see much to complain about.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
People forget no normal person is using a lightsaber so they are only impractical if you are not a force adapt.... also its called a crossguard lightsaber from the now dead EU.

I also like the prequales altho the acting and script I ignore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This didn't show me much, it didn't impress me much, but I did enjoy the shot of the Falcon. Seriously, the best part was the intro of the Williams theme and the Falcon.

Scarim Coral said:
Also light crossguard now?
Considering how many SWRPG fans have done something like this (And I think it exists in supplements), I'm surprised it took them this long.

Xeorm said:
I'm not sure. That lightsaber broadsword made me absolutely cringe.
While I rolled my eyes at that, I don't even think it's the worst part of the trailer. When I saw the Stormtrooper pop up at the beginning of the teaser, I checked to make sure it wasn't a parody. And then the Pixar droid. These strike me as worse. Though the stormtrooper may simply be a "bad foot forward."

shadowmagus said:
Why is everyone flipping out about this ligthsaber and its design when we know nothing about it? It clearly looks primitive simply by how much its sparking so it creates a lot of questions (thus the point of a teaser). Settle the hell down.
Yes, questions like "how stupid is this?" and "Really, how stupid is this?"

Brilliant job of getting people to ask questions, so why are you telling people to settle down over them?

Chessrook44 said:
For those of you complaining about the LightSword (As I think it should be called), just remember...
You left out the light nunchucks.

Britpoint said:
I think it felt very 'Star Wars'. Part of the charm of the original trilogy, in my opinion, was the somewhat rough around the edges cinematography. I mean, this is the only 'professional' film franchise I know of that manages to make those Windows Movie Maker screen wipes work. This teaser felt appropriate to that style.
Star Wars has always been essentially a hugely successful B movie series, so yeah. I agree.

Drakoorr said:
You know, when I first saw the lightsaber w/crossguard, I groaned a bit too, but thinking about it it's actually quite reasonable for the same reasons as real swords having had crossguards, only more so because there's no gauntlet in the galaxy that will save your hand from a lightsaber.
Depends on if they keep cortosis weave and force gauntlets from the EU. Crossguards lose effectiveness, though, when they're lethal to you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jamieson 90 said:
I don't get why people are losing their shit over the guard on the lightsaber. There's a reason real swords have guards, they're there to stop your hand being chopped off, you know like what happened to Anakin, Count Dooku, Luke and Vader? If anything you would have thought they'd have learnt sooner.
I'm curious as to which of these hand losses you think this cross guard would have prevented. Most or all of them came from strikes that would be parallel to the plane of the guard.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I know this doesn't look nearly as bad as the prequels where, but god this did not make me feel excited at all. It just looked and felt like a well make fan film or a made-for-tv-movie type production. I know we have a whole year of post for them to work the kinks out, but god my hopes that this would rekindle the franchise are gone.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jamieson 90 said:
I'm curious as to which of these hand losses you think this cross guard would have prevented. Most or all of them came from strikes that would be parallel to the plane of the guard.
Didn't General Grievous lose a saber because Obi-Wan ran his saber down his blade?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
And of ALL the things people choose to complain about, it's the crossguard light saber. Which isn't even the most impractical light saber design by a long shot. Heck, at least a laser hilt makes sense unlike the light saber tonfas, light saber whip, and double-bladed light saber. And I'll tell you WHY they designed it that way for the movie: because it looks COOL. And it does. It also helps give off a certain menace which is perfect for a Sith.

Anyway, at the end of the day this is a teaser; it's a bunch of out of context scenes that draw people's attention, but isn't enough to really glean info from. Although, we do see that John Boyega is apparently a Storm Trooper (or maybe a Republic soldier considering it's been thirty years since the fall of the Empire), Daisy Ridley is on Tatooine like he is, and it seems that Oscar Isaac is a pilot (or at least I think that's him). At the very least the chances of it being as much of a mess as the prequels is slim. I'm also surprised they didn't show any of the old guard. However, I guess it kinda makes sense this is supposed to be a story about the new generation.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jamieson 90 said:
Didn't General Grievous lose a saber because Obi-Wan ran his saber down his blade?
I think I know the bit you're talking about , but don't have episode 3 handy and the only version I saw on YouTube was so blurry I couldn't tell what was happening. But even assuming that's true, that's one out of how many examples?

Zontar said:
I know this doesn't look nearly as bad as the prequels where, but god this did not make me feel excited at all. It just looked and felt like a well make fan film or a made-for-tv-movie type production. I know we have a whole year of post for them to work the kinks out, but god my hopes that this would rekindle the franchise are gone.
I'll take a well-made fan film over the prequels.

My name is JACK

Aug 10, 2014
Chessrook44 said:

Such as the Light Whip
And the Light Tonfa
thank you for reminding everyone

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
The other thing about that lightsaber is that it obviously isn't a normal lightsaber in any sense of the word. It looks like it's made out of red lightning, like the power's been cranked up to 11 and the energy can barely be contained.

Certainly not an elegant weapon for a more civilised age, this one.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jamieson 90 said:
I think I know the bit you're talking about , but don't have episode 3 handy and the only version I saw on YouTube was so blurry I couldn't tell what was happening. But even assuming that's true, that's one out of how many examples?
From the top of my head I can think of 5 examples of when someone got their hand(s) cut off due to a light saber. 1) Anakin, 2) Count Dooku, (3) General Grievous, 4) Luke and 5) Vader.

Of those 5 examples, if we accept that only one would have been prevented by the guard, that's still a 1 in 5 probability of saving your hand opposed to a 0 in 5 chance. Would you really turn down something that would give you an extra 20% chance of survival?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
It's trying new things... A few shots of new robots, vehicles, and lightsabers doesn't give enough for me to make up my mind. I think all three of those things look kinda stupid. Though seeing a Stormtrooper without a mask is pretty awesome.