Watch the Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Gameplay Video

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It's already running on a PC... seriously Kojima... it's been more than 10 years since Metal Gear 2, can we already have a Metal Gear for PC?, it looks seriously awesome and I'm going to kill some kittens if it doesn't get a PC release.

Or I could burrow my cousin's PS3, that could also work :p

dicai

Jun 4, 2009
Stainlesssteele4 said:

If you can't tell, I'm angry. In attempting to find out of GZ was actually coming to PC, I stumbled across an article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, in which the author claimed "My feeling is that PC gaming is dead, and that no one should attempt to launch games on the platform, for any reason."
This coupled with you being an asshole and shitting on My preferred platform sent me into a fit of rage. Hence the rant.
I don't mean to start or perpetuate a flame war. You've just made me angry.

That went completely over your head, didn't it? Just look at the slogan of Rock, Paper, Shotgun:pC GAMING since 1873...(I have my suspicions that the date might be, in fact, not true.)

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Man, did everyone skip MGS3, Portable Ops, and Peace Walker? I know it's hilarious to joke about the cutscene to gameplay ratio with MGS, but with the 'Prologue/Big Boss' series they've all been very balanced. Portable Ops only had 3 cutscenes, and Peace Walker didn't have a cutscene longer than 8 minutes!

Another thing is the bloated story arc; The Prologues have all tied into each other nicely and kept them rather simple.

I'm pumped. This just reminds me to go back and get all the trophies for MGS4 and MGS2.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Yes. Good. I am happy with this. I need me some more MGS. I should prolly get the HD collection now that I mention it... Hmm. Lots of stuff to do.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Fuck...if this doesn't get released for the 360 I'm going to have to break down and buy a PS3. Damn you MGS series!...and yet I'm elated at the chance to play a HK MGS game again. HURRAY!!!

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Aarowbeatsdragon said:
GenGenners said:
You mean aside from what looks to be a completely different game engine? The pre- and post-Platinum Games trailers look quite different.
Same game engine but with reskinned graphics, the original trailers were literally only tech demo's and nothing else.
Well the old trailers demonstrated much better physics. That, and the new trailers definitely graphically look like Platinum Games' other games, suggesting Platinum Games stuffed some of their own stuff in there.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
That's definitely Big Boss, the Tech is too old fashioned for this to be post Metal Gear Solid 4 and he makes reference to "Chico" and "Paz" two characters from Peace Walker, he also references Mother Base, another Peace Walker thing.

Still, looking forward to a "Big Boss" game made for the PS3.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
BrionJames said:
Fuck...if this doesn't get released for the 360 I'm going to have to break down and buy a PS3. Damn you MGS series!...and yet I'm elated at the chance to play a HK MGS game again. HURRAY!!!
This may end up being released for the next-gen consoles, depending on how long it takes to be released and when the next-gen consoles are released. But as this game is supposed to be developed on the new Fox engine, it will most likely be multi-platform, as thats the main reason for the Fox Engine.

Though I wont complain if it is released before the next-gen's, cause this looks awesome.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
So the burnt man is quite possibly Volgin, though I'm not quite sure what's going on there unless he had ties to Zadornov and Paz? But it looks like Mother Base and MSF have been compromised. That's definitely Big Boss, note the eye patch. The kid in the cage might be Chico, though there's every chance thi game could have expand on Big Boss' campaign with child soldiers.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
SkarKrow said:
worldfest said:
SkarKrow said:
worldfest said:
After that, real gaming critics and journalists have to waste their hours writing articles about the obvious changing conditions in video games instead of why SquareEnix hasn't a clue what to do in selling Final Fantasy to western audiences.

Ripple effect.
Well Squeenix could start by making them like proper RPG's again rather than watered down mash-X-to-win affairs like 13.
At least two of us see the light. There's simply no immersion in the repetition of their gameplay, pressing 'x' every eight seconds.
Yup, 13-2 was better but still crappy, they shot themselves in the foot with the battle system. Say what you want about 12 but at least you had to use your brain to suceed in that game, same with 10, yes it's slower, but it's a lot more engrossing to play.

This is where X-2 comes in. It has an appalling story. It ruins characters I loved. It introduced Payne. But fucking hell it had an outstanding battle system.
Yeah. Actually, FFXIII-2 demo was a little nostalgic because of X-2. Both felt whimsical in an air-head way.

12 was a Homerean Epic, and X was an Odyssean Epic (and my introduction to the series, which is why it's my favorite).

Old RPG combat lent an element of immersion as you directly controlled all of the characters' actions. That's what holds 10 over 12 in my opinion. 12 was never expansive enough, unless you bought a guide or looked up faqs. The same could be said for X, but 12 had that stupid ratio drop and treasure looting % that got on my nerves. I'm still missing the best shield and sword in the game because of those. X Let me customize for ultimate armor.

12 Had a complex series of characters, but whereas Tidus was the main character, that street-rat Vaan just got in the way after about 5 hours; and which was about the same time I had started using Ashe, Balthier and Fran as my party -- they seemed most the crucial to the story (and Fran for other obvious reasons :D ).

The combat in 13 would have worked if we had more diversity in monsters, where we were constantly changing up paradigms. It's like reworking GT5 controls where the L2 & R2 are Gas and Breaks, and L1 & R1 shift gears -- my fingers were terribly busy in several races, and that worked wonders with how much fun I was having.

That wasn't the case for 13, so combat became pretty mundane. Imagine if combat ran like Mass Effect? Freaking game of the -- well maybe not but it would have been loads more fun, and I just might have cared about what went on in the ending.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
worldfest said:
SkarKrow said:
worldfest said:
SkarKrow said:
worldfest said:
After that, real gaming critics and journalists have to waste their hours writing articles about the obvious changing conditions in video games instead of why SquareEnix hasn't a clue what to do in selling Final Fantasy to western audiences.

Ripple effect.
Well Squeenix could start by making them like proper RPG's again rather than watered down mash-X-to-win affairs like 13.
At least two of us see the light. There's simply no immersion in the repetition of their gameplay, pressing 'x' every eight seconds.
Yup, 13-2 was better but still crappy, they shot themselves in the foot with the battle system. Say what you want about 12 but at least you had to use your brain to suceed in that game, same with 10, yes it's slower, but it's a lot more engrossing to play.

This is where X-2 comes in. It has an appalling story. It ruins characters I loved. It introduced Payne. But fucking hell it had an outstanding battle system.
Yeah. Actually, FFXIII-2 demo was a little nostalgic because of X-2. Both felt whimsical in an air-head way.

12 was a Homerean Epic, and X was an Odyssean Epic (and my introduction to the series, which is why it's my favorite).

Old RPG combat lent an element of immersion as you directly controlled all of the characters' actions. That's what holds 10 over 12 in my opinion. 12 was never expansive enough, unless you bought a guide or looked up faqs. The same could be said for X, but 12 had that stupid ratio drop and treasure looting % that got on my nerves. I'm still missing the best shield and sword in the game because of those. X Let me customize for ultimate armor.

12 Had a complex series of characters, but whereas Tidus was the main character, that street-rat Vaan just got in the way after about 5 hours; and which was about the same time I had started using Ashe, Balthier and Fran as my party -- they seemed most the crucial to the story (and Fran for other obvious reasons :D ).

The combat in 13 would have worked if we had more diversity in monsters, where we were constantly changing up paradigms. It's like reworking GT5 controls where the L2 & R2 are Gas and Breaks, and L1 & R1 shift gears -- my fingers were terribly busy in several races, and that worked wonders with how much fun I was having.

That wasn't the case for 13, so combat became pretty mundane. Imagine if combat ran like Mass Effect? Freaking game of the -- well maybe not but it would have been loads more fun, and I just might have cared about what went on in the ending.
In 12 I think I used Vaan because idkl why, then I used Balthier because I really liked him and then I used Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca because he has literally the best name of all time. He also made a great "dark knight" set up in my experience, having stellar durability and physical power, with enough HP to make soul eater viable.

10 was also my first game and is still my favourite to this day, only problem I had was the post game was hard as hell and if you didn't know that there was a shadow aeon in a location and ran into it by accident you could lose a lot of time due to them being dicks.

I've not played the first mass effect i must say and 2 bored me so I never bothered with 3 ):

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Grenge Di Origin said:
worldfest said:
And for all of those other comments, SCREW PC. I don't know how it was four years ago, but in this age, serious gamers use "market" consoles. Who the hell wastes time upgrading their PC each year, and only enough to put settings on Uber High -- and just to match their console counterparts.
Oh look at that, an insecure console gamer incapable of saving up to afford building a gaming PC that doesn't know what he's talking about. You gonna cry, bro?
the PC will always get the hand-me down, lesser-man's, younger brother's port. Unless of course, you play an online MMO, then you're life's already screwed.
Crysis says "hi".
Crysis 2 says "Hey *****, how's it hanging?" > >

Just building my rig and it's pushing £900 and still won't be a huge lover of Crysis 2 above 1920x1080 if it's on ultra settings.

Also Crysis 2 on the PS3 had a lot less detail, not to mention horribly laggy multiplayer with dodgy collision detection. Will be rebuyingon PC once it hits a sale on steam.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
SkarKrow said:
worldfest said:
SkarKrow said:
worldfest said:
SkarKrow said:
worldfest said:

Ripple effect.

In 12 I think I used Vaan because idkl why, then I used Balthier because I really liked him and then I used Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca because he has literally the best name of all time. He also made a great "dark knight" set up in my experience, having stellar durability and physical power, with enough HP to make soul eater viable.

10 was also my first game and is still my favourite to this day, only problem I had was the post game was hard as hell and if you didn't know that there was a shadow aeon in a location and ran into it by accident you could lose a lot of time due to them being dicks.

I've not played the first mass effect i must say and 2 bored me so I never bothered with 3 ):
I only played Mass Effect 2. I skipped all of the conversation button-mashing 'x' until the fighting started. The levels are all generic, but the combat really was fluid.

Awe, that's right you had the international version of 10. There was only one boss I couldn't defeat because of the time it took to make armor -- by then I was just burned out on farming; I haven't done anything so useless since... since 13, what with its complete lack of mini-games. But one Ultimate weapon was enough for me.

Never really used Technikes in 12, or even magicks that much. Just crafted the best weapons. Too bad by the time you have all of the best weapons, the hardest bosses were already defeated. And I think you needed to beat the hardest boss to get the final weapon so there's just so little reward left.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
worldfest said:
Idk if I had international X?
But I managed a couple of celestial weapons, arguabley there are better weapons depeding on character, some of them were just a huge ball ache to get though. Like I think Lulu's was just stupid with the lightning dodging.

12 I used various things on various plays, I didn't have to grind a lot and used spells and techniks with some intelligence, or at least the useful techniks, none of that crap based on steps or the time. Soul Eater and Gil Toss were very useful. As for weapons I managed to get good ones just fine, the Zodiac Spear is in an optional area but it's easy to get before the last boss if you dont fuck up and you CAN get a second one elsewhere but I don't remember how, I think the chance was ridiculously low in some chest.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Rednog said:
Run it on a PC and yet it will never see the light of day for PC gamers, I hate you video game industry...I hate you so very much.
Uhhh, how do you think video games are made? Some kind of magical development kit built straight into the console?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Scrythe said:
Rednog said:
Run it on a PC and yet it will never see the light of day for PC gamers, I hate you video game industry...I hate you so very much.
Uhhh, how do you think video games are made? Some kind of magical development kit built straight into the console?
Uhhh, big difference between coding something on a PC and it actually running on the PC. They were actually playing the game on a PC.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
worldfest said:
And for all of those other comments, SCREW PC. I don't know how it was four years ago, but in this age, serious gamers use "market" consoles. Who the hell wastes time upgrading their PC each year, and only enough to put settings on Uber High -- and just to match their console counterparts.
Aww, that's wrong, but it's cute that you thought that. *pats on the head* have a treat for amusing me, you silly creature.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
SkarKrow said:
worldfest said:
Idk if I had international X?
But I managed a couple of celestial weapons, arguabley there are better weapons depeding on character, some of them were just a huge ball ache to get though. Like I think Lulu's was just stupid with the lightning dodging.

12 I used various things on various plays, I didn't have to grind a lot and used spells and techniks with some intelligence, or at least the useful techniks, none of that crap based on steps or the time. Soul Eater and Gil Toss were very useful. As for weapons I managed to get good ones just fine, the Zodiac Spear is in an optional area but it's easy to get before the last boss if you dont fuck up and you CAN get a second one elsewhere but I don't remember how, I think the chance was ridiculously low in some chest.
1/1000 chance for 2nd Z-Spear. I remember freaking out, "What the hell!!!! You can get the first one fairly early, including a Deathbringer a couple of hours in, which means the challenge is pretty much over for the last 3/4 of the game. (Why I remember this still puzzles me.)

You're from the UK. You have the international version. US doesn't have dark aeons or that extra boss.
For me, the hardest game was the butterflies. I was so astonished when I beat it, having lost all hope. But at least you interacted with the world instead of just farming for items to sell for $ to buy the items for upgrading in 13.

This is why I can't make up my mind with Hideo. Like FF developers over-thought their battle system for simplicity's sake and took the fun out of it, he could very well over-think the plot arc and have me watching a huge portion of the game, again. Graphics work, but for me MGS4's dialogue didn't shine like in U2, but that is all about pacing.