WB Announces "Metropolis" A Superman Prequel Series For Digital Streaming

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Is it that hard to simply make Superman just fly, have heat vision/Ice Breath, and strong enough to lift a truck, but not move and destroy whole planets?

I am not asking for Superman to be God here :p
Superman is simply the Mary Sue of Superheroes. Superman was already ridiculously powerful when he was first created, then as the decades went by and those who grew up reading Superman comics became his writers they made him even more massively powerful because they loved him so much... despite how horrifically badly written a character he is.
How about you actually pick up a Superman comic before you spout of nonsense about how badly written he is? There's more to Superman than being stupid powerful.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
immortalfrieza said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Is it that hard to simply make Superman just fly, have heat vision/Ice Breath, and strong enough to lift a truck, but not move and destroy whole planets?

I am not asking for Superman to be God here :p
Superman is simply the Mary Sue of Superheroes. Superman was already ridiculously powerful when he was first created, then as the decades went by and those who grew up reading Superman comics became his writers they made him even more massively powerful because they loved him so much... despite how horrifically badly written a character he is.
How about you actually pick up a Superman comic before you spout of nonsense about how badly written he is? There's more to Superman than being stupid powerful.
Start with these:

I so want to read Peace on Earth because of that Kingdom Come Art style (if it is even handdrawn art?)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Casual Shinji said:
My point is that Superman operating under the mentality that it's okay to wreck cities and putting people in harms way, possibly killing them, as long as he saves the planet is kind of a bad one, and not very fitting for the character.
Oh for goodness sake...

The kryptonians are the ones who are invading. They're the ones with the intention of altering Earth to suit their own needs. They're the ones who are levelling Metropolis. They're the one led by a general whose stated intent is to kill as many humans as possible. Whatever damage Supes may do in that battle, that's a price worth paying.

At this point it's like saying a city comes under siege, the defenders repel the attackers, and then get blamed for the collateral damage they inflict upon their own city in the process. Again, unless you want to make the argument that Superman should be perfect, that he should be able to save every person all the time, with no reprecussions, this isn't a critique of what the film is, it's a critique of what people feel it should be.

Casual Shinji said:
The world engine was already out of commission by that point since Supes busted the one on the other side of the planet. That ship posed very little threat other then crashing into Metropolis, which happens anyway thanks to Supes.
The world engine is still levelling Metropolis, Zod's ship is after the airplane, and we can only speculate what one world engine would do as opposed to two (not as much damage, but what effects would it continue to have?) Again, decisions made in the heat of the moment, and accepting collateral damage as part of the bigger picture.

That was already thoroughly depicted by the world engine smushing Metropolis. That crash was just there as a money shot.
It's still part of the same overall conflict. There's very little that's gratuitous about it - not narratively, and not thematically.

Casual Shinji said:
That's because it's a good argument. It's not about whether Supes CAN get him out of Metroplis, but that we don't even see him try AT ALL.
He barely gets the opportunity to try AT ALL. What you're describing would either undersell the threat of Zod, or make Supes come across as a dumbass.

Casual Shinji said:
And we really don't see Superman struggle much against Zod.
Watch it again. He barely holds his own. The only reason he wins is because Zod effectively lets them.

Casual Shinji said:
All we see is the two of them bashing into one another without leaving a scratch on themselves. There's not one moment where we see Superman genuinely getting injured. So on that front the fight is actually pretty boring.
As opposed to when he is injured? Like, when does that ever occur in a Superman film?

Something I have to give MoS props for is that even if it made Supes near invulnerable, I still felt a sense of vulnerability in the fights, given the strengths of his opponents. Also helps that Zod is an actual developed character, so there's the emotional payoff as well.

Casual Shinji said:
Surface level for a surface character.
Whatever deep characterization Supes may have in other media, this is the first film that has to set up an origin story. You need to establish a character first. And, to me, MoS was the first time that Supes was actually interesting at all - a flawed character is much more interesting than a perfect one (usually).

Casual Shinji said:
Remember that line I quoted from Lois Lane in All-Star Superman? That was just one line, and it did wonders to give you an idea of what it's like to be Superman. There's another scene where we see Superman fly into space and revel in the fact that he can do that, and just casually chill on the Moon and gaze upon the Earth.

It doesn't need to be a codex worth of exposition, you can easily do this quickly and visually.
What does any of that have to do with magic?

Also, visual storytelling? Again, MoS has that, such as the "first flight" sequence.

Also, ASS (huh...interesting acronym) is either a 12 issue comic series, or a film that expects one to already be familiar with Superman. MoS is neither of those things. If ASS has more in-depth characterization than MoS, good for it, but it's not a 1:1 comparison from what I can tell.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXB7xOT5dTY

(How the fuck did this not generate the same uproar?)

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Casual Shinji said:
Supes doesn't attempt to restrain him, or knock him out of Metropolis/grab him and fly him out of Metropoplis, doesn't try to mitigate the amount of destruction his and Zod's actions are causing, or try to shield other people from danger. There's a scene where Zod throws a gas tanker and Supes, which slowly sides along the road toward him. And instead of stopping it, he casually glides out of its path to let it crash and explode into the building behind him.

Again, every action is designed so that the movie can show us as much destruction as possible. Which isn't what Superman is about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl_5UwS57X8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyj9ORkj8w

Casual Shinji said:
And that's the problem overall with Supes in the Snyder movies; he hardly ever shows restraint or dicipline. Even when he's flying away, he does with such force that it cracks the concrete.
I know right? Should have just sent him careening into a jukebox or set him on fire like a real Superman would have.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
My point is that Superman operating under the mentality that it's okay to wreck cities and putting people in harms way, possibly killing them, as long as he saves the planet is kind of a bad one, and not very fitting for the character.
Oh for goodness sake...

The kryptonians are the ones who are invading. They're the ones with the intention of altering Earth to suit their own needs. They're the ones who are levelling Metropolis. They're the one led by a general whose stated intent is to kill as many humans as possible. Whatever damage Supes may do in that battle, that's a price worth paying.

At this point it's like saying a city comes under siege, the defenders repel the attackers, and then get blamed for the collateral damage they inflict upon their own city in the process. Again, unless you want to make the argument that Superman should be perfect, that he should be able to save every person all the time, with no reprecussions, this isn't a critique of what the film is, it's a critique of what people feel it should be.

Casual Shinji said:
The world engine was already out of commission by that point since Supes busted the one on the other side of the planet. That ship posed very little threat other then crashing into Metropolis, which happens anyway thanks to Supes.
The world engine is still levelling Metropolis, Zod's ship is after the airplane, and we can only speculate what one world engine would do as opposed to two (not as much damage, but what effects would it continue to have?) Again, decisions made in the heat of the moment, and accepting collateral damage as part of the bigger picture.

That was already thoroughly depicted by the world engine smushing Metropolis. That crash was just there as a money shot.
It's still part of the same overall conflict. There's very little that's gratuitous about it - not narratively, and not thematically.

Casual Shinji said:
That's because it's a good argument. It's not about whether Supes CAN get him out of Metroplis, but that we don't even see him try AT ALL.
He barely gets the opportunity to try AT ALL. What you're describing would either undersell the threat of Zod, or make Supes come across as a dumbass.

Casual Shinji said:
Watch it again. He barely holds his own. The only reason he wins is because Zod effectively lets them.

Casual Shinji said:
All we see is the two of them bashing into one another without leaving a scratch on themselves. There's not one moment where we see Superman genuinely getting injured. So on that front the fight is actually pretty boring.
As opposed to when he is injured? Like, when does that ever occur in a Superman film?

Something I have to give MoS props for is that even if it made Supes near invulnerable, I still felt a sense of vulnerability in the fights, given the strengths of his opponents. Also helps that Zod is an actual developed character, so there's the emotional payoff as well.

Casual Shinji said:
Whatever deep characterization Supes may have in other media, this is the first film that has to set up an origin story. You need to establish a character first. And, to me, MoS was the first time that Supes was actually interesting at all - a flawed character is much more interesting than a perfect one (usually).

Casual Shinji said:
Remember that line I quoted from Lois Lane in All-Star Superman? That was just one line, and it did wonders to give you an idea of what it's like to be Superman. There's another scene where we see Superman fly into space and revel in the fact that he can do that, and just casually chill on the Moon and gaze upon the Earth.

It doesn't need to be a codex worth of exposition, you can easily do this quickly and visually.

Also, visual storytelling? Again, MoS has that, such as the "first flight" sequence.

Also, ASS (huh...interesting acronym) is either a 12 issue comic series, or a film that expects one to already be familiar with Superman. MoS is neither of those things. If ASS has more in-depth characterization than MoS, good for it, but it's not a 1:1 comparison from what I can tell.

Edit:

It did, and some of that uproar was in-universe. Captain Marvel quits the Justice League because he thinks Superman has lost his way after that fight. Luthor played him like a puppet and won.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Gordon_4 said:
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
Oh for goodness sake...

Casual Shinji said:

Casual Shinji said:

Casual Shinji said:

Casual Shinji said:

Casual Shinji said:

Casual Shinji said:

Edit:

It did, and some of that uproar was in-universe. Captain Marvel quits the Justice League because he thinks Superman has lost his way after that fight. Luthor played him like a puppet and won.
I think he's talking about uproar from the audience not the characters in universe.