We are Team Siren

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Devoneaux said:
My point exactly. If the positions were reversed and it were a group of men being given success without having to actually work for it, you'd be yelling with the loudest of them, but when it's women? Nope, couldn't care less.
How are they being handed anything?
I'm not even talking about people who have issue with what they do, I'm talking about people who get annoyed at their approach.

Some people might think they're not good enough for competitive play, which if that's the case, they'll just lose.
I don't see the big deal there.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
So, in theory, if really good male player (lets assume he is at least as good as their best player) would like to join this team
[due to- being rejected by anyone else/brain damage/century old curse/unresolved sexual issues/whatever]
would they reject him?
If no, then you can't call your team "all-female team".
If yes, then it is stupid and sexist.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Phasmal said:
Devoneaux said:
My point exactly. If the positions were reversed and it were a group of men being given success without having to actually work for it, you'd be yelling with the loudest of them, but when it's women? Nope, couldn't care less.
I'm not even talking about people who have issue with what they do, I'm talking about people who get annoyed at their approach.

Some people might think they're not good enough for competitive play, which if that's the case, they'll just lose.
I believe he means being handed sponsorships/housing and a income for playing a video game when they don't have the required skill to be in the position they are in. Sure, if they play and lose it'll just end at that.

But that they even have the chance to compete, when they are such a low skill team is unfair to many other teams out there that won't get a chance. I'm not blaming the girls here, it's more whoever manages the team and wants to create controversy/publicity for an all girl team.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
DugMachine said:
Phasmal said:
Devoneaux said:

I believe he means being handed sponsorships/housing and a income for playing a video game when they don't have the required skill to be in the position they are in. Sure, if they play and lose it'll just end at that.

But that they even have the chance to compete, when they are such a low skill team is unfair to many other teams out there that won't get a chance. I'm not blaming the girls here, it's more whoever manages the team and wants to create controversy/publicity for an all girl team.
Do they actually have sponsorship then?
I don't know why Devon wants to approach that with me, seeing as I stated (repeatedly) that I'm just irritated by the people getting mad about them making a point of being girls.

Yeah it may suck they're using it as a gimmick, but gimmicks work.
Lets work to get to a point where it's not a gimmick, and where you're not male unless said otherwise.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Tenmar said:
Scarlett is transgendered? Well that's news to me. So does she consider herself a woman or a man? Also, did she start out as a man or a woman? Sorry I'm just curious when it comes to that stuff and would like to use the appropriate words.

But yeah I've seen Scarlett play at some big exhibition games and tournaments. Scarlett is pretty good.
She's a male-to-female transwoman by the looks of it. Started HRT early on so visually she virtually indistinguishable from your average girl. Very lucky, and very skilled.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Devoneaux said:
Just out of curiosity in case I missed something, has anyone here actually hated on them simply for being women? I know people like that exist, but are they present in this thread?
Not particularly, I'm commenting about the people OP mentioned `hating on them`.
There are a few people in these threads I disagree with, but nobody here is being particularly offensive, which is why I am not calling anyone out in particular, just expressing irritation with a small portion of the wider gaming community.
The `people like that`.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Phasmal said:
DugMachine said:
Phasmal said:
Devoneaux said:

Do they actually have sponsorship then?
I don't know why Devon wants to approach that with me, seeing as I stated (repeatedly) that I'm just irritated by the people getting mad about them making a point of being girls.

Yeah it may suck they're using it as a gimmick, but gimmicks work.
Lets work to get to a point where it's not a gimmick, and where you're not male unless said otherwise.
Actually I'll retract my statement. I can't find any info on sponsorship. I'm just assuming they are because most teams with a Team house have sponsors and managers who fund this. I can't find information whether or not they're paying it out of their own pocket, but if they are that's cool too.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Video's painfully cheesy, but I hope they do well if for no other reason than to encourage more female representation in the League community.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Im sure the Lol community reacted with its usual maturity and understanding...ppfffft So how many comments in reply to that vid? 10k? Yeh that sounds right, now how many of those comments are a variation of saying they are ugly or crap i wonder?

Anyways best of luck to these lasses, i only just climbed out of the depths of bronze 5 so gold tier seems the summit of mount olympus to me.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Devoneaux said:
I am saying they got their sponsership just for being ladies and not because they are actually capable.
I'm not exactly seeing the bad side here, assuming they are sponsored (and some of the posters above me suggest they aren't).

Look at sports, tv programs, and everything else that can get sponsorship deals - actual quality doesn't seem to be an issue so far as their brand gets seen. If someone thinks the sirens are a good way to get their brand noticed, why shouldn't they sponsor them?

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
I don't care if they're girls or guys, that was a pretty terrible video.
Look, we're going to throw out a bunch of stats and look up at the camera dramatically, and the viewers will like us because we're different!
The half-second clips they had only had flashes of gameplay, disorienting the viewer more than showing off the team's skill level.
And about the time the mid player said "I'll bait you and outsmart you," I was done with the team. Insulting the viewers? Yeah, sounds like a great idea. Doublelift is at least entertaining, and has spent time proving he's exceptionally good at ADC and the "everyone else is bad" attitude. The laid back trash talking is expected of him. But the Siren mid player has no background, and hasn't proven herself. At least Doublelift has the tact to not say "you" in vids/interviews.
Also, as someone else said, they haven't really been proven in the actual competitive scene. Playing ranked gold isn't the same as playing in challenger, and it seems like they are relying on being a girl team over being a guy team.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Devoneaux said:
Windknight said:
Devoneaux said:
I am saying they got their sponsership just for being ladies and not because they are actually capable.
I'm not exactly seeing the bad side here, assuming they are sponsored (and some of the posters above me suggest they aren't).

Look at sports, tv programs, and everything else that can get sponsorship deals - actual quality doesn't seem to be an issue so far as their brand gets seen. If someone thinks the sirens are a good way to get their brand noticed, why shouldn't they sponsor them?
You don't see a problem if competency takes a back seat to marketability? Wouldn't that cheapen the merit of the actual competitions?

"Congratulations, you just beat a team who's job is first and foremost to bring attention to their sponsors and not to actually win."

Edit: I know this is a bit off topic but I want you to take part in a thought with me. Is there any aspect in your life that would be improved if the quality/competency of whatever show/product/service/ect. took a back seat to how well it could be marketed?
because every football team that gets sponsored will win the cup every year.

because every motor racing team will win the championship every year

because every tv show made is a critical and ratings darling.

Sponsorship is NOT about quality. It is NOT about talent. Its about GETTING YOUR BRAND OUT THERE. Going back to motorsport, look at the F1 cars, they are literally covered in sponsors brand markings.

Not every team can be the best. Not every team will be the ones bringing home the cup. but guess what? chances are some company out there will sponsor those teams, because those teams will still have fans, will still have a big adverts emblazoned on them. why should this particular team not be sponsored?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I just think it's hilariously cheesy and way, WAY too over the top. You would think they were humanity's last bastion of hope with this trailer. Instead they just play LoL.

If other teams have posted videos about their team like this could someone please send me them? I'm really in a laughing mood tonight.

All that said, I'm pretty glad there are competitive female players. I'm worried this vitriol will discourage others from participating in esports.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
DugMachine said:
So this has caused the latest shitstorm in the league of legends community lately.

As you can guess, these girls are getting a lot of hate for this video. I'm somewhat on the fence about it. On one hand, I think the video is really annoying because it's nothing more than "We are all girls, we are girls, all girl team, BTW did you know we are girls?" with nothing to show of their skill. On the other, these girls are better than me after I looked up their stats so I hope they do well but many want this team disbanded or are just downright saying nasty things to them JUST because they are female.

I honestly don't know what to think of it all. Anybody heard of this?

*Oh and I believe they are all gold 1 which honestly isn't good enough for competitive play but as long as you have fun who cares?
You don't know the situation, and you might want to do a little bit of searching before you do the whole white knight thing. I'm not a LoL player but even I have some knowledge of these events since it's been being discussed in a few games I do play where people also play LoL (I play multiple MMOs casually). I did a quick search for them to find some of the discussion and you'll find posts like this one:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3520012

In of itself that doesn't mean much but it's simply an example of the type of post going around.

The thing to understand is that Team Siren is not under fire for being an all-girl team. Indeed, no matter how they want to present themselves there really isn't that much that's unique about them. Their ratings aren't all THAT high and we've seen professional and semi-pro teams of female gamers before, some even with sponsorship. Ubisoft's "Frag Dolls" being perhaps the most obvious example, being a team of female gamers that exist to promote Ubisoft's products and show their colors in various venues. While I haven't followed them for many years even as far back as Ultima Online you had multi-game guilds like "Da Valkyries" and "Black Widows", and of course Microsoft ran it's 360 "Gamer Chix" nights for all girls which lead to a number of girl-based clans deciding to play together in various games.

What Team Siren is in trouble for is over the top, rude, behavior. While online gaming is full of "trash talk" and tons of rude people, these ladies apparently take it to an entirely different level and have spawned tons of complaints. When complaints get to a certain level the mods/authorities step in, and the internet is full of stories about people being banned for how they acted in various online games. The difference is that Team Siren is playing the "we're girls" card with the admins to avoid being punished, and it's working. The point is that when a group of people become this infamous for their behavior and garner enough complaints that it can spark an anger from an entire gaming community, they really should be banned and/or disbanded, but that's not happening. While games like LoL might be full of racist, misogynistic, and otherwise rude comments, the thing to understand is that when you see enough complaints going back to specific sources the admins generally do step in, long before something gets to this point.

The thing about the video is that it's pretty much rubbing things in the face of critics, more or less a matter of "hahaha, we're getting away with it" than anything else. Nobody would care if it wasn't for what was going on otherwise, there is nothing wrong with a group of female roomies that play together, or an all-girl team making videos. There is nothing even remotely offensive in that video. On the other hand the behavior of this team in game is quite offensive, to the point where the free hand they have been given based on their gender is enraging the community. Anyone other than them would have been banned long before now with the amount of complaints they have generated.

Some might not care for the comparison, but it's one of those Anita Sarkeesian type situations, where a bunch of white knights running to the aid of troll-girls are creating increasingly big problems.

... and yes, I'm sure Team Siren would want a lot of you to believe that this anger is generated by misogynistic hatred due to their excellence in what is normally a male dominated field. That's not the case at all, they aren't even that good as some people have pointed out, their disproportionate infamy is based around their horrendous behavior and the extent to which it's gone unpunished, not due to their skill at the game. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but they are not THAT good for it to be an issue. From everything I've read (here and otherwise) I don't think they even qualify for most of the big tournaments.

Simply put it does seem like a case where LoL needs to dust off the banhammer, and do an internal investigation as to who has been giving them a free pass. For the most part it's not a matter for the general public (so to speak), the point of things like that video is to rally support and pressure to their aid under false pretenses.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Generally if the way the internet worked was that we didn't get annoyed when there is reason to be annoyed, but only when there is a really good reason to be annoyed, the world would be a better place. This is the internet, where you can always choose to walk away or not care and that should be the first thing you do when you see something or someone you disagree with.

And then when it's serious and racist or misogynistic or whatever, then thats when you can stay around and let your opinion be known but before that, just because you're right doesn't mean you need to say it