We Dare Gets 12+ Rating, Parents Go Nuts

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
We Dare Gets 12+ Rating, Parents Go Nuts

We Dare, the "sexy Wii minigame compilation" that debuted last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108018-Ubisoft-Unveils-a-Sexy-Wii-Minigame-Compilation-for-Adults], has a 12+ rating in the U.K. and a lot of parents are none too happy about it.

If the very idea of a sexy adult Ubisoft's [http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Info.aspx?pId=9414] racy marketing hype, causing no small amount of confusion among parents who think a sex game is being marketed toward their children.

"I have a 13 year old daughter and if I knew she was playing such a highly charged sexual game with boys, I would be appalled," said Laura Pearson of Birmingham. "It is encouraging under-age sex." Another parent said the game will "fuel sexual tensions" and could lead to "sexual touching or assault."

Yet according to Laurie Hall of the Video Standards Council [http://www.videostandards.org.uk/], We Dare isn't nearly as bad as Ubisoft is trying to make it appear. While the infamous ad for the game features two attractive couples gettin' jiggy wit' it in a softly-lit living room and the publisher has added a "Parental Discretion Advised" sticker to the packaging, Hall said typical 16-year-olds would find the game's content "beneath them."

"There is no sexual activity," Hall said. "There is suggestion and innuendo if you're that way inclined but you don't actually see anything." The advertisement that appeared on YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrxsNmQJO0] is "more extreme" than anything in the game, he added.

Labor MP and long-time game critic Keith Vaz predictably spoke out on the controversy, saying the 12+ rating was "clearly" wrong. "As a family friendly console, Wii must ensure that there are proper checks and a full consultation before games are graded for use by children," he said. "This game should not be released until these checks are made."

Other "senior politicians" are also calling for the game's planned launch to be suspended while its content and rating are investigated, although at least one mother doesn't see what the big deal is. "It's only like a modern day spin the bottle," said Sandra Betts, who has a 15-year-old son. "It's just a bit of harmless fun." Assuming no delays, We Dare is expected to come out sometime in March.

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8348408/Stripping-and-spanking-video-game-awarded-12-certificate.html]

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
...although at least one mother doesn't see what the big deal is. "It's only like a modern day spin the bottle," said Sandra Betts, who has a 15-year-old son. "It's just a bit of harmless fun."
Yay! Someone with a brain!

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Does anyone have an earthly clue of the content of this game?
Cause I don't and I also don't think any of the outraged parents do. How deeply surprising that would be.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Hmm...

Whilst I think 12 is a bit too young, its amusing to see them get all pissy again. Hope the ratings board trolls them more by making GTA5 a U.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
It really doesnt surprise me. Sure the game probably has alot of sexual innuendo but thats it. There really doesnt seem to be any way that they can justifiably give the game a high rating.

Like that one parent said its no worse then spin the bottle and its just harmless fun. Hell I think parents would rather their kids play that game then strip poker, which was what I was playing at that age. I mean these complaints are all clearly from people who have absolutely no clue what kids that age are doing these days.

Randomspike

Pinball Wizard
Oct 12, 2010
9_6 said:
Does anyone have an earthly clue of the content of this game?
Cause I don't and I also don't think any of the outraged parents do. How deeply surprising that would be.
The people who are outraged probably believe that adverts are always completely truthful.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
Is anyone actually going to buy this game?
And does it have a Wii-mote "vibrator mode"?

Aug 25, 2009
'If I knew she was playing such sexually charged games.'

And why, good madam, would you not know? Surely she is your child, and at the age of thirteen you leave her in the care of other parents who are as responsible as you, or within your own care?

Maybe if you don't want her buying this game you should actually take an interest in her purchases? My parents seemed to have a sixth sense about when I'd bought something I really shouldn't have. Generally they didn't care of course because they trusted me but these parents clearly don't seem to trust their children.

I think that's it, the problem of the 'new generation' isn't them, it's their parents. My parents trusted and respected me, and that earned my trust and respect. Maybe if you want to know what your daughter is donig you should learn to treat her like another human being instead of your own personal property.

Iridul

Feb 14, 2010
"Video game publisher markets its way to controversy!"

Does that even qualify as news anymore? Not trying to have a go at The Escapist there btw, just it seems that this is Ubisoft using the same cheap ass marketing that EA have employed to get their products noticed time and time again.

As has been said on this site many times before, this is going to do none of us any good in the long run :(

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
My fiance and I play games like that, but ummm.. We don't need a game from Ubisoft on the Wii... I think the ad for the game is making it seem a lot worse than it is. Unless the directions for the game are telling you to put the Wii-mote down your pants and get spanked...

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
gonna withhold judgment until i actually see the game. ...which will probably never happen, since it looks stupid. still, considering their advertising, i can't actually say i blame the moral guardians for their reactions this time. when will the games industry learn to stop trolling?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
cjbos81 said:
No but I think someone has made a dildo peripheral the wiimote goes into, pretty gurthy...

Ya this is just another one of those situations where people are outraged because they don't want to take responsibility for their own children and their actions. They haven't taken the time to become fully informed, and are letting an extreme minority with a very anti-games agenda influence them.

Kind of sad but most people are sheep; little better than chimps blindly following their groups alpha.

Creepybard

Jan 3, 2010
Dear people flipping out about this game: The game isn't what's being advertised in that commercial, its the actions people take. The actual game sections shown are actually pretty uninteresting. Don't flip out about a game being horrible until you know something about the game, because that commercial doesn't tell you anything.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
12 does seem a little low. 15+ I could agree with. But ultimately, it's spin the bottle on the Wii.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"As a family friendly console, Wii must ensure that there are proper checks and a full consultation before games are graded for use by children,"
If only we had some sort of standard ratings board that independantly checked games and gave them an appropriate age restriction!

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
From what saw of the trailer, there was nothing which demanded that the remote be used in a sexual way: Its a fucking MARKETING ANGLE people! If girls want to put the controller down the back of their skirts and get spanked then that's their business.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If you actually watch the gameplay clips in the ad, all the "sexy" (I hesitate to call it that) stuff is being done by the actors.

And the age ratings are for the game, not the ad, so maybe these parent groups should get a clue.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
The Random Paradox said:
Andy Chalk said:
Hall said typical 16-year-olds would find the game's content "beneath them."
Finally, somebody who knows what they're talking about.
On one hand I do agree with this. 16 year olds and up won't need a Wii mote to spank each other like in the commercial, or "make out?" with something dangling above them.

CustomMagnum said:
Considering the marketing of that game, I can't exactly blame those parents for going "OMG WTF".
On the other hand, here ya go... The game is completely sold as a sexual game, and then giving it a 12+ rating was the game companies ASKING for an outcry. If you show a video of adults spanking each other with a wii-mote down your pants (considering multiple people in the party walk up to each other all sexy, not caring who spanks who), then yeah, you're saying "Hmmmm MIGHT be only for adults"

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
standokan said:
I've got to admit, 12 is waaaaaaaay too low.
Oh come on. I've played Twister when i was 12 and that lead to my first gf. What's next? Ban Twister because people invade each others "personal space"? Ban bottles because you could spin them? That is so fucking stupid. Heads are blown off left and right in videogames and no one gives a fuck but when people play a, admittedly stupid, movement game or RPG with sexual scenes everyone and their mom freaks the fuck out? In that regard, the UK and USA aren't that different from some countries in the middle east.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
the game looks dumb.

however, the biggest issue in this: all the freak out when the parents complaining havent even really seen it besides the dumb commercials, let alone played it. they dont know what the game has and i dont see how it is marketed to children when there are grown ass men and women acting like morons. not kids.

its like the mass effect debacle. all the news commenters freaking out about the game never even played it. its completely blown out of proportion, yet they dont want to correct themselves or even attempt to see it from another perspective so they choose to remain ignorant.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Andy Chalk said:
Labor MP and long-time game critic Keith Vaz predictably spoke out on the controversy, saying the 12+ rating was "clearly" wrong. "As a family friendly console, Wii must ensure that there are proper checks and a full consultation before games are graded for use by children," he said. "This game should not be released until these checks are made."
Or, how about a more competent ratings board. It is not Nintendo or Ubisoft's problem that the game was rated 12+.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
I'm going to laugh so hard when the game isn't released anywhere because Ubisoft's insistence to use a dumb marketing ploy. If it wasn't for that ad, the games would look really tame... and most likely boring. Still, it will make my day.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Rated 12+, as in you need to be 12 years old in order to like this shit. I'm surprised it received a 12 rating, but really... what else could it be? The PEGI rating system has dug itself into a hole. The gameplay actually shows nothing explicit or mature, it's how people are going to use it that's the problem. It's hard for me to care though, since I want this game to be cremated in the flames of hell for disgracing everything video games should be.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
See, this is the whole goal of the ratings board: to rate the game itself. Barbie Horse Adventure doesn't get rated AO just because somebody has probably masturbated to it at some point. The only gameplay in the ad that you probably have to do to play is tap the controller or rub two hands on its sides to respectively see two people fly through the air or eat an apple.

Unless the game includes sluts with proof of purchase, nothing in the game itself is either particularly offensive or mature.

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
What's that? You don't think your kids should be playing this game?

Don't Buy It For Them Then. Problem Sorted.

Stop having tantrums when the rest of the world refuses to parent your children for them.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Wait it's called We Dare not Wii Dare? Nice, glad that droped that shitty pun.

Oh yeah the game, i'm predicting low sales with or without this with all things considered pretty weak controversy. If you want to learn how to stir up controversy, just look at FOX

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
I expect the Daily Mail to have something enlightening to say on the matter. Personally I find the game rather stupid. The people it's martketed to (16+ I would say) would find it beneath them, and the kids (And I stress, kids) that would actually enjoy it are underage.

Sorry for being crude, if a female did want to do something 'sexy' with a Wii-mote, why not do the obvious thing?

Also, does anyone else think the people in Wii adverts are infuriating?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I agree with the parents on this one. The game has Mii silouettes pole dancing.

Miis pole dancing...

I'll let that sink in for a bit.

Ao right there.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
If it got rated 3+ nothing bad would come of it. I hate all this "protection of children" bullshit.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wait, they're outright misunderstanding how ratings work? Well, that might explain a few things... 12+ does not equal "marketed to". I'm fairly sure that Psychonauts was not done with 13-year-olds in mind.

Anyways, the rating most DEFINITELY does not match the marketing campaign. I'm not sure who's at fault here, yet.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WelshDanny said:
Correction: Labour MP...

When will Americans learn to spell correctly? :(
When others learn that Americans have different ways of spelling and it's not the end of the world.

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
Crap, I hope this dosen't mean Ubisoft's trying to pull a "Your Mom Will Hate it" type ad campaign, god knows the gaming industry dosen't need that...

El Danny said:

Stop having tantrums when the rest of the world refuses to parent your children for them.
Exactly!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
This is ridiculous. Just because a game is content-rated at 12, doesn't mean that it's for 12 year olds. Flight simulators, and games like Championship manager have a low rating, but it doesn't mean that they are for 6 year olds. Just because it's content is suitable for a certain age range, doesn't mean it's aimed at that age group

It's not like the advert is even aimed at kids! If it was, then anger would be justified. It's aimed at casual adult gamers with more money then sense. It's basically booze for shy, desperate teetotal people, or for when booze isn't enough, or for when you've had too much booze, and are about to have an orgy where you wake up with a gaming console shoved somewhere uncomfortable.

Looking at that ad, it doesn't even look like like you need to do stupid things to win at the game. I wonder if there's a single player mode, where this is only one wrist movement...

standokan

May 28, 2009
The Imp said:
standokan said:
Oh come on. I've played Twister when i was 12 and that lead to my first gf. What's next? Ban Twister because people invade each others "personal space"? Ban bottles because you could spin them? That is so fucking stupid. Heads are blown off left and right in videogames and no one gives a fuck but when people play a, admittedly stupid, movement game or RPG with sexual scenes everyone and their mom freaks the fuck out? In that regard, the UK and USA aren't that different from some countries in the middle east.
*looks at avatar* for some reason I don't really trust you, I meant it more like 12-year-olds-really-shouldn't-be-playing-that, but I can understand how my comment was a little ambiguous, or rather that my comment was super misleading so it was more my fault, I should've said "young" instead of "low"

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I guess those parents just boosted underage interest in the game far more than Ubisoft's marketing ever could; or even aimed at.

If there isn't anything in the digital content offensive to anybody over 12, then it shouldn't be rated higher than that.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
If a parent is letting a 12-year-old girl spend a night party with a 12-year-old boy, and they both have feelings of "making like adults", then a game on its own is not going to exacerbate that problem. Besides, since it's all implied stuff onscreen, I actually have guesses that they wouldn't even play it "correctly".

But of course I agree that parents definitely SHOULDN'T be buying this game for their kids. I at least hope the box art makes it clear what the game is implying.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
So a mini game commercial featuring purely an adult audience enjoying it is marketing to children? And there is about as much sexual content in it as looking at a picture of a bikini model..? Fuck it, more like watching the Ash/Misty romance subplot on Pokemon.

While I agree the 12+ rating might be a little.. low, this stuff just looks tame. Heck, it could probably fit into Solomon's Sexual ehm.. "poetry" and be the most tame aspect of it if the Bible is looking for "DLC".

-_-

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
There is nothing illegal about encouraging underaged sex as far as I know. This game definitely deserves no more than a 12. Having underaged sex is different.

Video game raters like PEGI can't rate games based on content that isn't in them. That's just silly.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
El Danny said:

The complaint is that the rating system meant to help people make educated choices about what to buy thier children has misstepped here.

I want games to remain internally regulated without government authority, and lenient with the ratings is not a good way to garner the trust nescessary. The advertising and marketing suggest a far more adult tone to the game than a 12+ rating would suggest. The content in the game itself is not really problematic, but what it's asking of the player is the concern.

This is the first time I can think of where, HOW the player interacts with the game can change the perception of it's content.

On another note... This is the most embarassing commercial I have ever seen... only drunk people could put themselves through this(see: not 12-18). How long do you think it takes for the case to come out where somone gets raped witha wiimote?
The Imp said:
standokan said:
Those violent games and rpgs with sex scenes, are not rated for 12 year olds. THis confusion is completely ubisofts fault. The ads for twister did not involve spanking each other and stripping. Bottles are used to hold stuff, kids exchange the idea of spinning it with each other, the bottle doesn't instruct them to do so. But this games ad campaign clearly shows a sexual tone, and adult target audience, which is fine, but the issue is muddied by it's 12+ Rating. You can say, go play the game, and yes that is ideal, but if you can't look at promotional material, and read the rating and get a decent idea of what the game is about, then the rating system becomes useless.

Imagine walking into a video store and seeing a dvd cover with a womens parted lips and a strawberry sensually pressed against her bottom lip and tongue. You glance in the corner and it says rated G. When even the cover, would pass for a PG rating, would you not be confused.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
kurupt87 said:
This is all just so fucking pathetic.
Well lets look at the sad side

now parents can abuse spank their kids nonstop provided they're 12 or older
and claim "We were playing Wii!"

yeah this is definatly going to be a bigger deal then it should be... what kind of 12 year old would want this game when he can get Pokemon! (the exact same game it was 20+ years ago!)

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
family friendly console
Andy, can you do me a favor and tell Mr. Vaz (and indeed all politicians) that I never want to hear that combination of words again?

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
It seems Ubisoft wants their own episode from Extra Credits on bad marketing ...

With this ad, I'm not surprised that a 12+ rating caused an outrage, especially if the game is really intended to bring out this kind of sexual behaviour in people. They should put it up to 16+ rating, and then there would be no problems with this, since kids these days seem to have done everything, or even more then what is shown in this video by the time they turn 16.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Damn thats hot.

Yeah baby lick that wii remote.. catch them germs..

OT: There isnt much in this game but imagination left to the player.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Personally, I hope more sexually oriented games come out, with much much greater frequency. Apparently, the only thing to wake parents up from their reverie of ignorance is to announce sex games for consoles. If that makes them more active in their childrens lives, win/win imo.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
El Danny said:

No, that only applies to parents buying their kids games they're not old enough for.

A 12 year old is perfectly capable of buying their own games, and thanks to this age rating, they can, legally.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
WrongSprite said:
El Danny said:

No, that only applies to parents buying their kids games they're not old enough for.

A 12 year old is perfectly capable of buying their own games, and thanks to this age rating, they can, legally.
Know many 12 year olds with an unsupervised $60+ dollar budget? Are they driving themselves to the store? Is it their own credit card?

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
meh. the game looks boring to kids anyway, so there should be no problem. i mean, what kind of 12 year old wants to spank his friends instead of playing 16+ games that their parents gave them anyway?

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
I can see why, the advert does make it out to be saucy. On the other hand, it's just a dare game, and the fact of the matter is, it's the people themselves who interpret the innuendo, and/or take it too far.

WrongSprite

Aug 10, 2008
Mornelithe said:
WrongSprite said:
El Danny said:

Know many 12 year olds with an unsupervised $60+ dollar budget? Are they driving themselves to the store? Is it their own credit card?
What the hell? This is 12 we're talking about, not 5.

When I was 12 I had a paper round which got me the equivalent of about $40 a week, easily enough for some shitty Wii shovelware. I could walk to the store, and I got paid cash, it's really not difficult for a kid to buy a game.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
WrongSprite said:

When I was 12 I had a paper round which got me the equivalent of about $40 a week, easily enough for some shitty Wii shovelware. I could walk to the store, and I got paid cash, it's really not difficult for a kid to buy a game.
Yeah, it's a 12 yr old, who has about as much business and economic sense as a doorknob. Parents letting 12 year olds have an unsupervised cash flow? Bad idea.

WrongSprite

Aug 10, 2008
Mornelithe said:
WrongSprite said:

Yeah, it's a 12 yr old, who has about as much business and economic sense as a doorknob. Parents letting 12 year olds have an unsupervised cash flow? Bad idea.
Why? If they've earned it, they can do what they like with it.
Hell, I probably spent most of mine on sweets and games, I don't regret that, I was 12.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
WrongSprite said:
Why? If they've earned it, they can do what they like with it.
Hell, I probably spent most of mine on sweets and games, I don't regret that, I was 12.
I'm sure you've heard this one before 'Parents house, Parents rules'. Your house, your rules. At 12, you have little to no rights other than the ones your parents afford you. If you get a game you shouldn't have, that your parents object to, you broke their rules. Their fault, not anyone elses.

EDIT: I would like to say though, in a perfect world it'd be great if kids could be trusted enough to make decent decisions, some of them actually do, very few, but some do. So, it's kinda shitty that because the majority is dense, the minority gets dinged...but them's the brakes. It's why growing up rocks, because other peoples rules start to fade away.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
A 12+ rating is quite stupid on their part, but then again it pales in comparison to how ludicrous the actual game looks like.

Nuclear Pancake

Aug 29, 2009
Hmm this is interesting because the current rating system is based on what the game renders on screen and in We Dare's case it is two people flying or eating and apple . However its what the game implies that you that is adult since you could just play by pressing the buttons with you hands. So we may seem a change in policy or the way in which games are judged.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
lacktheknack said:
WelshDanny said:

When others learn that Americans have different ways of spelling and it's not the end of the world.
To be fair, it is the name of a political party, rather than the word.

OT: The board is there to set the lower limit, not condone the activity. He explicity said that the game was tame and that the ad was more raunchy than the actual game, he can't make up reasons for giving it an 18 if there aren't any.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
WelshDanny said:

When will you learn that yours isn't the only correct spelling in the world?

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Are children allowed to play Twister? Because that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay pervier.

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
I don't get it. It looks crap. Speaking as a person who does remember being 16 very clearly, i wouldn't have bought this game then. It just looks ridiculous.

Besides, wasn't "project rub" for DS a 3+?

Jun 11, 2008
But spin the bottle is more sexual than this. The only thing that is even remotely sexual is the spanking. Worse things happen in kid discos.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I'm not sure what to be more saddened by... The fact that the rating is that low or the fact that the game exists at all.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
What the fuck is up with the video? What's with the static noise and the parental code thing?

Besides that, how stupid are these people? The game isn't even being marketed to kids, that's why it shows four adults playing.

WhatHityou

Nov 14, 2008
Another example of marketing shooting itself in the foot and giving more ammunition to people who want a totalitarian control system over video games. The ad was likely like they said a exaggeration but still.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
El Danny said:

I believe this statement sums up my sentiments to the very word.

Your kids want to have sex at 13? They'll do it. If a videogame encourages it, and despite your protests or life lessons, they just do it, then congratulations!

You're a bad parent.
Either that or it wasn't too harmful to them to begin with.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
That was actually embarrassing. Can adults not take part in sexual activities without resorting to a children's console? ;P

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Why doesn't anyone censor mainstream music that inspires trends that directly promote having sex and is marketed to teens?

Instead, they censor the shit that is marketed to adults and in no way would ever appeal to anyone below 20.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Banned in the US, OK for 12+ in Europe. It's a weird world we live in.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
The Random Paradox said:
Andy Chalk said:
I'd think it beneath me but I'd still have a riotous time playing. Mainly because my friends and I are easily amused.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I looked at this from the side. These guys are PARTLY right. However not in the way they think they are.

There is plenty of place for M rated games of largely most sorts as long as they aren't completely tasteless.

However what the industry needs to understand is that there is also a place for kid's games.

I don't mean the shovelware badly designed bullshit they are doing now.

I'm saying.... it's too polarized right now.

Too much baby's first video game, and hardcore sex and violence 13.

Where the ass are the games for 8 ish year olds? 12 ish? 14-16 ish?

It's stupid for several reasons. For one kids would get bored with the largely meh kids games and want new ones, but all you got are adult ones now.... and because they don't have an alternative between rated M for money and baby games they are going to want the M.

Also if kids maybe don't get entertained enough by the crappy kids games we give them now, if a good parent doesn't give a 8 year old god of war... they may never GET to the better made games and the game companies just lost a lifetime customer.

First thing they need to do is obvious, make good games and stop being quite so greedy. Second. Make a good balance of good games for various ages and interests.

It's an obvious and old adage. "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket."

You put them all in the "big kids" basket and they have to grow up and not spend 80% of their income on games but on responsible adult things and... you lost a customer.... and you didn't bother to try the kids basket, so all of your eggs are broken and you are screwed.

Good job.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Heh, this is funny.

The ratings guys rated the game.

The parents rated the advert.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Another parent said the game will "fuel sexual tensions" and could lead to "sexual touching or assault."
Another game that's going to cause rape? And without violence?

That's quite an achievement.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
They do realise that whatever those games consist of, it's pretty much thrown into the gutter by any decent game of spin the bottle or some similar crap most kids do, right?

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
The only thing here kinda surprising is the game rating. Parents would have freaked out even if they gave it a Adults-only rating.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Motakikurushi said:
The gameplay actually shows nothing explicit or mature, it's how people are going to use it that's the problem. It's hard for me to care though, since I want this game to be cremated in the flames of hell for disgracing everything video games should be.
Both sentences are my opinions on this exactly. If you make a game bad in quality, that's fine I just won't play it. But this? Fuck your shit, Ubisoft.

I take that back. Just give me another Assassin's Creed and it'll all be good :). This game is still demeaning to the gaming media. It's already under fire.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I'm 12 years old and what is this?

But seriously, forget the argument about what age is appropriate to play this game. It looks like a ridiculous concept in the first place, and I'm concerned for anyone of any age who plays it.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Have you seen how tame this shit is? It's practically Carry-on film level! I suppose the intention behind the content should be bared in mind but if the actual game it's self fits the guidelines for a 12 then... it should be a 12.

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
Just because the game has a 12+ rating doesn't mean that the game will be marketed to 12 year olds. People don't understand that the rating score and the marketing demographic are not the same thing.

The game is entirely innuendo from what I can tell, so none of it would mean anything sexual to anyone who doesn't 'get it.' If you already 'get it' the game is not corrupting you.

Ubisoft would never market this game to young kids. That's just not who the game is made for. I hope someday parents organizations and the media will realize that videogames don't have to be for kids.

On a side note, the game looks terrible anyways...

Kunzer

Press R to cause ragequit
Jul 14, 2008
My girlfriend had me sell her Wii on Ebay.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Feb 13, 2008
UK:12+
"Beneath most 16 year olds"

US: BANNED [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.267253-Ubisofts-Sexy-Minigame-Collection-Too-Naughty-for-U-S]

I'm giggling quietly to myself. Sexually repressed indeed.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Once again stupid publsihers and their advertising has loaded gaming in hot water. And for once I'm on the side of the parents here, while the content of the actual game itself are harmless that a rating of 12+ would seem fine, the innuendo and activity suggested via the game is something that is not suitable for children of that age group, which is something the ratings board should really have taken into consideration when decided on the final rating for the game.

Ubisoft should not have used such an blantantly sexual (though cheesy) advert to promote the product, of which I'm sure could have easily been promoted in a much more discret and tasteful way. Now we've got this totally expected and deserved backlash which could have been avoided if Ubisoft had thought for half a second what it was sugguested by it's very stupid advert. Kinda hoping some heads will roll in Ubisoft's Marketing Department for this, if means an end to these stupid adverts.

carnege4

Feb 11, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"I have a 13 year old daughter and if I knew she was playing such a highly charged sexual game with boys, I would be appalled," said Laura Pearson of Birmingham. "It is encouraging under-age sex." Another parent said the game will "fuel sexual tensions" and could lead to "sexual touching or assault."

Short Answer: Watch your kids

Long Answer: It's your duty, as parents, give education and see what your son/daughter, plays, don't put the blame on the games, because without your money, they can't be acquired, and unless your kids stole your money, YOU decide what to buy TO HIM.

Life is a ***** no?

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I have no opinion on this other than that is the least sexy thing I have ever seen.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Oh come on, even if you do go as far as the ad, it's nothing that teenagers can't do anyway. And it's not like the game makes you use the wiimote as a strap on - it's all perfectly innocent even if a little "playful".

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"I have a 13 year old daughter and if I knew she was playing such a highly charged sexual game with boys, I would be appalled," said Laura Pearson of Birmingham. "It is encouraging under-age sex."
Encouraging under-age sex? Really?
These parents probably haven't even played the game. And seriously under-age sex has been frequently happening for years, this game won't be that much of an encouragement. These sort of people would be probably having sex instead of playing this "sexy" game in the first place. >_>

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Exactly who is going to be buying this game? Last time I checked, there wasn't a big spouse-swapper demographic crying for swinger party games (although maybe now there will be?).

Anyway, ridiculous game, ridiculous age rating, ridiculous reaction.

The Imp said:
As much as I agree with your overall message, the argument that people turn a blind eye to digital violence but are outraged by sexuality in games falls flat in this situation, because that argument refers only to sex/violence in games, whereas this "sexy" Wii game promotes sexual activity outside the game. You can argue exactly how sexy anything can be when you're holding a Wiimote, but the point still remains that once you start spanking a woman on your lap to play a game, the sexual element of that game ceases to be fantasy and becomes real.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
The only thing that really crossed my mind (well one of the things) was that the minigame where the couples were seemingly spanking each other on the ass, sorry wiimote, reminded me of NiGHTS into Dreams, though I'm sure in that game you didn't need to do that in order to fly through the rings...;)

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
'If I knew she was playing such sexually charged games.'

And why, good madam, would you not know? Surely she is your child, and at the age of thirteen you leave her in the care of other parents who are as responsible as you, or within your own care?

Maybe if you don't want her buying this game you should actually take an interest in her purchases? My parents seemed to have a sixth sense about when I'd bought something I really shouldn't have. Generally they didn't care of course because they trusted me but these parents clearly don't seem to trust their children.

I think that's it, the problem of the 'new generation' isn't them, it's their parents. My parents trusted and respected me, and that earned my trust and respect. Maybe if you want to know what your daughter is donig you should learn to treat her like another human being instead of your own personal property.
*high-five*

Sorry, personal issues.

On topic: Meh, it's obvious that Ubisoft is playing it up to get the 'lol wtf lets buy this for teh lulz' market.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Some of you really prove how insular your thinking is. You have to look at the situation from the view of someone outside the game community, not from the view of someone inside the game community who constantly wants to believe that there's nothing wrong with gaming. The ad campaign sends a very confusing message that the game is a sexual party game. Regardless of any actual overt acts of sex being non-existent in the game, the ad campaign sets the context that the various mini-games are innuendo representative of sexual acts or sexual situations. The confusion is then compounded by the fact that the game is given a 12+ rating. To the general buying public, they will take such a rating to mean that the game should be appropriate for age 12 and up. However, with the ad setting a sexual context to the game, as far as the general buying public is concerned, the game now appears to be trying to encourage sex and sexual situations to minors. Regardless if you feel the conclusions are rational or not(by the way, the conclusion actually is rational and sane, if you take the time to think from the view of someone not emotionally vested in the idea gaming can never be wrong or bad) this is the perception obtained by the rest of the world. Ubisoft showed great irresponsibility by not taking the time to think how the total situation my generate a confusing or controversial message. Even worse, if they did make such a consideration and were counting on the generation of controversy to generate free marketing and hype. Such actions only serve to put gaming in a further negative light from the perception of the rest of the world and garners even less sympathy for any loss of freedom that gamers may suffer.

The gaming industry and the gaming community really needs to pull its collective head from the depths of its own colon and learn to realize the effects such actions have on others and how others may perceive our actions. The game industry and the gaming community are constantly suffering under the perception of being saturated with a bunch of immature, irresponsible, disrespectful, irreverent, deviants that represent nothing but the worst of humanity. Such actions as taken here by Ubisoft(and, honestly, many of the attitudes that gamers display) only reinforce and justify that perception as truth to the rest of the world.

Perception is reality, no matter how much you may rationalize otherwise, and being condescending about it does not give anyone any sympathy for the argument.

Nov 12, 2010
Thing is that you are rating the game which from what I saw looked something like those Mario Galaxy games.The interaction isn't rated.Are we gonna ban Wii Sports for crossing swords?

Comando96

May 26, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2794-An-Open-Letter-to-EA-Marketing
I just want to quote extra credits here: 4:00

"And that that brings us to the present. A newly humbled EA finally understanding the impact they have been having on gaming image, tries to move the medium forward and improve their bottom line with a series of respectful OH COMMON EA!"

Just paraphrase that and you'll have this crap Wii "sex game".

All they have done is the EA style, controversial advert in order to improve sales... it may work but the game is gonna be shit.

Probably the sort of the you could complete if you put the wii remove in a tumble-drier for an hour or two.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
ME: If you really don't want your child playing it, don't buy it for them.
Overeacting Parent: NO! NO NO NO! It's sexuality of any sort! BURN IT FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.
ME: I do think that your name is true and that you are overeacting.
Overeacting Parent: Your one of the monsters trying to corrupt my child! Your a MONSTER!!!
ME: I'm leaving.
Small Boy: Mommy, I'm curiouse about girls...
Overeacting Mother:... My god... YOU'VE BEEN TAINTED!!! *Punch*

OT: I refer to my 1st line of dialauge in this preformance and bid you adue.

Kilgengoor

Sep 7, 2010
my primary concern is, this game is quite similar in both structure and appearance to other wii minigame compilations. It's got a relatively innocent title ("we dare") and it's got a PEGI-12.

Not to shamefully advertise
I uh...

I really think Ubisoft broke another barrier in the history of gamemaking. No, really, this could be a milestone in the history of making games. Let's consider a few basic points:

1- There is an innuendous videogame marketed as PEGI 12.
2- It's shockingly similar to any other Wii games in both appearance and form.
3- There is a commercial, an apparently full-fledged, ready to be put on televisions and such commercial. Now this is important.
4- It closely ressembles all of the previous Wii commercials.

Now, while I sincerely don't give a damn about the PEGI system in this particular game (I would since it suggests it's time somebody puts his/her shit together and wonders how and who are really "protecting" with the current game gradient, but I think there are more pressing issues at hand) please let me rant at length about points 2, 3 and 4. Here's why I think Ubisoft has done something that, either because of its edginess or because of the shame it entices, nobody has done before:

Ubisoft has taken a videogame franchise: its art style, its basic gameplay structure and even its commercial image and has given it a full 180-degree turn into something nobody would have even THOUGHT about. It has taken the family-friendly-hey-everybody-can-play formula of advertising (that I frankly find kinda lazy but oh well) and has reproduced it, only instead of granpas playing soccer keep-ups with the children it depicts people sadly playing a videogame trying to get laid. I think it's out of place, because that is a kind of videogame we had learned to correlate with a very specific kind of product. It's like a salami brand started marketing its products as dildos. Yeah, you can use them as sexual products alright, and yeah, it's still salami and delicious but it's deeply, deeply disturbing. I personally won't be able to shake that commercial from my head whenever I'll be playing Wii Sports, same as I'd feel dirty when eating any Salami, even if I was guarranteed that it's untainted (heh... "taint").

Really, let it sink in. They took one of the most iconical Wii franchises and transformed it into a spicy game.

It's not just that though. This game will mark a milestone in gaming in that it's shamefully, directly and only marketed as a naughty game. I don't know if I'm forgetting any other games (I only skimmed around the replies before me) but even though there's always been blatantly sexual minigames, there's never been something that both marketed itself as a specifically naughty product and with an ad campaign that I at least consider ready to be marketed to a wide audience. Yeah, you've got things like the uncanny valley perversion that was DOA Extreme Volleyball, and you've got things like the Hot Coffee GTA mod and buried condoms in Fable III, but these have always been hidden away and even then have been subjected to voracious complaints. And then you have something that not only falls even below (in my standards) than any dry-humping or virtual mini-bikinis would, but it's marketed both under the same form of any other Wii minigame compilation, but also for people 12 and up AND as something that could easily be sold next to Wii Sports for all we know.

Now, I don't consider myself somebody that would be alarmed about these games, but the deliberate choice of every factor in this game astonishes me. I don't know. Make all the sexy games you want but... you know, try and retain some dignity while doing so.
but that is a fucking disaster waiting to happen. I think it's an irresponsible risk from a company that prefers a quick buck than making sensible decisions.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Oh sure 'cause no one has ever used a Wii Remote to smack their friends on the ass... What?

And honestly i have to say that i think the person saying it's just a modern day "spin the bottle" is the only one not spouting nonsense.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Woodsey said:
If you actually watch the gameplay clips in the ad, all the "sexy" (I hesitate to call it that) stuff is being done by the actors.

And the age ratings are for the game, not the ad, so maybe these parent groups should get a clue.
Depends, if the game instructs you to put the wiimote in your waistband and have your partner spank you to control the game then that should be an 18 rated game. I'm guessing in this case the game does not explicitly instruct the player to do that and that's why the ratings board have had to rate it only as a cartoony looking flight sim (judging by the gameplay shown in the ad). Still the clear intent of the game is for sexual foreplay so it shouldn't be marketed to anyone under 18, 16 at a push.

Ulquiorra4sama said:
Oh sure 'cause no one has ever used a Wii Remote to smack their friends on the ass... What?

And honestly i have to say that i think the person saying it's just a modern day "spin the bottle" is the only one not spouting nonsense.
Yeah, it's kind of like spin the bottle with a little light groping. But we shouldn't be encouraging 12 year olds to be playing spin the bottle! In fact any responsible parent should be doing their utmost to teach their kid that it's not cool to play those games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Actual said:
Woodsey said:

Depends, if the game instructs you to put the wiimote in your waistband and have your partner spank you to control the game then that should be an 18 rated game. I'm guessing in this case the game does not explicitly instruct the player to do that and that's why the ratings board have had to rate it only as a cartoony looking flight sim (judging by the gameplay shown in the ad). Still the clear intent of the game is for sexual foreplay so it shouldn't be marketed to anyone under 18, 16 at a push.
Well, the clear intent of the ad is to present the game as such. Whether the intent of the game is that is unlikely, given the rating.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
If only the Wii had achievements.

Achievement Unlocked 25G: Give Yourself a Hand, play through the game once on solo mode.

Ahahahhahaha.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Natdaprat said:
12 does seem a little low. 15+ I could agree with. But ultimately, it's spin the bottle on the Wii.
I think that's the thing though. Technically, the game contains no content that is too mature for a 12 year old 9as far as I can tell, there isn't actual sex, or 'sexually charged moments'. Anyone who actually plays this game would either be too young to understand the sexual content, too pubescent to take a sexual videogame seriously, or mature enough to play it in good fun. Apart from dorky-horny teenagers who'd have sex anyway, there isn't any actual demographic (above 12) for which that game can be seen as innappropriate.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Two thoughts:

1) 12 is too young.

2) Have these people never seen a high school dance? Anybody who has been to a high school dance knows what I'm talking about.

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
The Imp said:
standokan said:
if i were religous id say: AMEN brozza

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
cjbos81 said:
With all due respect sir, that joke is archaic.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
The sad thing is, if it was a genuinly adult game for the wii, it would probably sell better than what it's going to sell now.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Who in their right mind would buy this trash?? Christ! Watching the video made me want to slap every single person that have ever worked on this project. Including the morons on the screen. Good lord!

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Seriously? This is not a matter of what's happening on-screen, it's a matter of what the players must do to play the game. The visuals may not be sexually charged, but the actions required to play the game are intended to be in the first place. This is not a game for 12-year olds, no matter which way you slice it. Heck, the fact that the UK is uptight about this says something in and of itself; usually it's the US that has these issues.

This is dumb. The game is dumb in the first place, but giving it a 12+ rating just because there's nothing explicit on the screen is even moreso.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I could get all righteous and indigent but frankly it looks like a shitty game trying to grab some infamy just to boost sales... so clap clap Ubisoft, I hope the few extra copies you sell are worth setting back the games industry... again.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
HEY, LISTEN!

The rating age on the box doesnt mean its FOR THEM. It just means judging by the content of the game, this is the viewing age rating of the content. It doesnt mean its FOR them

12 year olds can buy a romance novel, doesnt mean theyre GOING TO. They can also get the Rise and FALL of the Roman Empire, doesnt mean it was written FOR them.

Whats in the game? I saw two people eating an apple and a guy flying through rings. Thats alot less raunchy then SHREK 2.

If it was 18 PLUS, that would have to mean its PORN. Which it is not.

And notice the trailer has ADULTS in it, not 12 year olds.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Did watching that trailer make anyone else feel a bit queasy?

As for the story...I JUST DON'T CARE!!

madmatt

Jan 12, 2010
El Danny said:

I disagree and think it should have a higher age rating...

it isn't censorship (like cutting content, which is a different barrel of fish), but parents who don't play should be able to rely on the age guidance to be reasonable and reliable - how else will they know how to judge the content if they don't play themselves? Importantly I think is that people here seem to be making the mistake of assuming everyone is as informed as they are.
12 seems to be poor guidance given that purpose.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I just imagine 2 young couples both about 14 together playing this... and then the boys get really competitive and team up to dick on the girls team. Then the girls eventually wander off while the boys move on to playing Blops and go to discuss whether or not they've let their boyfriends finger them yet.

Seriously any kid who even realises this is sexual is going to think it's beneath them and any adult who realises it's sexual will find it ridiculous (unless they're swingers).

Discrodia

Dec 7, 2008
It's just more damn Wii minigames. As every rating agency ever has said, if the kid has money, and goes out and buys your game (and or YOU BUY IT FOR THEM) it is completely your fault. You were the idiot who gave them the means. It is not the governments job to stop you being a crappy parent (unless you're a really terrible human being).

Kinda offtopic though, how the hell does that game look 'sexy' unless you are very, very drunk? And even then? Is anyone else confused by this?

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
El Danny said:

here here.

LordFortune

Mar 1, 2011
If we live in a world where a game that involves spanking someone on the ass after shoving a Wiimote into the person's pants gets a 12+ rating, I think I might have to kill myself.

I don't care how you chose to spend your time. Adults can waste their money on this if they want. But I'm seriously not sure how anyone thinks that this would be okay for kids to play.

But I still don't get why people are making a fuss over the game in general, regardless of the rating. Just look at the trailer. How would a Wii mote possibly be able to accurately read any of the stuff that they're doing? I seriously Ubisoft did this as a joke. It obviously didn't cost them all that much to make.

If they made this as a serious sexual-foreplay prompting game, then I don't understand why they think anyone would buy this game. A waste of fifty bucks.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Let's think about this on a rational level. For all the game play clips they showed in the video, not a bit of it was actually any more than 'implied.' Any truly sexual gestures were made by the people in the commercial. On top of that, the Wii-Mote doesn't necessarily know where the body is; it just knows where it is. This puts it on the level of...say...Wario Ware. Anyone can just put it on your lap (or additionally, some books) rather than stuff it down their partner's waist band. On a third note, the option of actually buying it still falls to the buyer; no one has to buy it if they find it truly offensive. And lastly, I've seen worse. I can name a couple of truly gratuitous games as far as sexuality goes. Even if anyone can prove me wrong and find some sexual gestures in this game, I can still tell them it's a far cry than the bar set by games they may find worse than offensive. I suppose that's not much of a justification, but be that as it may, the game could have done far worse.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
a 12+ is a failure on the ratings system, even if their is nothing intrinsically adult in the game it is for adult purposes, and should not have a 12+, it would be like anal beads or a vibrator at a toysЯ'us.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
I agree that 12 is too young, but if you're gonna go higher than, say, 14 I guess, you're overestimating the intimacy of the game.

I kinda blame Ubisoft though, for making a game that blurs the line like this. What's sexy and what isn't? They say this is, but really, it doesn't look like it. The fugg?

Also, as an aside, I'd like to see this game being played without stuffing it into people's pants. I'd like to see how it's most likely going to be played.

El Danny said:

Well, that's kinda the problem with the 12+ rating. A lot of twelve year olds, oddly, have personal access to $60+ funds. I was a paper boy at 11, and a dishwasher at 12.

Though I agree with the general message of your post. If this were about some 18+ game that featured something terribly graphic and parents were bitching, you'd be backed 100%.

Jan 27, 2011
One Question. Does any of this REALLY matter?

I mean, who the hell is even gonna BUY this, aside from drunk college part-hounds?

Chevy235

Jun 8, 2010
Gee, it's almost as though a ratings system delivered from on high is highly likely to be utterly nonsensical. But don't worry, I'm sure the government gets everything else right.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Ha ha oh wow, they're totally right, but they're blowing it way out of proportion. It's not the end of the world, here.

I suppose that if you observe the game objectively this would be the rating, but you have to look at the subtext in this case, you know?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Meh, it's just a stupid minigame collection, I can't remember where I heard it, but it was likened unto a modern day "spin the bottle".

The minigames aren't even all that sex related, it's all a matter of subtext, still I don't really blame parents for being pissed off at this though.

Mostly, I don't really care though. As I said, it's just a stupid minigame collection wrapped up in a sexy gimmicky package.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
The problem with the rating is that it rates the content of the game and not what actions you have to take in real life to play the game. With interactivity becoming more and more the standard, it might not be a bad idea to start including that as part of the rating system.

God knows I hate censorship, but I'm also a very strong believer in self-regulation to avoid censorship.

Jack of Spades

Feb 16, 2011
These are just simple Wii mini games that are meant to be used in an "adult way", you could probably just buy Mario Party and use it the same way.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
El Danny said:

But see its not that easy.

People have been taught "It takes a village to raise a child".
Therefore from there point of view everyone has as much to do with their kid as they do.
Its been etched into their brains.

Sorry to say it but we have to deal with this kinda stuff forever.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
El Danny said:

You, sir, have just been awarded a cookie.

There should be a mandatory class for all prospective parents. "How to be a good parent", or something.

The first class will be all about how to actually parent your child, not fob it off onto teachers and officials and the like.

Failure will result in immediate vasectomies and hysterectomies.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Motakikurushi said:
Rated 12+, as in you need to be 12 years old in order to like this shit. I'm surprised it received a 12 rating, but really... what else could it be? The PEGI rating system has dug itself into a hole. The gameplay actually shows nothing explicit or mature, it's how people are going to use it that's the problem. It's hard for me to care though, since I want this game to be cremated in the flames of hell for disgracing everything video games should be.
Pretty much this. Forget what rating it should have, does anyone else wonder who exactly would ever buy this game? I mean, regardless of age, the whole thing just seems retarded. And not in a "stupid but kinda fun" way, just in a "stupid and pointless and why am I wasting my time on this when I could be banging my head against a wall instead?" kind of way...

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Huh. If only there was a group of trained people, a "board" if you will, that could be employed to look at these games and give them some kind of, just off the top of my head, "rating" that would show what kind of game it is. But such things are only pipe dreams.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
mikespoff said:
Motakikurushi said:
Pretty much this. Forget what rating it should have, does anyone else wonder who exactly would ever buy this game? I mean, regardless of age, the whole thing just seems retarded. And not in a "stupid but kinda fun" way, just in a "stupid and pointless and why am I wasting my time on this when I could be banging my head against a wall instead?" kind of way...
I concur. Bringing We Dare to a party or a group of friends in it of itself is like a dare, with the potential risk being laughed at, rejected, and banished forever as the awkward deviant who uses video games as an excuse to spank girls.In the end, it really is all about context of what you do with these silly mini-games. The actual We Dare game does nothing on its own it appears; it is merely the vehicle to creepy Wii-Ways, double entendre, or most likely, solo-Wii fantasies of having several attractive members of the opposite sex to Wii-waggle with.

Anyone that is in the "perceived" age group for We Dare probably will just imbibe and have fun the old fashioned way: Tipsy.

carletonman

Oct 29, 2010
Breaking news: Parents don't freak out on everything that can be misconstrued as sexual or adult in nature... oh wait... nvm. Seriously people, since when is this sort of thing news? If you're not mature enough to deal with some racy advertising, don't watch it. What about the old "take it off" shaving cream commercials? Do we have a rating board for shaving cream? Grow up.

Chris646

Jan 3, 2011
If you look at it in a completely objective way like the ratings boards (maybe) do, then you will see that the marketing is showing but one way to play the game. The hanging wiimote thing is probably just A and B. The ring thing is holding the controller horizontally and... something. The commercial is incredibly vague in how one would play the game if they had no friends willing to play it. I think the 12+ rating is accurate considering how the games are rated on ingame content, rather than commercial content.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Aureliano said:
See, this is the whole goal of the ratings board: to rate the game itself. Barbie Horse Adventure doesn't get rated AO just because somebody has probably masturbated to it at some point. The only gameplay in the ad that you probably have to do to play is tap the controller or rub two hands on its sides to respectively see two people fly through the air or eat an apple.

Unless the game includes sluts with proof of purchase, nothing in the game itself is either particularly offensive or mature.
at least someone understands how the system works..

advertisements, games, and most other things are rated on content not intended use.. the game characters are not sexual nor are they doing anything sexual, if you don't want children to play in, don't make a game with child friendly graphics and don't buy if for them.. there are G and PG rated advertisements for sex expo's.. its all based of content of the product..

DanDeFool

Aug 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Yeah. So could a game of Twister. You wanna pull that from the market?

Your children could also buy a deck of cards and decide to play strip poker. You wanna classify playing cards as adult paraphernalia?

"There is no sexual activity," Hall said. "There is suggestion and innuendo if you're that way inclined but you don't actually see anything." The advertisement that appeared on YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrxsNmQJO0] is "more extreme" than anything in the game, he added.
This is the impression I got from the trailer; that the game is just a collection of motion-controller minigames that you have the option of controlling by getting frisky with members of the opposite sex (or same sex, as the case may be). It doesn't make the game pornographic.

Frankly, it'd be a lot more interesting to me if it was actually pornographic instead of just a silly Wiimote-wagglefest. If the Wii became the number one console for adult videogames, at least then it'd get some goddamn third-party developer support.

So this woman doesn't trust the ratings system (no big surprise), and apparently didn't pay any attention to the gameplay footage in the YouTube trailer.

Listen lady, just because the game is being marketed to adults doesn't mean it has adult content in it. Books about building people skills are marketed to adults; that doesn't mean they all have scenes of lesbian cunnilingus in them.

Other "senior politicians" are also calling for the game's planned launch to be suspended while its content and rating are investigated, ...
They would, lest their political opponents convince all the impressionable thickheads in their constituencies that said politicians "allowed a pornographic video game to be sold to children".

Politics is dumb.

... although at least one mother doesn't see what the big deal is. "It's only like a modern day spin the bottle," said Sandra Betts, who has a 15-year-old son. "It's just a bit of harmless fun."
Way to end the article with something to remind us that there's still some hope for humanity. :D

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
This probably most warranted outrage at a videogame in...ever, from my memory. Just...just...why? I thought the U.K. was trying to supress the mature content of video games. They just took a major divebomb backwards.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
You know how to solve this problem?
If the game was never released, marketed or anything, I do not think that the market is ready for this game, If the Demographic is 12+ than I would sure love to see the idiots who buy this.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
The Random Paradox said:
Andy Chalk said:
5char
But seriously
Who do parents think they're fooling?
I'm tired of all this bullshit and people saying they need to "protect" their children
Grow up.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
lacktheknack said:
WelshDanny said:

BabyRaptor said:
WelshDanny said:

I think the real question is: When will you two learn the difference between a proper noun and an improper noun/verb?

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I don't know about you but when i was 15 i didn't need a game to tell me to touch girls to want to do it lol.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Maze1125 said:
lacktheknack said:
WelshDanny said:

BabyRaptor said:
WelshDanny said:

I think the real question is: When will you two learn the difference between a proper noun and an improper noun/verb?
That has nothing to do with the fact that the two versions of English spell the word differently. It's spelled "Labor" here...That doesn't change simply because it's the name of a party in a country where it's spelled differently. The OP just wanted to pass off an insult.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
what the F*** was I just watching? no wonder parents are pissed about this, i wouldn't want my kid playing this either. it looks stupid.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I can't blame them for reacting like this but it's probably more innocent than it seems.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
PfffHAHAHAHAHA, are you fucking kidding me?! XD
Oh god, I could just imagine my parents and their friends playing this.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
PfffHAHAHAHAHA, are you fucking kidding me?! XD
Oh god, I could just imagine my parents and their friends playing this.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
they have to rate the game

as in. they rate the game content.

and it's a 12+ game.

if you gave it to a 12 year old kid, he might not understand it, but it certainly wouldn't turn him into a sex pervert (although almost all 12 year old boys are sex perverts anyway)

Jeffro Tull

Sep 27, 2010
The Imp said:
standokan said:
hm... well put

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
Wow, this whole thing is turning into a real fustercluck. Yes, the rating does encourage sexual activity in minors. Somebody farked up real bad here.

kristof

Jul 1, 2010
While the 12+ rating is obviously way too low for something like this, it really does just look like a really terrible game. I wouldn't waste my time on it.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
I think that Ubisoft has had its bluff called by a ratings firm: this is a collection of shovelware-level minigames advertised as a adult entertainment.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Ratings are there for someone who wants to judge whether or not their kid can play a game just by looking at the cover. If you already know a game has content that you don't feel is "appropriate" for your child, then just don't allow your kids to play it.

Or better yet, TALK to your kids about why is is inappropriate. Bet you post menopausal bitches didn't think of that did ya?

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
If I wanted to have a "spicy" evening the last thing I'd do would be pulling out a wii remote...

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
Umm yeah no, you don't tout a game as kid friendly with a commercial like that backing it. Idc if what's in it isn't that extreme with a 12+ rating any kid with an allowance could buy it and then emulate how they saw it played on the commercial.

On the other hand this kind of stuff is perfectly acceptable, in the god damn medieval age. (Y'know, when 12-14 was a perfect time for marriage)

Just to clarify I don't disagree with the game's rating, I disagree with how it's being marketed. The maturity rating for a game's commercial shouldn't be higher than the game's rating imo, and that commercial is easily TV14.

SL33TBL1ND

Nov 9, 2008
If a console is family friendly, that doesn't imply that all games on that console are for children. That's ridiculous.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
The thing is the rating system works on content. There?s nothing in the game itself that would warrant a 15 rating, at least from what I saw in the clip, it looked a lot more innocent and typical wii part game than I expected. I don?t know if they took into consideration the actions you need to do for the game but the advertisements are probably the extreme of it, as adverts can be. I don?t know about anybody else but I don?t think I?ve seen a wii advert where I actually control it as they show. Not to mention depending on context and mind-set any actions, the ones you will actually do to control this game properly, might be taken as fairly innocent.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
HEY KIDS! IT'S LIKE SPIN THE BOTTLE!

Now get on all fours and suck that remote... Ohhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I can see nothing wrong with 13 year olds playing this.

Now excuse me because some guy named Chris Hansen wants me to sit down.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
1. Any teenage boy would say this was beneath him because he could go online and get WAAAAAY better stuff by looking through Google for 10 seconds without embarrassing himself.

2. I hope to GOD this was a nasty typo.

3. OH LAWDY WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF DA CHILDREN!

Nupraptor

Jan 14, 2010
15+ age rating minimum tbh.... might not SHOW anything graphic but it encourages people to DO stuff that I'd be a bit shocked seeing a 12 year old doin...

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
If a kid that's 12 years old has sex, it won't be because of this game. Although, that ad is actually kinda hot.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Oh my god. The mother with a 15 year old child.. said something... intelligent. About a video game. A parent... not raging at a game... -world explodes-

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
The trailer made embarrassed on behalf of everyone, ever.

OT: Simple solution would be not to buy it for your kids. And keep an eye on what they're playing. You know, like parents.

Nobody is complaining about pornographic DVDs existing [well, they are, but that's beside the point..], just because a child can theoretically watch one on a DVD player.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
Ah, this is going to be interesting. Lemme get some popcorn...

Controversy sparked solely to sell a (by the looks of it) sub-par game never ceases to be entertaining.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Have you seen how tame this shit is? It's practically Carry-on film level! I suppose the intention behind the content should be bared in mind but if the actual game it's self fits the guidelines for a 12 then... it should be a 12.
And most Carry On films are rated about PG or 12 by the BBFC, so about the same of this game. They are intensely sexually-orientated films with a ridiculous amount of innuendo and implied smut, yet no one bats an eye at them. If a game does something like that, it gets bumped up to an 18 (Leisure Suite Larry, for example, although I suspect it's more sexual than the films) or it has a monkey-throws-poop reaction towards it.

Shame, really.

Nupraptor said:
15+ age rating minimum tbh.... might not SHOW anything graphic but it encourages people to DO stuff that I'd be a bit shocked seeing a 12 year old doin...
Except it's not being marketed towards 12 year olds.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
BabyRaptor said:
Maze1125 said:
lacktheknack said:
WelshDanny said:

BabyRaptor said:
WelshDanny said:

That has nothing to do with the fact that the two versions of English spell the word differently. It's spelled "Labor" here...That doesn't change simply because it's the name of a party in a country where it's spelled differently.
Yes it does, it changes everything.
Names are spelt the way the owner wants it to be spelt. The party calls themselves "Labour", therefore it ought to be spelt as "Labour", regardless of if a different word in your language is spelt "labor".

I think it's stupid when people spell their names "Martyn", rather than "Martin" or "Cate" rather than "Kate" but I still respect them and spell it that way myself. Because it's their name, not mine.

The OP just wanted to pass off an insult.
Almost certainly, and if you or the other guy had picked up on that issue in his post, then I wouldn't have had anything to say. But you didn't, you both picked up on the spelling issue, which was the only part of his post that was actually right.

Just because you're responding to an idiot doesn't mean you're not saying something idiotic yourself.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
What the fuck is that game about , I don't even...
And why would someone do that instead of you know, havin sex or whatever floats their boat?

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
heh, clearly you are not familiar with the UK youth! there are 12 year old swingers clubs in the UK! seriously...

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
The ratings board has to rate the game on what's actually in the game. I mean, Twister might deserve an Adults Only rating for what some people get up to while playing, but those activities aren't implicit in the game itself.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Aww the picture is misleading, I came in here expecting porn. :(

But yeah, from the few glimpses I caught of it during the trailer the games looks rather tame and the awful advertising is the worst part of it. Parents are just bitching again about world being out of their control and refusing to raise their children for them. But hey! At least it's not getting released in USA, imagine what the outrage of true professionals would look like.

thebreadbinman

Jan 24, 2010
it just goes to show how ridiculous the rating system is.
just because it's a 12, doesn't mean it's marketed AT 12 year olds, it just means that it ticks all the boxes that allow them to label it as a 12, and not enough to allow them to label it higher.

Sixties Spidey

Jan 24, 2008
"Sexy Minigame Complation on the Wii." ...Ugh. I agree. To be fair though, at least the PEGI knows the audience for this kind of shit.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Picard, Riker, take it away:

Why must you morons in marketing do stupid shit like this, I know your game is talked about now, but at the same time you're just making things worse, I mean of the love of god please stop, if not for me for your bottom line!

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
So it won't even be released in North America, but in the UK it gets a 12+? Seems like there is a cultural difference there (or maybe just fear of getting vocally mauled by Fox News).

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Another parent said the game will "fuel sexual tensions" and could lead to "sexual touching or assault."
I love euphemisms. They show how uncomfortable so-called adults are about sex, which only makes the 'problem' (which used to be normal and encouraged, weirdly enough) of teens having sex worse.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
CustomMagnum said:
Considering the marketing of that game, I can't exactly blame those parents for going "OMG WTF".
I'd be cautious about parents who make their judgments of a product solely off of the marketing.

Because that means they likely also got suckered into feeding their kids tons of sugary foods because commercials made it look healthy.

Commercials should hardly be the basis for the entirety of ones decision on something. They aren't made to be honest, they are made to manipulate.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
When the intent of the product is racier than the content of the product, what do you do? At first, this seems like a very challenging and difficult question. And then, hopefully, we step back and say, "What the hell am I thinking? This is easy!"

You do what the maker says, if the maker is telling you to raise the rating on your game. The ads clearly do that. You can't lower the rating on maker's say-so, but raising it? Why not? It hurts nothing and no one.

Take "personal massagers," for instance: Not all of them look like penises. Some look like little neon candles that are conspicuously absent of light-granting properties. But do they put them on the kids' toy aisles? No. They put them in the back of the Spencer's Gifts store. Why? They don't look all that phallic unless that's what you're thinking, right?

But we all know what the intended use of the product is. So we store it accordingly. So it should be with a game like this. Precedent is already there, if you know where to look.

Aitruis

Mar 4, 2009
Yeah, it sounds like Ubisoft is making the overboard ads to generate controversy, and therefore press, and therefore revenue.

You know you're in a weird-ass economy when bad press equals more money for the dev. It's weird, but it works.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
mexicola said:
Aww the picture is misleading, I came in here expecting porn. :(

But yeah, from the few glimpses I caught of it during the trailer the games looks rather tame and the awful advertising is the worst part of it. Parents are just bitching again about world being out of their control and refusing to raise their children for them. But hey! At least it's not getting released in USA, imagine what the outrage of true professionals would look like.
Honestly this has nothing to do with expecting people to parent their kids and everything to do with the fact that people think 12 year olds can legally buy a game with spanking and stripping as objectives. And that's the fault of the marketing team.

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
skyfire_freckles said:
TheGuiggleMonster said:
Video game raters like PEGI can't rate games based on content that isn't in them. That's just silly.
Have you forgotten what happened with Oblivion?
No I probably know it better than you. bethesda did make all the content seen in the topless mod but it was only put together in the mod. ESRB rate games based on everything on the disc and there was nude material on the disc. I think this is also silly but they do need very strict regulations so it makes sense.

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks 12-year-olds should be able to get away with kissing and spanking, especially because this game involved neither?

CustomMagnum

Mar 6, 2009
theultimateend said:
CustomMagnum said:
I'd be cautious about parents who make their judgments of a product solely off of the marketing.

Because that means they likely also got suckered into feeding their kids tons of sugary foods because commercials made it look healthy.

Commercials should hardly be the basis for the entirety of ones decision on something. They aren't made to be honest, they are made to manipulate.
Right. And the fact that a game that's advertised as "Super Sexy Orgy minigame collection" getting a rating that means that a 12 year old can buy it if they have the cash isn't really a reason for parents to be upset.

Oh, wait.

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
I like the fact that these parents are flipping out over this despite the fact that the 12 rating means there isn't explicit material in it. Sure the advert's somewhat misleading in that sense, but that's not the game's fault it's the marketing people's fault.

Like the article said, it's digital spin the bottle and if anyone thinks the average 12 year old in the UK hasn't played something like it then they have a sugar-coated image of this generation.

Discrodia

Dec 7, 2008
Also, just speaking from my perspective as a teen, are parents in the UK in denial about minors having sex or something? I mean, seriously. It's the 21st century, and what with the current popular culture that promotes alcohol, drugs, and sex, no frikkin wonder your kids are having sex so young.

Why are you blaming the newest media on the block? Because in your generation, if kids didn't do what their parents wanted they could have the shit beaten out of them, and IT WAS COMPLETELY LEGAL. These days, you raise a hand to your teen and they'll call the police on your ass in a second and chances are you'd never see them again. So what caused this? Well, OBVIOUSLY, it was those damn sex-promoting video games! What's that? Rapper mcdouchebag just released his new album, 'Underage girls are the sweetest'? Nah, that's just harmless words. James Bond just banged his way through 69 supermodels to reach the villain's evil lair, while the movie was rated 13+? No problem there. Your local liquor store owner notices that most of the 21-year-olds buying booze have some serious height issues? It's just a coincidence. But Timmy played a Wii game where the commercial might have implied something remotely sexual? STOP THE PRESSES, THE VIDEO GAME MAKERS WANT TO CORRUPT OUR CHILDREN!

Have any of these parents ever been to a modern high school dance? Seen all the signs and posters about all the various 'dances' that aren't allowed? Ever wondered what your kid was doing when he was 'sleeping over' at a certain friend's house, when their parents just happened to be out of town? And that weekend when your kid was home alone, and you come back to find the place trashed? Common sense people? Wasn't that part of your mandatory software updates back in the day? Well, obviously it couldn't be anything that existed in our day, so OBVIOUSLY it's the fault of those damn computers and video games. And what's the solution? Rabble until the government has to step in so you will shut your goddamn trap.

Also, while I'm ranting, exactly what do they think rabbling about this will accomplish? You're basically giving the thing free publicity, and that's going to end up selling it to far more horny teens that that terrible commercial. As ironic as this sounds, grow up. Your childish screaming because something scares you is ridiculous, and trying to alienate your kids because their favorite media scares you is surely going to keep them from disobeying your orders about how to act.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
The advertisement that appeared on YouTube is "more extreme" than anything in the game, he added.

So it is actually boring?

Birthe

Apr 26, 2010
Somehow it's hard to imagine that a 12 year old is actually that interested in buying such a game. I mean at that age I'd rather would want to play something with a bit adventure or an actual sports game or so. To me sounds more like something like older people would play drunk at a party maybe... somehow I'm not even sure who would buy such a game to be honest.

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
Wow. First off, don't buy the game for them...

Second....I'm sure your kids have already played spin the bottle or seven minutes in heaven...so yea.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
The mother would be appalled, now? I wonder if it ever occurred to the reactionary goat to simply make sure that her daughter never gets her hand on the game instead of bleating about it in media.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Breaking News, if your 12+ teenager is healthily interested in sex, they're not going to rush out and buy this game in the hope of maybe touching a girl's bottom.

They're going to be fucking.

Teach them about a bit of respect, restraint, common sense and safety, then you don't need to worry that a mildly suggestive game is going to corrupt them.

As far as I can see, does this game really do anything that a game of 'dare' played at a party wouldn't do? Apart from have a vibrating controller?

Really tho, looks like standard Wii shovelware, they're just lucky someone got outraged enough to give them free publicity, it might sell enough to make back the $100 investment in its creation.