We Dare Gets 12+ Rating, Parents Go Nuts

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
We Dare Gets 12+ Rating, Parents Go Nuts

We Dare, the "sexy Wii minigame compilation" that debuted last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108018-Ubisoft-Unveils-a-Sexy-Wii-Minigame-Compilation-for-Adults], has a 12+ rating in the U.K. and a lot of parents are none too happy about it.

If the very idea of a sexy adult Ubisoft's [http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Info.aspx?pId=9414] racy marketing hype, causing no small amount of confusion among parents who think a sex game is being marketed toward their children.

"I have a 13 year old daughter and if I knew she was playing such a highly charged sexual game with boys, I would be appalled," said Laura Pearson of Birmingham. "It is encouraging under-age sex." Another parent said the game will "fuel sexual tensions" and could lead to "sexual touching or assault."

Yet according to Laurie Hall of the Video Standards Council [http://www.videostandards.org.uk/], We Dare isn't nearly as bad as Ubisoft is trying to make it appear. While the infamous ad for the game features two attractive couples gettin' jiggy wit' it in a softly-lit living room and the publisher has added a "Parental Discretion Advised" sticker to the packaging, Hall said typical 16-year-olds would find the game's content "beneath them."

"There is no sexual activity," Hall said. "There is suggestion and innuendo if you're that way inclined but you don't actually see anything." The advertisement that appeared on YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrxsNmQJO0] is "more extreme" than anything in the game, he added.

Labor MP and long-time game critic Keith Vaz predictably spoke out on the controversy, saying the 12+ rating was "clearly" wrong. "As a family friendly console, Wii must ensure that there are proper checks and a full consultation before games are graded for use by children," he said. "This game should not be released until these checks are made."

Other "senior politicians" are also calling for the game's planned launch to be suspended while its content and rating are investigated, although at least one mother doesn't see what the big deal is. "It's only like a modern day spin the bottle," said Sandra Betts, who has a 15-year-old son. "It's just a bit of harmless fun." Assuming no delays, We Dare is expected to come out sometime in March.

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8348408/Stripping-and-spanking-video-game-awarded-12-certificate.html]

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
...although at least one mother doesn't see what the big deal is. "It's only like a modern day spin the bottle," said Sandra Betts, who has a 15-year-old son. "It's just a bit of harmless fun."
Yay! Someone with a brain!

Randomspike

Pinball Wizard
Oct 12, 2010
9_6 said:
Does anyone have an earthly clue of the content of this game?
Cause I don't and I also don't think any of the outraged parents do. How deeply surprising that would be.
The people who are outraged probably believe that adverts are always completely truthful.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
Is anyone actually going to buy this game?
And does it have a Wii-mote "vibrator mode"?

Aug 25, 2009
'If I knew she was playing such sexually charged games.'

And why, good madam, would you not know? Surely she is your child, and at the age of thirteen you leave her in the care of other parents who are as responsible as you, or within your own care?

Maybe if you don't want her buying this game you should actually take an interest in her purchases? My parents seemed to have a sixth sense about when I'd bought something I really shouldn't have. Generally they didn't care of course because they trusted me but these parents clearly don't seem to trust their children.

I think that's it, the problem of the 'new generation' isn't them, it's their parents. My parents trusted and respected me, and that earned my trust and respect. Maybe if you want to know what your daughter is donig you should learn to treat her like another human being instead of your own personal property.

Iridul

Feb 14, 2010
"Video game publisher markets its way to controversy!"

Does that even qualify as news anymore? Not trying to have a go at The Escapist there btw, just it seems that this is Ubisoft using the same cheap ass marketing that EA have employed to get their products noticed time and time again.

As has been said on this site many times before, this is going to do none of us any good in the long run :(

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
My fiance and I play games like that, but ummm.. We don't need a game from Ubisoft on the Wii... I think the ad for the game is making it seem a lot worse than it is. Unless the directions for the game are telling you to put the Wii-mote down your pants and get spanked...

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
gonna withhold judgment until i actually see the game. ...which will probably never happen, since it looks stupid. still, considering their advertising, i can't actually say i blame the moral guardians for their reactions this time. when will the games industry learn to stop trolling?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
cjbos81 said:
Is anyone actually going to buy this game?
And does it have a Wii-mote "vibrator mode"?
No but I think someone has made a dildo peripheral the wiimote goes into, pretty gurthy...

Ya this is just another one of those situations where people are outraged because they don't want to take responsibility for their own children and their actions. They haven't taken the time to become fully informed, and are letting an extreme minority with a very anti-games agenda influence them.

Kind of sad but most people are sheep; little better than chimps blindly following their groups alpha.

Creepybard

Jan 3, 2010
Dear people flipping out about this game: The game isn't what's being advertised in that commercial, its the actions people take. The actual game sections shown are actually pretty uninteresting. Don't flip out about a game being horrible until you know something about the game, because that commercial doesn't tell you anything.