We have a pandemic on our hands...

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
lRookiel said:
Oh it is a dark power that only few dare to wield. Yet there has been a dangerous increase in the dark art of late. It has claimed the dignity of many innocents who unknowingly post in a thread that should have been laid to rest long ago....

I'm calling together an army, but I need all of you, the Escapist community, to rise up, and face the evil force head on! To report the corrupted beings who dare interrupt the rest of a thread that has done it's duty, and only wishes to rest in peace!
You assume that a thread's age is indicative of its relevance. You also assume that it's against the rules to post in older threads. You're wrong on both accounts.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
sky14kemea said:
Snipper Snap
Why did that make me laugh so much?

Also it's not pimping, It's.... Endorsing (Ok I'll stop :3)

Hawk of Battle said:
The Holy Inquisition stands with you!

Destroy the heretics! Purge the unclean! Kill the alien! Including those on our own side!!

Prepare for Exterminatus!

Thank you Hawk, I hope that Exterminatus is aimed at Kronus :D We shall destroy the necrons and their evil ways along with them!

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
And if you succeed you'll just end up whining that "thread X has been done before OMG"

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Spitfire said:
lRookiel said:
Oh it is a dark power that only few dare to wield. Yet there has been a dangerous increase in the dark art of late. It has claimed the dignity of many innocents who unknowingly post in a thread that should have been laid to rest long ago....

I'm calling together an army, but I need all of you, the Escapist community, to rise up, and face the evil force head on! To report the corrupted beings who dare interrupt the rest of a thread that has done it's duty, and only wishes to rest in peace!
You assume that a thread's age is indicative of its relevance. You also assume that it's against the rules to post in older threads. You're wrong on both accounts.
In most cases it is, because yesterday I posted in a thread about Yahtzee being Rickrolled by EA, that was from over a year ago, it's no longer thought of, let alone considered relevant to anything anymore. Also, if it's not against the rules then why do I see users getting warnings for necro'ing threads? Pfft.

Anyway, enough explaining my case to you, I have evil to destroy!
(I'm right)

Neaco

Aug 17, 2009
Popadoo said:
You have my sword!
TopazFusion said:
And my bow!
Lionsfan said:
And my Halberd!
Padwolf said:
And my Axe!
ClockworkPenguin said:
You have my The Winchester.
Hero in a half shell said:
And my Pauldrons!
Ldude893 said:
And my bike!
RipVanTinkle said:
And my overly-large bayonets!
Best of the 3 said:
You have my Izukan's Shocking Guilding Sword of Greed.
Lunar Templar said:
you have my sun goddess
i'm starting to think you don't own any of these things! necromancers are walking about and you're having an online wang measuring contest.

OT: re-reading some of the stupid stuff you said in the past helps remind you of what to say in the future. long live necromancy.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Foolish mortals...to think you can actually stop the necrotic powers of our legions.

Your forces will fall, like they always do, and old threads will grow in number 'till they outnumber even the pony threads! Heh..haha....HAHAHA. MWAHAAHAHAHAAAAA...*wheeze*

I'm not aging well.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
lRookiel said:
Spitfire said:
lRookiel said:

In most cases it is, because yesterday I posted in a thread about Yahtzee being Rickrolled by EA, that was from over a year ago, it's no longer thought of, let alone considered relevant to anything anymore.
That doesn't make any sense. You were interested enough in the thread to post in it, so clearly it still has some relevance.
This is a discussion board, not a news reel. There is no reason why someone shouldn't be allowed to post in an older thread, as long as the thread has discussion value, and people are still interested in it.

Also, if it's not against the rules then why do I see users getting warnings for necro'ing threads? Pfft.
Well, the few times that I've seen someone get a warning for that, it wasn't because they "necro'd" the thread per se, but rather because their post was either inflammatory, off-topic, or had low content, and the poster had no legitimate reason to resurrect the thread.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Neaco said:
i'm starting to think you don't own any of these things! necromancers are walking about and you're having an online wang measuring contest.
what? >.> you mean that wasn't the point?

OT: re-reading some of the stupid stuff you said in the past helps remind you of what to say in the future. long live necromancy.
oh i like this *changes sides*

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I really don't understand what the fuss is here. Bumping up an older thread isn't against any rule I'm aware of, and it helps cut back on thread duplicates by bringing back discussions that have already happened.

Certainly, it's not worth getting worked up into a Crusader-ish frenzy over.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Is it just me, or have there been substantially more necro'd threads since this one was created? Maybe i'm just noticing more, but i'm suspicious...

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Philol said:
Quick! Fetch the church elders and some holy water! This evil must be eradicated!

But yeah it is annoying when you click on a seemingly normal thread...and it's from a year ago.
But if a thread is truly truly fabulous then it needs no time context.

To toot my own horn, i did a squareenix bashing about 3/4 years ago. Which still holds to this day. I think they are shit and the rest of the world is finally realizing this. Or devoted defending them. One or the other.

Plus someone other than me actually ressed it on accident when i used it in an argument a while ago.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I for one, look forward to one day necroing this thread just for the sake of irony. Yes, that will be a great day. Maybe I should bookmark it for that purpose?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
lRookiel said:
We may have lived in naivety for too long my friends, the fire of hope is dying quick, and we have done nothing!

Many of you may ask what I am referring to... Well my people, I am of course referring to the plague that is, Thread necromancy!

Funny, I thought it was -insert aggressive but not too rude adjective here- people who keep breaking the rule about posting a clear topic-name yet complain about other rules being broken.

Sigh.

OT (since if I don't post anything OT, I too am breaking a Code of Conduct Rule): It's not soo bad, compared to, oh I don't know, WoW-Forums.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
My arrows shall pierce their knees! I mean brains! We shall be known as the men without knee pants! Death to the necromancers! (P.S a cookie that may or may not exist to the first person who gets where I got "the men without knee pants" from)

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Neaco said:
Lionsfan said:
And my Halberd!

Don't own one? Here's a random photo I took of myself the other day

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I'm bookmarking this thread so I can necro-post it a few month from now!

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
lRookiel said:

I plead to the Moderators, who battle long and hard to keep the evil at bay, to bolster their efforts once more! So that we may all save our souls!

Finally, I thank you all for reading, good luck, and good hunting my friends. Many of you may fall in this battle. But know that you will die seeking a just cause, for the future of the Escapist!

There has been no increase in our use of the unholy art of late, we have simply allowed you who do not know the power and beauty of the unholy art to see more of our influence. HA! Go ahead and call forth your army. For every thread, post, and topic you assemble will one day die and bolster our forces.

The problem is that if there is a discussion you want to have and there is already a thread on it you have two options. You can make a thread and get blasted for not using the search bar, or you can revive the thread and get called a necro. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
*raises blades in support of anti necro-ing, because I feel like it*

HAVE AT THEE, KNAVES!