We need another Cold War

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Shipping and billing addresses don't have to be the same. And I've never had anyone ask for an ID of any kind. And even then they're shipping to an address, not a person. You could just be a person that's allowed to collect packages for all the delivery drivers care
I mean, they’re still tracking stuff to an address and they can just sell that info

I personally found a way to screw up the YouTube algorithm slightly. My 7yr old daughter is on my account and it gets rather schizophrenic trying to predict what we’d like.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Eh, the one child policy and gender selection is going to hit China's demographics hard in the coming years. Might want to look to the beams in our own eyes.
You know, I keep hearing about this, and.... I don't agree.

China isn't like us. They aren't going to go bankrupt trying to hold together some version of social security. They won't care at all about a series of elderly people who are too old and poor to support themselves. They'll allow them to perish without a second thought.

And the Chinese economy is so interwoven into foreign economies, that I think people underestimate how strong and versatile their investments are. Even if the Chinese economy did shudder, I feel like it would have consequences on the world market.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And the Chinese economy is so interwoven into foreign economies, that I think people underestimate how strong and versatile their investments are. Even if the Chinese economy did shudder, I feel like it would have consequences on the world market.
Any economy as large as China's having a severe problem would hit the global economy.

However, it's not necessarily that bad for us in the West. I believe China actually has less invested overseas by dollar value than the UK, Japan, Germany and France, despite its larger economy. Sure, it's splurging money like crazy, but it takes a long time to equal major countries that have been investing abroad for much, much longer. Also, as China has been aggressively pushing international investment, there has been less care taken over that investment such that it is more likely to go into inferior projects with higher risk and lower returns (hence concern over it creating debt traps in Africa).

China is mostly an importer of raw materials and exporter of manufactured products, and targets investments more at countries with raw materials. A shudder in the Chinese economy would therefore hardest hit those countries, mostly developing world. To really disrupt the West, there would need to be a problem with it supplying the manufactured products we buy from it.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Well, we do nearly export as much to China as we import from there and a bad chinexe economy would hurt us in both ways.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
China isn't like us. They aren't going to go bankrupt trying to hold together some version of social security. They won't care at all about a series of elderly people who are too old and poor to support themselves. They'll allow them to perish without a second thought.
Ok, but even assuming that to be the case, the next generation of workers is much smaller than the last. That's going to cause issues.

True.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Nah, the world will slowly get used to the fact American hegemony is over and China will continue to be more and more assertive as it tries to probe the limits of it's influence. Eventually there will simply be a new balance of power with a high degree of interdependence.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
China has different rules in its borders. If you want to work there, you need to abide by them. This is the cost of doing business in China - simple as.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Ok, but even assuming that to be the case, the next generation of workers is much smaller than the last. That's going to cause issues.
Not necessarily. China is still a developing country: as it develops, efficiency increases rapidly such that workers on average become more productive.

The current generation (age 0-25) is about a fifth smaller than the preceding (age 25-50), so with 20% fewer workers, that's 20% less economy. This will occur over a generation, however, so call it 0.8% loss a year for 25 years. In terms of China's growth rate (6-8%), that's easily absorbed. I'd expect China's average annual GDP growth to shrink to about 4% over the next couple of decades anyway as it becomes harder to make progress the more developed it is, but it's still easily enough to more than make up for population decline. China aso has plenty of time to make policies for care of the elderly if it becomes a political problem.

Population shrinkage might continue further because China has disproportionally few women. In most countries the sex ratio at younger ages is ~51:49 in favour of men. In China it's about 54:46. I'm guessing this is because under child restriction policies, some families have selectively aborted/killed daughters, as they are deemed less productive. That's probably also going to mean plenty of frustrated men. I guess they can always "import" brides from abroad, though.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
China has different rules in its borders. If you want to work there, you need to abide by them. This is the cost of doing business in China - simple as.
Who wants to work in china? That place is a hell hole. Concentration camps for muslims, forced abortions, social currency points, and heavy censorship make them the shame of the developed world. Countries and companies should turn their back on them. Nations should start lessening their dependence on their goods.

True.
Their surplus population, combined with their increased manufacturing and technological ability, will be able to adress this over time. As a nation, they'll be fine.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Who wants to work in china? That place is a hell hole. Concentration camps for muslims, forced abortions, social currency points, and heavy censorship make them the shame of the developed world. Countries and companies should turn their back on them. Nations should start lessening their dependence on their goods.

Their surplus population, combined with their increased manufacturing and technological ability, will be able to adress this over time. As a nation, they'll be fine.
Everybody wants to work in China. Nobody pays attention to all of the things you mentioned. Up until the early 2010s, China was the undisputed center of world production. Film studios were falling over each other to work with Chinese firms to get a local release. Massive corporations moved their production and logistics centers to China, even their R&D departments. China had cheap labor, flexible labor laws, and massive amounts of manpower - both skilled and unskilled.

All of the stuff you've mentioned are irrelevant in the eyes of people that do business in China. However it isn't very good at the moment, since they realized they can't relocate their assets and wealth outside of China itself (excluding Macau gambling and Hong Kong banking). Theft of IP isn't helpful either. It's too late for many of them, though.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Everybody wants to work in China. Nobody pays attention to all of the things you mentioned. Up until the early 2010s, China was the undisputed center of world production. Film studios were falling over each other to work with Chinese firms to get a local release. Massive corporations moved their production and logistics centers to China, even their R&D departments. China had cheap labor, flexible labor laws, and massive amounts of manpower - both skilled and unskilled.

All of the stuff you've mentioned are irrelevant in the eyes of people that do business in China. However it isn't very good at the moment, since they realized they can't relocate their assets and wealth outside of China itself (excluding Macau gambling and Hong Kong banking). Theft of IP isn't helpful either. It's too late for many of them, though.
Money certainly does make you blind to atrocities

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The US keeps invading countries because they want their resources or evicts leader becuase they aren't Capitalist enough. They have one of the biggest incarcerated populations and very much centred on race. They force their culture onto everyone else and distaste anyone else's ideas and use platforms like Facebook and Twitter to censor.

It's what superpowers do. Destroy everyone else

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Population shrinkage might continue further because China has disproportionally few women. In most countries the sex ratio at younger ages is ~51:49 in favour of men. In China it's about 54:46. I'm guessing this is because under child restriction policies, some families have selectively aborted/killed daughters, as they are deemed less productive. That's probably also going to mean plenty of frustrated men. I guess they can always "import" brides from abroad, though.
Most men from the one child policy are middle aged so they will have resigned to fate by now. It's one of the reasons why the regime has always been so hell bent on economic growth; to placate the population. If you come from the impoverished rural area and you suddenly have income(even if it's just a factory job) you won't risk losing it. Espescially over matters no one is able to change anyway(the regime can't suddenly open a can of gullible women). Some might be able to help themselves with import brides from Cambodia but I don't believe that ever really happened on a massive scale.

But to be honest it's not really that different from any developed country. Prosperity leads to millions of singles and it's no secret for many men not voluntary. You take away the selective pressures for mate selection and women get pickier. China is no different which is why the trend often clashes with traditional family culture(families trying to hook their daughters up to succesful men, mostly with limited results). Less couples means less children which leads to aging populations and eventual shortages in the labor market. Kind of the situation in the western world with it's sky high healthcare costs, luxurious welfare state(atleast in Europe) and shrinking amount of productive people who have to pay for all that. Eventually it can no longer be sustained.

I guess China is in a more advantageous situation in that it can allow immigration from Laos, Cambodia or 'Nam if need be which is all culturally close to their own unlike eg Europe with it's influx of muslims from North Africa. Same as the U.S. with it's immigration and crime problems from Mexico and Latin America. The U.S. and Europe are internally divided with diametrically opposed values within their populations. These clashes will only increase in severity. China is more stable in this regard and not just because of an oppressive regime. Every Asian country is very homogenous which makes them more easy to adapt to changing circumstances. Something that is definitely very beneficial to a superpower like China. I won't see a schism over gender neutral toilets in that country anytime soon.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States

They certainly wanted to exploit china, though that backfired in many ways. But no one wants to be in that shithole themselves.

The US keeps invading countries because they want their resources or evicts leader becuase they aren't Capitalist enough. They have one of the biggest incarcerated populations and very much centred on race. They force their culture onto everyone else and distaste anyone else's ideas and use platforms like Facebook and Twitter to censor.

It's what superpowers do. Destroy everyone else
It's also a huge potential market, and that's all that capitalism cares about. Your pesky moral judgments will only hurt profits.
I mean, you're not going to see me defend american imperialism, censorship, coup's, prison practices, or capitalism. All these things and more need to abandoned, dismantled, and destroyed. But thankfully I can hate chinese and american exploitation at the same time.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
They certainly wanted to exploit china, though that backfired in many ways. But no one wants to be in that shithole themselves.

I mean, you're not going to see me defend american imperialism, censorship, coup's, prison practices, or capitalism. All these things and more need to abandoned, dismantled, and destroyed. But thankfully I can hate chinese and american exploitation at the same time.
It's mutual exploitation. Shit-hole? That's very Trump of you to say.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Money certainly does make you blind to atrocities
Have you looked at 'woke' brands refusing to swap to rainbow colors in areas which are historically not accepting of the homosex? Say, for instance, the middle east, inodnesia, china?

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
It's mutual exploitation. Shit-hole? That's very Trump of you to say.
No.

Trump was referring to the people. I'm referring to the living conditions of the country.