We Really, Really Don't Need New Consoles

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
synobal said:
Also Nintendo for the love of god get some new IPs. I really feel sorry for developers who are forced to churn out mario game after mario game or zelda etc etc
No, they don't need it. They've got plenty of IP under their own belt.

They keep making Mario and Zelda games because fans want them and they sell millions.

People like you who are sick of them are in the minority. And I feel really envious of developers who have the privilege or working on games for the legendary Zelda and Mario franchises.

To discredit them is to attempt to discredit one of the most important traditions and heritages of video gaming itself. They're not "churning" these games out, like a lot of horribly failed AA or AAA experiments out there. These games come with a gameplay first philosophy, and are well tested for bugs. Lovingly crafted and not pushed through until they are assured of being quality games worth playing.

Nintendo games, Mario and Zelda games, are not "churned out". They are some of the most lovingly crafted, highly polished pieces of art created in the gaming industry today.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Is better visuals really what developers, or whoever's in charge, are going for? Back when Metal Gear Solid 2 came out, I thought graphics would never get better, (Laughter acceptable) thought we could stop trying altogether when I saw Assassin's Creed 1, and a few weeks ago I started playing Just Cause 2, in which I found myself actually stopping to look at the beautiful scenery between blowing things up and murdering government officials and helpless, wrong-place-wrong-time innocents.

Remember Morrowind where you couldn't see 30-ish (I think) meters in front of you? Now we can typically see to the extent the human eye would allow, but not being able to certainly didn't stop me from pouring countless hours into taunting anyone who called me 'outlander' one more goddamn time into attacking me and enchanting my pants with water walking magic.

In short, as was said, pretty environments are nice, but fun gameplay is a touch more important. To avoid sounding like a parrot, I suggest being able to imbue magic in one's trousers be a feature in more games.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
We've reached the point where developers can make a clear visual presentation of anything they want. The hardware of our current generation of consoles is not limiting what can be achieved with games, the biggest border is our imagination.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
El Portero said:
Welcome to the glorious PC master race, Yahtzee. We saved a chair for you.
Forget the allusions to eugenics and Nazis, welcome to sensibility.

It's kind of sad seeing the consoles go to the wayside just to pull lame money-making stunts out of their ass.
I get that companies exist to make money, but contrary to what some people say, not all greed is good.
When mindless greed overtakes practicality, it's time to reject the product. (where possible anyway *grumbles about gas prices*)

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
kiri2tsubasa said:
Speak for your self. My PC keeps crashing and blue screening when I play games. So, yeah, consoles are my method of gaming that works 100% of the time.
I would bet that is due to your being unable to meet the minimum requirements, have a bad virus, or one of your parts is defecting(commonly ram). Also console's don't work 100% of the time as the YLOD and RROD are prominent enough to get nicknames.

Mar 9, 2012
I find myself agreeing with most of the points, and the one on the lack backwards compatibility especially. You would have thought that Sony had learned something, anything, from the launch of the PS3.

And the lack of compatibility for PSN titles? There is just no excuse.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
Speak for your self. My PC keeps crashing and blue screening when I play games. So, yeah, consoles are my method of gaming that works 100% of the time.
I can help you with that... For a price. ;)

On modern OS's though, Bluescreening is often caused by Hardware issues. Take it to a certified tech.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
EstrogenicMuscle said:
synobal said:
Also Nintendo for the love of god get some new IPs. I really feel sorry for developers who are forced to churn out mario game after mario game or zelda etc etc
No, they don't need it. They've got plenty of IP under their own belt.

They keep making Mario and Zelda games because fans want them and they sell millions.

People like you who are sick of them are in the minority. And I feel really envious of developers who have the privilege or working on games for the legendary Zelda and Mario franchises.

To discredit them is to attempt to discredit one of the most important traditions and heritages of video gaming itself. They're not "churning" these games out, like a lot of horribly failed AA or AAA experiments out there. These games come with a gameplay first philosophy, and are well tested for bugs. Lovingly crafted and not pushed through until they are assured of being quality games worth playing.

Nintendo games, Mario and Zelda games, are not "churned out". They are some of the most lovingly crafted, highly polished pieces of art created in the gaming industry today.
I'm leaning with Synobal here. You are free to like what you like, but for me neither of the series are worth my money any more. I received Skyward sword as a gift a while back and my favorite part was when I was on the roller coaster like mine carts in the desert sea. Which pretty much says it all for me I think.

OT: I'm already basically a bin diver because new games are just a bit too pricey for me. So, I'm not happy with the estimated prices of the games going up to $70 U.S. I also live in a part of the US where internet is fairly terrible. So the new generation has a double whammy from me right from the start.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
LaughingAtlas said:
In short, as was said, pretty environments are nice, but fun gameplay is a touch more important. To avoid sounding like a parrot, I suggest being able to imbue magic in one's trousers be a feature in more games.
While to much pretty without substance is worthless do not make the common mistake that graphics and gameplay aren't linked. Certain graphics are required and well implemented graphics can be used as gameplay elements.

The other issue is that consoles can't even deliver the current standards consistently.

SethADrekin

Apr 23, 2013
LaughingAtlas said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. Most of Nintnedo's IPs get a New Game once, sometimes twice, per console. Nintendo considers 2d and 3d Mario Games as seperate entities. While there is overlap, they both even have their own dedicated fan base. I could see justification in Complaining about all the spin off games featuring Mario, soccer, golf, kart and party. All of those could have easily had their own IP. But people continue to demand sequels to those games too.

Most people don't actual know how many IPs Nintendo owns. A lot of their games come out and people don't realize that it is a Nintendo Property. Games Like Wii Fit aren't even acknowledged as an IP. I don't think I've ever met someone who actually knows Nintendo owns Animal Crossing. There's a lot more to Nintendo's Lineup than Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Star Fox.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see some new one. Miyamoto has already announced he is working on one. But if you waiting for Nintendo to create the next Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed, your in for a long wait.

Catch 52

May 14, 2011
I agree with Yahtzee that WE don't need new consoles; I am perfectly content with playing most games on my xbox and using my PC for the more powerful games (e.g. skyrim). But, maybe the next console generation isn't about us. Maybe the next console is for the next generation. I doubt a 5 year old today cares little for backwards compatibility. Looking at gaming as a drug and Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony as Dealers; they know we're hooked, they know we will pay for our next fix. Their focus is on making new addicts. By providing the best drugs they can possibly put on the market in order to reel in as many new gamers as possible.
I am aware that a lot of people are saying that they won't buy in to the next consoles, but can you honestly say that will be your viewpoint five years after the PS4 etc. have been out? When the only new games on the market are for the next generation consoles eventually some developer will make a game that makes you want to switch. And that's all they need. That and the hope that you won't become a PC gamer because home consoles are easier to work with. (not trying to hate on PC gaming; I love Steam and am really enjoying playing Hotline Miami - Maybe that's where the drug comparisons came from?)

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
I really need to watch out for this mystical creature that appears from the ether and devours your previous gen hardware the moment you buy something new. It's odd because I own still working hardware and games dating back to the Intellivision and I've never seen it.

I'm sorry, but backwards compatibility is not that big of a deal. Sure, it's a nice convenience, but it's far from a game breaking issue. Just keep using your old console for your old games if you really want to play them that badly. Then, in a few months at most, when you're probably not playing the old console much at all, disconnect it but keep it handy. Non-existent problem solved.
Except of course that old consoles, like old computers, become basically unusable. My old N64 was damaged, and all 4 controllers were also. Sure I can spend 200$ or so replacing all those with second hand ones that could also break at any point as well as purchase the new 300$ console, but why? Not to mention that I move around a lot and I had recently needed to move continents. It becomes unfeasible to bring with me my old SNES, N64, Gamecube, xbox, and their respective libraries.

But you are right, its not a HUGE problem. I personally solve it by using PC emulation which is in the legal grey zone, but I do feel justified considering that I have these systems and games across the ocean somewhere and its not like the developers make money off them anymore even if I bought them used (and I dont want to buy a TV on top of that). I don't if that's just me rationalizing or legitimate points though.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
drummodino said:
I've been an avid console gamer my whole life but now for the first time I have a (fairly) high quality gaming pc and I'm not going back, even for my beloved infamous series. Everything I hear about these new consoles just makes me not want them even more.
That's pretty much me at this point (except the gaming PC, but my Macbook has been sufficient so far). A good portion of my current library is on my Mac, and I'm only keeping the two consoles I have (Wii and PS3) until I finish all of my games on them. I won't be investing in next-gen consoles anytime soon, if ever.
maxben said:
I personally solve it by using PC emulation which is in the legal grey zone, but I do feel justified considering that I have these systems and games across the ocean somewhere and its not like the developers make money off them anymore even if I bought them used (and I dont want to buy a TV on top of that). I don't if that's just me rationalizing or legitimate points though.
I'd say those are legitimate points. As long the games you're emulating are "out of print," so to speak, you're fine

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I was going to suggest Yahtzee may want to take up PC gaming, but then he goes and agrees already at the end of the article.

I gotta say though that being a PC gamer first and foremost is a big reason why I'm perfectly happy with my Nintendo Wii. As a standalone console or a competitor for your TV beside a PS3 or 360 I know it's not very good. But as a secondary platform if you feel like leaving your PC screen for a bit to sit on the couch and indulge in some nostalgic Japanese gaming, the Wii was a perfectly decent console as I'm sure the Wii-U will be. I mean if you want to go for the really older games like back to the SNES days it's easy enough to emulate on your PC, but that's kind of like reading a book off your PC screen vs having a paperback and reading it relaxed in bed or on the couch.

Back to the topic though, being a PC gamer yes we bloody well do need a new console generation. With all the cross platforming going on consoles need to get closer to modern PC hardware so they can stop holding PC games back. On the first page someone gave a good breakdown on the sacrifices that were made to Skyrim so it could accommodate the consoles.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I truly may stop console gaming, I guess it depends on how the next few months shake out and what these new system end up actually looking like, speculation aside. I've been getting a bit more into PC gaming and am enjoy indie and low budget games the most recently. I can't run high end games to my standard of quality on my current machine. I'm definitely considering the idea of going all in on PC but I will wait to make up my mind, it's unfortunate that most of my friends are involved with console gaming exclusively and I don't see that changing for some.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
Blachman201 said:
I find myself agreeing with most of the points, and the one on the lack backwards compatibility especially. You would have thought that Sony had learned something, anything, from the launch of the PS3.
Yeah, they learned that their complicated Cell processor was a major pain for developers so they ditched it. The only way to offer backwards compatability would be to include a Cell processor in the PS4 just to support old games. The PS3 launched with the "emotion engine" to do just that, and that was also dropped to lower the price - you know, the PS3's biggest problem on launch.

And the lack of compatibility for PSN titles? There is just no excuse.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but are you saying that PSN titles should be easier to run on the PS4 than disc based titles? Why? In either case the PS4 has to include special hardware to run the old game or the companies that made the games will have to re-program them to work on PS4's architecture.

There is actually some small hope for a compromised version of backwards compatability. The PS4 could verify that you own the game through PSN or the disc and then let you play a streamed version of the PS3 game through Gaikai. Although that would be a pretty sub-par experience.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
I'm more for a new console when they show a new, innovative way to play games, as well as keep the games fun. My experience with Wii U and Nintendo Land shows that Nintendo did just that, at least in my opinion, hence why I want the damn thing.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
Well-said, Yahtzee.

I've been a console gamer all my life and I am also investing in PC gaming as a safe-guard for enjoyment next generation. I need it to fall back onto in the case that the probable 2nd Video Game Crash happens and the whole industry spends months, if not years, re-evaluating its system.
There's like almost no chance of another "video game crash". The crash was caused by a lot of factors that don't even exist anymore - like expensive cartridges. A crash like that will simply never happen again. There's a small chance that a few big publishers(like EA, Squeenix, and Ubisoft) may go out of business, but that's just a reflection of the changing market. The advantages of a giant publisher are quickly turning into liabilities and wastefulness. Beyound that, the only crash that could happen would be if the actual economy crashed. People have been talking about the 2nd big video game crash since the first one happened and it never happens.

There's a small chance that a console might "fail" and there be less competitors in that market.

That said, I'm still hopeful with the PS4. I'm waiting to see what they show at E3 and anything else before launch. If they can fix the backwards-compatibility problem
The backwards compatability "problem" will not be "fixed" since the PS4 uses a totally different architecture, unless you consider Gaikai a fix.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
grumpymooselion said:
"But it'll get pirated" nonsense, because if Valve, Blizzard and others have proven anything to us over the years
If nothing else Gaben was dead on when he said that piracy is a service problem. The reason Steam is so successful is it's well priced, has cuastomer friendly bundles and sales, and is frigging EASY. A few clicks and a paypal password and you're done. Any time, anywhere, without having to make a dedicated trip or even go to amazon or anything.

A lot of old media industries are now struggling to deal with pracy because they jsut won't adapt their services to make them more friendly to the consumer.

Edit: This an issue the next gen consoles are gonna face if you ask me, especially microsoft. The biggest part of a console is it's library and the Xbox has Halo and not a lot else, while Halo is very popular it's seen declining sales and on it's own won't shift units. Sony has a fair bit more first party stuff going on and so does Nintendo. We're gonna see some big changes in the market as the casuals move more towards smart phones and tablet games and the SNES/Genesis kids like me mature and move on to PC gaming for the convenience of it all.

I'm loving the kind of titles you never get on consoles like Chivalry and all the console games seem to come to PC anyway, so it's becoming a platform of choice for me.

OT: Yeah I'ma be building myself a pretty nice rig soon. I do have a Wii U and I like it but there's nothing out til like August... as for the PS4, I'll grab it in 6 years cheapt o play the first party stuff. Couldn't care less about the Xbox Again.

TheSlothOverlord

Mar 20, 2013
I would hold my horses on this one. After all it wasn't very long ago when people were saying that "PC gaming is dead". Now these people are pointed and laughed at. So maybe we shouldn't be so hasty on proclaiming the death of consoles. I've heard mostly good things about the PS4 (then again - it's only news I've stumbled upon accidentally, since I'm not interested in consoles). The new Xbox has gained so much negative PR now that unless Microsoft announces that it will dispense free blowjobs and cunnilingus ON TOP of having the greatest games ever made in its launch line up (needless to say, without an always-online requirement), it seems that the thing will just crash. But again - the PS4 doesn't seem so bad. All I'm saying is, that just like PC gaming got out just fine out if its crisis, the consoles might pull through as well. Maybe.