\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Grouchy Imp said:
Fappy said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Fappy said:
If it is a sequel they better not use 4.0e rules for their stats! DOWN WITH 4-OH!
I hadn't even considered that side of things before you mentioned it...

Baldur's Gate with 4th Ed rules...

*shudder*

It ... it ... it's just too horrible to imagine.

That possibility is lodged in my brain now. You're a bad person.
It had to be said! D:
Well, there is that. But even by (rightly) opposing 4th Ed, one must bring up 4th Ed.

[sub]And someone from Bioware could be listening...[/sub]
If so then this is our chance to stop them!

HEY BIOWARE! USE PATHFINDER OR 3.5 RULES! KTHANX!

Josh Samuelson

Sep 22, 2011
Its too bad I no longer trust Bioware not to let EA screw up their games. ME3 is a prime example, I loved the first 2 but 3 with its story necessary race cut out as dlc unless you buy the collectors edition is just crap. Bioware no longer has my respect. Back in the day they were great but now they are just out to nickle and dime us to death.

As much as I would love a new Baulders gate I just know that EA will find a way to deliver 3/4 of a complete product for 60 bucks and charge us another 50 or so in dlc just to get the whole thing.

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
Its not Bioware.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107098-baldurs-gate-website-surfaces-announcement-coming-soon.html

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Screw Mass Effect 3! THIS shit gets me hyped!

I'm personally hoping for a HD remake. /)^3^(\

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Please, please, please-remake it as a dance simulator just to mess with everyone on these forums!

I should probably get back to the original game: if only my character weren't so useless at fighting.....

Mar 30, 2010
Fappy said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Fappy said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Fappy said:
If it is a sequel they better not use 4.0e rules for their stats! DOWN WITH 4-OH!
I hadn't even considered that side of things before you mentioned it...

Baldur's Gate with 4th Ed rules...

*shudder*

It ... it ... it's just too horrible to imagine.

That possibility is lodged in my brain now. You're a bad person.
It had to be said! D:
Well, there is that. But even by (rightly) opposing 4th Ed, one must bring up 4th Ed.

If so then this is our chance to stop them!

A good point!

HEY BIOWARE! WHAT HE SAID! WITH FRIES!

FOR SCIENCE!

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
As I longingly glance over at my BG2 CE (21878 of 62000. 62000 doesn't sound very exclusive does it?) sitting on one of my bookshelves, I have to agree with what many have already said, that the story of BG is complete. Also, the Realms have been screwed over to hell and back since the release of 4E, lore-wise, so I'm not really sure how or what they'd do to even try a new BG.

It seems like too much of a fuss if all they're doing is re-releasing them, so I guess all we can do is wait and see.

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
Everyone dreading them doing it with 4e rules (incidentally, I like 4e, and I find most of the complaints about it are irrelevant in the hands of a competent DM). You're forgetting, 5e is coming. If this is a sequel, I'd not be at all surprised to see them use 5e rules, and tie it into the rolling out of the new edition. I'm not saying that would be good, or bad, just that I think it would be likely.

Drew Rechner

Feb 29, 2012
This is really cool news! The more people exposed to this legendary game, the better :)

And now for a shameless (but very relevant) self-promotion:

I've been working on Baldur's Gate: Reloaded for about 5 years now, a free community mod for NWN2 that will be out this summer. It's essentially a full remake of Baldur's Gate, but in 3D and with the 3.5 edition rules. We have custom art, sound, music, scripts--everything. We don't have a website right now (but now that I think about it, we totally should!), but we do have some screenshots:

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/drechner_BG/BG11.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/drechner_BG/BG4.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/drechner_BG/CK3.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/drechner_BG/BanditCampWIP.jpg

You can follow us in this thread for now if you're interested: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/167/index/3120312/27

Zayle79

Oct 6, 2011
Is there any way that dummies like me can see this code first-hand without knowing anything about how this stuff works? Just curious.

Zayle79

Oct 6, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Zayle79 said:
Is there any way that dummies like me can see this code first-hand without knowing anything about how this stuff works? Just curious.
Right click on the page and go to 'Inspect Element'. That works on Chrome.
Thanks, muthsera. Works on Opera too.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
as the original development teams of BG and BG2 have since been drawn and quartered throughout the industry, im curious as to what direction a new game in the series might take. granted its cryptic HTML notes against the fact that beamdog doesnt even have the license to BG (and IP owners have this fucking retarded habit of refusing to license IPs they have no intention of ever using themselves), but its food for thought.

baldurs gate was pretty much the codifying RPG for a decade... i wonder how it would be changed in the modern age of developers that dont even have the balls recognize the RPG as a full genre anymore. im sure the words "streamlined" and "more accessible" will be bandied about in an effort to excuse why the father of D&D based video games is now a hack and slash with a CoD-esque leveling system, but hopefully some measure of the game's depth will endure the shift.

at least bioware isnt allowed to fuck with the BG series anymore. i trust bioware with a new BG game about the same as i trust lucas with another star wars movie. under EA/bioware minsc would violently murder boo for shock value and then incessantly flirt with the player regardless of their gender; and because he has some creepy fangirls on the forums, quayle would be a romance option.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I have my original BG and BG2 CDs on the shelf behind me (remember those days PC gamers? When "DRM" was little more than a 24/32 bit key).

I've no need for a re-release.
I'm behind the times..but does Bioware (and by extension, their leash-holders, EA) not own the BG franchise? If so, I'm a very happy dwagon indeed, since it would mean not giving money to EA.

Otherwise, the news is bittersweet as usual.

mattaui said:
As I longingly glance over at my BG2 CE (21878 of 62000. 62000 doesn't sound very exclusive does it?) sitting on one of my bookshelves, I have to agree with what many have already said, that the story of BG is complete. Also, the Realms have been screwed over to hell and back since the release of 4E, lore-wise, so I'm not really sure how or what they'd do to even try a new BG.

...Oh shit! Yeah you're right!
I forgot about the idiocy that launched with 4th Edition.

Really: Why'd they have to kill Mystra?

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
The line at the bottom of the source reads

for me.

So

^ Date the site went up.

^Using the Infinity engine

^Wanted to do this for a while.

^Could be anything. A better game than the last, an update to the engine, or even an improved version of BG 1 or 2

^Presumably something else hidden on the page or somewhere else but regardless of if we find it an announcement will be soon.

^Another puzzle. Maybe the announcement will be in a month.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much but from what I see: Announcement of a new/ re-released game using the infinity engine in 1 month. Also the source for this page may change further meaning check the source regularly for more clues.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Knowing BioWare lately, it will be Baldur's Gate 3, but it will be a hack and slash with emo characters and we'll have to pay £30 for day one DLC for each party member.
Candidus said:
If they do a reboot, I'll be skeptical but open.

Unless the Hamburger Helper is involved. In which case, I'll know that it's sub-fanfiction quality garbage way ahead of time, and will avoid it like the black death.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
spectrenihlus said:
So your move everyone who said they would boycott Bioware/EA after ME3
*cries*

It's not fair!!!

Dammit, I will stay strong.
Candidus said:
Knight Templar said:
Candidus said:
If they do a reboot, I'll be skeptical but open.

Unless the Hamburger Helper is involved. In which case, I'll know that it's sub-fanfiction quality garbage way ahead of time, and will avoid it like the black death.
Did you ever even play DA:O?
Yeah, as a matter of fact I did. And its disastrous sequel, which like most victims of it I quite regret. DA:O was an alright game viewed in isolation, but it isn't the equal of Baldur's Gate in terms of scale, quantity or quality of content, voice work or script and narrative by a long, long, long way.

Bioware is not a company with writers capable of repeating that standard at the moment. I'd love for the truth to be different, I'm just willing to accept the abundant evidence that it isn't.

The idea of that Twilight worshipping buffoon working on a Baldur's Gate successor makes me violently ill. With good reason.
Grouchy Imp said:

Fappy said:
Josh Samuelson said:
Its too bad I no longer trust Bioware not to let EA screw up their games. ME3 is a prime example, I loved the first 2 but 3 with its story necessary race cut out as dlc unless you buy the collectors edition is just crap. Bioware no longer has my respect. Back in the day they were great but now they are just out to nickle and dime us to death.

As much as I would love a new Baulders gate I just know that EA will find a way to deliver 3/4 of a complete product for 60 bucks and charge us another 50 or so in dlc just to get the whole thing.
Atmos Duality said:
I have my original BG and BG2 CDs on the shelf behind me (remember those days PC gamers? When "DRM" was little more than a 24/32 bit key).

I've no need for a re-release.
I'm behind the times..but does Bioware (and by extension, their leash-holders, EA) not own the BG franchise? If so, I'm a very happy dwagon indeed, since it would mean not giving money to EA.

Otherwise, the news is bittersweet as usual.

mattaui said:

...Oh shit! Yeah you're right!
I forgot about the idiocy that launched with 4th Edition.

Really: Why'd they have to kill Mystra?
Ok that's the last of them. Now to all of you. Bioware has nothing to do with this at all. A company made of ex Bioware employees called Beamdog is working on something related to the Baldur's Gate games that isn't the complete edition coming to steam. Bioware/EA own absolutely nothing related to any D&D game those rights sit with Atari and Hasbro. A quick google search of Beamdog will have some sources. Now thank you Escapist for FINALLY changing the name of this article.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Jodah said:
I wouldn't mind a rerelease with updated UI (NOT a butchered one btw, just one that is a bit more organized and prettier) and updated graphics.
I don't quite understand what's with the graphics. The original games are gorgeous as it is.

And people mention HD remakes. That's what the Widescreen mod is for. And the UI functions better than most modern UIs in any case. There really is zero reason to remake the game. It features 6 player co-op as well.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Drew Rechner said:
This is really cool news! The more people exposed to this legendary game, the better :)

And now for a shameless (but very relevant) self-promotion:

I've been working on Baldur's Gate: Reloaded for about 5 years now, a free community mod for NWN2 that will be out this summer. It's essentially a full remake of Baldur's Gate, but in 3D and with the 3.5 edition rules. We have custom art, sound, music, scripts--everything. We don't have a website right now (but now that I think about it, we totally should!), but we do have some screenshots:

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/drechner_BG/BG11.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/drechner_BG/BG4.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/drechner_BG/CK3.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/drechner_BG/BanditCampWIP.jpg

You can follow us in this thread for now if you're interested: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/167/index/3120312/27
Good lord, that must be a lot of work. That game is huge and the number of areas you have to make must be staggering. Are you doing a complete makeover or are you cutting stuff? I would totally understand if that was the case.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Unless they make an HD version or put the price incredibly low, I have a hard time believing anyone would buy the game on Steam rather than on GoG, where you get virtual goods like wallpapers, maps, avatars, artwork and everything without DRM for $10.