Weird sighting over Norway

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Carnagath said:
And a supernova THAT bright?
Just an F-Y-I, Kepler's supernova in 1987, that happened in a nearby galaxy, was easily visible with the naked eye. If a supernova happened within 100 light-years of earth, the gamma rays released would be enough to significantly deplete our ozone layer enough to kill potentially 50-60 percent of all currently known species on Earth from the aftereffects.

The first recorded supernova was around 180 AD by the Chinese, when a star suddenly outshone everything but the moon (a full moon at that) on the night sky.

Supernova are really visible if they happen anywhere nearby. As in, within this galaxy. But I doubt that was a supernova, lasted far too long and the blue light is just plain freaky. It might have been blue-shifted, but then it would be uniformly blue. Effects of the ionosphere apparently have already been discounted.

I'm mostly leaning towards a hoax or somesuch, but that is just guesswork. Far too little information is available to make an informed decision.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget the spiral.... "GIGA... DRILL... BREAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Maybe they should look for the source istead of squawking like hens?

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
The Russians "denied testing weapons at that time"
So just because they said that, it's the truth?

I don't know, the main image looks really computer generated, but the videos seem more realistic.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
That is pretty awesome. And to think I wouldn't see this without visiting this site! And I live in Norway! Not in the north where you could see this, but anyway.

While it would be awesome if this was something really special, it is only a failed Russian missile launch [http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/utenriks/-det-var-en-mislykket-rakettutskytning-fra-ubaat-3052536.html]. I know most of you cannot read Norwegian, but that is what it says. It was a so called "Bulava missile". So... nothing fun really.

It does look awesome though.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Jaqen Hghar said:
That is pretty awesome. And to think I wouldn't see this without visiting this site! And I live in Norway! Not in the north where you could see this, but anyway.

While it would be awesome if this was something really special, it is only a failed Russian missile launch [http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/utenriks/-det-var-en-mislykket-rakettutskytning-fra-ubaat-3052536.html]. I know most of you cannot read Norwegian, but that is what it says. It was a so called "Bulava missile". So... nothing fun really.

I can't read Norwegian indeed, but that looks like a nuclear submarine to me dude. You should consider getting the hell outta there...

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Jaqen Hghar said:

Aww man. And here I thought that aliens were making contact with us.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Besides, I thought the Russians denied any weapons tests took place. Of course, that's what they would do, I wouldn't expect them to say: "OOPS, our freaky ass organic spiral nuclear antimatter missile went rogue, haha, sorry guys".

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Carnagath said:
Seeing how the article states how this is the seventh failure out of 12 tests, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Grayjack72 said:
Would be awesome, wouldn't it? Sadly, I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

Carnagath said:
Besides, I thought the Russians denied any weapons tests took place. Of course, that's what they would do, I wouldn't expect them to say: "OOPS, our freaky ass organic spiral nuclear antimatter missile went rogue, haha, sorry guys".
Seems the reason why they denied it at first is because they are embarrassed over another failure. That is the reason why they aren't giving an official statement on the matter anyway. But the whole missile thing comes from a source in the Russian Army, so it is pretty certainly that.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
it is NOT a supernova. They would appear as a bright star.

In a video I saw (from a norvegian tv channel I think) I could easilly see the beam from the projector, so this is something projected on the sky from the ground.

SwampCandle

Nov 3, 2008
Oh dear, someone turned on the LHC and god had to make it break again. Only this time he thought to distract us all while he did it!

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
Someone took too many happy pills and put a spirograph drawing on a big searchlight. That is all.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Quick when the aliens land we have to get Commander Shepard to fuck them all!

Eh, there free to take the planet for all I care, cant do worse than we are now.