"Well, I don't even own a Television"...Ugh

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
I don't own a TV, largely so I don't have to pay license fee. If I want something to watch, I can download it, without the temptation to just plop myself down in front of the television and watch any odl crap when I could be doing something more edifying.

Sep 17, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Have you ever come across a person who prides themselves in the fact that they don't own a television, or deprive themselves of some other form of "escapism" and just get plain annoyed?

I have a passion for theater, T.V. and film so I find it very frustrating when I hear about people not owning a T.V. because they think that it's a good thing or they are better than others because of it.

I believe that they are missing out on some great art (it is unfortunate that the best T.V. shows you have to pay for though, for example many shows on Showtime).

Anyone else get annoyed by this snobbery? Or have some of their own experiences to share?
I don't own a TV but I'm not snobby about it. Well, check that, I do own a TV, but I don't watch TV on it. I use it to play games and watch sports and racing once a week, but its dying and I'm getting a monitor. I just don't like anything on TV(the list of shit rolls on as you probably know), or haven't found anything. Recommend any good shows? I miss having Showtime :(
Hmmm all the shows I would list would be on Showtime, but some other good shows are The Office, 30 Rock, and sometimes House.

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
Honestly, I respect their choice to not have a TV, but should they ever say "I don't have a TV." In a condescending, "I'm better than you" tone, they're getting punched in the face.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
ethaninja said:
Well I don't own a computer... oh wait...

OT: Well if they are being snobby douchebags about it, I would rather punch them in the face. However, if they are just stating the fact that they don't own it does not bother me so much. There could be many reasons they don't own such device. Shit like that is pretty expensive these days. Which begs the question, why the hell did my folks by a huge flatscreen tv (come on in robbers, the key is under the doormat) when they can barely afford to pay the damn bills? Stupid r'tards.
Especially when you have to fork out £145 for a TV Licence in Britain. I'm a fan of the BBC but it's a bit steep.

Doctor Who is good though, so I'll suck it up.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
For me it's the commercials that give me brain hemorrhages. Then again i will watch discovery, National geagraphic and the History channel, so i'm not off TV entirely. Besides, my consoles need a TV...

Sep 17, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Have you ever come across a person who prides themselves in the fact that they don't own a television, or deprive themselves of some other form of "escapism" and just get plain annoyed?

I have a passion for theater, T.V. and film so I find it very frustrating when I hear about people not owning a T.V. because they think that it's a good thing or they are better than others because of it.

I believe that they are missing out on some great art (it is unfortunate that the best T.V. shows you have to pay for though, for example many shows on Showtime).

Anyone else get annoyed by this snobbery? Or have some of their own experiences to share?
Whoops, I just responded to this in another thread, I will respond in a more quick manner to this one.......

Get over yourself, it's ok for people to not like what you do. Art is in the eye of the beholder, not just your eye.

Calling another persons pride into question is a rather tricky ordeal. I would think respecting those who hold different values, is more important than trying to rally others to make your opinions more valid.
Get over myself? Hmmm

I have no problem with people not liking what I like, and I never insulted anyones views on art, I was simply suggesting my own.

Maybe you didn't understand what I meant. I was just saying how when people go about not having a T.V. in a snobbish manner I get annoyed.

I have no problem with people that don't like T.V. (although I feel as though they are missing out) as long as they don't present themselves to me in such a frustrating manner.

Instead of being so accusatory maybe you should realize that you are in fact disrespecting my views when all I was doing was sharing my thoughts on a subject.

If we are not allowed to share our experiences and ask about the experiences of others on this forum, then I highly doubt we'd have much to talk about.

I know playing Devils Advocate may seem like a interesting way to strike up a conversation, but it just seems like you were bored and felt the need to prove something to yourself. I am not here to start a fight, nor am I trying to make my opinions more "valid", because that is redundant. Your opinions can only be justified by yourself, I was simply striking up conversation.

Sep 17, 2009
Sober Thal said:
You shouldn't let others lives frustrate you due to a lack of the same passions that you hold dear. You need to realize you aren't the be all end all of human opinions, and if someone lets you know they don't partake in the same things you love, it's not really that big of a deal.

You worry people don't experience this great 'art' that you do.... that's ok. Art is all in the eye of the beholder, and you shouldn't feel bad that others don't see things the same way you do.

I get annoyed by the snobbery of those who feel bad that others don't keep the same preoccupations sacred that you do.

Have you ever come across a person who prides themselves in the fact
Your pride in the 'opinion', not 'fact' bothers me more than those who don't watch tv.

It's ok to not like things you like, and the same can be said to anyone.
Wow, you really took my T.V. example too far.

We agree according to this:
Sober Thal said:
I get annoyed by the snobbery of those who feel bad that others don't keep the same preoccupations sacred that you do.
I literally was only talking about how snobbish people annoy me, but I gave an example to support my statement. I never meant any of what you said. Your own interpretation speaks to your own nature.

Aureli said:
There's a woman in my speech class who does the same thing about the internet. Every time she comments on it, I come close to twitching, because she goes on about how the internet is a waste of time that makes people fat and lazy and I have to writing my retorts down so I don't go off about her pretentious bullshit.
This is the kind of stuff that I meant annoys me, it has nothing to do with "my opinion of art" or my "need to validate my opinions" or whatever else you said. You shouldn't be so concerned with my opinions.

Songbird-O

Jan 13, 2010
I don't watch TV, but I don't make a big fuss about it.

Those people just don't want to "follow the crowd." Rebels are cool. Chicks dig their rebellious ability to not watch television. They are so much better than those couch potato blobs who watch TV all day because they don't watch TV. AT ALL. Real friggin' hardcore.

Sounds pretty stupid to me.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Sun Flash said:
ethaninja said:
Well I don't own a computer... oh wait...

OT: Well if they are being snobby douchebags about it, I would rather punch them in the face. However, if they are just stating the fact that they don't own it does not bother me so much. There could be many reasons they don't own such device. Shit like that is pretty expensive these days. Which begs the question, why the hell did my folks by a huge flatscreen tv (come on in robbers, the key is under the doormat) when they can barely afford to pay the damn bills? Stupid r'tards.
Especially when you have to fork out £145 for a TV Licence in Britain. I'm a fan of the BBC but it's a bit steep.

Doctor Who is good though, so I'll suck it up.
WHAT?!?! You have to pay for a TV license?! That fucking sucks.

DoctorWisconsin

Nov 22, 2009
Don't you know that the TV is where the mind control signals come from?

Didn't you ever see They Live?

It comes on IFC sometimes, catch it if you can.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
I own a television, there's like 3 in my room. Technically they're monitors with a TV tuner but these days chances are if you're on the escapist even if you don't own a TV you're probably steaming/downloading media.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Eh, given the shit they generally fill most channels with, I understand not having a TV.

I mean, what's the point? You can get better quality and quantity of news off the internet.

You can easily access just about any movies or shows on internet as well, semi-legally or not.

Nothing wrong in priding yourself in abstaining of some form of escapism. Hell, if you think it is, you're probably a hypocrite... I mean, just look at Twilight and the attention it receives here on Escapist. Granted, it's a shitty book, but that's something you can say for the quality of many TV shows.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
I don't watch TV. The best shows are never on the good time slots, and daytime TV is 90% terribad. Too much reality TV.

There are good shows around, but I mostly just get the DvD's for them.