Well Peta Finally Went There...

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Nieroshai said:
Casual Shinji said:
You do realize PETA picks on Pokemon because it's what's popular, right? [sub][sub]That's a lotta P's![/sub][/sub]

How else are they going to stay current - By actually achieving something?

EDIT: Pikachu looks fucking hyped though! :D
PETA picked a peck of pugilistic Pokemon?
Best comment ever ^

OT: f*ck PETA, /thread.
And as a side-note, everyone here under the age of 21, you grew up with Pokemon, do you think Animal Bloodsports are cool? Because as an 8 year old playing Pokemon, I did understand that real dogs didn't breath fire and I wouldn't make one fight a bat.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Having played the game, it's pretty clearly that the people who actually sat down and made it love and are pretty knowledgeable about Pokemon.

DrunkOnEstus said:
But please, just as we strive not to look upon races, religions, creeds, and other groups as monolithic hiveminds that behave the same way, vegetarians/vegans do not also plug our minds into the motherbrain of "piss off the omnivores".
But...bacon*shot*

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
It's kind of silly how PETA tackles this issue now, just after the latest OFFICIAL games tackled the issue head on. Pokemon B&W's storyline actually involves a terrorist organization much like PETA fighting for the freedom of Pokemon. They're mostly in the wrong however, because Pokemon fight willfully, and humans and Pokemon work together to accomplish their goals.

Czargent Sane

May 31, 2010
its actually hilarious when anyone talks about pokemon and what it means in terms of abuse and slavery when they don't know jack about the setting. most pokemon are orders of magnitude more powerful physically than their trainers, Pokeballs can be broken out of/resisted easily most of the time, and dissatisfied pokemon will wander off or really... do whatever they want.
pokemon are seen to have extreme healing ability, and ultra high durability. it is more than likely that outside of rare occurrences pokemon are not injured by their matches in -at all-. especially seeing as many of them treat these fights as little more than a game.

its easy, and stupid mind you, to take a quick look at pikachu fighting some weird pig monster and say "OH, ANIMAL FIGHTING" but that argument falls apart if you look at something like say.... Machoke, who is essentially just a nine foot tall guy who can bench press a train. Mind telling me how exactly anyone is coercing him into doing anything? or what about ghost types? hows that bullwhip doing on AN INTANGIBLE SPIRIT OF THE DEAD.

Pokemon humans are living ins a hostile world filled with magic and city leveling danger, and they're just lucky to be friends with the fighting obsessed creatures that live there.

Cari

Oct 16, 2012
There's something even more important that those comparing Pokemon to animal fighting are missing, other than the fact that it's fictional: THE CONTEXT. Pokemon originated in Japan. Pokemon is seeped in Japanese mythology, with some Pokemon being actual or symbolic representations of mythological figures. To explain this in more depth, I'll share this letter that one person wrote to PETA and posted on Tumblr:

"Dear PETA,

I may not be an ardent Pokémon fan, but even I can see the flaws in your anti-Pokémon campaign.

Pokémon was never, and will never be, about pets. Pokémon (the series), and the monsters set in that alternate universe, are a product of the monsters that can be found in Japanese legend, among other things. The inspiration of many Pokémon can be traced back to specific kinds of monsters (bakemono), or gods (kami) that can be found in Japan, where Pokemon was conceived. They?re spirits. They?re mythical. They?re not actually physical beings unless they want to be. And how can we be sure of that? Because they fit in a ball that is, for the most part, about 2% of their actual size. That?s not technology, that?s a throwback to Japanese mysticism, where certain talented people (priestesses and priests, revered, then and now, for their abilities to intervene beween the spirits and the humans, as well as the fox employing clans, or tsukimono-suji) were able to control spirits through spells, charms, and ritual acts.

There is also the concept of the shikigami, which are spirits that can appear to be animals at times (Pokémon), can only be controlled by the spiritual power of its master (Pokébadges) and are typically housed in smaller, physical objects, such as paper? (Pokéballs).

Before you state that this whole concept is insane, and discredit this more-than-theory, let?s look at the facts, shall we?

Shinto, the oldest Japanese religion (which has also subsequently bled into every other religion in Japan, as well as the culture as a whole) has hundreds of gods, or spirits. Each spirit has unique qualities, and are revered or despised for different reasons. In some stories, each spirit has a name, and if the name is known to a human, that human has power over that spirit (see also: pokédex). Since Shintoism has seeped into Japanese culture, Japanese media often have a lot to do with the mystical world.

And what about the Pokémon themselves? Let?s start with something silly.

Magikarp, the silly, nearly useless, goldfish pokemon, evolves into Gyarados, who, according to its Bulbapedia entry, resembles ?dragons in Chinese mythology?. Chinese dragons are spirits of the rivers. They are gods. They are not to be trifled with. Why would a silly, useless fish evolve into a god? In an earlier era, the Japanese believed that tsunamis were caused by the splashing of a large fish in the ocean. Suddenly, Magikarp?s signature move, Splash, makes sense.

Vulpix and Ninetales can very easily be seen as a kitsune, or fox-spirits, which are remarkably well known spirits that often have many tails. Kitsune are gods in some areas, tricksters in others, and familiars of witches in yet others. They were thought to be the cause of what is known as will-o?-the-wisps (known as kitsune-bi, quite literally fox fire). Maybe that is why both Vulpix and Ninetales have the ability to conjure fire?

There are also many Pokémon that look like everyday household objects. Since I seem to be focussing on the first 151 Pokémon, I will name just a few of them. Magnemite, Magneton, Voltorb, and Electrode, to name a few. Tsukumogami are objects that, after one hundred years, earn a soul. Since tsukumogami are usually not electrical in nature, it is obvious that the basis is very slight.

Meowth is obviously based off the Maneki-neko, or beckoning cat. The Maneki-neko is a statue that is said to bring good fortune and wealth, which is reminiscent of Meowth?s move, Pay Day.

That short list is barely scratching the surface of the wealth Japanese folklore from which Pokémon draws its inspiration. To say that Pokémon are pets is degrading and insulting towards the rich culture and history that Pokémon draws from.

Now, until I see you campaigning for the rights of Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Abominable snowman, the unicorn, the last of the dragons, and the jackalope (among other mythical creatures in the Western world), I highly advise you end your campaign against this culturally inspired franchise."

(Here is the original letter: http://v2kbug.tumblr.com/post/33611353963/an-open-letter-to-peta)