Were you a vampire in Oblivion?

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
I found I often become a vampire during numerous different play throughs I had during TES4. It was just more of a personal preference. Then I would get extremely annoyed by the sun's ill nature and do the quest to be gone with it. But I did often play as one.

How about you folks? It seems to be a popular game on this site, so who else was a vampire in Oblivion more often than not?

And if you'd like, feel free to share any tales of your journeys as a vampire.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I wanted to become a vampire, but I really don't want to play the PC version until I find a great list of mods to use. Also I have issues patching the game so that put me off as well. Being a vampire in TES4 sounds awesome though.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Yeah. It was fucking awesome.

Even though I didn't really play all that much of Oblivion, obviously I'm waaay more into Morrowind. Sadly the vampire system sucks in that game.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I became a vampire for the hell of it, but in the end it was more irritating than anything. I couldn't fast travel during the day, and no one would ever talk to me:(

Near the end-game though, I managed to pick up a bunch of fire resistance stuff, which made the whole vampirism thing infinitely more worthwhile, but it still seemed like just a tack on. There were no vampire clans or anything, unlike in Morrowind.

If, however, lycanthropy is brought back for Skyrim, I'll be all over it in an instant.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I became a vampire, but I was forever stuck as one.

You see, I had joined the Mage's Guild for more quests and stuff, but I had accidentally broken a rule and was out of the guild. I had also become a vampire before then.

So, before I could go on the quest to get rid of my vampirism, I would have to go on another quest to get 100 goddamn flowers of some sort or another.

Yeah, no. I just dealt with my vampirism.

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
I'm usually a vampire in Oblivion because the nighteyes and life detect spell help when you are trying to stealth around every where.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I was a couple of times, but never on purpose. I found it too much of a hassle since a lot of the time I was playing it while staying in the sunlight, and it was annoying having to run to the nearest dungeon to stay out of the sun whenever I was in the wilderness, or having to suffer damage when fast travelling. The bonuses to things like strength and whatnot weren't enough of a draw to make it worthwhile playing as a vampire for long, so I tended to try and avoid that curse where possible.

Hoiguyyami

Jun 17, 2009
Oh hell yes. Normally, i kept myself to the lowest form of vampirism so I wouldn't die from walking outside, and so people wouldn't run away when i tried to kill them. I only made one character and I played very stealthily, stealing everything i could find and killing all the monsters in a cave one at a time by hitting them in sneak mode. I had around 170 hours of being a vampire. Honestly, I think it's worth it just for Hunters Sight. And dont forget that you only get higher levels of vampirism while sleeping, and the only time i really found it nessecary to sleep was when leveling up, or doing quests.

Plus, at least you can steal crap when you sneak into a house to suck some blood.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
No. It's always seemed like more of a nuisance than anything, at least to me. I'd like to look at the pretty countryside in the day, thanks.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I honestly just hate how fuck-ugly it makes my character. The sun-damage is an inconvenience, but it's a secondary reason of why I avoid becoming a vamp at all costs.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
The first time I played Oblivion it was the first time I played any of The Elder Scrolls. I became a vampire by accident and couldn't figure out how to cure it. I was a breton mage with little health and couldn't purchase from shops due to the sun damage and the fact that I was new to the series. Also, I lost all of my stuff because I placed them all in a container in the arena. I didn't know how to gain enough money to purchase a home. Also, I breezed through quests as a level 1. After finally sleeping and figuring out how to level, I became a vampire and was officially screwed in just about every way the game can. Normal weapons were stronger than one time leveled items I was rewarded with.

Another time I became a vampire with more experience. My dark-elf assassin was doing pretty awesome and the disease fortified my abilities I actually used. The inexpensive charm spell takes care of any merchant who didn't want to help me out and one time a guard liked me enough to ignore my bounty. (I forget if he removed it)Unfortunately,I killed every NPC that looked at me funny and snooty high elf I came across so I had trouble finding quests to do. That, and being banned from a majority of the guilds.

The third time I was serious about the game and was a bit more intrigued with being vampire so I downloaded the vile lair and became a vampire again. I tried out that pool that heals you so I could quickly finish the mages guild quests via fast travel but I then I discovered that you can only get the disease once.

Other than that, I never become a vampire. The cons outweigh the perks. If you're an evil character that downloaded the patch that fixes Fathis Ules then have fun.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
I've thought about trying it a few time, but I ultimately decided it's more of a burden thatn a benefit

BTW if you want to cure your vampirism in an easier way, spend $2 and get the Vile Lair plugin; it has an altar that insta-cures it (there's also some pretty nice stealth gear that comes with it)