Wet

Sep 4, 2009
What's the gender mix of video game developers as a profession? According to this from 2005 - http://www.gamedev.net/columns/events/coverage/feature.asp?feature_id=41 - its less than 10%. If there are sod all female developers then it might explain some of the skewed depictions.

Hey guys, what do boobs actually look like?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Chipperz said:
Just wondering (it's come up a few times now in this thread, just not about this subject)...

What did people think of Ophelia from Brutal Legend? She's hot, smart, badass, has a decent backstory and isn't a complete cow to everyone she meets.

Sure, there's that part where she tries to kill Eddie and everything he's ever talked to, but that was all because of an honest mistake on Eddie's part, and I still wouldn't say it made her a *****...

Also, I can't say "no" to a decent goth chick.
I quite liked her. She seemed to have a decent character and was strong and capable while still being someone you could relate to.

It was nice to have a villian with decent motives for once; what with Lars being dead and Eddie rejecting her it seems reasonable that she turned to the Sea of Black Tears.

SithLibrarian

Mar 20, 2009
"You want to make a strong female character, you do the same thing you do to make a strong anything character. Give them a life, a backstory, hopes, dreams, desires. Give them the capacity to feel the whole gamut of emotions. Yes, let them be tough, but let them laugh, and cry, and find things to enjoy in life."

I can't think of any other female character that fits this description like Elena Fisher (Uncharted) - other than Alyx Vance.

Beltaine

Oct 27, 2008
I think pigeon-holing the "strong female" character into a 110% cold heartless ***** is a knee-jerk reaction brought upon by the hordes of feminists that scream whenever a female character is portrayed in the "helpless princess" stereotype.

Developers are so afraid of the feminist tounge-lashing that comes from making a female character show actual female traits, they leave them out altogether. The end result being a Terminator that looks like Ellen Ripley. (Aliens, for all you that weren't around in 1986)

LordJiro

Apr 23, 2008
Yahtzee, didn't you like Saints Row 2? The 'protagonist' is one of the most ruthless and evil main characters I've seen in a game. Everything s/he does is either for revenge or money, or a combination of both, and aside from that one scene with Carlos, s/he doesn't get any characterization as anything other than a total *****/bastard. Of course, on the other hand, s/he's not trying to pretend otherwise.

TheGreenGoblin

Jun 4, 2009
Beltaine said:
I think pigeon-holing the "strong female" character into a 110% cold heartless ***** is a knee-jerk reaction brought upon by the hordes of feminists that scream whenever a female character is portrayed in the "helpless princess" stereotype.
I think the spirit of the article here is that ***** and bimbo are opposite ends of the same spectrum and they are equally stupid. The article makes a sound demand: forget gender and sex and develop CHARACTERS. It does seem like only two decisions are made when creating these people: which genitals and which 1D personality will we slap on. Tits, *****-->Ruby.

And think carefully before you design your woman in the top 1% of hotness. She'll make 99% of women feel threatened, 100% of men feel like downloading naked pics.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yahtzee has just said something I've talked about for a while, and amazingly without getting flamed (well not much, and not so far).

Yes, I am getting tired of all the ultra-feminist amazons myself.

WJeff

Aug 14, 2009
It's true, developers seem to have a huge amount of trouble creating a likable female character in a game.

The only one that immediately comes to mind for me is Alyx Vance.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
high_castle said:
... Ashley Williams in Mass Effect, for instance, was tough but also had a sensitive streak and solid reasons for her demeanor and faults. Oh, and she had faults. And virtues. She wasn't a player character, though.
I killed Ashley :(
I still regret it, too. Even though at the time it seemed the right thing to do for the mission objectives. I think that's an indicator of a good game; over a year later and I still regret a choice I made.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
My college English teacher had the same problem.

She didn't seem to understand the difference between being a strong and independent woman, and being a c*nt

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
RabbitDynamite said:
Some good examples of "good" female characters bought up (particuarly good call on Terra and Celes). One which i feel need a mention is Glados from portal. Not an admirable character by any means, nor strictly speaking a woman, but shes undeniably feminine and a superbly written character. You could, if you wanted to, dismiss her as a mysogynist "illogical woman" archetype, but that's the point. As a character who more or less takes up the whole of one off the most beloved videogame narratives in years, Glados is immensely appealing as an antagonist, subtlety written and characterised, and offers a tremendous amount of food for thought and depth of interpretation. Feminist criticism is usually one of my bugbears, but there's some very good stuff written on Portal from that perspective. So yeah, Glados rocks. And stuff.
I take your GLADoS and raise you a SHODAN. Again, not strictly a woman, but in System Shock 2 especially (in which SHODAN was a classic vengeful mother-figure) SHODAN was an immensely well-characterised strong feminine character. Also easily the best antagonist of any game I've ever played.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
It seems like the only way to get decent female characters is to write them as if they're a male character and then leave the gender decision up to the player, a la Saints Row 2. (But, even then, I'd say it's a gamble, because half the time the male protagonists seem just as empty and wet as their female counterparts, even if they fall into a different set of stereotypes.) Either that or put them into the wonderful nameless, faceless, voiceless category of protagonists, like Chell.

Sometimes I have to wonder if the people who are writing the scripts have ever actually met...you know, people. oO I think it's the eternal problem of trying so desperately hard to make a character likeable that they throw all the cliches of characters from movies or TV sitcoms at them in order to make them marketable. Never mind the fact that nobody actually likes those people. Either that or they're all just author-inserts.

shaderkul

Apr 19, 2009
high_castle said:
I agree entirely. And being a female gamer, I usually steer clear of female protagonists because they're mostly giant-breasted-fan-service-on-legs or one-dimensional-bitches. Few games manage to give a balanced, multi-dimensional female character. The games I can think of that do are usually RPGs. Ashley Williams in Mass Effect, for instance, was tough but also had a sensitive streak and solid reasons for her demeanor and faults. Oh, and she had faults. And virtues. She wasn't a player character, though.
Agree with that totally, Ashley in Mass Effect was a well developed character that you could identify with and relate to. All the more painful when I had to send her to her death. ;-)

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I thought you didnt make your own videos anymore

at least that was what I have been told