Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Why don't you join this usergroup :3

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Warhammer-Fantasy-40K-Followers

Always happy to discuss things there.

I'm more of a painter and collector but I'm trying to put a 5th ed guard army together and I have an old Rogue Trader Ork army. Favourite I suppose is guard because of the nice range of regiments. I don't acknowledge the existence of Tau and Dark Eldar so technically they can't be my least favourite, Necrons I can stomach although the C'Tan fall into the same camp as the other 2 non existent races. Marines of either side are a mixed bag, some I really like, others are the suckiest things in the setting. Eldar have great designs but otherwise the Elves in space brings them down a fair bit.

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
Let's see:
~7000 point Chaos Marine army (including Apocalypse formations, ~6500 otherwise). My main army that I've been collecting & playing with for years. Won a few local tournies with my 1500 pt "Kharn & Friends" 'Raider list. A big Ol' mix-up of various Legions and units. Originally Black Legion, went to Iron Warriors, now I have a unit I'm planning to use as Night Lords sitting unpainted around my home.

~2500 point renegade Imperial Guard army (using the regular IG codex, [my god Psyker Battle Squads are awesome]). This is my current army. Mmmm massed infantry. ... I really do miss the 20-man box of cadians. :( I've even got a Baneblade to go with it, though I've used for my Chaos Marines before I started my Guard army. The guys themselves follow the description of the human soldiers used by the Iron Warriors in Storm of Iron.

There's also my almost-entirely metal 3rd edition Biel-Tan Craftworld Eldar army I have lying around. That's not seen the light of day in several years. ~2000 points IIRC. This one box weighs more than my entire Chaos army.

My least favourite force?
I feel Tau don't get a fair shake at the fluff tree, so come off a bit 'meh'. The current Marine fluff (pick your flavour) lacks any kind of substance. Neither of these problems will be fixed until GW stops letting Mat Ward write fluff, he's atrocious at it. Draigo is about as well written as Bella Fucking Swan!

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
angry_flashlight said:
Neither of these problems will be fixed until GW stops letting Mat Ward write fluff, he's atrocious at it. Draigo is about as well written as Bella Fucking Swan!
What do you expect out of someone who, when accused of writing a game-breaking book, replies "good. That means I'm doing my job".

Someone needs to slap him, hard.

Naeras said:
But, by the way, I'd like someone to enlighten me on this: Do Thousand Sons-marines count as basic infantry? They're my favorite chapter by far, and I'm fairly certain there was some special rules for them in the rulebook.
Yes, they're Troop choices.

They're expensive, but certainly worth it.

23pts per Marine nails you a 4+ invulnerable save (in addition to the 3+ armour save), Fearless, Slow & Purposeful, and they fire Inferno Bolts (AP3). AND they're led by an Aspiring Sorcerer.

Downsides are, they are slow (as the Slow & Purposeful rule says) and if the Sorcerer dies, they get even SLOWER. But as far as line Marines go, these guys rock.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
I play Eldar mostly, when I feel especially lucky or for fun, I'll bring out my Space Wolves, I love the Eldar history, not to mention that they are THE psykers of the universe, all you other wannabes just don't have what it takes to master and avoid the dangers that infest the warp. The Space Wolves I play just because who wouldn't want nine-inch fangs as they grow older, besides the fact that their Primarch was a giant among giants, and fought the emperor just for the hell of it.
My least favorite would have to be the Tyranids-and I've been playing since 40k came out so Tyranid players and sympathizers don't feel the need to blast me- because they were so overpowered when they first came out, and I still feel that they are a bit overpowered compared to the rest of the races, besides the fact that when you lose to alot of their players they think they're so good at the game and the reason they won was because of their damn Lictors or HTs, but then there's the occasional guy that's actually a good sport over it and is also a really good player, so when you win against them it feels like you actually accomplished something.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Redryhno said:
Aurgelmir said:
Space Wolves all the way!

I think I dislike the chaos daemons the most, mostly because I hate playing against them, and well I think it would be cooler if they were integrated with the Chaos Marines somehow.

PS the mini painting thread:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...gallery-thread-also-Ultramarines-movie-review
Probably won't happen in the near future seeing as how they were a part of CSM, but were split off around 3rd or 4th ed. I think.
You can still field Demons with Codex: Chaos Marines, but the choices are far more limited and generic than with an army purely based on the Demons Codex.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Iwata said:
Redryhno said:
Aurgelmir said:

I think I dislike the chaos daemons the most, mostly because I hate playing against them, and well I think it would be cooler if they were integrated with the Chaos Marines somehow.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...gallery-thread-also-Ultramarines-movie-review
Probably won't happen in the near future seeing as how they were a part of CSM, but were split off around 3rd or 4th ed. I think.
You can still field Demons with Codex: Chaos Marines, but the choices are far more limited and generic than with an army purely based on the Demons Codex.
Yeah, why couldn't they leave it the way it was, when you could have Plaguebearers and Bloodthirsters marching beside your Zerks and Plague Marines, sure the demons were devastating in cc, but my friends stopped bringing them when I brought my Wraithguard out and kept sending them home a turn after being summoned

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
I have a Necron army for all out destruction and when I feel like just obliterating everything in path. (Night-bringer and Monolith with a Necron Lord with Veil of Darkness + Res Orb makes my opponents rage so much)

If I'm feeling more charitable or feel like being a bit more tactical then whip out my Chaos Army (Slaanesh ruled - Angel of Ecstasy (Pink Chaos Marines ftw, with a few troops and vehicals painted with pre-Horus Heresy Emperor Children colours (Purple and Gold))

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Redryhno said:
Aurgelmir said:

Yeah I know. Still they are okay as Daemons in Fantasy, but I just hate them in 40k, just so annoying.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Aurgelmir said:
Redryhno said:
Aurgelmir said:

Yeah I know. Still they are okay as Daemons in Fantasy, but I just hate them in 40k, just so annoying.
Just throw 50 Boyz at 'em, they'll die pretty easily that way, but since you're SW, take two long fang squads, full strength, with at least one of every heavy weapon,particularly lascannon and heavy bolter and blast from two sides with lots of blood claws keeping them tied up. works almost every time.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Redryhno said:
Aurgelmir said:
Redryhno said:
Aurgelmir said:

Just throw 50 Boyz at 'em, they'll die pretty easily that way, but since you're SW, take two long fang squads, full strength, with at least one of every heavy weapon,particularly lascannon and heavy bolter and blast from two sides with lots of blood claws keeping them tied up. works almost every time.
In my experience the Flamers of Tzeench will just land as close to the fangs as possible and make burning cinders of them all :p

But it's not that I lack strategy, its just they are annoying to fight, with their drop play.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
I like to play Tau from time to time. Atlhough these days I don't have much time to paint.

JFrog84

Jan 13, 2011
Redryhno said:
Aurgelmir said:

Yeah 2nd ed was the good old days for any Chaos collector being able to field mixed chaos armies in both 40k and fantasy. Also when your pink horros died they used to split into 2 blue ones.

I do wish it would go back to the old way of doing things, it made more sense.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Oh wow, this post blew up in a single day, i only expected a couple of people to post and then for it to die out.

I've always been undecided with what armies i want to play, when i 1st started to get interested in 40K i started out as Tau, i just loved the fire power they could throw out at such long range, but then for what ever reason, i became greatly interested in Tyranids, the thought of a huge swarm of genestealers ripping marines and IG to part seemed great, but after playing a few matches with them i decided the play style was not for me. Now the Fores of Chaos have arisen to my interests, as strong as Space marines, but with a dark twist. Hopefully i will stick with them for now until i have a decent army.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Insanity72 said:
Oh wow, this post blew up in a single day, i only expected a couple of people to post and then for it to die out.

I've always been undecided with what armies i want to play, when i 1st started to get interested in 40K i started out as Tau, i just loved the fire power they could throw out at such long range, but then for what ever reason, i became greatly interested in Tyranids, the thought of a huge swarm of genestealers ripping marines and IG to part seemed great, but after playing a few matches with them i decided the play style was not for me. Now the Fores of Chaos have arisen to my interests, as strong as Space marines, but with a dark twist. Hopefully i will stick with them for now until i have a decent army.
A lot of people like Warhammer you know :) It's a fun game.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Aurgelmir said:
Insanity72 said:

A lot of people like Warhammer you know :) It's a fun game.
Yeah i know it's a popular game, but i just expected more popular topics to overtake it before it even got 2 pages, great to see that it got to 4 though :D

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
Iwata said:
angry_flashlight said:
Neither of these problems will be fixed until GW stops letting Mat Ward write fluff, he's atrocious at it. Draigo is about as well written as Bella Fucking Swan!
What do you expect out of someone who, when accused of writing a game-breaking book, replies "good. That means I'm doing my job".

Someone needs to slap him, hard.
He said that?!?!?! Why isn't he fired again? RAAAHHH!!!!

KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! ...

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Aurgelmir said:
But it's not that I lack strategy, its just they are annoying to fight, with their drop play.
You've probably had rather bad luck wrt enemy's dice rolls, since I can assure you, a drop-pod army is waaaay worse to play against. Especially when they give you first turn and you're looking at just a measly scout squad surrounded by cover that you can't shoot or do anything against, and no amount of mulling over movement options can prepare you for the arrival of four drop pods with two Dreads, a Tac squad and Sternguard.

angry_flashlight said:
RAAAHHH!!!!

KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! ...
You're chain-axe, my lord. *presents Gorechild*

*hefts own heavy flamer*

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
RadioactiveTurtle said:
Chaos scum will be purged by the black templars, I assure you. And I occasionally roll with the grey knights, when I feel especially zealous.
Fellow Black Templar! Hail, brother.

Of course when I'm not playing these paragons of...we'll call it virtue, I play the traitorous, fickle Alpha Legion, lovingly crafted with Shoulder Pads and all (Forge World Dreadnought soon to be added).