What annoys you the most in modern gaming?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
I
Kahunaburger said:
SajuukKhar said:
And some games still use turn based BS
Seriously, man, all them chess and go players should just l2p CoD

SajuukKhar said:
and dice roll mechanics.
Oh, wait... Tribes, then? Maybe?
This is the same dude that was trying to tell us how great the ES leveling system was ?

Who needs tactical turn based rpgs and dice rolls when we can have mindless button mashing/shooting and TOTAL IMMERSHUN. FUCK YEA !!!!
Yeppers, because pause and play mechanics for games that are not turn-based totally destroy any form of strategy. You know, if you want people to actually get your point, you might try no acting like a total asshole or insulting them. Just a thought...
I thought you were off to go play and enjoy some good video games ?
Just got back from that. Does not mean I can't take a break to chew out some troll on the internet anyway.

Vanilla_Druid

Feb 14, 2012
Launcelot111 said:
My complaint is that so many games are just so serious and that so few have any sense of humor about themselves or anything. Like we have way too many shooters, but so many are military shooters which place you in very serious military settings, and then we have Gears of War/Halo space type shooters but instead of having any fun with the absurd weapons, everything is played so straight. So much is dark and gritty without any variation from that one tone. Fallout breaks this tradition, but the series has a strong history of black humor, DNF breaks this tradition but it's DNF, and in terms of new series, the only ones I can think of of any genre that I've played in the past few years with any sense of levity are Portal (great in this regard), Mass Effect (but only a little bit), Bayonetta (not a great example to follow), and No More Heroes (over the top but not fun to play in my book). Dark and gritty has its place, but last gen, we had much stronger showings from Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Psychonauts, Katamari Damacy, Okami, Chibi Robo, and many others. Maybe its the decline of Japanese influence, and thus Japanese quirkiness, over Western gamers, but I enjoy whimsy and humor far more than being macho and serious
I hope we either see Japan make a comeback, or Western developers develop (no pun intended) a sense of humour.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Matthew94 said:
I can't tell whether the last line was a joke or not.

Anyway, about the scale of items. I of course refer to games that do the grid right. RE5 did it wrong with the herb=machine gun system but RE4 did it right with the multiple herbs = 1 gun route and it let you make the case bigger.
I liked STALKER's grid only because it just kept expanding, there was no real limit on it that I found.

but I still prefer list based, it is so much easier to find a item when I can just go to MISC section and scroll down a alphabetical list of items.

More fun then spending 10 minutes looking through various sized objects for the one item that only takes up one tiny square that's hidden between like 6 big things.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Matthew94 said:
TestECull said:
I disagree. I hate grids. They're a pain in the ass to work with, and often end up with immersion shattering "This AK47 takes up the same amount of space as this Snickers" problems. You also end up with an inventory cripplingly small.

Having a black hole in your back pocket and a list-based inventory is less immersion breaking, therefore I prefer it.
I can't tell whether the last line was a joke or not.

Anyway, about the scale of items. I of course refer to games that do the grid right. RE5 did it wrong with the herb=machine gun system but RE4 did it right with the multiple herbs = 1 gun route and it let you make the case bigger.
Oh God this... I loved RE4's inventory system, and by that extension DE:HR's too. Give a more tactical aspect of having to decide whther or not carrying around that RPG which takes up have your available slots is worth it, if you dont ever use it. (seriously, save for the one boss fight in DE:HR, why would you need the rocket launcher?)

*Edit*

A thought...

What if one was to combine the carrying capcity/wieght system from a game like Fallout New Vegas, and the grid based system from DE:HR? Basically, you STR would be a 1-10, with your base being 5. The grid would repesent this strengh, with items you can find and carry having their wieght be represented by their size on the grid. So, increasing your STR attribute would translate into smaller grid squares, thus the smaller an thus more grid space for items, while having less than Base STR would mean larger grid squares, thus you cant carry as much. Is there a game that does that yet, for if not, than someone should try that...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
People that like to complain about things they hate about 'modern gaming'... all the time.

And fanboys, but that has been going on for decades.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
- "streamlining"
- The shoehorning of shooter mechanics into everything.
- The over saturation of Shooters in general.
- The excessive amount of whining by spoiled brat gamers. (no it's not ironic, I'm only expressing this because I was asked) And no, I'm not just talking about the ME3 ending thing, this has been a problem before that, the ME3 ending thing just brought it to an all new low.
- The emphasis on multiplayer at the expense of single player.
- Publishers trying to fight piracy/used game sales at the expense of their customers (NOT A SMART BUSINESS MOVE YOU MORONS!!).

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
I
Kahunaburger said:
SajuukKhar said:
And some games still use turn based BS
Seriously, man, all them chess and go players should just l2p CoD

SajuukKhar said:
and dice roll mechanics.
Oh, wait... Tribes, then? Maybe?
This is the same dude that was trying to tell us how great the ES leveling system was ?

Who needs tactical turn based rpgs and dice rolls when we can have mindless button mashing/shooting and TOTAL IMMERSHUN. FUCK YEA !!!!
Yeppers, because pause and play mechanics for games that are not turn-based totally destroy any form of strategy. You know, if you want people to actually get your point, you might try no acting like a total asshole or insulting them. Just a thought...
I thought you were off to go play and enjoy some good video games ?
Just got back from that. Does not mean I can't take a break to chew out some troll on the internet anyway.
I'm sure there's some schlong out there you'd rather be chewing on.

Well, thanks for confirming my suspicions that you are an asinine troll that I can safely ignore. Just saved me a lot of trouble from actually paying attention to any of the crap you spew.

Rai^3

Jul 25, 2009
Chanel Tompkins said:
The thing that annoys me most is the passcode thing. You know, where unless you buy it new and put in the passcode you get jilted out of content. Yeah, ok, reward the people who buy new, but at LEAST make the content available as DLC for those of us who can't buy new please?
They generally do, you just have to shell out more monies for it. Utter bullshit.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
The fucking online passes. It's really annoying especially when there is more than one console in the house.

The regenerating health bar. I admit, ME2 seems so much easier just because I know that all I have to do is hide for a bit and my health will come back vs ME1 when I had to "OH FUCK I HAVE ONE BAR OF HEALTH LEFT! GARRUS! KAIDAN! STRATEGY! NOW!" i HAV

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Rai^3 said:
Regenerating health, hands-down. A game shouldn't fucking apologize for doing its goddamn job.
I don't think that's the game apologizing, I think it's partly the game devs being lazy. I mean with regenerating health, balancing stuff becomes a LOT easier because everything is a set piece where the player is confronted at 100% health. It's not like the old Doom where they had to scatter bits of ammo and health around and if it was balanced just right you were barely scraping by.

It does also potentially eliminate some of . . . frustration with the game. But, it takes away from some of the tension too. Space Marine isn't too terrible in this regard, because you do have a health bar but it doesn't regenerate (well, armour(shields) do but not health). In order to get health you need to do finishing moves so there's a bit of tension while the flow is still pretty decent. Though admittedly some of the checkpoints in that game are retarded.
Regen health imo seems to be born out of the problems of the older generation of online FPS, ie that unless you had complete mastery of weapon/health spawns you would get decimated by any real player.

But insted of finding a middle ground, assuming that on a numerical scale the player who memorized everything were at 100 and those that didn't were at 0 with 50 being the middle, it seems like they just took everyone to 0.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Anthraxus said:
Anthony Wells said:
Anthraxus said:
This guy doesn't understand the tactical and planning element to turn based rpgs, because according to him all they are is "the computer practically playing all the combat for you."

Mashers gonna mash !

ok I understand the tactical thing behind turn based rpg's and there is no random computer deciding stuff for that... What i complain about is the old KOTOR, Morrowind thing.. random invisible dice rolls to determine whther you hit or miss...yes there is a lot of tactic in upgrades and stuff but..honestly thats something i dont want in games.
Yea, i prefer the dice rolls to be visible too.

That would make a very interesting and investing game to me....hmmm