What Are Some Good Female Bands?

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Swollen Goat said:
I'm too dense to know what 'rock meta-genre' is, so I shall just list female musical entities until I run out. Throwing Muses, Breeders, Distillers, Emilee Autumn, Amanda Palmer, Kittie, The Agonist, Liz Phair, Hammerbox, Tadpole, Otep, Tilt....and that's it for now.
Any genre that falls into the larger "rock" category like punk, grunge, ect.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Croix Sinistre said:
ENKC said:
As much as I love Arch Enemy (I own ALL their special editions of ALL their albums), I have to say that Holy Moses is where it's at for female fronted extreme metal. Sabina Classen is a beast, and a major influence on Angela Gossow. In turn, the 'Queen of Metal' Doro was an influence on Sabina.
Still, you have to admit, Angela can growl better than even most males can.
Oh yes, Angela has more balls than almost any man. Just don't tell that to an elitist death metal fan, who will inevitably insist that she's the worst thing to happen to the genre EVAR! Sabina, however is in a different league of "holy frick that's so brutal I'm not convinced she's human".

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Nightwish is a very good band it isn't 100%female but the lead vocals is female.
the albums: Dark Passion Play and Century Child are the only albums i have bought in my life (legal).
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdZn7k5rZLQ[/link]

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Miumaru said:
Garbage definatly. I dont know if you would like them, but Ladytron is also a kick ass group. Neither is all female though. (1 female 3 male and 2 female 2 male respectively) Oh yeah, the singers for both are women, which seems to be your primary goal.
Thanks for the suggestion of Ladytron, I will check them out. I have only heard a few Garbage songs, but I have liked all of them so far.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Snownine said:
So lately I have been looking for some good female rock bands. Any time period or genre as long as it fits into the rock meta-genre. For my purposes I am looking for bands that are exclusively female or at least fronted by a woman. If there are any albums you particularly like or think people should hear please suggest those as well. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Also can you let me know if they are composed entirely of female members or just fronted by one.
I'm a fan of Within Temptation or Evanescence though really that's just the singer as far as I know.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
The Devotchkas
The Spookshow
The Creepshow
The Distillers
all the others i know were mentioned
perhaps Guano Apes if your into that stuff

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Girlschool, seen the supporting Motorhead several million times.

As for female led bands, check out Arch Enemy and Lacuna Coil.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Rilo Kiley fits in the greater rock genre so I'll go with them since I didn't see them in my scan of the comments. They're fronted mostly by a woman but sometimes they have one of the guys sing too.

Edit: Leaves Eyes! Forgot about them! Female voiced (mostly) Nordic Metal

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I've got a whole list of great female artists, some are more folksy/poppy then rock though so yea. Let me know. :)

ryuutchi

Apr 15, 2009
Raining Jane and Tuuli are both all-female.
Hole, Dubstar, Aqua and the Noisettes are all fronted by a woman.
Outgrabe is prog-rock duo with one guy and one girl.

daishonato

May 21, 2009
Going a bit old school here, but try Veruca Salt (2 lead female vocals) - a bit punkier on it, but fantastic stuff. The Donnas are a good middle ground - all girls, heavily KISS influenced, pretty kickass. Hole deserves an honorable mention for their earlier stuff (Celebrity Skin still is a brilliant album, despite how anyone might feel about Courtney Love), The Muffs for their slightly comic attitude to things. Anyone else? umm.. Die Mannequin, Furslide, Juliette and The Licks, Lacuna Coil, Letters to Cleo, PJ Harvey, Rasputina, Spinerette.. Think that'll do it.