What are some of the saddest songs you can think of?

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011

and a lot of stuff by Radiohead is pretty depressing-

Hans

Dec 18, 2011
DoPo said:
Sad as in mood they provoke or as in story they tell? Iron Man by Black Sabbath[footnote]If you don't like their sound, there are covers by other bands.[/footnote] is the latter, for example. The lyrics tell quite a depressing story. As for the former (at least for me)
No, the video definitely doesn't help.

Moby indeed, but rather Great Escape, not persé the saddest but it has this wonderful gloomy atmosphere..
Also, Glycerine, Machine Head, Troy, darn... loads ^^
I'm a gloomy music lover I spose...

Oeh, Rammstein's Klavier..

I'll stop now ;)

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
I reckon

Martha- Tom Waits
<youtube=y9Mse62NFl4>

When the Tigers broke free - Roger Waters/Pink Floyd
<youtube=TH2LoYnQeog>

BONUS SONG TO CHEER YOU UP
<youtube=RybNraLgbFM>

Bordersane

Aug 25, 2011
My Immortal - Evanescence
Lithium - Evanescence
When September Ends - Greenday
The Reason - Hoobastank
Lips of an Angel - Hinder
Slivia - Miike Snow
All I wanted - Paramore
Its been a while - Staind (in fact, anything by Staind)

^^^ - All Highly recommended, check them out ok?

Dr Bodom

Feb 6, 2012
Was going to say Snuff by Slipknot but as that's already been said I'll say Vermillion Part 2 by Slipknot and the chorus of Nymphetamine by Cradle Of Filth brings back pretty depressing memories.

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009

This is brilliant by one of my all time favourite singers (and Robert Plant's), the incomparable Sandy Denny.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Metallica - The Unforgiven 2

It's about a nonconformist driven to extreme loneliness because he'd never trust anyone enough to get close, but he's become so desperate that he wants nothing more than to let a girl he thinks he loves into his life. He has to choose between companionship or or his ideals. It's super sad.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Roughly half of all songs by Steven Wilson qualify for this list. Here are some examples:

Mr.Teatime

Sep 8, 2010
The lyrics in this song makes you want to hang yourself...
And then there's this one just because.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
krazykidd said:
So i am looking for some sad songs . And i am looking for suggestions . Knowing how knowledgable the escapists comunity is about... Well everything , i decide to ask this here . What are some of the saddest songs you can think of? Genre doesn't matter ( as long as it's not country , please lord no ). Thanks.

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
Too many songs so I'll only list a few.

1) God Damn the Sun - Swans
2) Mother - John Lennon
3) A Poet's Tears of Porcelain - Virgin Black
4) Dear Catherine - Love Like Blood
5) Divided - Tiamat
6) The Navesink Banks - Gaslight Anthem

AND one of the saddest songs of all times especially if you know what it's about:

7) The Son Never Shines on Closed Doors - Flogging Molly.

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
Here you go:THE definitive list of the saddest songs ever:
http://www.amazon.com/Hate-Myself-Want-Die-Depressing/dp/140130835X

From Amazon:
Book Description:
"Does the opening "pling pling plinggg" of Bette Midler's The Rose fill you with existential dread? Do you cringe at the mere whiff of what Phil Collins is spewing In the Air Tonight? Have you ever bolted from a restaurant because Celine Dion's cover of All By Myself was threatening to drive you over the edge? Well, turn around, bright eyes because Tom Reynolds is here with I HATE MYSELF AND WANT TO DIE, a laugh-out-loud-til-youre sobbing compendium of the world's most hideously depressing pop songs and a guide to what makes them so heartwrenchingly, earsplittingly sad and bad. With chapters like I Was a Teenage Car Crash, Im Trying to be Profound and Touching but Really Suck At It, Perfect Storms, and I Mope, Therefore I Am, Reynolds details the history of melodic misery, from the days of Bobby Darin to the era of Evanescence. Complete with a ranked Countdown of Doom and wonderfully dreary drawings, I HATE MYSELF AND WANT TO DIE is the one book that fans and foes of woeful tunes wont want to live without."

I own this book(picked it up in an ABC Shop sale) and it's absolutely hilarious.It pretty much lists every miserable song from just about every genre-from Johnny Cash's version of 'Hurt' to Dan Fogelberg's 'Same Auld Lang Syne' and Richard Harris's 'MacArthur Park'.If you can't find a depressing song for you after reading this book,you simply aren't trying.A few warnings tho'-it'll probably have at least a few songs you adore in there,but if you have a SOH you can disagree with the author and still have a giggle at his description of said tunes.Also,after reading the book you may find some of them not only depressing,but a tad silly.Guess you'll never 'leave the cake out in the rain' again,tho'.;-)

Thank-yous aren't necessary.Just leave money & beer on the fridge.;-)

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Sarah McLachlan - Gloomy Sunday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjWMtQcNJXI
Beth Orton - Stars All Seem To Weep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSGmahdU890
Mylo - Need You Tonight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAQ-UrcsBi0

Tigerlily Warrior

Jan 22, 2010
smithy_2045 said:
Pearl Jam - Black
If we're doing Pearl Jam, I'd go with Last Kiss. I love that song but I hardly ever listen to it because it makes me so sad.

Gary Jules' Mad World is awesomely melancholy.

And if we?re talking melancholy, pretty much all the songs from ?Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness? by Smashing Pumpkins.

Oh, and since I mentioned Mad World, the Donnie Darko sound track is mostly instrumental, but haunting and a bit depressing.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Aozora from the AIR sound track. It makes me cry in the first five seconds almost every time - mind you because it reminds me of what happens in the series...