What are you currently playing?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
62 down, 8 to go for Gold Rush in RDR2. I can’t remember when I last had time to play during the day on a weekend, but I could easily see cleaning the rest up this afternoon if that was a possibility.

Looking forward to getting back into Sekiro afterwards.

william32

Jan 31, 2021
Country
PK
Finally finished Cyberpunk 2077. I have 92 hours recorded on steam.

I believe I did every sidequest, and about half the gigs and ended the game at level 45.

It has the bones of a really great game, but unfortunately that's all it is, the bones. Nothing feels quite finished. A lot of the side quests don't have very satisfying conclusions. Some just kind of end abruptly, like there was a 3rd or 4th part to the quest-line that got cut.

I also ran into a lot of glitches. Nothing game breaking (though one did make me roll back about 4 hours of progress because one of the side quests I was doing didn't trigger correctly, which was really annoying).

All in all, it's a game I really want to like, but I definitely don't think anyone should play right now. Give the game a year and pick it up on sale once it's mostly fixed and there's been some free content updates.

I do plan to come back to it in like a year or 2 though and do another play through with a new character and make different decisions. The main story is really short and easy to complete, which is one of my criticisms of the game, but at least it's easy to do multiple play-throughs and see the different endings.

Now, time to play through Ghost Runner.
I am also planning to get back to get back this game sometime in 2022 when there will be a next-gen upgrade available as well as the DLC. Unlike you, I haven't finished the game and only played the game for few hours before getting my refund like a lot of other people all around the world.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Got back into Hades after a break of about a month. Felt kinda rusty at first, but still managed a couple of runs up to the boss fight of Elysium. I just can't deal with Theseus and Asterius though, even with an extra life still available. I don't know if I need to learn the fight better, buy more permanent upgrades, or just get a lucky boon build. I don't even know what a lucky boon build looks like, honestly.

Still, I'm enjoying it, even though I need a half-hour runback to get my ass kicked again. I beat all three Dark Souls games, so that's nothing new.

Reactions: gorfias

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Got back into Hades after a break of about a month. Felt kinda rusty at first, but still managed a couple of runs up to the boss fight of Elysium. I just can't deal with Theseus and Asterius though, even with an extra life still available. I don't know if I need to learn the fight better, buy more permanent upgrades, or just get a lucky boon build. I don't even know what a lucky boon build looks like, honestly.
As someone who regularly spanks Theseus and the Bull (seriously I think he's maybe beaten me like 3-4 times total), my standard strategy, regardless of build is as follows:

1. Focus on the bull first. He's generally the easier target of the 2, and when he gets to 50% nothing extra is added to the fight to make it harder, like it does with Theseus.
The bull will do 3 of those leaping axe strikes, always aiming for your current location, so just dash around until he's done his 3 reps. Go in for some hits, and avoid his regular axe swings. Keep an eye on Zagreus' body, as if you see that bullseye appear, Theseus is about to throw his spear at you. Either hide behind a pillar (usually a good strategy), or just time your dash to avoid it. It will change color right before he throws it, and there will be an audio cue as well, to indicate the spear is incoming NOW. Hiding behind a pillar usually works, though it can sometimes be a risk if the spear throw times up with one of Astereus' leaping sessions. I preferred just dodging, as you can also do that while dealing with Astereus, but that does take practice to get down the timing.

2. Once you get the bull down to...I think it's 25-30% (maybe 50%? it's been a while since I played Hades so the %'s are fuzzy), he will toss up a shield and ignore all damage. So either use any big attacks, like a god Call ability, early in the fight with him, or just save them until AFTER he's popped his pally bubble. I personally suggest saving the big punch ability for Theseus after he hits 50%.

3. Theseus fight. Ok so, he's only really weak from behind, and he's pretty good at making sure to face you a lot. The one time he always turns his back to you, is after a spear throw, in phase 1 (when he's 50%+health). So just sort of avoid him until he's getting ready to throw his spear, and position yourself so you can both avoid the attack, but also rush in quickly after the spear, to get some hits in. Because he will turn and walk away from the direction he threw the spear for a few seconds. This is your primary damage time for him. Dash into position, gets some burst damage in, and dash away. He often follows up the walking off with an AOE spear twirl around him, so you don't want to be there for that. Just wash, rinse repeat. If you are built for a lot of dashing, and close combat (like with my personal favorite the punch gloves), you can potentially do the fight just dash around him near constantly, getting back punches in close range, and dash out when he does the twirl attack. It's high risk though, as if you don't have good defense or timing, you are right up in his face, and open for damage. Otherwise, just hang back, wait for that spear throw opening, and get your damage in until 50%

4. Save your big hit for Theseus. As stated above, Theseus will make the fight MUCH harder once you get him to 50% health. He will pop a quick pally bubble, call down a random god to help (it's always one you DON'T have, so keep that in mind), and then you have lots of AOE to deal with. It's widely considered (and I agree) to save your own Call power for this point, as it's not TOO hard to get him down to 50% with regular strategy above. Once he hits 50% though, things are not as fun, and your risk of damage is much higher. So, wait until after he's done his Call attack, so that his pally bubble is gone, and follow it immediately with your own to try and burn him down quickly. The less time you spend with Theseus at less than 50%, the better. Depending on your build, and how strong your Call is, you could potentially one shot him at that point. If it doesn't kill him, it will seriously wound him, and then just continue the pattern of step 3 above. If I recall correctly, he will add in a spear lunging dash into his mix, but will still have a short opening behind his back to do some damage.

One thing about when Theseus does his Call, is for the several seconds of activation of it, he just stands there with his spear up to the sky, and shield down. He's completely vulnerable from every angle (as I recall). So if you have some type of attack that you can either fire and forget and it effects an area while you run around, or a powerful, quick strike ability (like a strong bow shot or something), this is a nice time to get some extra damage in on him. The problem is that this is when the various circles of godly damage will be showing up, so you might not have a good opening, but it's a possible time for some free hits, so keep it in mind if the moment presents itself. And to clarify, as I re-read this and felt it was unclear. He pops the bubble BEFORE he calls down the god. Once he's standing there, calling their name, and just standing still with his spear to the sky, he is no longer invincible and can be hit. So be careful not to use your Call ability too soon at this point, or you might have it absorbed by his bubble.

That's mostly it really, for how to deal with T&B, in my opinion. That's what I did almost every fight, regardless of build,boons,difficulty, and it's pretty much worked every time. I'm not claiming to be some Hades expert, far from it, but that fight, I know that fight pretty well.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The boy came to hang while his girl friend worked yesterday. Had some Pho soup. He helped me set up my new Denon receiver and then we played Madden 2020. He creamed me. But it was really fun and sounded great on the new system. We were playing on the original Xbox One so the graphics could have been better. Makes me want to practice a bunch with this game and get functional enough at it to be a challenge for him.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Nioh 2.

I decided to give it a try despite my hate of Souls combat, because I like samurai/ninja stuff for the most part. What I forgot was this was Team Ninja meets Asura's Wrath kind of samurai/ninja stuff, which is....less appealing to me.

It didn't help my starting enjoyment by finding out that the combat style I wanted to try, magic, was basically locked out from starting builds entirely, unless you get lucky and find enough of the amulets to build your attunement and get a skill point, which early on, is very tricky without just buying them from the rice bowl kids. So that was a waste of starting points on my first run....joy. Finally just restarted and went with Ninjitsu as that's way easier to build up early with just a handful of throwables, and the chain whip weapon. Got lucky with some early magic scrolls, and was able to unlock the magic early on, but I'm mostly built for ninjitsu at this point.

I hate that I can't fucking jump. Seriously game, no jump? Bite me. I'm literally a fucking demonic ninja, and you show me leaping around like Naruto in cut scenes, but when I'M playing, I'm stuck to the ground like I've got lead shoes. So I have to run around these dumb fucking paths to get to where I'm trying to go, instead of trying to go the way I want. I mean I can't even literally step up off of a boat edge onto a dock, because the dock is too high, despite it's design clearly being one where you would do exactly that. Because you know....it's a boat dock!

Stealth is a joke in this game, it's entirely built around gear. I can appreciate gear making stealth BETTER, sure, that's fine and expected in games. But, not having any ability to sneak? And having the enemies just magically whip around and attack me? Annoying.

I also can't stand the way this game does the "magnetically turn mid-swing to always hit you" thing with the yokai. Sorry but you were already swinging down buddy, you don't get to just magically rotate while still swinging in the same way, and hit me.

I also find the "story" fairly lame. Everyone is just sooo aloof and disdainful. *scoff noise* "I'm only here to kill yokai, I'm too cool for you monkey boy." *yokai being mocked just sits there silently, equally too cool for this conversation.* I'm running around doing shit, for no real reason that makes any fucking sense. So, it's mainly just about the challenges of smashing my head against these enemies until I eventually beat them, after getting annoyed with the entire mechanics of it and logging off for the night.

Not sure if I'll keep playing, as I keep feeling like "Eventually I'll get some gear or something that makes this fun." But it seems like I'd have to basically beat the fucking game, to get gear good enough to play the game I want to (stealthy assassin style, which seems to be doable from some YT vids I saw, but it's all built around end tier stuff).

So, yeah, it's....a game...I'm playing it. Can't say I'm enjoying it. The masochistic nature of Souls games and their ilk are not something I find enjoyable. I need a good story to keep me going through a game that has frustrating mechanics, and this one has no such thing so.....we'll see.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Nioh 2.

I decided to give it a try despite my hate of Souls combat, because I like samurai/ninja stuff for the most part. What I forgot was this was Team Ninja meets Asura's Wrath kind of samurai/ninja stuff, which is....less appealing to me.

It didn't help my starting enjoyment by finding out that the combat style I wanted to try, magic, was basically locked out from starting builds entirely, unless you get lucky and find enough of the amulets to build your attunement and get a skill point, which early on, is very tricky without just buying them from the rice bowl kids. So that was a waste of starting points on my first run....joy. Finally just restarted and went with Ninjitsu as that's way easier to build up early with just a handful of throwables, and the chain whip weapon. Got lucky with some early magic scrolls, and was able to unlock the magic early on, but I'm mostly built for ninjitsu at this point.

I hate that I can't fucking jump. Seriously game, no jump? Bite me. I'm literally a fucking demonic ninja, and you show me leaping around like Naruto in cut scenes, but when I'M playing, I'm stuck to the ground like I've got lead shoes. So I have to run around these dumb fucking paths to get to where I'm trying to go, instead of trying to go the way I want. I mean I can't even literally step up off of a boat edge onto a dock, because the dock is too high, despite it's design clearly being one where you would do exactly that. Because you know....it's a boat dock!

Stealth is a joke in this game, it's entirely built around gear. I can appreciate gear making stealth BETTER, sure, that's fine and expected in games. But, not having any ability to sneak? And having the enemies just magically whip around and attack me? Annoying.

I also can't stand the way this game does the "magnetically turn mid-swing to always hit you" thing with the yokai. Sorry but you were already swinging down buddy, you don't get to just magically rotate while still swinging in the same way, and hit me.

I also find the "story" fairly lame. Everyone is just sooo aloof and disdainful. *scoff noise* "I'm only here to kill yokai, I'm too cool for you monkey boy." *yokai being mocked just sits there silently, equally too cool for this conversation.* I'm running around doing shit, for no real reason that makes any fucking sense. So, it's mainly just about the challenges of smashing my head against these enemies until I eventually beat them, after getting annoyed with the entire mechanics of it and logging off for the night.

Not sure if I'll keep playing, as I keep feeling like "Eventually I'll get some gear or something that makes this fun." But it seems like I'd have to basically beat the fucking game, to get gear good enough to play the game I want to (stealthy assassin style, which seems to be doable from some YT vids I saw, but it's all built around end tier stuff).

So, yeah, it's....a game...I'm playing it. Can't say I'm enjoying it. The masochistic nature of Souls games and their ilk are not something I find enjoyable. I need a good story to keep me going through a game that has frustrating mechanics, and this one has no such thing so.....we'll see.
I never even realized this...damn. Guess I’m definitely in no hurry to try it now. Hell even the new GoW at least had contextual jumping. That’s quite alright though, since I’ve got over a dozen other games in my backlog begging me to play them next.

Reactions: happyninja42

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm on Nioh 1 and yeah, the story really is lame. It's barely there in the first place: you're randomly imprisoned, randomly rescued by a random waifu spirit, who is then randomly kidnapped by some random baddie, and apparently for the protagonist that means immediately dropping everything and sailing for two years to Japan, where he immediately befriends everybody and does everything for everyone with no real connection to his own private quest except purely coincidental ones. That William has zero reaction to all the supernatural stuff going on (in contrast to the grounded reality of England, as far as we know) also dulls out the fantasy. Nothing is properly set up, nothing gets any context, and cutscenes play like casual, confused afterthoughts that might as well not be there.

The level design is boring and repetitive. Not just because everything looks the same, but also half the missions take place in repeat locations. Because everything is mission based, areas don't connect like the Souls games and everything feels very generic and not at all organic. Where every area in Souls tells a story and has a distinct personality, the levels in Nioh are nondescript and interchangeable. It also takes the fun from exploring.

The combat is convoluted with options and the stat management is equally complex. I imagine this appeals to micromanagement nuts. To me it feels like busywork, especially since I get by anyway just fine. I collect every weapon and armor enemies drop, even though I only ever use anything with a higher number than what I already have, and sell everything I get, although money is useless.

I enjoy the meat and potatoes of the combat, I guess, which is basic Dark Souls lock on, roll around and hit the enemy after a combo. The only real aggregate is getting your stamina back by timing a button press after attacking. The stances are fine but again, the middle of the road works fine against everything so long as you can read an attack pattern. I like the bosses too, though again who or what you fight at the end of the level is meaningless since no area feels like it really connects to a bigger world with an actual history.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I never even realized this...damn. Guess I’m definitely in no hurry to try it now. Hell even the new GoW at least had contextual jumping. That’s quite alright though, since I’ve got over a dozen other games in my backlog begging me to play them next.
Yeah the thing that annoys me most, is that several of the attacks CLEARLY have you leaping several feet UP, followed by several feet foward. Yet if I'm on a rooftop, and want to try and jump over to an adjacent rooftop, that is only 2 FEET away...I can't. I can't dash the distance. To be fair, I didn't try maybe using those attack actions with the distance included to maybe hack my way across? But I shouldn't fucking have to! I've got legs! and a fucking HOOK with a CHAIN

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Hope that helps.
Not that I don't appreciate the extremely detailed guide, you clearly put a lot of work into it and I'm sure it'll help, but I wasn't actually asking for help, just saying that I was having trouble with the fight. Also, you kinda spoiled the second half of the fight for me; I've never actually gotten that far. I'll just act surprised when Theseus gets down to half health, then.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned the difference between asking for help and saying I'm having difficulty back when I was playing Dark Souls, but that was almost a year ago now so I guess everyone forgot.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played some Samurai Warriors 4 last night. It's a nice pace breaker just slice and wail on thousands of mooks.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Not that I don't appreciate the extremely detailed guide, you clearly put a lot of work into it and I'm sure it'll help, but I wasn't actually asking for help, just saying that I was having trouble with the fight. Also, you kinda spoiled the second half of the fight for me; I've never actually gotten that far. I'll just act surprised when Theseus gets down to half health, then.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned the difference between asking for help and saying I'm having difficulty back when I was playing Dark Souls, but that was almost a year ago now so I guess everyone forgot.
I have to wonder why, if you didn't want help, you nonetheless read his entire guide.

Anyway, I can only imagine how surprised you'll be when you reach Odysseus' second form and he summons down Calypso who transforms half the room into a raging whirlpool before revealing that she's Zagreus' real mother.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I have to wonder why, if you didn't want help, you nonetheless read his entire guide.

Anyway, I can only imagine how surprised you'll be when you reach Odysseus' second form and he summons down Calypso who transforms half the room into a raging whirlpool before revealing that she's Zagreus' real mother.
I skimmed over it and caught the spoiler part. At that point, it didn't matter anymore.

Please don't be a jerk about it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

If you said it in a Souls comment, I didn't read it. You jokingly toss up comments from time to time about "hey to all you people who hate that we turned this thread into nothing but Souls comments, it now become something else!" despite the amount of posts being nowhere NEAR the souls portion, but that's primarily because of my posts. So, yeah, I didn't read it, even if you said it yesterday.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
If you said it in a Souls comment, I didn't read it. You jokingly toss up comments from time to time about "hey to all you people who hate that we turned this thread into nothing but Souls comments, it now become something else!" despite the amount of posts being nowhere NEAR the souls portion, but that's primarily because of my posts. So, yeah, I didn't read it, even if you said it yesterday.
I said it was while I was actually playing Dark Souls months ago in the post you quoted. And even though I didn't really want help, I'm not mad about that. It's the spoiler that gets me.

Look, it's whatever at this point. I'm sorry, I'll try to be more specific. Just... inline spoilers for stuff that's meant to be a surprise like the second phase of that fight. Next time, please.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I said it was while I was actually playing Dark Souls months ago in the post you quoted.

Look, it's whatever at this point. I'm sorry, I'll try to be more specific. Just... inline spoilers for stuff that's meant to be a surprise like the second phase of that fight. Next time, please.
I'll just not give you advice since you apparently don't want it.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I'll just not give you advice since you apparently don't want it.
If/when I want it, I'll directly ask for it, is what I said. You don't gotta be a jerk about it. And I'm aware I've been being a jerk about it, so I'm sorry for that. We cool?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I've started playing Spyro 1, from the Reignited Trilogy. It's the only Spyro game I have any real nostalgia for (as opposed to Crash, where I played all 3 back in the day), and, well, Iz gotz opinionz:

-Why are there so many loading screens? What, they imported those as well?

-So, I'm no doubt not the only person to point this out, but the story makes no sense. A documentary is being made on dragons, that's being aired live apparently (editing, what's that?), that Gnasty Gnorc is watching, and gets offended enough to encase every dragon in stone, despite the fact that they establish he was already planning something. So, what, he plans to do the thing, but being insulted gets him to do the thing ahead of time?

Even then, when Spyro frees the dragons, why are they leaving everything to this baby dragon? FFS, I'm rescuing Peacekeepr dragons (armed with weapons), and they're like "yeah, you keep doing the thing, Spyro." There's vague references to Spyro having a destiny or something, so maybe that'll pay off later, but...

Also, the dialogue is a clear case of "as you know," at times, for instance, Spyro has to be told about the dragonfly that's flying around with him, apparently never having noticed Sparx up to this point?

And I mean, okay, maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on story in a collectathon, but come on...

-Not too fond of the controls, and the first boss (Toasty) is a joke. The gameplay leading up to him is harder, because those damn dogs are vicious.

-On a positive note, I really love the aesthetic. Not just that, but how each dragon now has a distinct look, rather than just being different colour palettes. It's certainly more cartoony than the original, but I'd say it works.

Overall, had some fun, but some of the nostalgia is wearing off.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm on Nioh 1 and yeah, the story really is lame. It's barely there in the first place: you're randomly imprisoned, randomly rescued by a random waifu spirit, who is then randomly kidnapped by some random baddie, and apparently for the protagonist that means immediately dropping everything and sailing for two years to Japan, where he immediately befriends everybody and does everything for everyone with no real connection to his own private quest except purely coincidental ones. That William has zero reaction to all the supernatural stuff going on (in contrast to the grounded reality of England, as far as we know) also dulls out the fantasy. Nothing is properly set up, nothing gets any context, and cutscenes play like casual, confused afterthoughts that might as well not be there.

The level design is boring and repetitive. Not just because everything looks the same, but also half the missions take place in repeat locations. Because everything is mission based, areas don't connect like the Souls games and everything feels very generic and not at all organic. Where every area in Souls tells a story and has a distinct personality, the levels in Nioh are nondescript and interchangeable. It also takes the fun from exploring.

The combat is convoluted with options and the stat management is equally complex. I imagine this appeals to micromanagement nuts. To me it feels like busywork, especially since I get by anyway just fine. I collect every weapon and armor enemies drop, even though I only ever use anything with a higher number than what I already have, and sell everything I get, although money is useless.

I enjoy the meat and potatoes of the combat, I guess, which is basic Dark Souls lock on, roll around and hit the enemy after a combo. The only real aggregate is getting your stamina back by timing a button press after attacking. The stances are fine but again, the middle of the road works fine against everything so long as you can read an attack pattern. I like the bosses too, though again who or what you fight at the end of the level is meaningless since no area feels like it really connects to a bigger world with an actual history.
Yup.

There are tons of people who love Nioh. One of my friends got to like NG+5 in the first game and is currently playing the second.

I got bored about 2/3 of the way through and never finished it. Couldn't stand the inventory management, wasn't really liking the levels (and really didn't like the fact that my preferred gear would have required me to grind the level I disliked the most). It didn't feel like there was enough variety in the environment or enemy types. I found that I liked the combat and hated pretty much everything else.

I probably would have pushed through and finished it if the story felt at all worthwhile, but it isn't.

It's unfortunate because I really wanted to like the game. I probably put like 20 hours into it, and I think there's quite a bit that it does well. I really like being able to see enemy stamina for example, and I love that the enemies have the same stamina limitations that the player does. I really like the stances and the nuisances that they bring to your move-set. They even managed to make guns and bows feel worthwhile and control much better than the souls games.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've been playing Hypnospace Outlaw. It's great! It's nostalgic and funny and charming. Browsing virtual 90s myspace is endlessly entertaining, and all the bad campy sites really appeal to me.

Only problem is I stopped playing and started browsing the real internet and found I was wiggling my mouse back and forth trying to get pages to load faster. Edit: Frick, I keep doing it. It's getting kind of annoying!

Last edited: