What are you currently playing?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Welp, Nintendo just announced a new platform that I can play Earthbound on today, so guess who's got an excuse to play through Earthbound again?

That's correct: Everyone with a Nintendo Switch who's played Earthbound before. Including me.
Ready to farm for an item drop with a 0.78125% chance of appearing?

Reactions: Dalisclock

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Ready to farm for an item drop with a 0.78125% chance of appearing?
You don't need the Sword of Kings to beat the game, or even make it that much easier. I've only ever gone for SoK once, and I didn't get it by the time my party were level 80 and still hadn't finished the area.

So no, I will not be farming 1/128 items, and I will have a fantastic time not doing that. Just like when I played Final Fantasy 9 and didn't try to get all four steals from every single enemy and boss.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
About done with the side quests in Majora's Mask and working through Ikana Castle(and Stone Tower once that's complete). So on one hand, a lot of the side quests are interesting and some of them quite invovled. On other hand, Side quests are like 75% of the game, though in that case it's a good thing they're generally well done. The Anju and Kefre quest is very long and involved, though ultimately satisfying. The big flaw is you have to do it twice if you want all the rewards but at least the 2nd time you can just skip to the important bits.

I can't really fault the game. The time loop actually makes it viable to have a bunch of smaller quests and stories, though some of the side activities feel a bit much unless you're going for 100% completion. I've done most of the side stuff except for some of the mini-game like the swamp bow game and the "Complete the bomb game 3 days in a row" just because my reflexes aren't good enough to beat them and I don't think an extra heart is really gonna matter much this far into the game where I've had very little problem and almost never had to use healing potions.

At this point I'm about ready to finish up this and another game before Elden Ring drops because I'm starting to feel the urge to jump in at launch. If ER ends up having a really rough lauch(like buggy, beset with hackers, much worse then the other games) then I can always play something else but right now I'm pretty much cleaning up in prep for the next month or so after ER drop being the ER show.

Were you planning on the PC version? If I preorder it'll be for PS4, and then will just upgrade whenever I get a PS5. I've actually never finished a FROM game on PC (have only a few hours in DS: PTD, Remaster, DS3 and Sekiro each). The netcode issue kinda makes it easier to hold off on that version until there's a good sale.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Were you planning on the PC version? If I preorder it'll be for PS4, and then will just upgrade whenever I get a PS5. I've actually never finished a FROM game on PC (have only a few hours in DS: PTD, Remaster, DS3 and Sekiro each). The netcode issue kinda makes it easier to hold off on that version until there's a good sale.
I was planning on PC mostly because the PS4 has that stupid issue where you have to pay extra to actually pay online. I managed to get through almost all of Bloodborne Solo but I finally gave in at Lady Maria because I could not take her down without help. Otoh, It made the area with the bell ladies a bit more manageable because I didn't have to worry about griefers because.....I wasn't online. I just really dislike the whole having to pay a sub fee to Sony when I can play PC and get the online part for no extra cost(I am paying $60 or so, so I'm not sure why I have to pay extra for what's supposed to be a vital part of the game).

However, if they're still having serious problems with the netcode I'll either play offline or wait. I've played all the other FROM games(aside from BB) on PC and it's worked out well so far. Well, DS2 had a serious greifer problem but that seems to be a DS2 issue in general.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I was planning on PC mostly because the PS4 has that stupid issue where you have to pay extra to actually pay online. I managed to get through almost all of Bloodborne Solo but I finally gave in at Lady Maria because I could not take her down without help. Otoh, It made the area with the bell ladies a bit more manageable because I didn't have to worry about griefers because.....I wasn't online. I just really dislike the whole having to pay a sub fee to Sony when I can play PC and get the online part for no extra cost(I am paying $60 or so, so I'm not sure why I have to pay extra for what's supposed to be a vital part of the game).

However, if they're still having serious problems with the netcode I'll either play offline or wait. I've played all the other FROM games(aside from BB) on PC and it's worked out well so far. Well, DS2 had a serious greifer problem but that seems to be a DS2 issue in general.

At least it sounds like it'll be fixed, if not at launch then soon after -

I've had PS+ for over a decade and accumulated more monthly games than I'll ever play in my library. I'll wait for a 20-30% off sale to pick up another year so for me it's still way cheaper than something like Game Pass. If PC had less riff raff online and better native PS controller support, I'd be more inclined to play newer stuff on it. Maybe I should give the latest Xbox controller a try though for convenience, or at least for games that don't use much of the dpad.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
You don't need the Sword of Kings to beat the game, or even make it that much easier. I've only ever gone for SoK once, and I didn't get it by the time my party were level 80 and still hadn't finished the area.

So no, I will not be farming 1/128 items, and I will have a fantastic time not doing that. Just like when I played Final Fantasy 9 and didn't try to get all four steals from every single enemy and boss.
Oh you certainly don't need it. But it has this allure to it. The name, the rarity, the limited timeframe with which it can be acquired, the fact it's Poo's only weapon (unless you're a masochist).

My main reason for not getting it is that the it can lead to you getting overleveled and making things a bit too easy.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yeah, I did read that originally you were meant to be able to choose, and I think there was a mod somewhere that did the same.
But ultimately I liked it, it fit that Mr.House was this cold autocratic genius. While he valued your skill, you were just a tool to enact his will. He gave the orders and on some things he just couldn't be persuaded.
I couldn't do it. That was a powerful moment for me. I changed my allegiance to NCR...
only to find out I still had to wipe out the Brotherhood to progress for them.
In the end, I used Benny's plan, and took everything for myself. I didn't want to, but it was the only way to progress and live with my decisions. Story wise for me that fit right in, because after I made that choice I went and did Lonesome Road. That went really well with that choice in the canon I was forging.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So I've been "playing" Assassins Creed Odyssey. But it's more in the vein of something to do with my hands while I listen to podcasts, streams and records, because I already played it and I just want the satisfying cheap thrills of Ubisoft map clearing games.

What is interesting though is that I have to admit being sort of wrong about an opinion I had adamantly. I played the game before with a sort of "completionist" attitude, where I'd do story-based side quests as I came across them in each area, and completed location objectives when I could, so that I was leveling up along with the plot and never felt any level-gating or grind. Meanwhile one of the common criticisms was the level-gating and grind, and I just assumed people were trying to race through the story.
My opinion is that "I should be able to race through the main campaign" is kind of silly- why are you playing a big open world game if you don't want to do most of the game? And since I found myself over-leveled early on, I just figured it was people who did no side content.

But in this careless play-through, I'm skipping stuff I did before while also doing some side stuff I feel like, and yeah, I'm level-gated!
Since I don't mind some "level-gating" I was still shocked at some of the level jumps and when they occur. Sometimes it doesn't make sense narratively or even mechanically.

For example now I am at the last main mission of the "family" quest. But I decided I'd like to kill all the Cultists in that same branch first. The main quest matches my level, which also matches the Cultist branch quest. However, one of the targets is a way higher level! So that means it is "harder" and "grindier" to kill a subordinate of the enemy Cult then to kill their leader and eliminate the immediate major threat of that whole group to the Greek world. So stupid.

Even dumber earlier when you hit a major story point, you have the "option" of starting one of the other key quest lines by visiting someone else, or just continue with the regular one. But the latter is way higher quest level, so there's no "choice." You only get that "choice" like I did in earlier play-throughs when I did so much other side stuff first that I overleveled everything and it didn't matter anyway.

If I hadn't played this game before, was super-invested and not focusing more attention on listening to Yahtzee be bored by Dying Light 2 or whatever, I'd be really pissed off and I now understand some of the frustration others had in this regard.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I've been "playing" Assassins Creed Odyssey. But it's more in the vein of something to do with my hands while I listen to podcasts, streams and records, because I already played it and I just want the satisfying cheap thrills of Ubisoft map clearing games.

What is interesting though is that I have to admit being sort of wrong about an opinion I had adamantly. I played the game before with a sort of "completionist" attitude, where I'd do story-based side quests as I came across them in each area, and completed location objectives when I could, so that I was leveling up along with the plot and never felt any level-gating or grind. Meanwhile one of the common criticisms was the level-gating and grind, and I just assumed people were trying to race through the story.
My opinion is that "I should be able to race through the main campaign" is kind of silly- why are you playing a big open world game if you don't want to do most of the game? And since I found myself over-leveled early on, I just figured it was people who did no side content.

But in this careless play-through, I'm skipping stuff I did before while also doing some side stuff I feel like, and yeah, I'm level-gated!
Since I don't mind some "level-gating" I was still shocked at some of the level jumps and when they occur. Sometimes it doesn't make sense narratively or even mechanically.

For example now I am at the last main mission of the "family" quest. But I decided I'd like to kill all the Cultists in that same branch first. The main quest matches my level, which also matches the Cultist branch quest. However, one of the targets is a way higher level! So that means it is "harder" and "grindier" to kill a subordinate of the enemy Cult then to kill their leader and eliminate the immediate major threat of that whole group to the Greek world. So stupid.

Even dumber earlier when you hit a major story point, you have the "option" of starting one of the other key quest lines by visiting someone else, or just continue with the regular one. But the latter is way higher quest level, so there's no "choice." You only get that "choice" like I did in earlier play-throughs when I did so much other side stuff first that I overleveled everything and it didn't matter anyway.

If I hadn't played this game before, was super-invested and not focusing more attention on listening to Yahtzee be bored by Dying Light 2 or whatever, I'd be really pissed off and I now understand some of the frustration others had in this regard.
Yeah, that was kind of my issue. The family story isn't so bad but the Mythos(the 4 big monsters) and the cultists are really level gated so you need to be up there to really get them done. And the Cultist and mythos are also part of the story, though on a separate track. It becomes more egregious when you realize there's 2 DLC after this and both of them are 20-30 hours long each.

Honestly, I feel the game could have been cut down by like half and not lost anything of value. I stuck with it to the end mostly because I love the greek world portrayed but I don't feel like I could play it again.

I also found it a little bit annoying how everything scales with you on the low end so you never really feel like you're a living god, and once you reach level 50 none of that matters at all, both because everything tops at level 50 but the level scaling keeps even the early game mooks near your level.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I wished I played AS: Odyssey when 50 was the cap, now the cap is like 90 or something and you can't realistically reach it. I'd much rather hit cap and have nothing scale anymore because then collecting would make some sense, but when every piece you obtain is rendered worthless after 3-4 level its really hard to care about the looting aspect. I was almost 50 when I dropped the game (maybe half way trough since I did everything) and I'm pretty sure I would have kept going if I hit the cap.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I couldn't do it. That was a powerful moment for me. I changed my allegiance to NCR...
only to find out I still had to wipe out the Brotherhood to progress for them.
In the end, I used Benny's plan, and took everything for myself. I didn't want to, but it was the only way to progress and live with my decisions. Story wise for me that fit right in, because after I made that choice I went and did Lonesome Road. That went really well with that choice in the canon I was forging.
Me either. I just took over myself from that point. It was a shame, Mr House's speech about his plans to rebuild really hooked me in, but I couldn't betray them.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Oh you certainly don't need it. But it has this allure to it. The name, the rarity, the limited timeframe with which it can be acquired, the fact it's Poo's only weapon (unless you're a masochist).

My main reason for not getting it is that the it can lead to you getting overleveled and making things a bit too easy.
And you don't want to be overleveled because that can actually make the endgame harder, because the Magicant bonus only applies if Ness can still gain a level by the end of it, and grinding for the Sword of Kings can potentially leave him at level 99 too early.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Fallen Order's story is boring so far. The one time I buy a AAA game in almost two years and it's just so so. Dark Souls clone, but does all those things worse than Dark Souls. In FromSoftware's games, I can forgive the enemies respawning whenever you use a bonfire. But here, because Star Wars is so much more real, it just comes off as stupid.

Hate that they also stole the utterly stupid roll. Sure, you can side-step by only pressing Circle once, but it rarely gives you the distance you need.

The levels feel like discount Super Mario rather than structures that would really exist in Star Wars.

That cinematic stuff is so fake. I'll give a perfect example. There's a part where you take control of an AT-AT and later on in the sequence, you have to shoot down a big carrier craft. Yet, nothing happens if you don't use the secondary cannons on it. You can shoot ten thousand regular lasers at it. It will just drift above the battle forever, until you do decide to take it down. No urgency.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Hate that they also stole the utterly stupid roll. Sure, you can side-step by only pressing Circle once, but it rarely gives you the distance you need.
Are you playing on a base PS4? Apparently the quick evade is so useless in Fallen Order due to the huge amounts of input lag. The shit people on PC can pull off with it is crazy. Same with the parry.
The levels feel like discount Super Mario rather than structures that would really exist in Star Wars.
Do you mean every level in general or their stupid slip n slide sections? Because I hate those with a passion.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Are you playing on a base PS4? Apparently the quick evade is so useless in Fallen Order due to the huge amounts of input lag. The shit people on PC can pull off with it is crazy. Same with the parry.
No, PC. PS4 controller.

Do you mean every level in general or their stupid slip n slide sections? Because I hate those with a passion.
The stupid slide and wall run areas and the moving platforms that you have to force freeze but which have no conceivable reason for being there. Also, some of the rolling platform puzzles. All feels so toy-like for this photorealistic game. More offensive than Uncharted. Tomb Raider reboot levels of cognitive dissonance.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
No, PC. PS4 controller.
In that case, there's a skill that you can unlock that gives the quick evade basically all the i-frames in the world. Dunno how hard it is to pull off though, considering the weird timing all the enemies have in this game.
The stupid slide and wall run areas and the moving platforms that you have to force freeze but which have no conceivable reason for being there. Also, some of the rolling platform puzzles. All feels so toy-like for this photorealistic game. More offensive than Uncharted.
The wall running is indeed pretty useless. And half baked, it feels so clumsy. I could forgive the platforming sections if controlling Cal felt any good. The ball puzzles definitely feel silly. Such a sad and uninspired application for the Force.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finished Chasm. Started it a while back and took a break for about a month to play Nethack obsessively. It was alright. Not really what I was looking for at all, though, no procedural generation to speak of. Just random dungeon layout that doesn't even matter because the game doesn't have permadeath so you won't even notice unless you play again. The pixel art was pretty nice, the music was fine, the combat was fine. Overall it was an average kind of metroidvania. The back tracking was really annoying though. I'd get stuck every now and then without knowing where to go next and basically have to go all the way across the dungeon again trying to find the spot I can open up now with the new movement options I have. It's pretty bad because the fast travel is pretty lousy. Who the heck thinks that all the backtracking in metroidvanias is actually fun? It's really bad here, because all the enemies in the earlier areas you need to go back to can't even hurt you later in the game so there is no threat whatsoever. All the new moves suck too and don't really add anything to gameplay apart from the slide and the very weak double jump. This isn't Hollow Knight, where you'll be blasting through old areas at mach 3.

The game was generally a little too easy on normal, I didn't die once until the third area, and the only really tough one was the final area, but by then I had enough potions to just tank most of the damage. Bosses were mostly trivial, and I don't think I had to try any of them more than 3 times.

The story was kind basic, but it did the job. Unfortunately all the characters were 1 dimensional. Most of them have absolutely nothing to say and no personality. They went to the trouble to do some wider world building about you being a new knight from this castle sent on your first mission, but I don't know why because you only see the castle and the other knights at the start and at the end. It's a little ridiculous seeing the knight captain pinning a little medal on you for killing Cthulhu, like he's done anything a tenth as impressive.

Overall it was kind of mediocre, but it wasn't that long so I guess it was fine.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Fallen Order's story is boring so far. The one time I buy a AAA game in almost two years and it's just so so. Dark Souls clone, but does all those things worse than Dark Souls. In FromSoftware's games, I can forgive the enemies respawning whenever you use a bonfire. But here, because Star Wars is so much more real, it just comes off as stupid.

That cinematic stuff is so fake. I'll give a perfect example. There's a part where you take control of an AT-AT and later on in the sequence, you have to shoot down a big carrier craft. Yet, nothing happens if you don't use the secondary cannons on it. You can shoot ten thousand regular lasers at it. It will just drift above the battle forever, until you do decide to take it down. No urgency.

It's yet another shitty EA game; no surprise there. They may only be a publisher but that doesn't seem to matter with anything else they're tethered to. They'll probably fuck up the KOTOR remake too.

*edit* it looks like they won't be involved with that one at least.

Last edited: