Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Playing Evil Within 2 right now. After playing a hundred other games with this mechanic, I can't figure out what is supposed to be fun about using a slow crouch. The old Metal Gear Solid games let you run, which only was audible if you stepped on glass or something. That was the way to do stealth. Crouching doesn't even quiet one's footsteps anyway. It's tedious. It slows everything down so much. Thanks, Splinter Cell.
The crouch is a wierd game shorthand for sneaky, where "oh, that guy is crouched, I can barely see him now, even if he's only a foot shorter then he is when standing".

And then you can compound it with the guards being unable to see a dude crouching in waist-high grass.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The crouch is a wierd game shorthand for sneaky, where "oh, that guy is crouched, I can barely see him now, even if he's only a foot shorter then he is when standing".

And then you can compound it with the guards being unable to see a dude crouching in waist-high grass.
I know why they do it, but it's dumb, really dumb. It should be there to let you hide behind objects and get into low spaces, not to make you quiet. Pouncing them or rushing to the next piece of cover before they see me is more thrilling to me. It's boring being forced to move that slowly and seems like one of those things that's expected just because every other game does it, a checkbox mechanic. It's not even about balance; you can make the enemies less slow and dumb to average out your faster movement.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Playing Evil Within 2 right now. After playing a hundred other games with this mechanic, I can't figure out what is supposed to be fun about using a slow crouch. The old Metal Gear Solid games let you run, which only was audible if you stepped on glass or something. That was the way to do stealth. Crouching doesn't even quiet one's footsteps anyway. It's tedious. It slows everything down so much. Thanks, Splinter Cell.
The stealth is not the best in this game, nor the worst, but it is busted when you get the Ambush skill. Kill an enemy that is apporaching, you can kill them when behind cover. It trivializes most of the stealth with non-boss enemies. On Normal mode, anyway I usually go in guns blazing for most areas when on NG+. Nightmare mode and other harder difficulties are another story. Still loves this game and found it better Resident Evil game than 7. Evil Within 2 is my favorite horror game of this generation.

I don't think there is going to be a 3 with game not selling well (2017 was crowded during this time. Bethesda was dumb enough to release both games around the same time). The other one being Wolfestein II: The New Colossus.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Just finished Devil May Cry. With enough yellow gems to continue as much as you like the game is bearable, but still pretty meh. I don't understand why they thought the game needed to have first person swimming controls. They are some of the worst swimming controls I've ever seen in a game and never should have made it into the final release. Also terrible is that up and down for the flying controls against the final boss are inverted, so that section was unnecessarily difficult to control. All in all, I was pretty glad when I reached the credits and could stop playing.

One positive was that the game contained this scene:

I thought this was from Devil May Cry 2 for some reason so I was pleasantly surprised by its presence here. Just beautiful.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
as much as you like the game is bearable, but still pretty meh. I don't understand why they thought the game needed to have first person swimming controls. They are some of the worst swimming controls I've ever seen in a game and never should have made it into the final release. Also terrible is that up and down for the flying controls against the final boss are inverted, so that section was unnecessarily difficult to control.
That is the main flaw with almost any game directed by Hideki Kamiya is that he has these section that try to spice up variety and avoid repition, but they are usually not fun. The best shooter section he ever did was in the first Viewtfiul Joe, when the first half of stage 3 is a horizontal shoot'em up. I hate the first person underwater sections as well, but once you realize what to do and where to go, they are freaking quick. Believe it or not, the underwater section in Devil May Cry 2 are even shittier when playing Lucia's campaign. Those sections are in 3rd person too.

EDIT: I got Wonderful 101 (PS4) from Best Buy and already installed it. Will be playing later today.

All in all, I was pretty glad when I reached the credits and could stop playing.
Now go for Hard and DMD. Don't you want it?

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I don't think there is going to be a 3 with game not selling well (2017 was crowded during this time. Bethesda was dumb enough to release both games around the same time).
Both games? Did you leave out a sentence? What was the other game?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Made it to the Dragon Aerie in Dark Souls 2, so I think I've only got a few more areas and bosses left. It's been an interesting and frequently frustrating game, not as good as the first but not so bad it can just be written off. It's harder in a lot of ways, and not all of them are good; in fact, that appears to be the entire point of the game, even working its way into some of the game's themes. Though, that's just my stupid reading of it.

Haven't decided yet whether I want to fight Aldia or not. Since I don't have any Giant Souls yet, it's not a decision I'll be able to make any time soon, either.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Made it to the Dragon Aerie in Dark Souls 2, so I think I've only got a few more areas and bosses left. It's been an interesting and frequently frustrating game, not as good as the first but not so bad it can just be written off. It's harder in a lot of ways, and not all of them are good; in fact, that appears to be the entire point of the game, even working its way into some of the game's themes. Though, that's just my stupid reading of it.

Haven't decided yet whether I want to fight Aldia or not. Since I don't have any Giant Souls yet, it's not a decision I'll be able to make any time soon, either.
That was pretty much my take on it. It's not a bad game at all, but it makes a number of missteps that makes it far more frustrating then it needed to be and it felt like at times there was an undue emphasis on "MORE! HARDER!" which suggests the design team either didn't know what made the first one work or, very likely also true, the troubled dev cycle where the lead was replaced(unclear if he stepped down or was fired) halfway through and the game seemed to have been rebuild from the ground up (Time Travel was meant to have had a bigger role in the original version, thus likely explaining the intro cutscene).

The DLC are a lot higher in quality. They're still hard but it felt like they were a more satisfying type of difficulty.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
That was pretty much my take on it. It's not a bad game at all, but it makes a number of missteps that makes it far more frustrating then it needed to be and it felt like at times there was an undue emphasis on "MORE! HARDER!" which suggests the design team either didn't know what made the first one work or, very likely also true, the troubled dev cycle where the lead was replaced(unclear if he stepped down or was fired) halfway through and the game seemed to have been rebuild from the ground up (Time Travel was meant to have had a bigger role in the original version, thus likely explaining the intro cutscene).

The DLC are a lot higher in quality. They're still hard but it felt like they were a more satisfying type of difficulty.
Well, then, I guess I'll have something to look forward to next time, because I just finished it after a marathon session. Going to move on to Bloodborne next, and probably still keep playing Sekiro in the meantime.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I was always under the impression it was because Miyazaki was making Bloodborne and left DS2 to FROM’s B-team. He made the right choice though, imo.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I was always under the impression it was because Miyazaki was making Bloodborne and left DS2 to FROM’s B-team. He made the right choice though, imo.
I'm sure that had a lot to do with it, yeah. I've read Miyazaki was a bit more involved in the DLC which explains their higher quality.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm sure that had a lot to do with it, yeah. I've read Miyazaki was a bit more involved in the DLC which explains their higher quality.
Yup, he had more direct influence on things like level and boss design. They are some of the best pieces of content in the whole IP imo.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The amount that I've played before of Bloodborne is 'not a lot'. I managed to defeat the Cleric Beast and Gascoigne, and I took a little look around the Cathedral Ward, but that's about it. I do have story spoilers, but most of them aren't in context in terms of where or when they happen, and I know almost nothing about the game's weapons, items, or how all the enemies fight. Still, knowing that I have handled the game's opening before will make it a lot less nerve-wracking to go through it again, and once I get the ability to level up, that's when it starts getting a little bit easier.

Now I just have to decide which origin and weapons to take...

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The amount that I've played before of Bloodborne is 'not a lot'. I managed to defeat the Cleric Beast and Gascoigne, and I took a little look around the Cathedral Ward, but that's about it. I do have story spoilers, but most of them aren't in context in terms of where or when they happen, and I know almost nothing about the game's weapons, items, or how all the enemies fight. Still, knowing that I have handled the game's opening before will make it a lot less nerve-wracking to go through it again, and once I get the ability to level up, that's when it starts getting a little bit easier.

Now I just have to decide which origin and weapons to take...
Both the Axe and the Saw Cleaver work very well for early game. Most beasts(which is a majority of the bosses and enemies in early game) take more damage from Serrated weapons but the axe has the famous "Spin to win" attack in it's favor.

You can also find Saw Spear before fighting Father Gascoigne, if you want a Serrated weapon but also want the axe.

I picked the Saw Cleaver myself and used it for like 90% of the game with upgrades.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Both the Axe and the Saw Cleaver work very well for early game. Most beasts(which is a majority of the bosses and enemies in early game) take more damage from Serrated weapons but the axe has the famous "Spin to win" attack in it's favor.

You can also find Saw Spear before fighting Father Gascoigne, if you want a Serrated weapon but also want the axe.

I picked the Saw Cleaver myself and used it for like 90% of the game with upgrades.
One of my big disapointment of bloodborne is that starter weapon are really good and can be used the entire game no problem (the axe is one of the best weapon hand down). In a way that's kinda cool, but it also make the gameplay moe repetitive than it has to be and remove most of the wonder from getting new weapon, since you know they're almost certainly inferior to what you already have.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Wonderful 101 (PS4). I am still early in the game, but completed the prologue and first two mission. This game is tough, but fun. I've unlocked Wonder Eyes Blue (Sword guy that looks like Dante) and Green. I know Pink shows up in the next mission. This is basically the best unofficial Power Rangers game ever made and as close as we're going to get to a Viewtiful Joe 3. Anyone that want to get this, think Pikmin meets Super Sentai/Power Rangers.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
One of my big disapointment of bloodborne is that starter weapon are really good and can be used the entire game no problem (the axe is one of the best weapon hand down). In a way that's kinda cool, but it also make the gameplay moe repetitive than it has to be and remove most of the wonder from getting new weapon, since you know they're almost certainly inferior to what you already have.
There were a couple of situationally good weapons(the fucking lightning mace is nice for certain arcane bosses) but honestly for me that seems to be a Souls thing in general. I'll often find an optimum weapon early on and just keep upgrading it and my stats to match. I played most of Dark Souls using the Zweihander except when I got the Black Knight Halberd when that became my go to for the rest of it.

When people gush about Dark Souls 2 having a much better weapon variety, it doesn't mean much to me because of this.

So, anyway, as part of my long tradition of being chronically late to the party, I'm finally playing Red Dead Redemption (which I've only owned for at least 5 years at this point without so much as touching it). I haven't played a Rockstar game since GTA: San Andreas a LONG time ago, which in some ways is a good thing since I'm not comparing it to the GTA games.

Anyway, I think I'm done with the tutorial. Doing side quests around Armadillo, notably Bonnie and the Sheriffs, which I figured would be the main questline, but I've exhausted them and now have the snake oil guy left so....sure. The plot so far is okay, I just recently got to the part John explains about his past and what he's out there for, and I know about the Van Der Linde gang from RDR2(well, not that I've played that either, but it's hard not to know it's a prequel about Dutch's gang when John was younger).

I was kinda surprised that Bonnies missions involve a lot of actual Cowboy stuff, which is fitting, but normally Westerns focus on gunslingers and people call them Cowboys when the two are totally different things. I presume at some point the game will open up a bit more, presumably after I kill Bill at the fort at which point I'll probably move on from Armadillo.

Last edited: