What are you currently playing?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Was your relationship status not high enough? I got a much more positive outcome with him.
It was in neutral beforehand. But then I failed two Persuasion rolls during the conversation, leading him into flip-out madhouse territory unless I helped him sacrifice the others.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I started making my way through the RE4 remake, and it's a damn fine game. Pretty much all rough edges the original has have been ironed out, and what's left are just the good bits: the exquisite pacing, the satisfying gunplay and the high-intensity action. I started on Hardcore on account of having played the original just last year, but if I'm being honest it still doesn't feel like that much of a challenge. I'm still at the very start though, so that's probably bound to change. It looks great, runs smooth as butter, it's just great all around, and just goes to show what a phenomenal game changer the original was.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played a few chapters of Tekken 8 on Hard Mode to see the difference in difficulty and man does it show. The AI gets a health boost, they evade more often, and I swear there's input reading. I found the input reading on Normal difficulty with the last few boss fights on my first playthrough. I did Chapter 10 on Hard, and enemies are much more aggressive in the Tekken Force Warriors segment. They will straight gang up on you! I died a few times. Mainly on Raven's section and Shaeen's section. King and Steve are the most in this chapter. King more so; cuz his segment turns into Final Fight Haggar Wrestling Throwdown!

I did an Arcade Battle Run and got to Angel Jin again. I know the first time I got to him was with Law. Sot it's my second encounter with him. This time I used the good ol' Lively, Legendary Luchador, KING! It's hilarious doing wrestling moves on a silver winged angel. Especially when you do a jumping pile driver!

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Finally finished Phantom Liberty.

Dogtown? Fuck yeah.

The side quests? Fuck yeah.

The main plot? Ehhh.

CDPR clearly wanted to hike up the moral ambiguity of the game for PL. It's almost funny how every single gig or side quest has a "hard" decision that needs to be made. And yet, more or less, either choice results in the same outcome. Which was fine for these meaningless side quests, but for the main story... The choice you have is so morally ambiguous that I just cannot give a shit about either side. I don't care what happens to these characters, they're all awful people. Practically irredeemably so.

Overall a fun experience, but I was pretty bummed out by the ending. I sided with Songbird mainly because I thought Idris Elba's performance was just that boring and because I wanted to fuck over NUSA. It felt so silly siding with Songbird despite her fucking you over constantly. The devs noticed this too, since they give you dialogue that makes it clear you're only siding with her grudgingly, but they don't actually provide V with a reason for his actions.

Yeah, adding this one to the list of "games that would be better without branching narratives".

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I started on Hardcore on account of having played the original just last year, but if I'm being honest it still doesn't feel like that much of a challenge. I'm still at the very start though, so that's probably bound to change.
I'd say that regardless of what difficulty you're playing the game is at its most challenging/demanding at the very beginning.

There're some exceptions that I won't spoil because the game plays a lot with your expectations if you're an OG fan.

OP: Ultros released today and I'm having a blast figuring the fuck out of this game. On paper it's a metroidvania with roguelite elements - explore a cavelike labyrinth while gaining abilities, lose everything at intervals. Except you don't reset yourself on death but rather whenever you defeat a boss. You quickly gain back some stuff like your sword and certain abilities while the skill tree resets completely, unless you've locked down certain skills with collectible thingamajigs (which, fortunately, you can reassign at leisure).

The first boss is a fairly standard charging beastie; second was a decent duel. The combat and movement set is tight, responsive, perfectly satisfying. Game encourages style points by handing rarer drops if you mix your moves and don't get hit against an enemy. Drops all restore HP to some degree when consumed but their main point is to load you with different kinds of nutrients which you use to unlock skills. I like a quaint upgrade system that allows for some customization, like Xeodrifter. The mix and match, coupled with the ability to lock down some skills for keeps, doesn't make the reset frustrating at all (as you'd fear).

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Finally finished Phantom Liberty.

Dogtown? Fuck yeah.

The side quests? Fuck yeah.

The main plot? Ehhh.

CDPR clearly wanted to hike up the moral ambiguity of the game for PL. It's almost funny how every single gig or side quest has a "hard" decision that needs to be made. And yet, more or less, either choice results in the same outcome. Which was fine for these meaningless side quests, but for the main story... The choice you have is so morally ambiguous that I just cannot give a shit about either side. I don't care what happens to these characters, they're all awful people. Practically irredeemably so.

Overall a fun experience, but I was pretty bummed out by the ending. I sided with Songbird mainly because I thought Idris Elba's performance was just that boring and because I wanted to fuck over NUSA. It felt so silly siding with Songbird despite her fucking you over constantly. The devs noticed this too, since they give you dialogue that makes it clear you're only siding with her grudgingly, but they don't actually provide V with a reason for his actions.

Yeah, adding this one to the list of "games that would be better without branching narratives".

I put down Phantom Liberty an hour or so in. Im still in the cinematic point where you're helping the president and idk. I really don't care to be locked into this story. Im sure it opens up anytime now, but I ended up taking a break.

Instead Im playing Persona 3 Reload. I feel very lucky yo be experiencing this game for the first time. I imagine the remake value depreciates a bit if you've already played a game but its all brand new for me so Im a happy camper.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
OP: Ultros released today and I'm having a blast figuring the fuck out of this game. On paper it's a metroidvania with roguelite elements - explore a cavelike labyrinth while gaining abilities, lose everything at intervals. Except you don't reset yourself on death but rather whenever you defeat a boss. You quickly gain back some stuff like your sword and certain abilities while the skill tree resets completely, unless you've locked down certain skills with collectible thingamajigs (which, fortunately, you can reassign at leisure).

The first boss is a fairly standard charging beastie; second was a decent duel. The combat and movement set is tight, responsive, perfectly satisfying. Game encourages style points by handing rarer drops if you mix your moves and don't get hit against an enemy. Drops all restore HP to some degree when consumed but their main point is to load you with different kinds of nutrients which you use to unlock skills. I like a quaint upgrade system that allows for some customization, like Xeodrifter. The mix and match, coupled with the ability to lock down some skills for keeps, doesn't make the reset frustrating at all (as you'd fear).
Heck yeah.
I'm deciding between this and Lysfanga as my next game, both of which released today.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Finished Batman Telltale The Enemy Within.

Well. At least I didn't get the Auschwitz ending I got with Become Human: Detroit but still felt like I couldn't do anything to have a happy ending. Glad I played it though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I picked up the Tomb Raider remaster of the first three classic games, because hey it's Tomb Raider; a blast from the past, I haven't played these games in years, and before the series got all cinematic and lame, and -oh wow this is why we don't play these games anymore.

It has a modern control option, and me being stupid figured modern controls meant modern camera as well. Nope.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Banishers: Ghosts of new Eden.
Tbh hadn't seen any promotion simply assumed from glimpsing the cover n name alone it may have been some variety of hackneyed Uncharted knock-off.

After noticing it was made by Don't Nod and may be a real videogame however, out went assumption and in came slightly revised assumption with fresh haircut and dapper custom-tailored socks. Budget haircut and dapper custom-tailored socks, mind you, this is a AA shindig with AA pricing.

Intro before the title drop explainis the surprisingly literal title, where had kinda just blanked it almost instantly due to reading like yet more rando coolish conflicty sounding words many a game title before indulged in. So was a disarming "ohhhhh, you weren't bullshitting huh?!" moment once the drop gently nudged my dismissive, forgetful tendencies.

Completed first case solution/choice so far, gotta say the writing and voice acting is going real hard here - we got all the British dialects flexing their charms - the 2 protag lovers: one with perhaps the most soothing of stern voices could listen to every night before sleep and omg finally a Scottish non-caricature, softly spoken protagonist! (Don't Nod will never know or care how much that means to me). The other characters are performed believably too, to the point the "moral choice" moment at the end of the first proper case seriously was a tough one cause I got so emotionally invested in struggles and desires of even comparatively brief characters, though it did take till just before that moment to become properly hooked into what the situation was.

Combat may be somewhat less appealing for some though, as of speaking with a tad creaky and confusing lock-on behaviour that isn't outside the realm of patch fixes. Not necessarily bad to play,, but for now I'd say it isn't the main draw of this game just like the motion capture (or lack of). Skill trees likely unlock the more fun options.

In all, is a bit like a budget Witcher ghost investigation story with unique approach to narratively-entwined moral choice system where it feels like it makes more sense and actually matters, along with some culmination of familiar combat approaches yet to find its footing in the early game. Superb voice acting, pleasantly surprised to care about game characters and story. Worth a gander for that alone.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Banishers: Ghosts of new Eden.
Tbh hadn't seen any promotion simply assumed from glimpsing the cover n name alone it may have been some variety of hackneyed Uncharted knock-off.

After noticing it was made by Don't Nod and may be a real videogame however, out went assumption and in came slightly revised assumption with fresh haircut and dapper custom-tailored socks. Budget haircut and dapper custom-tailored socks, mind you, this is a AA shindig with AA pricing.

Intro before the title drop explainis the surprisingly literal title, where had kinda just blanked it almost instantly due to reading like yet more rando coolish conflicty sounding words many a game title before indulged in. So was a disarming "ohhhhh, you weren't bullshitting huh?!" moment once the drop gently nudged my dismissive, forgetful tendencies.

Completed first case solution/choice so far, gotta say the writing and voice acting is going real hard here - we got all the British dialects flexing their charms - the 2 protag lovers: one with perhaps the most soothing of stern voices could listen to every night before sleep and omg finally a Scottish non-caricature, softly spoken protagonist! (Don't Nod will never know or care how much that means to me). The other characters are performed believably too, to the point the "moral choice" moment at the end of the first proper case seriously was a tough one cause I got so emotionally invested in struggles and desires of even comparatively brief characters, though it did take till just before that moment to become properly hooked into what the situation was.

Combat may be somewhat less appealing for some though, as of speaking with a tad creaky and confusing lock-on behaviour that isn't outside the realm of patch fixes. Not necessarily bad to play,, but for now I'd say it isn't the main draw of this game just like the motion capture (or lack of). Skill trees likely unlock the more fun options.

In all, is a bit like a budget Witcher ghost investigation story with unique approach to narratively-entwined moral choice system where it feels like it makes more sense and actually matters, along with some culmination of familiar combat approaches yet to find its footing in the early game. Superb voice acting, pleasantly surprised to care about game characters and story. Worth a gander for that alone.
Here's a the review I watched for this game:

Basically he compares it to one of their previous games Vampyr which had shitty combat and excellent story and characters and mood. Since I agreed with his take on Vampyr I figured I'd agree with his take on this one and the footage looked like it would be the case.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must

Basically he compares it to one of their previous games Vampyr which had shitty combat and excellent story and characters and mood. Since I agreed with his take on Vampyr I figured I'd agree with his take on this one and the footage looked like it would be the case.
Was thinking of Vampyr at times while playing for sure. Though I think a few ppl tend to love getting a bit hyperbolic when describing these type of videogame combats: while noticeably flawed, I certainly wouldn't call it shit. It's more like a halfway compromise between soulsborne and simple, is manageable avenue for practicing stamina-based combat outside the daunting entry points of dark souls for anyone who hasn't got on well with DS yet still curious about it all, IMO. If it was as shit as they say I would've dropped it quick (it don't take much I assure you, lol). But then again, I've no idea what standards most these people are working from when they communicate their criticisms. Vampyr, I mean, this new game doesn't have stamina, is more a dodge/bumper attacks/bonfire rests/ghost-double-character-switch-up-moves-jobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Its funny calling them a AA publisher when 2022-2023 saw AAA publishers put out so much empty bug ridden trash. Like UBisoft can say they spent 500mil or whatever on FarCry 6, but it looks like an indie steam asset flip.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I've arrived at the castle in the RE-4-make, and it's given me a similarly surprising feeling like playing the original did. It feels almost strange to play a game that doesn't feel like it's trying to get me into a mental loop and keep me playing it for 6 hours straight. Almost every game I've played in the last year has been like that: Dragon Age Origins, Cyberpunk 2077, Total Warhammer, Slay the Spire, Batman Arkham Knight, Baldur's Gate 3 and so on. It's downright liberating to feel you can just put down a game and come back to it later. It's like watching episodic TV in a good way: each section has its own special bit, and once it's over it's over. You get a bit of riding on a boat, a bit of horde defense, a small escape sequence. They're not tutorials for whole new gameplay mechanics, they're just one-off bits. And I feel like that's kind of missing from the kind of modern games I play.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You get a bit of riding on a boat, a bit of horde defense, a small escape sequence. They're not tutorials for whole new gameplay mechanics, they're just one-off bits. And I feel like that's kind of missing from the kind of modern games I play.
Ironic, because the production trouble OG RE4 had, Shinji and his team were mostly throwing in anything that worked desperately and were luckily able to pull it off.

And I feel like that's kind of missing from the kind of modern games I play.
You've been looking in the wrong places. Plenty of indie and AA games got that covered. Besides, even back in the day, not every game could do a genre roulette or one off sections well.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I've arrived at the castle in the RE-4-make, and it's given me a similarly surprising feeling like playing the original did. It feels almost strange to play a game that doesn't feel like it's trying to get me into a mental loop and keep me playing it for 6 hours straight. Almost every game I've played in the last year has been like that: Dragon Age Origins, Cyberpunk 2077, Total Warhammer, Slay the Spire, Batman Arkham Knight, Baldur's Gate 3 and so on. It's downright liberating to feel you can just put down a game and come back to it later. It's like watching episodic TV in a good way: each section has its own special bit, and once it's over it's over. You get a bit of riding on a boat, a bit of horde defense, a small escape sequence. They're not tutorials for whole new gameplay mechanics, they're just one-off bits. And I feel like that's kind of missing from the kind of modern games I play.
Ill back you up on that. Capcom seems to like doing episodic narratives. RE5 was literally Chapters. That is kind of a pleasant feeling like the game is telling you to go stretch and order a pizza.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ill back you up on that. Capcom seems to like doing episodic narratives. RE5 was literally Chapters. That is kind of a pleasant feeling like the game is telling you to go stretch and order a pizza.
That's one of the things that I've always loved about Resident Evil 4, the whole game is made up of fun set-pieces with distinctive settings, enemy/territory layouts and gameplay conceits. Whenever you reach a save point you're at the end of a micro adventure and on the threshold of starting another. You can feed the addictive "just one more go" loop or call it a night and feel satisfied, either works like a charm.

This should be a no-brainer for any game that parses its story in chapters but few pull it off as well as RE4.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Seeing all the love for REm4ke is making me want to play it again, but I'm committed to clearing the Golden Age of Call of Duty at this point. Think I've got one long or two short sessions left in Black Ops before Modern Warfare 3's up next.

Because the whole CoD series went on Steam Sale at once just this week, the friend who got me interested in this marathon sent me the Warchest, containing the first three games by Infinity Ward: Call of Duty, United Offensive, and CoD2. Out of those the only one that really interests me is 2, so I might add that to the end of the list after BlOps 2 before I move on to something else.

Reactions: gorfias

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Turned out it was one session and Black Ops is finished. Honestly, the way it uses cuts during missions instead of being continuous from one end to the next makes it feel kinda... disconnected. I know that's sort of the point during Mason's interrogations, but especially in the final mission it just takes a lot out of it. I didn't absolutely hate it, but I'd say it's the weakest of the Call of Duty games I've played so far, including the ones I played before not as part of this marathon.

Next on the list is the MW3 replay. I remember not hating it the last time I played it, but I was a lot younger then, and also a lot less keyed into the Call of Duty franchise, or most things really. Been having a pretty good time with Hardened difficulty so far so I'll probably just keep that up.