What are you currently playing?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Beat Robocop: Rogue City and Eschatos.

Robocop was pretty awesome. It really feels like an older style fps game, like one from the 2000s. Story is good but disjointed, like they didn't have enough time to have all the missions they wanted. The game feels kinda loose, like it feels good, but nothing feels great and aiming can be weird at times. If it didn't have the IP then it would just be a decent fps game, but the police investigation elements and the fact that you're robocop really make it something cool.

Eschatos, it took me a bit, its just a really really good feeling shootemup. The areas you end up in area really cool, bullet patterns are fun, shooting feels great. If you like shootemups, get it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is great and all but the risk-reward loop is way off kilter. The back half of the game is rife with optional challenge rooms and Celeste-like gauntlets that are fun to figure out and pull through, but when the reward is a pathetic palette swap or 20 moneys you walk away with a sense of empty victory.

There's a room that is essentially that one hallway from the first Resident Evil movie but with meat grinders instead of laser grids and you have to navigate a series of physically unavoidable waves of death by 1) hopping back and forth between dimensions while 2) setting down teleporter spots several waves ahead of using them, and your reward is to dye the color of Sargon's sash.

Then there're tons of side challenges where you have to brave a series of rooms while carefully resetting your jumps and dashes and never touching the ground and utilizing clones of yourself (jump, set a teleporter, dash, activate death trap, teleport back, safely land on the trap you previously activated so you can use as a platform, repeat) and your reward will be a measly 20, 40, 60 moneys. Not that money is that rare or that useful or you couldn't farm the dude next to the main hub for 15 moneys each time if you felt like it.

I'm all about "gameplay is its own reward" but the disparity between certain challenges and what you get for completing them starts to feel like a middle finger in the second half of the game.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Started playin the Mad Max video game. It does that annoying thing where the "sprint" button puts you in a running animation but doesn't particularly make you feel faster.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is great and all but the risk-reward loop is way off kilter. The back half of the game is rife with optional challenge rooms and Celeste-like gauntlets that are fun to figure out and pull through, but when the reward is a pathetic palette swap or 20 moneys you walk away with a sense of empty victory.

There's a room that is essentially that one hallway from the first Resident Evil movie but with meat grinders instead of laser grids and you have to navigate a series of physically unavoidable waves of death by 1) hopping back and forth between dimensions while 2) setting down teleporter spots several waves ahead of using them, and your reward is to dye the color of Sargon's sash.

Then there're tons of side challenges where you have to brave a series of rooms while carefully resetting your jumps and dashes and never touching the ground and utilizing clones of yourself (jump, set a teleporter, dash, activate death trap, teleport back, safely land on the trap you previously activated so you can use as a platform, repeat) and your reward will be a measly 20, 40, 60 moneys. Not that money is that rare or that useful or you couldn't farm the dude next to the main hub for 15 moneys each time if you felt like it.

I'm all about "gameplay is its own reward" but the disparity between certain challenges and what you get for completing them starts to feel like a middle finger in the second half of the game.
Yeah and since I already struggle with platforming I gave up on trying to platinum the game.
There is this one ultra-super-hardest room- a side quest literally called "The Impossible Climb"- and you have to repeatedly jump on and off rising spiky things up and down and get three items all in one shot and it's.. well, impossible for me.

I mean the comparison to Celeste is apt in the sense that there are optional extra-hard platforming challenges with very little extrinsic reward (i.e. strawberries).

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I've been enjoying Final Fantasy 7: Ubisoft.

I'm sorry, I'm sure you're tired of me complaining about hypocrisy and inconsistency in video game discourse and the review cycle but Rebirth is the most Ubisoft-ass game I played since AC: Valhalla. It really does just feel like an anime version of that game- maps with icons, quest markers, HANDHOLDING, tons and tons and tons of activities that don't connect with the main quest thematically or in terms of gameplay, etc.

I'll get into more detail impressions in the dedicated thread after my eyes stop rolling from how powerful nostalgia is that it is now being invoked to excuse the oh-so-hated "Ubisoft model."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've been enjoying Final Fantasy 7: Ubisoft.

I'm sorry, I'm sure you're tired of me complaining about hypocrisy and inconsistency in video game discourse and the review cycle but Rebirth is the most Ubisoft-ass game I played since AC: Valhalla. It really does just feel like an anime version of that game- maps with icons, quest markers, HANDHOLDING, tons and tons and tons of activities that don't connect with the main quest thematically or in terms of gameplay, etc.

I'll get into more detail impressions in the dedicated thread after my eyes stop rolling from how powerful nostalgia is that it is now being invoked to excuse the oh-so-hated "Ubisoft model."
Why must you fill this house with lies?/s

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Started playin the Mad Max video game. It does that annoying thing where the "sprint" button puts you in a running animation but doesn't particularly make you feel faster.
If you're playing on PS and care about trophies at all, know it's impossible to Plat since the servers went down.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've been playing some Dragon's Dogma 2 and... it's just Dragon's Dogma again. Not more Dragon's Dogma, since that would imply somekind of expansion, no, it's just Dragon's Dogma AGAIN. Vocations, abilities, enemies, even the scenery is pretty much the same.

The first game was a diamond in the rough, but the sequel is just that same rough diamond with 12 years worth of dust on it.

Oh wait, there's microtrasactions now - Guess that's different.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I've been playing some Dragon's Dogma 2 and... it's just Dragon's Dogma again. Not more Dragon's Dogma, since that would imply somekind of expansion, no, it's just Dragon's Dogma AGAIN. Vocations, abilities, enemies, even the scenery is pretty much the same.

The first game was a diamond in the rough, but the sequel is just that same rough diamond with 12 years worth of dust on it.

Oh wait, there's microtrasactions now - Guess that's different.
Thanks, now I know I defo won't buy it. I tried Dragon's Dogma (nutz) on 2 different platforms, and on both it just felt so frustrating, with baffling design choices every two steps. It felt like one of those games that could have been great with lots of simple fixes. Like how about instead of making me scrounge the same pile of leaves or whatever 3 times to get everything, you just give me everything in one go?

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Okay, is FFXVI going to get any better? I just played it for a couple of hours, and hit the 5-year timeskip section of the story (about 10 hours in). And I'm seriously starting to wonder where all the rave reviews on release were coming from. This is neither a good RPG nor a good action game. It feels like a B-tier Devil May Cry ripoff from 2002. The question I had most on my mind when playing this recent bout was "why bother?" Why bother with these sidequests from a C-tier MMO that would have felt dated in 2009, when all the rewards are going to be total crap? Why bother with exploration for the same reason? Why bother with crafting when the game no less than 3 times now has just flat out handed me gear for free that's far better than anything else available?

As an action game it's shockingly shallow and repetitive. Where are the different moves and weapons? Where is any kind of combo system that rewards skill? Where are any kind of dynamic enemies that would offer interesting encounters? For an RPG it's also incredibly shallow, everything is so stripped down it feels pointless. Where are different damage types or status effects? Where are character builds, stats, fine tuning equipment? Learning new abilities? The effect of leveling whatsoever? Sure, you can say that some esoteric numbers are going up, but without being able to do anything about it and it seemingly having no effect on combat effectiveness it makes about as much difference as telling me the amount of hairs Clive has on his buttcrack. Not that it'd matter much, the game is so piss-easy even on its purportedly higher difficulty that it's just an exercise in boredom.

The combat is so hopelessly limited that no matter how bombastic the music or showy the spectacle, it cannot hide the fact that that every single combat plays out the exact same: mash the attack button while your special attacks reset, hit dodge if a tough enemy is about to do an attack. When an enemy staggers, spam all the special moves for maximum damage. Not even the fight against Typhon could offer anything more, besides maybe some different dodge patterns you need to adopt.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Okay, is FFXVI going to get any better? I just played it for a couple of hours, and hit the 5-year timeskip section of the story (about 10 hours in). And I'm seriously starting to wonder where all the rave reviews on release were coming from. This is neither a good RPG nor a good action game. It feels like a B-tier Devil May Cry ripoff from 2002. The question I had most on my mind when playing this recent bout was "why bother?" Why bother with these sidequests from a C-tier MMO that would have felt dated in 2009, when all the rewards are going to be total crap? Why bother with exploration for the same reason? Why bother with crafting when the game no less than 3 times now has just flat out handed me gear for free that's far better than anything else available?

As an action game it's shockingly shallow and repetitive. Where are the different moves and weapons? Where is any kind of combo system that rewards skill? Where are any kind of dynamic enemies that would offer interesting encounters? For an RPG it's also incredibly shallow, everything is so stripped down it feels pointless. Where are different damage types or status effects? Where are character builds, stats, fine tuning equipment? Learning new abilities? The effect of leveling whatsoever? Sure, you can say that some esoteric numbers are going up, but without being able to do anything about it and it seemingly having no effect on combat effectiveness it makes about as much difference as telling me the amount of hairs Clive has on his buttcrack. Not that it'd matter much, the game is so piss-easy even on its purportedly higher difficulty that it's just an exercise in boredom.

The combat is so hopelessly limited that no matter how bombastic the music or showy the spectacle, it cannot hide the fact that that every single combat plays out the exact same: mash the attack button while your special attacks reset, hit dodge if a tough enemy is about to do an attack. When an enemy staggers, spam all the special moves for maximum damage. Not even the fight against Typhon could offer anything more, besides maybe some different dodge patterns you need to adopt.
FF game (ans most high profile game) always get really high score, even when they're B tier at best, case in point:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I'm gonna help you out here: Hi-Fi Rush or Evil West? Pick whichever one, and you'll find either infinitely better than FFXVI. Especially Hi-Fi Rush.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluegate

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I'm gonna help you out here: Hi-Fi Rush or Evil West? Pick whichever one, and you'll fine either infinitely better than FFXVI. Especially Hi-Fi Rush.
Well I have been considering Lies of P after my recent bout with Elden Ring. Maybe I'll trade FFXVI in and try that instead.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Well I have been considering Lies of P after my recent bout with Elden Ring. Maybe I'll trade FFXVI in and try that instead.
FF16 isn't really getting much better from where you are now, in my opinion anyway.

You'll mainly be pushing forward to see the spectacle battles between Ifrit and the remaining Eikons. And maybe you'll get some joy out of using their abilities.

In terms of story
you'll just be busting mother crystals while the blight continues to spread until finally, big final boss.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If you get LoP, just remember to play more like Sekiro than Elden Ring or Bloodborne. Parrying is the key in that game. If grab LoP and finish whenever, don't sleep on those recommendations. You won't regret either of them.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
congrats u/Johnny Novgorod! You're a better man then me, who quit the plat but enjoyed the game.

Re: FF16, it actually reminds me of Assassin's Creed 3 a lot. Some great mechanics and ideas but a lot of it sort of half-baked and not really working together. Stories with great setups and really messed up pacing and confounding story decisions. Combat with high skill ceilings but no extrinsic motivation to execute on them. An interesting take on an established formula.

I enjoyed FF16 for the spectacle and the action of storming through areas and kicking ass- it was one of those things where I had a rainy weekend to myself and it was a fun way to waste it.

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I ended up not continuing and traded in FFXVI. When I saw a Youtube comment saying you defeat the last boss the same way as the first boss I knew it wasn't going to be for me. A friend of mine who really enjoyed it said he approached it more as an interactive movie. Which is fine if that's what you're into, but there are better ways of doing that than pretending to be a tissue-thin hack'n'slash RPG.

So I started and played through the prologue bit of Lies of P instead. I still think the title is pretty dumb, but that aside it's a damn impressive beginning, I'll give it that. The victorian era aesthetic is done extremely well, and the environments are reminiscient of the art deco of Bioshock, offering a distinct feel from the usual dilpidation and rundown state of Fromsoft's worlds. The combat's clicking nicely (though again, only the intro bit so far) and it's nice to feel that sense of uncertainty and danger the best Soulslikes do so well.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I ended up not continuing and traded in FFXVI. When I saw a Youtube comment saying you defeat the last boss the same way as the first boss I knew it wasn't going to be for me. A friend of mine who really enjoyed it said he approached it more as an interactive movie. Which is fine if that's what you're into, but there are better ways of doing that than pretending to be a tissue-thin hack'n'slash RPG.
I think the problem I have and reason I skipped XVI is that Square seems like they've long "lost the plot" pun intended, on final fantasy story telling. I'm all for an interactive movie game. Gimme an interactive Yakuza movie with minigames and QTE, but at least that would have a cohesive plot you can follow.