What are you currently playing?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
That's me in general. $20-$30 is usually my go to price. I gotten more and better experiences out of most games with that price than the standard $60-$70 most "large" AAA games go for today.
So right off the heels of this exchange I was doing some Playstation store scrolling while watching basketball last night and saw Monster Hunter: Rise on deep discount for 10 bucks.

I tried World once a while back and couldn't get into it at all but I love the idea of, well, you know, monster hunting, and I heard Rise is a bit more action-y than world so I bought it, since it falls under that price range of "it's ok if I don't get into it."

So I'll check that out later today, we'll see how that goes. I feel like Monster Hunter games are one of those gamer-niches that I should be able to get into if I wanted.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
More, since it comes right from your controller and you have to rock it back and forth to calm it down... or shake it violently to make it cry more.
Oh sheesh…kinda glad I passed on this one. If MGSV is the last Kojima game I ever play, I’ll be happy and satisfied even given the controversy surrounding its development and “finished” status.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yesterday I finished up Omori. While there are other games that take inspiration from Mother/Earthbound, imo this game approaches that vibe the most. It also takes a lot after Yume Nikki. It's surreal and whimsical, atmospheric and dreamlike, full of weird characters and wacky situations, and just a dash of psychological horror. While also tackling some dark and/or mature subject matter like death, grief, guilt, depression, anxiety and suicide.

It's a pretty good game, tho I do have some nitpicks. First is the battle system. It works on a rock-paper-scissors system of applying the emotions Happy, Sad and Anger. With each buffing some stats while debuffing others, and being strong against one emotion and weak against another. Happy beats Anger, which beats Sad, which beats Happy. And these can be applied to both your party and enemies, through abilities or when reaching certain stages in the battle. It's not a bad system, but for most regular battles there is not much reason to exploit weaknesses. Boss battles make better use of it, but tend to strongly favor one emotion, so you can mostly shred them by setting your party to the emotion strong against the boss', and even if they change theirs up, you can relatively easily force them back into the one your want in most fights.

Second is that it quite often does that thing where the game takes control away and then pans over to whatever it wants to show you. Wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for the panning speed, slowly panning over, and when it's done, just as slowly panning back. It got kind of really annoying towards the end.

And lastly is the ending. I got what is apparently the good ending, and I'd be lying if isn't heartfelt, but it is also kinda fucked up. So the game is basically all about the main character, Sunny, overcoming his fears so that you can finally move on from the suicide of your older sister Mari (or not, depending on your route), and also save another character, Basil, from committing suicide (or not, again depending on your route. But Mari didn't actually commit suicide. Sunny got into a heated argument with her and pushed her, which led to her falling down the stairs and dying. It was accidental, so, you know, bad but forgivable.

But here comes the messed up part. Basil saw wath Sunny did, and convinced him to make it look like a suicide, so they dragged Mari's corpse into the back yard and used a rope to hang her from a tree, so it looked like she hung herself. So while it is indeed about Sunny and Basil coming to terms with Mari's death, and forgiving themselves for what they did, and thus being able to move on, they are the only ones who do. Everyone else still believes Mari committed suicide. This includes Sunny's parents, who are strongly implied to have divorced over the grief from their daughter killing herself without any clue as to why.
Like, that's kinda fucked up, right?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Death Stranding. I'm in the second area. I really hate this baby. I wish it would shut up and stop crying and laughing or whatever. The rest of the game is still incomprehensible from the story to the gameplay choices.
Time for some roads, baby!

Tip; roads in areas already connected to the Chiral Network require less materials to complete.

Another tip; Mule Camps are great for resources.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Have a feeling "the shit is gonna hit the fan" so to speak in the next chapter.
I'm really curious how that will handle things compared to the anime that is based on it.

I'm playing and have been playing Eiyuden Chronicles, Its Suikoden, anyone who likes Suikoden will like it if they aren't stupid (a very stupid post on the steam forums makes me say that). I feel like I'm about 40% or so through the game and have really hit the main meat of the game experience. Its really impressive how they seem to have things for almost any of the 100 heroes to say at times. Like, in a mission, you will have people you have to have with you, but you can take any fighters and it seems like during the events of the mission, pretty much any of the ones you choose to accompany you can say things related to the mission. Its neat since its voice acted. Anyway, yeah, great game.

Also playing Angel at Dusk, which is an interesting Shootemup where you... I'mma just link the store page, its interesting and very weird.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I decided to plow right into Mafia 2 after finishing Mafia Definitive Edition. First off, I think my left ctrl key on my keyboard died so that's why i couldn't snap to cover anymore(remapping the keys fixed that) so that's not the games fault. My keyboard was probably due for replacement anyway at this point. Or I could just try the controller like a wierdo /jk.

That being said, Mafia 2 decides to jump a little further in time with a new character, Vito, in a different City, Empire Bay. The basic plot is that Vito was born in Sicily in the mid 1920's but his family immigrates to the US when he's a child, only to live in a shitty apartment and his dad working a shitty job before spending most of his paycheck on booze. Vito gets invovled with a youth named Joe, who gets him into petty crimes to help make ends meet, but Vito get caught during a robbery in 1943. The judge tells him he can go to Jail or join the Army(with WW2 raging) so he joins the army and gets shipped to Sicily due to his Italian skills. The Tutorial mission is Vito attacking a Sicilian town as part of the 3rd army which introduces the player to the combat mechanics and gets the game off to a quick start. It's clear really quick that Vito is a lot easier to handle in combat then Tommy was in Mafia: Definitive edition. Though this also means instead of a health bar Vito has regenerating health, so CoD was clearly an influence here.

After the intro mission in Sicily, Vito mentions he was wounded and returns to the states in 1945, where he meets up with Joe and his family again. His father is dead and apparently took out a $2000 loan(this apparently would be akin to a $35,000 loan today) that needs to be paid back ASAP so Vito realizes he needs to earn some money and honest work isn't going to cut it, which is where Joe comes in because he "knows a guy" who can hook him up with some high paying gigs. And being the game is called "Mafia 2" I can only guess it will involve organized crime in some way.

So yeah, so far a pretty good start for a crime game in about 30 minutes of playtime

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did another run of SFA2G, as Guy this time. I managed to get 1,004,200 pts. Fighting the boss AI sucks in these old arcade games! Input reading mother-fuckers!

So I decided to plow right into Mafia 2 after finishing Mafia Definitive Edition. First off, I think my left ctrl key on my keyboard died so that's why i couldn't snap to cover anymore(remapping the keys fixed that) so that's not the games fault. My keyboard was probably due for replacement anyway at this point. Or I could just try the controller like a wierdo /jk.

That being said, Mafia 2 decides to jump a little further in time with a new character, Vito, in a different City, Empire Bay. The basic plot is that Vito was born in Sicily in the mid 1920's but his family immigrates to the US when he's a child, only to live in a shitty apartment and his dad working a shitty job before spending most of his paycheck on booze. Vito gets invovled with a youth named Joe, who gets him into petty crimes to help make ends meet, but Vito get caught during a robbery in 1943. The judge tells him he can go to Jail or join the Army(with WW2 raging) so he joins the army and gets shipped to Sicily due to his Italian skills. The Tutorial mission is Vito attacking a Sicilian town as part of the 3rd army which introduces the player to the combat mechanics and gets the game off to a quick start. It's clear really quick that Vito is a lot easier to handle in combat then Tommy was in Mafia: Definitive edition. Though this also means instead of a health bar Vito has regenerating health, so CoD was clearly an influence here.

After the intro mission in Sicily, Vito mentions he was wounded and returns to the states in 1945, where he meets up with Joe and his family again. His father is dead and apparently took out a $2000 loan(this apparently would be akin to a $35,000 loan today) that needs to be paid back ASAP so Vito realizes he needs to earn some money and honest work isn't going to cut it, which is where Joe comes in because he "knows a guy" who can hook him up with some high paying gigs.

So yeah, so far a pretty good start for a crime game in about 30 minutes of playtime
Enjoy; this was my big bro's favorite Mafia game before III.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I beat Alwa's Awakening and now I'm going at it again for the missing trophies (bunch of sequence breaks and an under 2 hour speedrun).

Overall I liked the game, I think it beats Minoria as an MV as well as Headlander and Deedlit, although it isn't as polished or quite as good a game as these last two.

Couple of things I didn't love about the game - the jumps get a little pixel perfect-y in the last dungeon. And in a few instances the game seems to want you to fail - and punish you for it - before you realize what you're really supposed to be doing. Conversely it's very satisfying when you find a way of creatively bypassing an obstacle course.

The other thing I kinda hate is that you get an item late in the game that reveals the invisible platforms you didn't know were there all along (and couldn't have used anyway) in a few rooms you discovered earlier that proved impossible to cross. And that kinda kills the joy of exploring a little bit. In a Metroidvania I want to look at a room and get a sense of what am I missing in order to reach an unreachable area. Here it basically boils down to a cheat code: an item that simply redesigns the room so you get across. It's lazy and especially frustrating if you dedicated any amount of time to trying to figure out how the hell you're supposed to get across with the abilities you have.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

After the intro mission in Sicily, Vito mentions he was wounded and returns to the states in 1945, where he meets up with Joe and his family again. His father is dead and apparently took out a $2000 loan(this apparently would be akin to a $35,000 loan today) that needs to be paid back ASAP so Vito realizes he needs to earn some money and honest work isn't going to cut it, which is where Joe comes in because he "knows a guy" who can hook him up with some high paying gigs. And being the game is called "Mafia 2" I can only guess it will involve organized crime in some way.

Yeah it was certainly influenced by the TPS stuff that blew up in 7th gen. I recall the driving was drastically improved (at least over the OG game…or hell probably even GTAIV in terms of playability vs “reeealizum”). I played on PC and the Nvidia destruction physics were marketed quite a bit at the time too, which I was kinda miffed about since I was an ATI boy then. Theres really not much “bad” I could say about the game; it was solid but maybe it played things a bit too safe and formulaic.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Refunded my Monster Hunter purchase because I remembered that these games benefit from online co-op and I'm not gonna subscribe to PS+ for that. And yes I know I can play solo but why start a game already being handicapped without a major feature? Nah, that's ok, it was a lark anyway. Playstation store refund policy is brutal but I still got it because I didn't download the game.

I been hankering for some AssCreed with the run-up to Red and the disappointment of Mirage and infact did a sort of inebriated speed run of AC2 a few weeks ago so I'll continue the Ezio trilogy. Ah, nostalgia.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Is that the actual RPG game or that side scroller?
There are 2 games. One is Hundred Heroes and one is Rising. Rising is a side scrolling action rpg game, but Hundred Heroes is a turn based rpg.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Sand Land. Tbh initially thought it was a VR title with a name like that. Not gonna waste anyone's time, is alright for vehicular combat RPG fuckabout funsies. Is like a... well no, not "like", is exactly Mad Max the (specifically) game and Dragon Quest smooshed into a smooshshake. Cutesie creatures and demons doing what they do best just with death cars and tanks instead. Beginning is a tad slow and couple of stealth sections are the shakier moments. Using subs not dubs is preferred. Am almost certain there was a cat merchant who flew off on a jetpack at one point after introducing themself, but sobriety level was low enough am doubting it ever happened at all.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah it was certainly influenced by the TPS stuff that blew up in 7th gen. I recall the driving was drastically improved (at least over the OG game…or hell probably even GTAIV in terms of playability vs “reeealizum”). I played on PC and the Nvidia destruction physics were marketed quite a bit at the time too, which I was kinda miffed about since I was an ATI boy then. Theres really not much “bad” I could say about the game; it was solid but maybe it played things a bit too safe and formulaic.
Yeah, Mafia 1, at least the definitive edition, had cars that are kinda tricky to drive and turning is especially "fun" at high speeds. I know there's also options for "Automatic" vs "Manual" transmission in the menu, with Manual being the realistic option since all cars at the time were stick shift(to my knowledge, maybe there was some really rare manual transmission cars that existed at the time). You don't get anything out of using the manual option except a feeling of realism though, because otherwise the game is just harder and there's no achievement or anything for using the manual transmission.

To be fair, there apparently weren't many in-car radios in the 1930's either but the cars in Mafia have them because otherwise you'd never get to hear the soundtrack they paid for, so it's an acceptable break from reality there.

And yeah, Mafia 2 feels a bit more like a standard Open world game then Mafia 1 did, where the open world was basically just there to support the missions then for any other reason. There wasn't anything to really do. Hell, there's no money in Definitive edition and nothing to buy. Money only exists in the narrative and all your needs are provided for you by the mob. Mafia 2 has money and shops being present as well as the debt you're meant to pay off.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha (The Japanese Arcade Version of Gold) - I played this on emulation just so I could play the Dramatic Battle Mode as Ryu and Ken. I picked Ryu and selected Ken as my CPU partner to recreate the final fight scene in SFII: The Animated movie as much as possible. I actually managed to beat the final boss, Shin Akuma, on my first try! I even managed to end the first round with an Alpha Counter, and in the second round, we double teamed him from both sides and finished with Level 3 Supers via SHORYUKEN! Mine was a custom combo though! Custom combos can break the game! Dramatic Battle is so much fun! Then I rewarded with the "Credits 3 Theme" that sounds "Rhythm of the Night". Coincidence? I think not!