What are you currently playing?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Still chipping away at Gears Tactics, and I can definitely understand the criticism.

The combat is very enjoyable, but the environment variety is lacking, the mission design is very "gamey", the lack of some kind of out-of-mission gameplay loop (similar to XCOM's bases) means the game lacks some depth/agency/progression, and forced side-missions are quite frustrating.

Still though, i'm very glad that this exists, and I really wish more franchises would lean into weird spin-offs like this.

Reactions: Worgen

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So, in the interest of second chances, I reinstalled Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. I got as far as a cave full of resurrecting skeletons and floating heads and got blasted by a fireball-casting corpse that I couldn't see, and I decided that I have better things to do and better games to play. Life's too short to waste it playing bad games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Life's too short to waste it playing bad games.
Shots fired!

You're going to upset the Souls fans! You don't wanna upset the Souls fan, do ya?!/sarcasm

I've been playing some more Serious Sam 2. I hate the zombie shot gunners. They take way too much health off you and many of the early arenas have them.

I did some more Streets of Rage 4 (Steam) on Survival Mode. I got to level 26 and got most of the unlocks. I am using a PS4 Hori Fight Pad.

Shank 2 as well. I forgot EA published this XBLA game.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So, in the interest of second chances, I reinstalled Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. I got as far as a cave full of resurrecting skeletons and floating heads and got blasted by a fireball-casting corpse that I couldn't see, and I decided that I have better things to do and better games to play. Life's too short to waste it playing bad games.
Isn't that pretty far in the game? Or did you go the wrong way at the start and go to the catacombs instead of the undead burg?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I think I'm pretty close to the end of Persona 5: Royale. The big bad's been defeated and the world's been saved so I should be pretty much done if there isn't an extra tacked on chapter for the Royale part. The time limit ended up being super tight on me, even more than Persona 4. I think in Persona 4 there was only 1 or 2 social links I didn't finish (including that fox that I didn't even find at all), but here I had 4 that were only about half way. Honestly, I was really surprised because I thought I was doing all right for time, and then it was all gone. It's weird because there's a ton of side content that I didn't even touch, like the maid cafe, fishing, darts, movies, etc. I have no idea when you're supposed to have time to do all that stuff, considering I always did palaces in as few days as possible and only went to mementos when I had 2-4 requests. I suppose I must have been a bit inefficient because I seemed to max out my social stats pretty early. It always kind of sucks not finishing the social links in these games because it's absolutely massive (135 hours and counting) so I definitely won't be replaying it any time soon to be a little more efficient and complete all the links.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Isn't that pretty far in the game? Or did you go the wrong way at the start and go to the catacombs instead of the undead burg?
I went down into the undead burg and got merked by ghosts I couldn't damage. (Well, not directly. I walked into the water because I couldn't tell how deep it was and I wanted to get around the ghosts I couldn't damage.)

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I went down into the undead burg and got merked by ghosts I couldn't damage. (Well, not directly. I walked into the water because I couldn't tell how deep it was and I wanted to get around the ghosts I couldn't damage.)
That's New Londo, still the wrong way. You need to go along the cliffs and up the stairs from Firelink Shrine. You'll find the enemies a lot easier in that direction. You shouldn't worry about either the Catacombs or New Londo until you've at least finished Undead Burg/Parish, The Depths, and Blight-town and rung the Bells of Awakening.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
That was the game’s way of saying, “Look for an easier way, skeleton!”

Reactions: NerfedFalcon
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
That's New Londo, still the wrong way. You need to go along the cliffs and up the stairs from Firelink Shrine. You'll find the enemies a lot easier in that direction. You shouldn't worry about either the Catacombs or New Londo until you've at least finished Undead Burg/Parish, The Depths, and Blight-town and rung the Bells of Awakening.
It’s kinda funny how the game basically redirects the player onto the intended path based on how easy or tough stuff is to kill.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It’s kinda funny how the game basically redirects the player onto the intended path based on how easy or tough stuff is to kill.
And it does work well, when I first played the game I ran into those skeletons and thought they were way too hard to kill and went looking elsewhere (also I didn't find the stairs to New Londo until I came up them from the bottom). However, I think the game's reputation for difficulty works against it here. People hear that Dark Souls is just a really hard game, and then they run into these skeletons right away and think that all the 'Git Gud' memes were justified and quit.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think I'm pretty close to the end of Persona 5: Royale. The big bad's been defeated and the world's been saved so I should be pretty much done if there isn't an extra tacked on chapter for the Royale part. The time limit ended up being super tight on me, even more than Persona 4. I think in Persona 4 there was only 1 or 2 social links I didn't finish (including that fox that I didn't even find at all), but here I had 4 that were only about half way. Honestly, I was really surprised because I thought I was doing all right for time, and then it was all gone. It's weird because there's a ton of side content that I didn't even touch, like the maid cafe, fishing, darts, movies, etc. I have no idea when you're supposed to have time to do all that stuff, considering I always did palaces in as few days as possible and only went to mementos when I had 2-4 requests. I suppose I must have been a bit inefficient because I seemed to max out my social stats pretty early. It always kind of sucks not finishing the social links in these games because it's absolutely massive (135 hours and counting) so I definitely won't be replaying it any time soon to be a little more efficient and complete all the links.
P5 vanilla has more than enough time to do everything, so much so that even without a guide you'll probably be able to do almost all of it (and what you'll miss is just because its hidden in really random way). But royale added a bunch of stuff so thats why your probably finding you don't have enough time.

Reactions: Drathnoxis
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
And it does work well, when I first played the game I ran into those skeletons and thought they were way too hard to kill and went looking elsewhere (also I didn't find the stairs to New Londo until I came up them from the bottom). However, I think the game's reputation for difficulty works against it here. People hear that Dark Souls is just a really hard game, and then they run into these skeletons right away and think that all the 'Git Gud' memes were justified and quit.
Yeah it’s an unfortunate side effect of all the media bs. They really aren’t all that difficult otherwise. Maybe 20% of a total playthrough at most has parts whether bosses or environments with random enemies that could be considered hard mode in other games.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
I appreciate the help, but I've already uninstalled again. I have better games to play, ones that aren't eager to waste my time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
This weekend i have been playing "Shadows of War"

So: Steam asked me a few weeks back: Hey, hey you... you want some Shadows of War (Price was like 2.99 or something)? I thought i already had bought it a few years back, but maybe i did pirate it? Wasn't sure. So i just bought it. When i looked it up, found that i already had in in my game-list.

There it was: Shadows of Mordor AND Shadows of War - weird - looks the same. Maybe it is some "Game of Year"- thing or something? Now after checking it: Shadows of War ist the sequel and my demented, terrible brain didn't make the connection.

The game: Well, it's fine, i guess. The pacing and storytelling is pretty bad. (The "Tutorial" or first act is like... quite some HOURS. AFTER that you get the pretty simple strategy part bolted on and get send to a new local map for again like five-six hours. AFTER THAT -The main Map opens up with three more levels. At this point i am pretty sure i have seen and done everything the game has to offer)

But mechanically it plays well. I am playing on hard, and i do die when i mess up my rhythm or movement (worst enemy in the game is "a random ordinary guy you forgot coming in from the side and murdering you") . The game has a nice sense of chaos and agency. It plays a bit into the absolute power fantasy. (I mean when i looked into my stats in the tutorial i already had a confirmed ~900 kills and oh boy can you flip out on those poor orcs.)

Some things are pretty bad: It does the "Ubisoft" thing: You get to some tower, look around, then walk to everything on the map and press "action". Not much diverse gameplay. It is all in the chaos and destruction. Batmanning around, see what traps and wild animals are around, then unleashing hell and murdering everyone. Sometimes dealing with ambushes yourself. It has some tonal weird schticks. (The Orks are sometimes really "English Soccer Hooligan-funny" while the humans and elves play the war drama straight)

Also: Game was a 139 GB download. for 2.99 that is quite the bandwidth cost for steam here. Also: It is relatively "new" and looks like a expensively made game; why so cheap?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gungrave GORE released a bunch of patches 2 years ago and last year that actually makes the game playable now. They removed almost all of the platforming sections or sections that knock you off/one hit kill you. And the game is on sale on PSN. I did delete my save file, but that was for the PS4 version. The PS5 version is on sale for $5.99 and it's better than trying to buy it physical. Retailers are charging it the like game came out just now or recently. I might buy this for the cheap price just to try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Man, I kind of wish I was playing Persona 5 instead of Royale. This was a mistake. At least with Persona 3, The Answer was a completely separate thing and you could just not play it (which I didn't, except for an hour or two) and safely ignore the stupid, but here the credits haven't even rolled yet. It sucks because the ending with killing the evil god was really very good and everything was wrapped up so well. This additional story is just making a mess all over the place. It feels stitched on and just out of place, like something out of a bad sitcom.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My girlfriend and I started playing Monster Hunter World.

The coop in this game is so fucking annoying, I absolutely hate the bonkers idea that you can't just play the same story mission at the same time, but when the game works, oh boy it works. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing yet with my dual blades, but so far button mashing has really worked.

At first I wasn't a fan of how the game asks you to constantly equip and unequip your weapons to use consumables, but it does add to the fun trying to desperately consume a potion while a monster is rushing towards your bumhole.

I also REALLY appreciate that they have PlayStation button mapping. Devs, I love you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played more GG Gore and the game is so much easier, but still challenging, and not impossible throw every hazard at you hard! This is the game they should have released in 2022! Better late than never, but Iggymob knew those ideas were not fun in the last game, and why would they be fun in this game. I do appreciate the option for the cel-shading filter, but it does clash with CG cut-scenes when they appear. The upgrade system is cool, though some upgrades get expensive real quick or at the start. I still do love the arcade nature of these games. I am never playing Overdose again though.

Apparently the Switch version of this game plays more like GG Overdose, but I am not paying $50 for that. The DLC for the bonus characters cost extra. Fuck you on that one Iggymob. I ain't touching your Ultimate Edition until you release it on other platforms with all of the bonus characters from the start.