What are you currently playing?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Still playing around with Gears: Tactics.

For whatever reason before jumping in, I decided to download a few recommended mods, which has made the game very tough, but not in an unenjoyable way. The primary mod here is one called Ukkon's Wrath with just about doubles the amount of enemies found in every mission. Whilst this obviously adds an extra challenge, it also gives more opportunities to generate some more action points through executions. What basically follows, is each encounter essentially functions as a complex combat puzzle, as you need to juggle each soldier's action points to generate as many bonus actions for your entire squad as possible in a given turn.

So far the plot does seem really simple, and I haven't come across any plot twists to spice things up. But as it stands, Im enjoying each mission as they come, and I haven't played/replayed enough of the same maps/modes yet for it to become tiresome.

Im excited to continue playing this one

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

ZZZ/Zenless Zone Zero sucks, TV puzzles that stop the tempo of the combat gameplay which needs more polish. I can't tell the S-rank, and A-rank characters apart.

HSR/Honkai Star Rail has massive power creep in the latest region/rooster of characters.

Genshin Impact is stale, slow-climbing, power creep with the Fontaine characters, and yapping Paimon.

All hail WW/Wuthering Waves which funny enough comes from a place I was born in. It fits my theory that you need a balance of male and female characters which CN/China does not agree with me on due to the fact they hate this game. The combat is good, as is the character design(They need more characters tho), and the world looks amazing. Just don't read the story.

That said I have spent too much time playing WW, HSR, and Genshin recently due to how behind I am. (You need to play every single day I kid you not)

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Tried and dropped Cyberpunk 2077 before I even got to meet Keanu Reeves.
I was hoping that the pretty visuals and the fact that it came from the same studio that made my favorite game of all time would help overcome my dislike of shooters and first person gameplay but unfortunately it could not. At least I allowed for this possibility by using trade-in credit to buy a physical copy I can sell.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Zenless Zone Zero is a lot better than I was expecting, even having enjoyed previous games by the same developer. The amount of tech to it even at a basic level is surprisingly high, since the combo system isn't all that lenient; it feels closer to Devil May Cry than to Genshin Impact. Honestly, this is only a good thing: as much as I like Genshin, it's largely fairly basic mechanically outside of the character interactions, while individual characters in Zenless have a lot going on even before you start considering team lineups. The story is also gripping even from the beginning, without as much of a spin-up period as the other games have had. And of course, the graphics and music speak for themselves.

If it wasn't for gacha being a taboo basically everywhere, I'd recommend this to most people. As it is, @BrawlMan I reckon you'll probably go for it/hope you're going for it too.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
it feels closer to Devil May Cry than to Genshin Impact.
The game is basically DMC and Bayonetta than Genshin. With Billy playing like a better version of Gungrave than the actual Grave from GORE.

If it wasn't for gacha being a taboo basically everywhere, I'd recommend this to most people. As it is, @BrawlMan I reckon you'll probably go for it/hope you're going for it too.
I've been enjoying it a lot @NerfedFalcon. The only thing I dislike about it, are the level mechanics when trying to go beyond level 10 or more. You need specific materials and items, and I find that dumb. BTW, when do I start unlocking more characters? I am 50% in Chapter 1. The Prologue Chapter is pretty long and could've been 3 chapters.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Zenless Zone Zero is a lot better than I was expecting, even having enjoyed previous games by the same developer. The amount of tech to it even at a basic level is surprisingly high, since the combo system isn't all that lenient; it feels closer to Devil May Cry than to Genshin Impact. Honestly, this is only a good thing: as much as I like Genshin, it's largely fairly basic mechanically outside of the character interactions, while individual characters in Zenless have a lot going on even before you start considering team lineups. The story is also gripping even from the beginning, without as much of a spin-up period as the other games have had. And of course, the graphics and music speak for themselves.

The game does make a really good first impression, I was immediately drawn in by how the parry looks and sounds. That said, what I have heard online about it so far doesn't sound too positive. I'm waiting for an in-depth review from a reviewer I trust before I consider trying it out.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - Demo
Part tower defense, part hack n slash, part whatever genre those online F2P battle fad games with branching pathways to the other teams' side are called - with colourful chinese mythological art style and enemy designs. Your tower is a dancing woman, you gotta carve a magical path through varying pretzel-like maps, freeing villagers who can then be assigned upgradeable combat/defense/healing/tech roles. Parts of the map can be rebuilt or fixed to reach useful extras but require your armed villagers to stop looking tough for a moment to do the work the protagonist refuses to do themselves. All while a day/night cycle trundles on. Daytime is your safe working look-busy time, nighttime however is spoopy enemy combat time, where your dancing tower lady halts her laughably slow dawdling and magical gates begin their flow of spoopy monsters to murder until the morning happun or, uh, you die I guess? When spoops gone, get the bloody dancing tower girl to haul her glacial ass to the end gate asap so everyone can do a silly dance to wash away the evil or invasive vibe plants. Go to base in-between levels to upgrade villager roles and pet local deer. Throw in a boss or two for good measure.

The demo felt engaging enough, with new enemy types introduced seemingly every new area inside the available levels, their designs and animations somewhat fresh and weird enough to maintain curiosity. One detail I found particularly amusing was instead of using the tired naming conventions for anonymous evil we've seen many times before like "darkness" "corruption" "bile" "grandma's skidded underwear" etc etc, this game just goes with "The S e e t h" - I choice I cannot help but imagine as an eternal army of sexually frustrated 8channers beelining to the last sexy dance tower woman left in the land. Am indeed far too internet poisoned. Oh yeah, this and a few other games have noticed recently started asking what my age is before the main menu boots up, and every time I go with "0" out of spite but they accept it with no further questions, so fuck knows what the bloody point in asking was anyway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Super Crush KO - A fun single plane brawler that reminds me of Shank, but with DMC/Bayonetta style mechanics. It doubles as a run n' gun too.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I've been enjoying it a lot @NerfedFalcon. The only thing I dislike about it, are the level mechanics when trying to go beyond level 10 or more. You need specific materials and items, and I find that dumb.
I admit this took me a while to get a feel for in Genshin as well. Essentially, that's pretty much the extent of the 'mobile RPG' side of it, well that and the gacha system. Since unlike in the previous games, characters don't have entire features locked behind level cap increases, it isn't as big of a deal. As long as you keep your Attack units first and foremost as close to the new cap as possible each time it's raised, you shouldn't have a problem. The mobile RPG levelling can be a turn-off too, but try to stick with it for a little.

BTW, when do I start unlocking more characters? I am 50% in Chapter 1. The Prologue Chapter is pretty long and could've been 3 chapters.
By now, you should have 'Signal Search' unlocked in the menu. That's the gacha, and it's where you'll get basically all your new characters from. There aren't that many in the game yet, so you might actually be better off waiting a few patches for more to be released, but that's essentially a last resort - if it's that much of a deal-breaker, then (I mean this in the best way) Zenless might not be your thing after all.

Oh yeah, one thing that I forgot to mention last time: Within your first 50 pulls on the 'Stable Channel' generic banner, you'll receive an S-rank unit at random from the list of six generics. That's worth going for as quickly as possible, especially with all the standard-banner pulls you get early on. After that, at 300 standard banner pulls you get to select which one of the six you want to recruit the most and get them on the spot. There are some people who prioritized this in Star Rail, but I still wouldn't recommend forcing it quickly. You'll have enough units to make fireworks fly anyway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
By now, you should have 'Signal Search' unlocked in the menu. That's the gacha, and it's where you'll get basically all your new characters from. There aren't that many in the game yet, so you might actually be better off waiting a few patches for more to be released, but that's essentially a last resort - if it's that much of a deal-breaker, then (I mean this in the best way) Zenless might not be your thing after all.
I got Ben twice and the drill guy from construction crew. I am not complaining too much, but I'll try to stick with it for now. I really don't like this method. I rather just have regular character unlocks, or give me a DLC character pack. Thank you for telling me, as I would have not figured that out. I don't see myself sticking around, but I'll try and enjoy the moments.

EDIT: I got Soldier 11 now too.

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I finished Far Cry Primal

It was aight. I guess it really was an expansion/DLC. It was probably half or 2/3rds as long and as diverse as a regular Far Cry game. It's hard to really put my finger on why it was a 7/10 which really should have nothing to do with length. I guess I'd say it just wasn't that interesting. I sorta blew my load early on exploring and upgrading the village and after that the game started to feel like a chore without any reward. Some of it was still fun. I enjoyed taking bases and unlocking pets, but for all intents and purposes I unlocked everything in important in the first 1-2/3rds of the game. I think I would have liked to see a 3rd final boss/tribe.

In most Far Cry games there's kind of a big bad that the game builds up to with sub-bosses. In Primal the game introduces one antagonist and then introduces a second and it doesn't matter which order you beat them in. The game ends when its done and thats kinda it. I did appreciate that several NPC had "endings". A lot of the time in Far Cry Games storylines just peter out. Like Cyberpunk when you capture all the cyberphyscosis patients she's just like "cool thanks". I hate that.

For 3-4 characters in Far Cry Primal they actually had an end. Like you don't go talk to them just to get a quest, your last talk is the end of that characters storyline where theres a sense of closure. One character just like "I'm getting too old and burden, gonna live with the animals", another is dying from cancer essentially, and requests assisted suicide which is pretty sad. You don't get that very often with side characters in games.

That said 2 others just don't have endings at all. Its that "oh..you finished my quests...well this is awkward". Maybe thats it. Maybe Far Cry Primal just didn't quite feel 8/10 rewarding. Far Cry Primal is a perfect example of a game thats just "fine".

Ok now it's time I work on the backlog!

...........So anyway I bought Yakuza: Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth and I'm starting that.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - Demo
Ooh I played this yesterday too. My feelings were mixed- loved the way it looked, loved the idea of it. The actual gameplay was a bit awkward- everything is context sensitive interactions so I got frustrated trying to communicate actions from my brain to the screen. Like getting my damn villagers to go the spot I wanted was something I never quite figured out. The duration of the monster attacks was pretty long too so I imagine this will be frustrating when you try a strategy then if it's wrong, you gotta battle all this while until failure and trying again. One of the most important things a game can do to draw me in is to make recovery from failure quick and smooth.

I didn't play enough to determine if any of my problems would be solved with playing more and getting the hang of it- I didn't complete the demo because I didn't have time and I just don't feel like continuing demos. It's in my "if on sale someday" mental list.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I've finally gotten around to Disco Elysium recently, and I gotta say, I get why this game makes such an impression. I'm only a couple of hours in, but it's already incredibly gripping in a completely unique way. Never have I played a game where I start to have a debate about fascism with the character's intestinal system, or hitting on a random woman I'm interviewing for a police investigation. All the dialogue's incredibly sharp, and often hilarious right out of fucking nowhere. It feels like playing through a novel, and I mean that as a compliment. But that's also its biggest flaw so far: it's so incredibly dense with dialogue, worldbuilding and lore that I can't really play it for long stretches before my brain becomes completely overwhelmed. I'm sure I'm only at the very start, but I have a feeling finishing it is going to take a while.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Worgen