What are you currently playing?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Just finished doing another play through of Bayonetta, currently working on Control and Blasphemous. Also got into Desktop Dungeons again so kinda been messing around with that a bit also.
What level did you play Bayonetta at? I finished it on Normal, but I could never cut it on Hard. Story of my spectacle fighter life.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Shadowrun Returns is set in Seattle and is about hunting down a serial killer who murdered your friend. It's the first one they made and the main campaign is somewhat of a tech demo for the level editor, and there's no core team of NPCs. Shadowrun Dragonfall is set in Berlin and is about finding out who killed your team leader during a run gone wrong. It's more expansive and every NPC on your team has a short questline with an additional mission. (Glory's is particularly great.) Shadowrun Hong Kong is set in Hong Kong, unsurprisingly, and is about tracking down your foster father and uncovering who ordered the murders of the shadowrunners he hired. Like Dragonfall, there's a core team of NPCs with additional missions to complete unlocked through conversation.
I picked those up and I've recently gotten through Returns. It was good and I'm looking forward to Dragonfall and Hong Kong. May decide not to do so as a Decker again though. There just wasn't enough opportunity for it to be advantageous, although it didn't seem like the game was punishingly hard because of my class choice.

But before I start on Dragonfall I'm right now kind of stuck on Raft. I usually don't go for early access, but a friend suggested it and wanted me to get it so we could play it multiplayer. And it is interesting. It is a "like Subnautica, but..." game. The "but" though is a big one. Like Subnautica you are adrift in a seemingly endless ocean. But, you don't explore underwater... much. Actually even getting in the water (especially early on) will get you quickly killed, the local sharks finding people pretty tasty. The trick is you are starting on a small floating raft, and you use a hook and line to snag floating garbage in an effort to survive and build on to your raft. Eventually turning it into a seagoing city if you keep on keeping on. I haven't played through much of it, but as far as survival crafting is concerned... its another one. With a not-quite unique but still interesting hook.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What level did you play Bayonetta at? I finished it on Normal, but I could never cut it on Hard. Story of my spectacle fighter life.
Well, this was the first time I beat it on pc, before I had played it on the 360, so I could only select normal.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Decking gets better with every game. That being said both Dragonfall and Hong Kong has a party member that's a Decker so that you don't feel locked in. After a few replays of all the games my go to PC is a charisma/combat character. You need those conversation options and there's always going to be combat, the major archtypes (Decker and Mage, really) are covered by party members.
yeah there's few reasons to go decker yourself, you can do almost everything with the decker party member (few dialogue choice that are not very important can only be done if your decker) and the diving itself isn't that hard anyway. I think drone user is the best for your player from a combat point of view, because the drone user allies won't get to the point where they can use 2 drone while as the player you can and it's pretty awesome.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I started a Minecraft server and I'm playing that. There's been a lot of changes since I've played last. Some of the new biomes are really cool like the ice spire mountains. Too bad they are kind of hard to find and usually too far from spawn to be worth building in. Even though Ice Spire Mountain is crying for some kind of evil fortress.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, this was the first time I beat it on pc, before I had played it on the 360, so I could only select normal.
I've done hard mode and infinite climax back on the 360. Infinite climax is a pain in the ass to play in the first game, you no which time, unless you bought a specific accessory. that's why I love the second game so much period you actually got which time on infinite climax, and you didn't need to buy a specific item. Plus, it was just way more fun not having to deal with QuickTime events that can institute you. Nor where the challenges as tedious or frustrating to get the best ranks.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
My next run through the game, I'll probably just build for optimal Blink early on. Keep my CPU minimal so it refreshes a lot, and add in the upgrades for it as I make more room. Because having a high refresh rate is really sweet if you are using those powers a lot.
Thanks for the thorough runthough. I think I'll pop this one on the list but file it closer to "run and gun plus".

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Thanks for the thorough runthough. I think I'll pop this one on the list but file it closer to "run and gun plus".
No problem, I highly recommend it, but yeah it's not like a Dishonored where you are sneaking around and building power sets. It's VERY much a "keep moving, keep killing" vibe of a game. You CAN be somewhat sneaky/slow at some points, usually some of the fight rooms where you can't progress until you kill everyone inside. Sometimes you can do some slow, sneaky stuff here and there, but mostly it's keep moving, relocate, redirect their attention, run around and flank them, cut them in half, wash, rinse repeat. Run and Gun is a good way to view it. I've called it, over in the "rename the game you just played thread" something like Cyberline Miami. Because in a lot of ways it feels like Hotline Miami, but 3D, and you're a technoninja. It's fast, frenetic, one fuck up will kill you, but you just restart at the beginning and try again, mapping out the best strategy based on layout and weapons for your playstyle. Plus it's got a badass soundtrack to accompany your parade of deaths and restarts.

I feel it was worth the $25 bucks I paid for it on release date, as while it's not long (if you're doing well), it's fun for what it does. Maybe wait for a sale if you'd rather not spend that much on it, but I don't regret it. I plan on playing it again, which for me, is a pretty good indicator it was doing something right, at least for my gaming tastes anyway.

And the soundtrack is just fucking sweet. If you love synthwave, you might want to just pick up the soundtrack. It's delicious.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I never much cared for playing a drone user. There's something about playing a character that's playing a robot that's just off-putting to me. It didn't help that drones were pretty lackluster in Returns and thus soured my perception of them.
They're much better in HK/dragonfall, they're are only sligthly worse than NPC, so when you have two out at once it's actually pretty strong since you spend 1 AP for each but they get the standard 2/3 AP per turn. Although none of the game are hard combat wise so anything work just fine. Personally I avoided magic class because it limit body modification and I though that was a bit disappointing, although I alway place a few point in Cha stuff for the free totem buff and some cheap dialogue option.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The Long Dark. I've got two pairs of socks on and I'm dead. Don't assume a correlation, but, please, be careful getting dressed in the morning.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Mainly been going hard on GGAC+R since it got ggpo on steam, lots of new people and lots of returning people to fight. It's cool to remove the dust from my HOS and do some gunblaze loops.

Also trails of cold steel 4, which is shaping up to be a huge and incredible end to a 4 game series that brings 9 games together, each of them being a 70~ hour Jrpg, for an epic end of the world narrative that combines the narratives of all of these other games in its plot. It's absolutely amazing to play a continued story from like 14 years ago that was never reworked or adapted, just remaining consistent throughout all this time.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Just finished Red Dead Redemption 2, I'm now in the phase of looking at all the games I have in Steam and being lost as to do next.

Guessing it’ll be something smaller lol? I still have The Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come: Deliverance half finished but a ton of other much lighter stuff that’s more appealing to avoid open world fatigue. For instance I picked Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night back up and am loving it, but sadly it has a pesky error code even after the latest update. Seems to be regardless of platform too.

Might as well go for my last RDR2 trophy, but that’s also proving to be possibly the biggest hurdle yet. I have a feeling all the challenges will feel like a cakewalk after my first tastes of having to abandon/reload various missions due to any mistake, which wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the fact most missions are prefaced by about five minutes of traveling.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I think I've reached the first branching Path in Dark Souls 3.

After clearing the village of jerks/undead settlement(and taking out the giant evil tree with some help and a lot of luck), I've been working through the road of sacrifices. Got my first invasion(from a mound maker) around the time I reached the crucifixion woods and managed to win on the first try(I did the same with Holy Knight Holdrick as well) so either I'm getting better at the series or something cause I always sucked at repelling invasions in the other games. Normally i just tried to get as close to the bonfire as I could so at least I could get my souls back quickly.

Anyway, found my way to the Crystal Sage before finding Farron Keep. I put a summon sign down next to the Sage boss fight and a guy dressed like Solaire lead me all the way to Farron Keep(which I hadn't discovered yet), so now I got a boss in one direction blocking my way and a new area to explore in the other. I'm not sure exactly what's behind the sage but I think it might be the Cathedral of the Deep and I'm not sure where either of those allow progress to. I know eventually the road ends at the boreal valley but that's a bit farther down the line. I also know that Farron keep is a poison fucking swamp, because FROM just can't make a game without putting a poison swamp in there somewhere. So there's a Regular Swamp above with GIANT CRABS and a Poison Swamp below because Miyazaki hates us.

Also, killed a half naked lady with a giant blade in on the road of sacrifices after getting mugged by her at least once. Mildred, is that you? I think she's a one and done since she seems to be unique NPC but I haven't gone back there to check.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So I think I've reached the first branching Path in Dark Souls 3.

After clearing the village of jerks/undead settlement(and taking out the giant evil tree with some help and a lot of luck), I've been working through the road of sacrifices. Got my first invasion(from a mound maker) around the time I reached the crucifixion woods and managed to win on the first try(I did the same with Holy Knight Holdrick as well) so either I'm getting better at the series or something cause I always sucked at repelling invasions in the other games. Normally i just tried to get as close to the bonfire as I could so at least I could get my souls back quickly.

Anyway, found my way to the Crystal Sage before finding Farron Keep. I put a summon sign down next to the Sage boss fight and a guy dressed like Solaire lead me all the way to Farron Keep(which I hadn't discovered yet), so now I got a boss in one direction blocking my way and a new area to explore in the other. I'm not sure exactly what's behind the sage but I think it might be the Cathedral of the Deep and I'm not sure where either of those allow progress to. I know eventually the road ends at the boreal valley but that's a bit farther down the line. I also know that Farron keep is a poison fucking swamp, because FROM just can't make a game without putting a poison swamp in there somewhere. So there's a Regular Swamp above with GIANT CRABS and a Poison Swamp below because Miyazaki hates us.

Also, killed a half naked lady with a giant blade in on the road of sacrifices after getting mugged by her at least once. Mildred, is that you? I think she's a one and done since she seems to be unique NPC but I haven't gone back there to check.

It’s not too bad, unless you insist on nabbing all the glowies that are of course semi-guarded by some annoying bastards. I think there’s at least a bonfire pretty close on the lower level, and of course later via shortcut. The worst part for me was I never had the rusted ring or whatever helped mobility in the swamps from earlier games.

Stock up on moss!

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It’s not too bad, unless you insist on nabbing all the glowies that are of course semi-guarded by some annoying bastards. I think there’s at least a bonfire pretty close on the lower level, and of course later via shortcut. The worst part for me was I never had the rusted ring or whatever helped mobility in the swamps from earlier games.

Stock up on moss!
Oh, I learned that lesson from DS1.

Is there even a rusted ring in this game?

So far I haven't had to deal with the giant crabs directly, because I've been keeping well away from them and I've seen how fast those fuckers can move. As tempting as some of the shinies can be, I'd not going to kill myself to get them unless there's some really good ones I need to grab.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Oh, I learned that lesson from DS1.

Is there even a rusted ring in this game?

So far I haven't had to deal with the giant crabs directly, because I've been keeping well away from them and I've seen how fast those fuckers can move. As tempting as some of the shinies can be, I'd not going to kill myself to get them unless there's some really good ones I need to grab.

If there is I must’ve completely overlooked it, and I’ve gone out of my way to get every ring besides any tied to convenants or FROM-tastically obscure conditions.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
If there is I must’ve completely overlooked it, and I’ve gone out of my way to get every ring besides any tied to convenants or FROM-tastically obscure conditions.
Yeah, I guess there's not, doing a quick search. A pity.

I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter too much which path I take when the road forks. For example, if I go through Farrow Keep and do the Abyss Watchers or go through the Crystal Sage and into the Cathedral, I have to do both eventually, I take it.

I know I have to kill the Abyss Watchers and I'm guessing the Cathedral isn't an optional area, considering how huge it looks and how often it gets mentioned thus far.

Last edited: