What are you currently playing?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Screw it, I'm just gonna risk some of it in human form. Doubt you can go from black to white in one playthrough anyway. Just beat Leechmonger.

Edit: Weird. I killed one boss and most of the worlds went from dark to medium light.xxxxxxxxx.png Special time of day?

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Dark Souls Remastered, least "remastered" game to ever wield the title. Bonfire in the Catacombs is nice (for all both times I wanna visit Vamos,) and I like using multiple of a single item at once (don't know how the original got out of development without that option,) but other than that, what exactly did they "remaster?"

Not complaining; I love this game just the way it is; so much fun, even dozens playthroughs later. Just don't understand why it was "remastered" with so few appreciable differences.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Maximum profit for minimal effort?
Well damn, I staved off buying a new [current gen] console for 3 years after mine broke precisely because of that practice, and look who fell right into their trap. Jokes on them that I'm enjoying it still? Mutual masturbation (a phrased coined by my junior year religion teacher on the evils of premarital sex that has stuck with me for +20 years.)

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well damn, I staved off buying a new [current gen] console for 3 years after mine broke precisely because of that practice, and look who fell right into their trap. Jokes on them that I'm enjoying it still? Mutual masturbation (a phrased coined by my junior year religion teacher on the evils of premarital sex that has stuck with me for +20 years.)
Heh, well I'm glad you're enjoying the game, but yeah the way you describe it, just sounds like the reason for why the special effects are so shitty in the final film of the Twilight saga. Went to go see it with my wife because I'd heard that Michael Sheen chewed so much scenery as to deforest a continent, and holy shit did he ever! But I remember thinking "wow, these special effects are terrible! I mean they are clearly standing in front of a matte painting!" And then I realized they knew they were getting tickets. Too many ladies and young girls were too far invested in the series to NOT buy the final film, so who cares if the effects are bad? We've already got their money!

I suspect it's the same for...well most "remasters" to be honest, but especially if they don't really change much. So I suspect they were like "eh, polish up the graphics a bit and ship it. All those Souls addicts will lap it up no matter what."

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So I suspect they were like "eh, polish up the graphics a bit and ship it. All those Souls addicts will lap it up no matter what."
"Johns don't pay whores for love; they pay for sex."

~Every pimp ever as overheard by game publishers for the past 10 years.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Screw it, I'm just gonna risk some of it in human form. Doubt you can go from black to white in one playthrough anyway. Just beat Leechmonger.

Edit: Weird. I killed one boss and most of the worlds went from dark to medium light.View attachment 1627 Special time of day?
When you start up the game online your world tendency is affected by the global world tendency (which generally skews toward slightly white tendency).

At least that's how it worked in the PS3 version.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
When you start up the game online your world tendency is affected by the global world tendency (which generally skews toward slightly white tendency.

At least that's how it worked in the PS3 version.

If it isn’t working right on the emulators I’ve read that cheat engine can act as a more deliberate course correction.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
If it isn’t working right on the emulators I’ve read that cheat engine can act as a more deliberate course correction.
I don't get Cheat Engine. Tried changing my hair and character tendency (because I forgot it follows you to NG+ before I murdered everyone in NG) with this table, but I just don't get it.

Already collected all the white world items.

Escapist format is weird. I didn't want to post all that. I merely wanted to post a link.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't get Cheat Engine. Tried changing my hair and character tendency (because I forgot it follows you to NG+ before I murdered everyone in NG) with this table, but I just don't get it.

Already collected all the white world items.

Escapist format is weird. I didn't want to post all that. I merely wanted to post a link.

It auto-formats to the unfurl tags that display full link previews, but yeah that particular link is excessive.

On topic, off to a pretty good start towards the Gold Rush trophy in RDR2. I already have twice as many gold medals after just starting chapter two as I did originally after a whole playthrough. It feels kinda like a victory lap as some are pretty easy, while the tougher ones are like the track is littered with claymores and tumbleweeds with rattlesnakes caught in them, but only you the player are heavy enough to trigger any.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Tony Hawk's 1 & 2 remake
What is going on? Is this feeling nostalgia? This familiar music causes strange melancholic emotions, a sad twisted pining for a more hopeful time? This gameplay felt so natural to slip into, reverting into manual into lip into revert to manual to grind, like a past life has been awoken. I cannot judge this objectively. But it is pleasant to have a solid, complete videogame without the modern guantlet of bullshit oh wait the documents you have to sign beforehand of course becuase Activision, nevermind! There is a shop and it doesn't lead to microtransactions? How long till they patch that out, I wonder. I'll take it whilst I can, thanks!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hollow Knight

Just beat The Radiance and finished a 40 hour game with 106% completion. This is everything I want in a Metroidvania, love the feeling that you're completing one gigantic jigsaw by working alternatively on different areas of the puzzle (and then you get to connect them!). As for the story, it was all white noise to me. You've played an anonymous Chosen One tasked with cleansing a dead or dying world of corruption or infection from an old king or god, you've played them all. The lore is just salad dressing.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Hollow Knight

Just beat The Radiance and finished a 40 hour game with 106% completion. This is everything I want in a Metroidvania, love the feeling that you're completing one gigantic jigsaw by working alternatively on different areas of the puzzle (and then you get to connect them!). As for the story, it was all white noise to me. You've played an anonymous Chosen One tasked with cleansing a dead or dying world of corruption or infection from an old king or god, you've played them all. The lore is just salad dressing.
How does it compare to Metroid and ‘Vania? I’ve also heard it’s Souls-like for I’m guessing difficulty?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
How does it compare to Metroid and ‘Vania? I’ve also heard it’s Souls-like for I’m guessing difficulty?
It's not especially difficult, except for some totally optional colosseum fights and boss rushes.

It's Souls-like in that when you die you show up at the last checkpoint you activated with your MP halved and currency gone, and you get one shot at getting everything back by killing a shade that lingers around the place where you die. Fortunately it tends to spawn at the entrance of rooms, and outside boss rooms too. There's some trial and error platforming but nothing that will kill you instantly like in Blasphemous. One of the optional areas is a Super Meat Boy style gauntlet, but otherwise nothing too frustrating.

As for progression, I found it way more labyrinthine than the usual Souls loop, and more reliant on learning new abilities than unlocking shortcuts (thought there's some of that too). Once you're done with the first few areas the world opens up an impressive amount and you can go a long way before hitting any ability-gating. This also means tons of backtracking. Even once you've unlocked every fast travel station as well as the ability to warp to a specific point you marked down (it's one way and you can only have one at a time) you'll still be doing TONS of backtracking just for the exploration or revisiting places you think you can now take on. Probably the worst thing I can say about the game, not that I mind it too much (I actually like getting lost in these things).

The abilities themselves are your usual run of the mill dash/double-jump/wall jump/variation of flight, and the combat evolves with some basic charge attacks. The charms you can equip for a variety of effects I found to add more versatility to the gameplay in general, especially for challenge fights. Usually I don't even tinker with ability loadouts and just stick to what works in general, but here I found pretty useful to experiment around.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ahem....White Palace.

Which isn't optional if you want to get the True ending.

The Path of Pain, OTOH, is totally optional and is there for bragging rights and a tiny bit of lore.
Yeah, that's the Super Meat Boy gauntlet I was talking about. Thing about that is you can break it by equipping Hiveblood and Grubsong, so you heal automatically and death just nets you more Soul. So you're never in any danger of losing any progress. It just becomes a matter of time.

Conversely, it seems insane to do it without either of those charms.

Does the Path of Pain add to the %?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, that's the Super Meat Boy gauntlet I was talking about. Thing about that is you can break it by equipping Hiveblood and Grubsong, so you heal automatically and death just nets you more Soul. So you're never in any danger of losing any progress. It just becomes a matter of time.

Conversely, it seems insane to do it without either of those charms.

Does the Path of Pain add to the %?
I skimmed over that. My bad. I should have realized when you mentioned the Radiance.

I tried doing the White Palace without hiveblood. I got maybe halfway before having to leave and go get it. Grubsong helped but I think it eventually ends up being a losing battle with enough deaths.

Apparently PoP does not count for %. That's just how optional it is.

Did you end up doing the Boss Rush DLC(Godmaster)? I saw you has + 100% completion but I don't know if the DLC counts towards that.

I ended up skipping out on it but I appreciate the fact they gave people who want more challenge that extra content to satiate them without locking the main content behind it.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I skimmed over that. My bad. I should have realized when you mentioned the Radiance.

I tried doing the White Palace without hiveblood. I got maybe halfway before having to leave and go get it. Grubsong helped but I think it eventually ends up being a losing battle with enough deaths.

Apparently PoP does not count for %. That's just how optional it is.

Did you end up doing the Boss Rush DLC(Godmaster)? I saw you has + 100% completion but I don't know if the DLC counts towards that.

I ended up skipping out on it but I appreciate the fact they gave people who want more challenge that extra content to satiate them without locking the main content behind it.
I think it does, since there are some trophies tied to it and I can't think of anything else I might be missing from the main game. I'm at 107% out of 112% and already mapped everything and finished every quest. Only thing I can think of is the Godmaster DLC. And I guess the beast catalogue thing. Either way gotta do everything for the Platinum.

I do appreciate how the game never locks you out of content like most Souls games that will put hidden flags and timers behind everything. Lets you play at your own leisure without having to worry about following a specific order, which would severely impair the exploration aspect.

Reactions: Dalisclock