What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gungrave GORE on Hard Mode completed. The final boss I actually managed to beat without dying this time. I still dislike the last few levels in the alien ship. All they do is throw buffed up enemies at you, and it's same alien/human/clone Tyrant knock offs and lizard dudes for the last 4 levels. I do like the dual boss fight in the next to last levels.

I got the OG costume as an unlock and it looks great! I am never doing GORE difficulty. Screw that noise.

EDIT: Playing as Bunji right now and HE'S GODDAMN COOL! His third Demolition Shot breaks the game.

I did play Double Dragon Gaiden at midnight for my birthday.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Tekken 4. Not a bad fighting game, but I can see why people disliked it at the time. It still has better bonus modes and a better Tekken Force than whatever the fuck Tekken 5's is. I'll be playing Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore later.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I finished up Gears 5

Where Gears 4 was very much just another Gears game, 5 makes a lot of minor but collectively meaningful changes, refinements and additions. Namely, the "open world" sections, and the Jack robot.

Jack is a little robot that follows you around, but it comes with a selection of activatable abilities, and you can order it around to pick up weapons and ammo for you. The abilities range from a wall hack, to temporarily turning an enemy into an ally. One of my favourite abilities was the invisibility, which increased its duration after every kill, which meant that you could quite easily chain a number of stealth knife kills before or during every engagement. It did sort of trivialize a lot of encounters, but it was still a lot of fun.

The other addition are the open areas. You get to use this wind skiff to navigate the icy plains of Act 2, or the red desert of Act 3. You are shown your primary objective, and then there are a few secondary objectives scattered around the map. These usually manifest as small engagements, where the rewards are often extra Jack upgrades and heavy weapons - they're well worth doing.

If I had to point out a weird criticism though, it would be how ammo works. When I was playing Gears 4, ammo crates would only replenish the ammo of basic weapons - pistols, shotguns, and assault rifles. If you wanted to replenish the ammo of power weapons, you had to find another of that power weapon to scavenge the ammo from. In Gears 5 though, ammo crates replenished power weapon ammo too. Whilst obviously super convenient, this limitation in Gears 4 encouraged using lots of different weapons, because there was never a guarantee that you would come across more ammo for that gun anytime soon, whereas in Gears 5 I was always lugging around an empty sniper rifle, because I knew that there would likely be an ammo crate around the corner. It just meant that I used a lot less of the sandbox that I probably would have liked.

In the end, it is an enjoyable game. Though with Gears E-Day on the horizon, and not Gears 6, I am curious to see if we are ever going to see a resolution to this plotline.

-------------------

Next up is Gears Hivebusters. This is the DLC campaign for Gears 5.

This is a standalone story that basically tells you how the game's Hive mode exists. In this DLC you can pick one of three different characters, each with a different ultimate ability, but other than that, it is mostly just your standard Gears of War fare, without too much to spice things up.

I thought it was okay, but it leans really heavily into that trope where these three characters go from not really caring about one and other, to being inseparable "family" after about two hours. It also focuses really heavily into the series' equivalent of Māori culture, and their various rituals etc. Never really cared for that kind of stuff, so I wasn't bothered about it here either.

Also notably, whilst this DLC is called "Hivebusters", you never actually bust any hives. Obviously there is a whole mode for that, but I would have liked one as the final mission.

-------------------

Now im playing Ryse: Son of Rome, and I'm about half way through it now.

Right of the bat, this game looks great. CryEngine games have always looked really impressive, and stood the test of time, but sometimes I have to pinch myself to remind me that this is a 10+ year old game, that launched on the Xbox One, and not something that came out within the last year or two. It looks really great.

One big criticism about its presentation though, is that this game quite possibly has the worst UI/UX experience of any big-budget game that I have ever played. Honestly, it feels like a all of the UI and menu assets are just placeholders, that they decided to ship with. It just makes the game look incredibly cheap whenever a menu or UI element appears on the screen.

The combat is also quite enjoyable, though very simplistic and repetitive. It does the DOOM 2016 glory kill thing, where takedowns give you some kind of resource, but this kind of mechanic is really dependent on having a deep pool of animations to keep that from going stale, and i've just about hit that point.

Honestly the most difficult thing about the game is trying to rewire my brain from Batman Arkham controls, to Ryse's button layout. The functions are exactly the same, but the buttons are different (and un-remapable on controller!) for *reasons*. Namely the Counter being on A instead of Y is really fucking me up. But im getting used to it.

The saving grace though, is that it appears to be very short. I'm pretty sure the game will wrap up before it really overstays its welcome.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Demos...

Rise of the Ronin
All the awkward angles and wonky movements of Team Ninja with the goddamn delayed attacks that need to be awkwardly parried of the Sekiro rip-off subgenre dominating action games. Hard pass.
Shame is I actually was intrigued by the story setup. Oh well.

Schim
This is the indy sort of platform sort of puzzle game where you're a creature jumping from shadow to shadow to get around. I say sort of puzzle because yes you have to figure out how to get around but the movement is very forgiving and feels good to execute. I liked it and put it on my wishlist.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How so? I can't think of any glaring issues.
The whole choose one and the other dies bit. It's either JD or Del and will Gears 6 will have to account for the player's choice at some point. The fact they chose a prequel, instead of tackling the plotline kinda proves that. We call, we wrote ourselves into a corner, so here's a prequel where we dip back into the well or have an origin episode. See Devil May Cry 3 and Metal Gear Solid 3. Those are actually great games though. E-Day might be fine, but it's funny they're banking on nostalgia while earlier and going on about how they should move beyond the original trilogy.

Also, I found from one of the user's in the comments mentioned this:

@217adaptiveperspective

Apparently it's a different Team making E-Day, and they didn't feel like tackling the story and cliffhanger the old TC Devs left for them. So they're doing E-Day to figure things out first. Also canonically Lancers with chainsaws don't start getting mass produced until around a year after E-Day, with Tai being the one to lead to it's creation.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The whole choose one and the other dies bit. It's either JD or Del and will Gears 6 will have to account for the player's choice at some point. The fact they chose a prequel, instead of tackling the plotline kinda proves that.
]I wouldn't necessarily say that they wrote themselves into a corner over this. Sure, its a wrinkle that they will have to deal with, but there is definitely precedent for sequels having to deal with player-determinant deaths or choices in previous games,

Off the top of my head, Wolfenstein (2014) forces you to pick between Fergus or Wyatt at the beginning of the game, which caries into the sequel, where you are immediately prompted to select which one survived. And a number of companions can die during the Mass Effect games, that the sequels had to account for.

I think the real reason why Gears doing a prequel, instead of doing Gears 6, is due to the general lack of enthusiasm over the Swarm, and the new characters in general. I can't really blame them: sequels after the original story was concluded are generally never as satisfying, and they normally feel like a continuation for the sake of continuation. I'm constantly wishing that Halo would go back to the Human-Covenant war, even if a consequence of that is that the overall story ends up forever treading water.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Off the top of my head, Wolfenstein (2014) forces you to pick between Fergus or Wyatt at the beginning of the game, which caries into the sequel, where you are immediately prompted to select which one survived. And a number of companions can die during the Mass Effect games, that the sequels had to account for.
That's because those devs knew what they were doing and did immediate sequels and took the into account. The Gears devs clearly didn't have a plan in mind after this.

I think the real reason why Gears doing a prequel, instead of doing Gears 6, is due to the general lack of enthusiasm over the Swarm, and the new characters in general. I can't really blame them: sequels after the original story was concluded are generally never as satisfying, and they normally feel like a continuation for the sake of continuation. I'm constantly wishing that Halo would go back to the Human-Covenant war, even if a consequence of that is that the overall story ends up forever treading water.
That more or less proves my point. Ends on a cliffhanger, has enemy faction most people don't like, and the next game has to account for either character death choice. Hence why they're hitting the prequel button, because no one wants to deal with that hot mess nor how to handle it. They pretty much set up themselves or whoever is in the next dev chair for failure.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Metroid Dread: Made it to the point where I finally found out why the plot is happening. Turns out that Samus's Metroid DNA that she was implanted with 20 years ago in Fusion made her a target for this game's villain, Raven Beak, who wants to create a Metroid army to take over the universe. Since Samus already genocided the Metroids back in the second game, Raven Beak stole the EMMIs from the Federation to extract Samus's DNA.

And he built an entire extra robot army to try and stop her from leaving, because just destroying the elevators to the surface seemingly didn't occur to him.

I like the game a lot so far, but the requirement to know about the Metroid series lore may turn off a lot of people; then again, I feel like the devs probably didn't expect anyone who didn't know about the Metroid series lore already to be interested in buying the game, and at least this way the lore dumps get (mostly) extricated. And the lore dump that just happened was actually pretty good, so.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Went back to Braid: Anniversary Edition to finish World 7. That's Platinum #125.

World 7 is probably the big selling point for the Anniversary Edition, although I wish it was a 'proper' world instead of a bunch of doors that you access from the commentary hub. I think it was billed as having "40 new rooms", although most of those are simply part of the commentary hub world. There're in actuality 16 new puzzle pieces to collect. The puzzles themselves are worthy additions to the game.

I went back to Foamstars, Square Enix's lame attempt at F2P liveservice, since they added an extra trophy this season. It was a case of reinstalling the game and playing the new game mode until I found a team that could carry me. Didn't take long. And that's 16 GB I'll have back, thank you SE.

Still playing Sackworld: A Big Adventure with the missus. The levels become harder around worlds 3-4. I've learned to suck it up and "have fun" (sp?) when playing co-op and go back for collectibles and no-death runs when I'm on my own.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I completed my Bunji Run of Gungrave GORE. Fun to play him, but he doesn't have as a large move set as Grave does. Hence why he is so overpowered. Especially if you upgraded his bullet damage.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Metroid Dread: Made it to the point where I finally found out why the plot is happening. Turns out that Samus's Metroid DNA that she was implanted with 20 years ago in Fusion made her a target for this game's villain, Raven Beak, who wants to create a Metroid army to take over the universe. Since Samus already genocided the Metroids back in the second game, Raven Beak stole the EMMIs from the Federation to extract Samus's DNA.

And he built an entire extra robot army to try and stop her from leaving, because just destroying the elevators to the surface seemingly didn't occur to him.

I like the game a lot so far, but the requirement to know about the Metroid series lore may turn off a lot of people; then again, I feel like the devs probably didn't expect anyone who didn't know about the Metroid series lore already to be interested in buying the game, and at least this way the lore dumps get (mostly) extricated. And the lore dump that just happened was actually pretty good, so.
I don't think a lot of people pick up metroid for the story, so not knowing it won't be a deal breaker for many.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Bastion

The first Super Giant game and the only one I hadn't played.
It's great! For some reason I had it in my head that it was like some pixel RPG thing- just some poor memory of old screen shots or something, I dunno. But no it's just a fun straightforward action game, kind of hack 'n' slashy. In fact it feels a lot like Hades- you go from room to room, fight stuff, have an arsenal of weapons that are just really stylish variations of your standard weapon set- sword, hammer, bow, gun, etc. It feels like Hades without the parts of Hades I don't like- the "roguelite." No procedural generation, just short missions in a linear story.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bastion

The first Super Giant game and the only one I hadn't played.
It's great! For some reason I had it in my head that it was like some pixel RPG thing- just some poor memory of old screen shots or something, I dunno. But no it's just a fun straightforward action game, kind of hack 'n' slashy. In fact it feels a lot like Hades- you go from room to room, fight stuff, have an arsenal of weapons that are just really stylish variations of your standard weapon set- sword, hammer, bow, gun, etc. It feels like Hades without the parts of Hades I don't like- the "roguelite." No procedural generation, just short missions in a linear story.
Glad you are enjoying it. I have not touched the game since 2015, so I might give it a go again later. I did beat it and see both endings.

I don't know what I am playing next, but I am more than likely going back and finishing Gal Guardians and Super Crush KO.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Astronite

It's a black and white, retro looking, super minimalistic Metroidvania by a Spanish dev. Looks like Gato Roboto. It's marketed as "1-bit", which is wrong because there's also some gray in there, but whatever.

You play as a cute little astronaut that crashes on an alien planet, promptly loses his gun/dash/jetpack and has to go do the Metroid thing. You get your pea shooter back pretty quickly, but its range is pathetic compared to the shooting range of every enemy in the game.

Speaking of unfair, you start off with a measly 3 HP (and never gain any means of healing, outside saving and making everything respawn), checkpoints are few and far apart, and there's a Souls-like system where you lose your cash upon death and get a single shot at reclaiming it. The more precious items cost thousands but you you only get like 5 moneys per kill. Also using fast travel costs money. Go figure.

So it's a pretty unwelcoming game, and it also cheats halfway through by buffing up the enemies and screwing over your own progress. I happen to like it though. The game is smart with the positioning of enemies and platforms, and so long as you play deliberately you can make good headway. I've died a bunch of times but never got to lose any money. Bosses are fun, some gauntlets are pretty challenging, the upgrades really pay off, the movement abilities are easy to use and satisfying to pull off.

One last thing: the game features some truly atrocious dialogue that typically has two characters saying the same thing back and forth ("It's a door!" "Do you think it'll lead somewhere?" "We should open it" "Yes, let's open it"), and to make things even more aggravating the screen flashes a blinding white light to punctuate dialogue. Oh and I had to turn off vibration because they really overdid it with the constant rumble.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Metroid Dread: Pretty certain I've reached the final boss. Thinking about whether to go for it right now or circle back to the other areas to pick up all the remaining items. It's not like I don't think I can do it, I just might want to try exploring some more. A lot of optional items are hidden in places that genuinely take some thinking and effort to reach, which is a good thing - just one that might be too much of a good thing.

Eh, guess I'll go circle around, see what I can get, maybe not try too hard on the really hard ones. Not like I was expecting to get the bonuses for clearing the file quickly anyway, on my first playthrough. Can speedrun it later.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So I beat the Elder Dragon that you encountered at the start of the game in Monster Hunter world, and it kinda felt like that was it. Which was confusing, since I'd used the same armor and weapon the entire time until that point.

Reddit says I still have 50 more hours to go, which is a relief. Really want to change up my armor and weapons soon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@NerfedFalcon, @Old_Hunter_77, @hanselthecaretaker2 , and @CriticalGaming, I decided to try GORE difficulty in Gungrave G.O.R.E. What the hell is wrong with me?! So far It has not gone too bad. I almost died to one of the first major 4 crime lord bosses. On this difficulty you get no checkpoints. You die, you have to start the level all over again. I dread when I get to Rose Quartz's level. I might just use the level select and do her's early to get it out of the way. I'm currently in the Vietnam levels. I'll play more when I get home from work.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
And that's a wrap on Astronite.

I enjoyed it but yeah, how's this for artificial difficulty:

Halfway through the game the big bad shows up, goes muahahaha and lets you know that enemies are now tougher, as in they take double the damage to kill - meaning you now basically deal half damage.

The ultimate store reward, worth 3750 souls (enemies drop like 5), consists of a x2 multiplier for your gun. And so you now spend the second half of the game basically working towards a purchase that will roughly put you back to where you were half a game ago.

That particular bullshit aside, I found the game a solid B+. It can be unwelcoming and very punishing but I was comfortable with the difficulty level and largely enjoyed my time with it.