What are you currently playing?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
No, they are designed around not taking cover (at least till the second half) The gears shooter is what popularized the cover based shooting that everyone was doing for awhile there and Space Marine specifically was going against that since everyone was back then since there was a backlash to that kinda gameplay since it was so common.
In Gears of War, you take cover. In Space Marine, you are the cover.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
So, as home prices are insane at this time, my daughter spent nearly 4 years living in my house addition where my PS4 Pro is and I've barely touched it. Well, she just moved out and got a home!!! But, being selfish, the real news is I got my home theater/game room back! For now. We'll see if someone else (my boy's new wife) wants the space soon. ITMT I played about 5 hours of Uncharted 4 today. Just kicked back, had some 12% beer and ice cream and moved back and forth between the game and a youtube walk through and made it to part 9. Just such a hoot. Some of the last, best gaming I've done is the Tomb Raider reboot and this reminds me of the best of that. I hated old Tomb Raider. The challenge in that could be jumping from space to space. These people are supposed to be great at this stuff. Well, new Tomb Raider and Uncharted? Jumping through the terrain is a hoot. Can't wait to play some more.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Astro Bot

It's fun, but for a dedicated game now it lacks its own identity, primarily coasting off of the recognition of other game characters. And in that it is kinda wonderful finding old favourites. And the gatcha machine this time allows you to get them their personal items, like Rivet's hammer, or Jak's... Daxter, which results in a cute response if you then smack them.

It doesn't do anything new other then give the promise that maybe Sony still has some eye for its old neglected IPs. And perhaps that's enough (ontop of the fun responsive platforming). Playing an Ape Escape level again was like finding an old family foto.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Astro Bot

It's fun, but for a dedicated game now it lacks its own identity, primarily coasting off of the recognition of other game characters. And in that it is kinda wonderful finding old favourites. And the gatcha machine this time allows you to get them their personal items, like Rivet's hammer, or Jak's... Daxter, which results in a cute response if you then smack them.

It doesn't do anything new other then give the promise that maybe Sony still has some eye for its old neglected IPs. And perhaps that's enough (ontop of the fun responsive platforming). Playing an Ape Escape level again was like finding an old family foto.
I can live with all that, because it is better than any of Sony's live service shit. I'll pick this up later.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Hue. Cute game, makes the most of a pretty original mechanic. Braid meets Thomas Was Alone, but not quite as good (or pretentious) as either. I think the story is kinda weak and delivering it via monologues across long boring hallways measured precisely to let the whole audio play didn't help marry the "plot" to the game. People complain about Braid's story being just a bunch of .txt you can skip over in the foyer to the actual game, but I think there plenty of storytelling via gameplay, and the themes of guilt and remorse and delusion (ie. rewinding time) have a more impactful emotional resonance than those of "the wonders of perception" (ie. apply color filters to add/remove objects). Especially since the ending of Hue doesn't really change my perception of a fairly bare, obvious story.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Been playing vision of mana, maybe half way trough the game.

It's okay but really, I'm just not the target audience. It has colourful visual, which mean an exec saw this and went "Oh! This is for children, make sure you dumb everything down as much as possible". And so it was, combat is very simple, especially because you have two bar you full up for super attack, you can use them very often and they clean up pretty much everything on screen that's not a boss (which are only longer to beat because they're damage sponge). The trial of mana remake from a few year back also had simple gameplay, but it compensated by having a fun class system, where you could put a lot of though into what kind of party composition you wanted. Vision also has a class system, but its dumbed down. Trial class where limited in what magic/skill they could use, but vision let them use them all once their learned, so the class only affect what passive you have, which have somewhat limited impact. It also change the weapon you use, but they don't have that much difference, and spamming attack is always what you should do. You can also equip accessory which give you access to more move/magic or boost stats, but every characters learn all the moves they'll need, so there's almost no reason not to just use stats boosting one. The only things you gotta consider is what element to bring to a fight since character only have a limited number of move available in fight, but there's not really any way to know what the next boss will be weak to, so its not really something to consider for the most part. It's functional if you want flashy visual, but there's just not much more to it and feel like a step back from Trial.

Story start out somewhat interesting, essentially every 4 year every region has to send a human sacrifice to keep the world from falling into ruin. Unfortunately they don't really do anything with it, most of it is just about meeting the various human sacrifice, learning their backstory and fixing their problem, which aren't very interesting. Again, this is for kid and it'll work for someone who has had very little exposure to fantasy tropes. The game also has character constantly repeat everything, gotta make sure kid with short attention spam gets the message. Its a bit of a shame because the mana franchise always had a bit of a melancholic spin on the usual story tropes, with death being consider more of a natural part of life with often theme of rebirth, a story about sacrifice woul dhave fitted really well.

So not a terrible game, but toward the bottom of the mana franchise without anything to really make it stand out. Legend of mana gameplay is worse, but it has really interesting story structure and great 2D artwork. Trial of mana has more inetersting gameplay and party planning. Secret of mana gameplay was better, relative to other game around that time. Secret of evermore has a weirder setting and a lovable puppy. Vision just... doesn't really have anything, it lacked vision /rimshoot.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Been playing vision of mana, maybe half way trough the game.

It's okay but really, I'm just not the target audience. It has colourful visual, which mean an exec saw this and went "Oh! This is for children, make sure you dumb everything down as much as possible". And so it was, combat is very simple, especially because you have two bar you full up for super attack, you can use them very often and they clean up pretty much everything on screen that's not a boss (which are only longer to beat because they're damage sponge). The trial of mana remake from a few year back also had simple gameplay, but it compensated by having a fun class system, where you could put a lot of though into what kind of party composition you wanted. Vision also has a class system, but its dumbed down. Trial class where limited in what magic/skill they could use, but vision let them use them all once their learned, so the class only affect what passive you have, which have somewhat limited impact. It also change the weapon you use, but they don't have that much difference, and spamming attack is always what you should do. You can also equip accessory which give you access to more move/magic or boost stats, but every characters learn all the moves they'll need, so there's almost no reason not to just use stats boosting one. The only things you gotta consider is what element to bring to a fight since character only have a limited number of move available in fight, but there's not really any way to know what the next boss will be weak to, so its not really something to consider for the most part. It's functional if you want flashy visual, but there's just not much more to it and feel like a step back from Trial.

Story start out somewhat interesting, essentially every 4 year every region has to send a human sacrifice to keep the world from falling into ruin. Unfortunately they don't really do anything with it, most of it is just about meeting the various human sacrifice, learning their backstory and fixing their problem, which aren't very interesting. Again, this is for kid and it'll work for someone who has had very little exposure to fantasy tropes. The game also has character constantly repeat everything, gotta make sure kid with short attention spam gets the message. Its a bit of a shame because the mana franchise always had a bit of a melancholic spin on the usual story tropes, with death being consider more of a natural part of life with often theme of rebirth, a story about sacrifice woul dhave fitted really well.

So not a terrible game, but toward the bottom of the mana franchise without anything to really make it stand out. Legend of mana gameplay is worse, but it has really interesting story structure and great 2D artwork. Trial of mana has more inetersting gameplay and party planning. Secret of mana gameplay was better, relative to other game around that time. Secret of evermore has a weirder setting and a lovable puppy. Vision just... doesn't really have anything, it lacked vision /rimshoot.

That explains some of the problems with the game.

I played some Prodeus after not touching it since March. I've beaten the game before on Switch, but I am playing the PS5 version.

I am giving Astro's Playroom a shot since it's for free, and never played it before.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Tent was too big after I had changed it as Mumbo, allowing me only to become the big T-rex. Had to go back to Mumbo's house and get him again, shrink the tent again, go back to Mumbo's house once more to play as Banjo and Kazooie again and then go to the tent a third time to become the small T-rex.

I preferred the simplicity of the first game. Sequel is too big.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Playing Creature in the Well.

It's a hacky/slashy take on pinball that has you dashing around turrets and other obstacles while whacking orbs of energy into bumpers to rack up energy points, which you then funnel into doors to unlock the next room; rinse and repeat.

You're a robot rebooting a big ole machine meant to rekindle a dead or dying civilization, which is as broad and standard as the indie apocalypse gets, but the game derives a fair bit of personality from the titular Creature in the Well, which lurks around the many pits of the temple and hoists itself on two gigantic skeletal arms while peering from the dark. I think its eerie presence and the dialogue really sell very well the idea of something ancient, not necessarily evil, that is mostly just annoyed at you. Come think of it's one of those rare instances where you spend the whole game fighting a single enemy, rather than having to fight your way to them by the end. Makes things feel a little more personal.

My only problem with the game is that it's maybe too easy and you have way too much leeway in gaming something that should be as restrictive as a pinball board. You can hold down the charge attack button and it will shield you indefinitely from enemy projectiles; press attack and you can immediately redirect them towards targets. You're also free to dash around the room and get as close or far away from your target as you want. Game gets a bit more interesting during the boss fights with the creature and whenever the bumpers are on a timer and you're supposed to find the right angle to light up all targets on a rebound.

Oh, I like the cel shaded comic book look for a change. Feels like most indies I play these days are either hand-drawn or have pixel graphics.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I picked up Fields of Glory: Medieval and Fields of Glory: Kingdoms recently.

FOG:M is a turn-based battle simulator. It rests on the principle of breaking up and routing your opponent more than slaughtering them, and has European and Middle Eastern army lists running from about 1000 AD to 1450 AD. However, it appears to have gone a bit "Paradoxy". By which I mean you can pick up the base game for free, except it doesn't have much in it so you'll need to buy a zillion expansions. I'm also a little bit suspicious about the army lists, which feel rather quantity over quality. This is possibly not unreasonable as medieval armies were maybe a little more homogenous than the ancient world, but still feels underwhelming.

I have some concerns because looking at how some of the army lists work and how the battle mechanics work, some of those army lists look like they are doomed to lose: their armies have no meaningful way of countering some opponents.

So far, via the procedural battle generator, I have witnessed some of these failings in action. You may be aware of the famous use of longbows by the English, and that they usefully contributed to some major victories. In game, they are utter trash. Archery in FOG works by attempting to disrupt formations so that the melee troops have an advantage when the battle lines connect. All very reasonable, because that's how they did work - forget those notions of massed archery slaughtering everyone. Unfortunately, what happens is that you sleet the preverbial storm of arrows into the enemy, and almost never achieving the disruption result. This causes English armies a massive problem because half the army are archers who get rapidly trashed in melee: once the enemy melee troops arrive they effortless crush the longbowmen and swamp the remaining melee troops. They have two designed "Grand Battles" (Crecy and Agincourt) where they avoid this by giving the longbowmen defensive positions, but outside these individually-designed battles they just don't work at all.

FOG:K is a bit like Crusader Kings 2 with less dynastic stuff, or perhaps Europa Universalis 1050-1250. You know the drill. It's turn-based, but orders are issued and carried out simultaneously. I could almost like it, except that pretty much every part of it works not quite as well as its better-funded Paradox equivalents. What really staggers me is the genuinely absurd building system. This is a travesty of literally hundreds and hundreds of different buildings to put in your regions, many effectively replicating functions, producing goods that are required to make/subsidise other buildings as part of a trade/bonus system that is eye-bogglingly overcomplicated. Oh, and you can't properly choose the buildings you want, either: it gives you a choice of 6, which you can expand to choose from about 30 by expending a form of influence ("Authority"). In principle, it's actually quite a nice idea: after all, medieval kings did not exercise tight control of their nations, but could get a few specific things (mostly castles, it seems) done by deliberate order. In terms of the game, it just feels like a mess.

Just to give an idea of the insane bloat here, they have separated out cattle, pigs, poultry, despite them being pretty much functionally identical producing food and livestock. I get separating sheep at least (because wool). Then there's what feels like pointless buildings: build a butcher, turn your livestock into gold, but really, this is not interesting. Build a giant field, no particular use, except you can get a level 2 cattle ranch. Why not just skip the field straight to the level 2 cattle ranch? I can build apiaries to get wax to supply candle factories and maybe those candles do something, but honestly I'd rather none of them existed because it's just tedious, fiddly trash.

I'd also like more constraints on development. I can fill some of the most desolate, inhospitable mountains at the arse-end of Europe with a plethora of farms which build up a massive population and churn out the finest wonders and art of Europe. Fuck you, Constantinople, Venice and Paris: you could only dream of the wealth, sophistication and glory of Ullapool and Stavanger. I'm aware that technically you can do this in Paradox titles too, but at least it's much harder.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I decided to replay ABZÛ. Sure, there's no real challenge (aside from a couple of areas), but it's such a supremely Zen experience with amazing visuals; swimming through spiraling shoals of fish never gets old, as does hitching a ride on the side of a dolphin. And of course, with the influence of the art director behind Journey, it's a pinnacle of environmental storytelling and presenting plot without dialogue.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Astro's Playroom

Sure I played it when I first got my PS5 but of course the new Astrobot- which I ordered- encouraged me to revisit it to chase some trophies.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Astro's Playroom

Sure I played it when I first got my PS5 but of course the new Astrobot- which I ordered- encouraged me to revisit it to chase some trophies.
I've been enjoying Playroom. I am halfway through the game and play some more later in the evening.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Finished Astro Bot.

It's pretty great... but it could've been better. Which you could say about any game, but in Astro Bot's case there's one magic moment that unfortunately remains just the one. The game consists of 5 galaxies that each have a bunch of worlds and a Boss. Once you beat the Boss you'll meet a bot version of a Playstation character, which will then open a special world that'll allow you to take on that character's attributes to play around, saving more bot versions of the characters from the game that the level is based on. You start with a classic; Ape Escape, and then get more typical ones, like Uncharted and God of War. Pretty much all of these don't change up the gameplay other than giving you an axe to throw or a gun to shoot or a net to catch.

BUT during one of these Boss fights I figured we'd get Aloy only for the game to throw me for a loop and present Loco Roco, and an associated level. Suddenly I was playing a different game, and it was kinda amazing. It's a shame not every post-Boss level was used to recreate an old Sony game like that, though I guess Ape Escape does well enough too. Still, I would've swapped any of those other three levels to see like a Vib Ribbon level.

I also which the game was a little bit harder. There's some pretty harsh challenge levels, but overall the difficulty is rather mild. A bunch of enemy types seemingly can't even kill, only bumping against you and that's it. Most of the others kill you in one hit, but it makes the difficulty a bit inconsistent at times.

There is a Mr. Mosquito reference, so :giggle:. But then there's also references to three David Cage games 🤢.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore (PS2) - Still a great and fun ass fighting game and was actually my first DOA game. The first time I ever played the game was on a friend's Dreamcast. I got the PS2 version real cheap, and it came with the case, manual, and a clean disc. I haven't done story mode and i've just been playing with the bonus modes. Mainly tag team and survival.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Space Marine 2, pretty cool so far, even thought it plays kinda awkward. Like, the ranged combat feels really good, but considering the enemies you're facing, they will always be in melee range and dealing with ranged/melee is tricky. Plus, while shooting feels really good, your shots don't really stun enemies so you have to shoot, dodge then shoot against ranged attackers or take damage. Initially I had a lot of technical issues with it. Mouse pointer would cause huge lag, game crashed, etc. But that was all resolved by rebooting and installing new graphics drivers. So yeah, pretty cool, even though it does have its issues.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yesterday I started a metroidvania called Afterimage and soon realized I kind of don't like metroidvanias. At least not right now, maybe someday again. Because having to re-fight enemies to explore is just... ugh. Probably I'm burnt out after replaying Elden Ring and Prince of Persia Lost Crown and Tales of Kenzara and Crypt Custodian.

But... for some reason I didn't mind it in Crypt Custodian? Maybe it's the lack of jumping. I think I get annoyed when I have to backtrack to explore but there's also enemies respawned that fly around and I have to jump, so it's jumping and getting hit and dammit and I already killed these things I'm just trying to find the door I remember being here... ugh. Same thing happened with Ender Lillies. While in CC and Minishoot Adventures I can just go around and do whatever, fighting or escaping with relative ease.

Other than that I would actually recommend Afterimage to anyone more patient with this sort of thing who like the anime aesthetic where you're playing as an impossibly pretty/girly-doll hero in mysterious world with solid 2D action graphics. I liked that the couple of bosses I found were not health sponges.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yesterday I started a metroidvania called Afterimage and soon realized I kind of don't like metroidvanias. At least not right now, maybe someday again. Because having to re-fight enemies to explore is just... ugh. Probably I'm burnt out after replaying Elden Ring and Prince of Persia Lost Crown and Tales of Kenzara and Crypt Custodian.

But... for some reason I didn't mind it in Crypt Custodian? Maybe it's the lack of jumping. I think I get annoyed when I have to backtrack to explore but there's also enemies respawned that fly around and I have to jump, so it's jumping and getting hit and dammit and I already killed these things I'm just trying to find the door I remember being here... ugh. Same thing happened with Ender Lillies. While in CC and Minishoot Adventures I can just go around and do whatever, fighting or escaping with relative ease.

Other than that I would actually recommend Afterimage to anyone more patient with this sort of thing who like the anime aesthetic where you're playing as an impossibly pretty/girly-doll hero in mysterious world with solid 2D action graphics. I liked that the couple of bosses I found were not health sponges.
Just because there are some games in a genre you really like, doesn't mean you will like all the games in that genre. I really like Binding of Issac, FTL and Risk of Rain, but I don't really like Dead Cells or Rogue Legacy. Those all have roguelike mechanics, but the details are different. I think the reason I don't' really like the later is because of the platforming.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Just because there are some games in a genre you really like, doesn't mean you will like all the games in that genre. I really like Binding of Issac, FTL and Risk of Rain, but I don't really like Dead Cells or Rogue Legacy. Those all have roguelike mechanics, but the details are different. I think the reason I don't' really like the later is because of the platforming.
For sure. Or you can just like something despite genre, or be genre-neutral, the latter of which I think I am with metroidvanias.

I just like examining my reaction to things especially games, I think it's interesting to figure out why something hits us in certain ways.