What are you currently playing?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Creature in the Well, started Stories Untold. Basically clearing my backlog of short, unusual, palate-cleanser indies.

Stories Untold is a sort of first person puzzle-solving text adventure from the blokes that later made Observation (both published by Devolver Digital). Takes the form of four brief episodes themed around '80s scifi/horror. The atmosphere is done very well with very little. Director worked on Alien: Isolation, art by a Stranger Things artist.

The puzzle aspect is extremely elementary as you're basically always following someone's instructions, so it's more about the vibes and the atmosphere and the trippy switcheroos rather than the satisfaction of figuring out solutions to intriguing problems.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I bought the Castlevania Dominus Collection (Switch) just to play the remake version of Haunted Castle. The remake is called Haunted Castle Revisited. For those that don't know, Haunted Castle is just alternate universe retelling of Castlevania I. Except Simon's bride is kidnapped by Dracula. That's the only difference from a story perspective. The game is tough, but much easier than the impossible arcade game. I just find it hilarious that the newest Castlevania is a remake of an old arcade game. M2 out did themselves again.

I managed to beat the game, and level select is unlocked now. I beat it on Normal. Not sure if I want to Hard Mode yet.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Fuck the business man boss in Persona 5, fucker and his army of bullshit minions and their blow themselves up attack. Such bullshit.
I felt the same way.
Still Persona 5 Royale. The Okamura boss fight SUUUUUUCKS! It's just awful and I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed it. The idea is that he sends in four of his henchmen and then you kill them all and he sends in four of the next higher rank. It's all well and good until you get to the big green guys that have a huge amount of health, a ton of resistances, and few weaknesses. It's about that time that you learn that if you don't kill them all quickly and close together they have a tendency (read: certainty) to all run away, upon which Okamura sends in four more with full health and nothing you did previously counts. This happens forever until you turn the game off. There's also a 30 minute time limit on the fight. I understand that the game up until now has been pretty trivial in terms of difficulty and I've toyed with the idea of increasing it myself, but then I remember that difficulty and JRPGs don't mix and just end up being "oh, well I got a string of bad rolls, there goes an hour of progress. Oops."

Oh well, I'm sure I'll beat it tomorrow after I take stock of my options and actually make a strategy, but it's still a bad fight. I honestly considered that the game might be bugged after they all ran away for the third time and the fight kept spinning it's wheels.
It was ok once I actually went back and re-equipped my party for the fight, but it just sucks.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I felt the same way.

It was ok once I actually went back and re-equipped my party for the fight, but it just sucks.
Beat him, doing laundry and using attack down when I was on the single bosses did it. Plus just blocking when the final one blows up since that wiped me before. I don't know why I forgot about attack down.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
EDIT: Oh, and the achievements are janky as hell. Most are delayed, and I still haven't gotten the one for beating the last chapter. Did some research online, and some people are saying their achievements didn't pop until HOURS later. :confused:
The achievement for beating the game popped last night, like 12 hours after I beat the game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Finished Astro Bot, and I did not expect that post-game challenge level. Fucking kicked my ass! Untill I finally kicked its.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So I'm playing Sin & Punishment Star Successor. I kinda like it, but fuck me, it's hard. First proper level is nothing to worry about, but the second level ramps things up significantly and third even more. A thing that always trips me up is that tapping a button does melee but holding that same button shoots, and it's not responsive enough to quickly switch between the two, leading to taking a hit. I wonder if you can remap them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I'm playing Sin & Punishment Star Successor. I kinda like it, but fuck me, it's hard. First proper level is nothing to worry about, but the second level ramps things up significantly and third even more. A thing that always trips me up is that tapping a button does melee but holding that same button shoots, and it's not responsive enough to quickly switch between the two, leading to taking a hit. I wonder if you can remap them.
Yeah, this game is played best with the Wii Mote and Nun-chuck. With the GC controller being the next best option. If I remember correctly, you can remap the controls, but I never did and got used to it.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Three of four divine beasts now abandoned on this replay. I keep quitting them to go exploring again, thinking I'll go back later, because they're just that crappy. Nothing like the old dungeons.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Beat him, doing laundry and using attack down when I was on the single bosses did it. Plus just blocking when the final one blows up since that wiped me before. I don't know why I forgot about attack down.
The best advice I can give anyone playing a Shin Megami Tensei or Persona game, or anything in that vein by Atlus, is that status spells are actually very useful. Don't ignore them, either for your own use or from the enemy.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The best advice I can give anyone playing a Shin Megami Tensei or Persona game, or anything in that vein by Atlus, is that status spells are actually very useful. Don't ignore them, either for your own use or from the enemy.
I tend not too, but for some reason I just forgot about attack down, or didn't think it would effect the bomb or something, I don't know.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did another playthrough of Haunted Castle Revisited. Almost had a 1CC run. I am playing Shadow of the Ninja Reborn. Tough game, but I am getting the hang of the movement controls. It's a much slower paced action platformer. Still faster than Classicvania games, but slower than 2D Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi III. Heads up, if you want save where you last left off on the most recent stage, you have to get a game over, and then quit. Otherwise, if you quit without dying, it does not work. Why would Tengo Project program it this way? That's really dumb. They have some of the weirdest and nonsensical game design decisions.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Merciless difficulty makes most of your attacks deal significantly less damage, but Weakness and Technical hits deal significantly more than usual. If you set it up properly, it's possible to kill enemies even faster than on Normal difficulty, meaning that despite them dealing more damage to you, you're actually going to take less damage overall per fight.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying it without a guide, though, since you have to know all the enemy weaknesses, Technical combos, and that sort of thing all well ahead of time.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Merciless difficulty makes most of your attacks deal significantly less damage, but Weakness and Technical hits deal significantly more than usual. If you set it up properly, it's possible to kill enemies even faster than on Normal difficulty, meaning that despite them dealing more damage to you, you're actually going to take less damage overall per fight.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying it without a guide, though, since you have to know all the enemy weaknesses, Technical combos, and that sort of thing all well ahead of time.
Ahh, during some of my attempts I used stagnant breath to try and reliably do status effects and technicals helped, but it still wasn't reliable against those things.