What are you currently playing?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The friend I borrowed the DVDs said the same thing when he asked me how I liked the show. Firefly is some of the very best TV ever. Outlaw Star was an overall enjoyable fun show, but never strived for anything more really.

Again, if these "interest groups" are influencing video game development and causing games to be made that less gamers like, then how don't they just get completely ignored the second the influenced game comes out and sells less than expected or less than the previous game? Or just maybe the gamer community has changed over time and what sold the best 20 years ago no longer sells the best today? Maybe the gamer community got tied of playing as gravelly voiced white guys with short hair?

How do you know what you think are the best TV shows are really the best TV shows if you don't dip your toes in all the pools?
I am not arguing with you here, I don't want to hijack this thread, let's argue in the TLOU 2 thread. And that goes for everyone.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Outlaw Star was an overall enjoyable fun show, but never strived for anything more really.
Yet it became bigger and more well known than its own home country and own creator. The fans know more about the characters, setting, and world building than the creator! That is what makes it special!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
How do you know what you think are the best TV shows are really the best TV shows if you don't dip your toes in all the pools?
I did back in the day but I just kinda lost interest. It never really was my thing to begin with but just something I'd have on in the back while I would be doing something else.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I did back in the day but I just kinda lost interest. It never really was my thing to begin with but just something I'd have on in the back while I would be doing something else.
Well, back in the day live action TV was pretty shit outside of a few exceptions here and there. Now, there's better stuff on TV than the big screen.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Nah that's gurren lagann style awesome. So over the top and absurd that it goes past being dumb into being epic.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Nah that's gurren lagann style awesome. So over the top and absurd that it goes past being dumb into being epic.
Nah. because Gurren Lagann is aware of how silly the design is and steers into it. It's being so silly that it's awesome. Kind of like Dante from Devil May Cry.

On the other hand Outlaw Star seems to be taking its design completely seriously, which makes it dumb. Kind of like Dante from Devil May Cry...you know, the other one.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I've thought about rewatching Outlaw Star, but I never get around to it. That composer should be making more soundtracks. He also did very fine work for Shadow of the Colossus.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I've thought about rewatching Outlaw Star, but I never get around to it. That composer should be making more soundtracks. He also did very fine work for Shadow of the Colossus.
Huh, really? Did not know that. Just moved SOTC up a couple of notches on my to-buy list.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Outlaw Star is fine, but ship grappling is stupid, and this might be one of the dumbest designs I've ever seen:

View attachment 1257
It's awesome and there is no shame in it. Honest about what it is and what it does. It ain't the best, but I do not give a shit. I've seen dumber ship and mech designs from various anime.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I dabbled with the Observer Redux: Reanimation: The Re-Reckoning:The Demo, that last project that Rudger Hauer worked on before his death.

It's....ok I guess? I dunno, I guess detective games like that just aren't my thing. Got stuck in the starting room for 10 minutes just trying to figure out how to get out. It doesn't really tutorialize much. But also, the different vision modes you have, tech and bio, don't really provide a lot of useful information, and often just have empty stuff to them. Like when in tech-view, lots of items highlight green, but they don't have any actual relevance to the case. I dunno it's just, dull. You start in a murder crime scene, and you find this massive computer system, and various other bits of electronics, that would seem to be highly important in a cyberpunk world, particularly for information gathering. But...no, you just sort of glance at them, then put them down as if they aren't important. Plus the controls are really clunky. It just wasn't all that interesting to me, which is saying a lot, because cyberpunk settings already have a lot of their legwork done for them before hand when it comes to my interest. But this one just doesn't do it for me.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Huh, really? Did not know that. Just moved SOTC up a couple of notches on my to-buy list.
The Bluepoint remake is pretty good IMHO and probably the most accessible version at this point, unless you have a PS3 and would rather get the ICO/SOTC double pack.

The biggest issue I've heard with the remake is some people hate Wanders New Face. I honestly didn't even notice when I was playing it but apparently that's an issue.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I'm currently obsessed with riichi mahjong, so I'm playing Mahjong Soul (browser game / app) very often.
Oh, cool, another mahjong enthusiast. I haven't played online in a while, but I usually use Tenhou, even though it's a bit more basic. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just an active community on a stable client, and Tenhou's always provided that for me.

TBH, I've never heard of Mahjong Soul. What's it like?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I've been playing a Steam early access game called Vagrus because there was a substantial expansion and character development has been beefed up so I thought I'd check it out again.

You can only access a tiny proportion of the world and lots of planned features barely exist with semi-functional placeholders, lacks a lot of polish, won't be finished until well into 2021 if not later, but it could end up one of my favourite RPGs of all time.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I really stink at games much as I love them. I just finished my first play through of Detroit: Become Human. Aaaand I pretty much got everybody killed without happy endings. For anybody. One part seemed broken as I knew what my guy needed to do but I couldn't get the game to give me any any prompts (Trying to have the cop in an evidence room find out where Jericho is located. (video @4:20 you get to pick up the tablet. I could not get the prompt to allow me to do that). It all went horribly south from there. I tried to make another guy a pacifist. Bad move. I tried to save some people and ended up in a recreation of a scene out of Auschwitz. Dark.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I really stink at games much as I love them. I just finished my first play through of Detroit: Become Human. Aaaand I pretty much got everybody killed without happy endings. For anybody. One part seemed broken as I knew what my guy needed to do but I couldn't get the game to give me any any prompts (Trying to have the cop in an evidence room find out where Jericho is located. (video @4:20 you get to pick up the tablet. I could not get the prompt to allow me to do that). It all went horribly south from there. I tried to make another guy a pacifist. Bad move. I tried to save some people and ended up in a recreation of a scene out of Auschwitz. Dark.

I seem to recall doing everything I thought was right and ultimately there was no way to get a good ending with everyone. Like a damned if you do, damned if you don’t conclusion, so I stopped caring by then. I knew things would go south when the main dude’s love interest just seemed to want anarchy while I was trying to keep the peace. What frustrates me about choice based games is when they pull you in two different directions and typically make you feel like you made the wrong choice.

Reactions: gorfias