What are your E3 2019 wishlist?

Apr 5, 2008
Cyberpunk 2077. That's pretty much it. I was excited about VTM: Bloodlines 2, but I've heard a lot of disturbing rumours that it's going to be social-justiced up the wazoo. I suppose I'd still be interested in learning more, but I think the announcement trailer is really all there is of that project right now and we've already got that. Maybe more info on BL3 also. Enjoyed the first two so it's worth keeping an eye on.

Sonmi said:
Dragon's Dogma 2
Until you said it, I didn't realise how much I wanted it. I would fly to LA/Japan to give Capcom my money in person if they announced that.
Sonmi said:
Bioware goes back to its roots, does a new KOTOR, or a sequel to Jade Empire
Sadly won't happen. Firstly tho, their roots are really the Infinity Engine games; that's where they made their reputation (just sayin') 😎 A second point, we've discussed this on the Escapist before....would you want Nu-BioWare (the wholly-owned EA subsidiary) to revisit the games Old-BioWare made (the company we remember fondly)? They're different studios now and personally, in the current gaming climate, I no longer believe Nu-BioWare are capable of making a game as good as KotOR/JE/ME/DA:O. EA will demand lootboxes, microtransactions, games as service, monetisation, season passes, Day 1 DLC, roadmaps and engagement strategies, multiplayer, Origin only, etc, etc. At this point, unless CDProjeckt or an Indie dev won the IP and made a new game, I think any new entry will only tarnish the originals. Jade Empire 2 would be likely be another Andromeda.
Sonmi said:
Oh yeah, and the Elder Scrolls VI as well
Well yeah, obviously. But sadly no :-(

Asita said:
Mmm...it would take a lot to get me excited about a Mass Effect remaster simply because there are so many things I'd want them to fix, ranging from fixing ME1's inventory system (which is about on par with Skyrim's) to practically overhauling the story.
That's not really in the scope of a "remaster". The most basic remaster is a case of someone opening the game's code in the toolset, and re-exporting it for the new console platform. That's it. All players seem to be after is playing the OT on the current gen. A better remaster will also take the time to fix longstanding bugs, update graphics and *maybe* on the absolute outside, make minor tweaks to remove mistakes or restore/flesh out cut-content, but that last is very rare.

At this point, a remaster isn't worth it. Current gen is in its twilight years and by 2021 we'll see XBox Fours and PS5s. Better to just wait and do it then. Or just get a PC...we can still play games from the 90s. In fact, the Mass Effect trilogy hasn't left my hard drive since I first installed it on release. Last point tho, while the X360 was based on the PowerPC and PS3 had the diabolical "cell architecture", the OT on PC is obviously X86, the same architecture as the XBone and PS4. They already have a working codebase for the current gen consoles.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Cyberpunk 2077 for sure. I would have said The Outer Worlds as well, but they went Epic Store exclusive so I'm not paying them any attention until they release on Steam. Ditto Bordlerlands 3.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
KingsGambit said:
I was excited about VTM: Bloodlines 2, but I've heard a lot of disturbing rumours that it's going to be social-justiced up the wazoo. I suppose I'd still be interested in learning more, but I think the announcement trailer is really all there is of that project right now and we've already got that.
Most of the hubbub about Bloodlines is just shit stirring by the usual suspects. The devs said that there won't be any punching down, and that some political opinions might be expressed, but that's par for the course for Bloodlines, there was no punching down in the original, and the game made political jokes at the expense of Republicans here and there.

The writer that's mostly being fingered as the one that could make Bloodlines 2 "SJW-y" did say in the past that the original, while an absolute masterpiece, was in parts problematic, and in all honesty, I can kind of agree. I mean, I wouldn't change anything about the game, but the Kuei Jin are 100% Yellow Peril, and the Chinatown segment of the game is one long problematic (but enjoyable as far as I am concerned) stereotype.

KingsGambit said:
Sonmi said:
Dragon's Dogma 2
Until you said it, I didn't realise how much I wanted it. I would fly to LA/Japan to give Capcom my money in person if they announced that.
If I recall correctly, Itsuno stated that he was given the choice by Capcom between developing DMC5 and a sequel to Dragons Dogma, he was extremely eager for either project. Now that DMC5 is out, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom announced DD2 was in the works with Itsuno at the helm, but I think it's still too early for us to get any sort of promotional material for it, let alone any gameplay.

KingsGambit said:
Sonmi said:
Bioware goes back to its roots, does a new KOTOR, or a sequel to Jade Empire
Sadly won't happen. Firstly tho, their roots are really the Infinity Engine games; that's where they made their reputation (just sayin') 😎 A second point, we've discussed this on the Escapist before....would you want Nu-BioWare (the wholly-owned EA subsidiary) to revisit the games Old-BioWare made (the company we remember fondly)? They're different studios now and personally, in the current gaming climate, I no longer believe Nu-BioWare are capable of making a game as good as KotOR/JE/ME/DA:O. EA will demand lootboxes, microtransactions, games as service, monetisation, season passes, Day 1 DLC, roadmaps and engagement strategies, multiplayer, Origin only, etc, etc. At this point, unless CDProjeckt or an Indie dev won the IP and made a new game, I think any new entry will only tarnish the originals. Jade Empire 2 would be likely be another Andromeda.
You're likely 100% right, but a man can dream.

KingsGambit said:
Well yeah, obviously. But sadly no :-(
Maaaaaaaaan... fuck Todd and fuck Bethesda.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
KingsGambit said:
Asita said:
Mmm...it would take a lot to get me excited about a Mass Effect remaster simply because there are so many things I'd want them to fix, ranging from fixing ME1's inventory system (which is about on par with Skyrim's) to practically overhauling the story.
That's not really in the scope of a "remaster". The most basic remaster is a case of someone opening the game's code in the toolset, and re-exporting it for the new console platform. That's it. All players seem to be after is playing the OT on the current gen. A better remaster will also take the time to fix longstanding bugs, update graphics and *maybe* on the absolute outside, make minor tweaks to remove mistakes or restore/flesh out cut-content, but that last is very rare.

At this point, a remaster isn't worth it. Current gen is in its twilight years and by 2021 we'll see XBox Fours and PS5s. Better to just wait and do it then. Or just get a PC...we can still play games from the 90s. In fact, the Mass Effect trilogy hasn't left my hard drive since I first installed it on release. Last point tho, while the X360 was based on the PowerPC and PS3 had the diabolical "cell architecture", the OT on PC is obviously X86, the same architecture as the XBone and PS4. They already have a working codebase for the current gen consoles.
Hence my saying that it would take a lot to get me excited about a remaster and that the parts that would pique my interest were "more ambitious than they'd want to commit to". Ie, the standard remaster fare would have minimal impact, and the stuff that would make me interested is better described as a few overhauls (or even a remake) rather than a remaster. Granted, I probably phrased that poorly the first time around.

Apr 5, 2008
Neurotic Void Melody said:
one wish, one vision, one fried chicken...and that is for Ubisoft to come out and admit that the Beyond Good and Evil "live service" se..uhh, prequel was all just a long-term April fool's prank that neither started nor finished on April fool's day for whatever European reason, then they reveal the actual single-player version instead and we all cry "ohhh Ubisoft" in unison before collapsing in floods of friendly laughter making everything sort of ok again
That would be great. Is it really a live service *blegh* thing!? I remember BG&E fondly, I really loved the characters, Jade was so great. I'm seriously disappointed that we don't play as her and worse, a rumour she may even be
the villain! 😭
After the ending, they set her up in a really great place to explore the larger galax and fight the good fight. Maybe they didn't know what to do with her after she hit that Jedi Master Zen level at the end there.

I'm more worried that they'll make it a generic The Ubisoft Game(TM), like AssCreed/Far Cry; sandbox with generic copy/paste "content".

Apr 5, 2008
Sonmi said:
KingsGambit said:
Sonmi said:
Dragon's Dogma 2
If I recall correctly, Itsuno stated that he was given the choice by Capcom between developing DMC5 and a sequel to Dragons Dogma, he was extremely eager for either project. Now that DMC5 is out, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom announced DD2 was in the works with Itsuno at the helm, but I think it's still too early for us to get any sort of promotional material for it, let alone any gameplay.
What!? "There but for the grace of god." :-( We really came that close to a sequel? :-(

I have nothing but positive things to say about that game. I cannot believe how much depth it had for a first entry in a wholly new "franchise" as it were. Trying to explain to people about pawn inclinations, how the length of the characters legs affected their stride and whether lamps went out in knee high water. The monster fighting, the darkness, the levelling up and character builds. It was so deep and polished, the pawn system was utterly brilliant and unique. I made mine an uber-tank and pimped her out in the Rift for so many crystals. I think she was the only female character in actual armour, that wasn't a child or practically nekkid.

I remember playing it in depth. I even upgraded to an HDTV when I got tired of being unable to read the small print and make out icons. I did the Speed Run challenge, after reading all the strategies and tactically placing my teleport stones. The funniest part for me tho was when facing the dragon and he reveals the player's "True Love" who we then have to rescue. My PC was a a tall, muscular man, dressed in the Golden Lion set. I went with a golden theme so burnished golden hair and beard, bright golden eyes and face markings. I thought/hoped my True Love would be the Princess so I was all ready to whoop the dragon hard. When the reveal came tho, it was....the Gran Soren blacksmith. Turned out my true love was the burly, mustachioed gent in the apron I'd been selling all my ill-gotten gains to throughout the game. It was one of the funniest and most memorable moments in gaming and I love DD for it.

Grigori didn't live long enough to regret harming my dearest blacksmith. I can't actually remember his name now, but whatever, it was true love.

PS. Magick Archer for the win.
PPS. The biggest issue i had with the game was that NG+ had no scaling of any kind. Literally none. Either start a new game, or have zero challenge. :-(

Sonmi said:
Maaaaaaaaan... fuck Todd and fuck Bethesda.
Maybe they'll announce a paid expansion for Fallout 76.....