What are your hobbies, other than gaming?

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Playing the piano and jamming at a bluesbar in my city where there are instruments for everyone to use :D. I also teach Kokodo Jujutsu. Seeing that my brother and I share a flat together, I use some of my time to come up with diabolical plans to prank him. Because growing up is for losers xD

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Some of my other hobbies include video making, playing around with Flash, watching anime, and baking.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
What are these hobbies you speak of? are they something to do with that thing my parents speak of?? "real life" I think they called it.
No I have hobbies like Fencing, Drawing, Reading, Hiking with friends (when they can be bothered), Film watching. Average stuff really.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
programming and designing games
SCIENCE(Its a hobby ok)
Movies
Camping
and poking at adobe flash CS5 trying to learn more about it, one day i will make a game in flash one day...

to elaborate how i have science as a hobby well I do research experiments from time to time basic things but they're useful to stop me from getting bored

Xifel

Nov 28, 2007
- Cooking
- Photography
- Inventing useless machines
- Knitting
- Skydiving (only done it a few times though)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Well other than the obvious (gaming) I have a few such as...

http://enmadaio2588.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d2ik810

Collecting games. Not necessarily playing them but I'm trying to build a collection. At the moment I have Shaq-Fu on the SNES but my best piece (favorite anyway) is a near-complete Final Fantasy Mystic Quest with original box and map. I also have a complete Dr. Mario (box, manual, dust-sleeve). Also have a Virtual Boy which is like a son to me! With that I've got Mario's Tennis and, Teleroboxer (complete: bought new but opened)

gaming as in D&D and board games. Still looking for Crossfire too, dammit.

Comics (marvel/ DC)

Anime (MUST SEE YOKAI WATCH)

Manga (not as much as western comics at this point)

Models (mostly Gundam)

reading (love Pratchett)

Fooding (eating exotic foods. The most exotic to date probably being whole baby octopus. Also I love spam unlike what's-his-name from Bizarre Foods or whatever that show is called)

I'm also getting interested in restoring older games...I haven't even tried yet but I have a few carts that could use a cleaning and I have a couple of doubles that I want to take apart and poke at. This probably won't turn into anything substantial but it's still something and probably better than the above self-promotion (which I hope doesn't get me band and I apologize for in advance)

The Task Master

Apr 10, 2012
I enjoy fishing, the calm mornings, brisk air and the company of my family are all i need every now and then. The best part is the five minutes you fight a fish and you feel a rush of excitement at the thought of the first catch of the day. In between casting and reeling in the line I practice line knots and try to figure out new ways to keep the bait on the hook ha ha. Its a relaxing hobby other than video games.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
I am a fan of literature and History mostly

I also enjoy the odd cloud-watching from time to time followed by some deep day-dreaming

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Dejanus said:
Liquidacid23 said:
firearms, drinking, and sex.... the classic American trifecta
I am a bit of a gun nut myself.

Without going into too much detail, my favorite piece is likely the 1938 Mosin Nagant rifle I got through a specialty retailer last year. Great condition, shoots like a dream. Been trying to find a good surplus bayonet for it, but its hard to find an authentic one.
Do take the bayonet off for target shooting, unless you want the challenge. It weighs the tip down awfully.

OT: The collecting of hats and war stuff (mostly weapons) dog training, shooting (being British, I just have a double barrel shotgun, but it's a very good one. My uncle has a semi-automatic that is fucking Godly) singing and dancing to rock music (when alone, with the blinds down) whittling, for a brief time. Occasionally drawing. I need to put more time into that.

Like you, I'm also a writer. All I've gotten into publication so far is a book of Yorkshire folklore converted into very short stories. It's experienced complications, but I still call it a success. Now I'm working on a full blown novel that I think has epic potential, though it's on hold now as I have exams coming up. I used to sword fight, but it's been some time.

There's also a video somewhere of me being thrown through a thin wall of plaster, sitting up and going "that was awesome!" but I wouldn't call it a hobby.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
I do a lot of this:
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/77968810@N04/7064674595/]

And a little photography and tons of history research. I enjoy it all.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Listening to music (this is a much bigger part of my life than gaming, I have something like 13500-14000 songs on my iPod). This is definitely the biggest one.

Playing the guitar/piano.

I enjoy drawing from time to time, although I'm not very good at it. Same with digital space art.

I don't read as much as I used to/wish I did. I really need to get back into it.

I hopefully want to get into writing. Although maybe I should start the above first before doing that.

I also enjoy astronomy, although I'm not very knowledgeable on it, but it is something I want to get more into as an amateur.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Not much I'm afraid to admit. I'd like to think I've got a lot going on, but realistically I don't. I play the guitar and on Fridays I play squash with a couple of friends, but that's about it.

The Task Master

Apr 10, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
The Task Master said:
I enjoy fishing, the calm mornings, brisk air and the company of my family are all i need every now and then. The best part is the five minutes you fight a fish and you feel a rush of excitement at the thought of the first catch of the day. In between casting and reeling in the line I practice line knots and try to figure out new ways to keep the bait on the hook ha ha. Its a relaxing hobby other than video games.
Same here, I love going fishing. There was a time awhile ago- where me and my Dad would go fishing in Big Bear. Only happens every so often, maybe every summer if we get lucky. There was a particular spot where we'd fish and catch a ton of cat fish, seriously. We'd let them go though, because they taste awful. I'm not even lying, cooking pregnant cat fish that are as small as your forearm aren't worth it.

But I get the impression you've giving off with fishing so early in the mornings. It's great and refreshing.. we seem to have quite a bit in common. Also, I really am digging your Avatar. Such quality.. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Thanks I guess... never met a cat fish i couldn't eat, but i get your point. I love gaming as much as the next guy, but everyone needs time away from the screen. I like to work out and pick up a good book like Heart of Darkness, or Frankenstein one of the classics.

ChippedShoulder

Nov 10, 2010
Guitar, if I wasn't still in school it would take up most of my free time. I enjoy the occasional bout of creative writing when the mood takes me too. These usually end up being the base for songs for my band :D

GmonXyZ

Mar 3, 2012
I like to learn and program scripts and applications dealing with architectural design of game engines.

And i'm learning how to draw by hand and some 3D modeling.

Besides that, i sometimes try to finish reading a book.

bruunwald

Feb 26, 2010
I just wanted to stop by to praise the OP for knowing the difference between "than" and "then."

Thanks!

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Guitar
Drums
Piano
Smoking some weed every now and then
Reading... like a lot. Whether its a book or on the internet
Cooking
Building PCs for people

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
im a music collector as well as a game collector. hundreds of CD's (and used to have cassette tapes but who uses those anymore?)

i'm also an amateur game developer currently in college for a degree in computer programming. you can find my lame works here [http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/users/death]

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Gaming and TV and thats it. I tried reading for a while but decided its not for me. I was gonna read the entire Wheel of time but I got half way through 'The magician' and never even started the 1st WoT. I was gonna read comics instead but changed my mind when I found out the are so short and also cos digital comics are a bit of a pain to read but they are way cheaper than paper ones. Its also kinda weird how Marvel is like 23000 times cheaper than DC cos they have that unlimited subscription thing.

oh and sometimes I get bored and review TV shows, if that counts as a hobby, even though I'm really bad at it. I mainly review bad ones to vent and cos its much easy to describe why something is bad than why something is good.