What are your thoughts on Bioware?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Recently, Bioware finally hosted the Anthem live stream that was promised. The original live stream was scheduled about a week ago, but when the scheduled time came they were having technical difficulties. In their own words, they said it was "A fiber line was cut somewhere". Now, I am no electrical expert, but I questioned if a cut in network cable is enough of a problem to delay the live stream for a week

So how did the live stream turned out? Kinda shit. The chat had SHIT TON of questions regarding the gameplay, loots, and future of Anthem. They were completely dismissive of the questions, and continued on with the cringy-ass stream. Just around the same time, Bioware also released the following statement on Anthem subreddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/bgkgl3/update_on_anthem_from_the_development_team/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
TL;DR
Delay on pretty much the entire roadmap of contents.

This, of course, is not sitting well with the little player base that is left.

So, based on everything that has happened so far with Anthem, what are your thoughts on
1. Do you think EA will axe Bioware?
2. Would you be mad if not upset if it happens (Think of when visceral closed)?
3. Is there any chance for Bioware to redeem?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
1. Yes. They will be missed.
2. Not really, but I despise EA either way. I do miss Visceral.
3. There is nothing to "redeem". Most of the real talent either left or got fired a long time ago.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
SupahEwok said:
They're dead, Jim.
Shit, that's the joke I was going to use.

Bioware's already fucking dead. The people who made the good games are gone and the remaining staff are making EA compromised shit.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Bioware is a zombie studio at this point. It may still carry the name but it's a shambling corpse of what it was years ago. Even if they still had the old talent working there(which they don't), EA does what EA does and forces them to make games the way EA wants them to before the sales dry up and they kill the studio for good before locking the IP in the vault until the end of time.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
They always suck. Thats my thoughts. Mass effect trilogy was one of the most overrated games of last gen. Just mediocre cover shooters. Now they are getting hate they deserve. Remember dragon age 2 fisaco.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Silentpony said:
They'll be missed. Always wanted a remastered ME trilogy...sad to see them go.
Just because Bioware is going doesn't mean Mass Effect is as well. EA still own the rights and if Command And Conquer is getting a remaster I'm sure Mass Effect will as well.

Also not sad to see them go myself. They've been rubbish since EA bought them and there's a notable shift in quality between Mass Effect and any game made afterwards.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
1. Bioware getting dismantled seems likely at this point.
2. No, I like some of their games, but I've never had any kind of loyalty or attachment to them.
3. If by redeem you mean once again become what they were, then no. They might reinvent themselves as something different but good in its own right, but the chance of that happening feels slim.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
1. Do you think EA will axe Bioware? - Outside of a Hail Mary pass, inevitable at this stage.

2. Would you be mad if not upset if it happens (Think of when visceral closed)? - Very much so, DragonAge and Mass Effect are some of the best IPs of the last generation.

3. Is there any chance for Bioware to redeem? - DragonAge 4 is the only chance they'd have at that, but the odds of that working out are astronomical at best.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
"Bioware" is nought much more than a brand name really. it's not worth getting emotionally invested in. I've enjoyed their output maybe more than the average bear, but the individuals are the heavy lifters, not the name. and those individuals are ever-changing. there are actual tangible/real things to worry about losing in this sordid existence that aren't some corporation's colourful petals presenting themselves towards our relentless lust as something familiar and friendly. been through this with rareware a long whiles ago anyway, it was a handy vaccine like all of life's learning curves. those individuals will be repurposed into other duties and inevitably put through more periods of mentally draining "crunch" all the while consumers will be feeling the real feels towards a corporate name going away instead. weird humans

then again, I felt the same absence of emotion at the Notre Dame burning, so it's possible some psychopathy might be going on. it's just a building that will be rebuilt though, not a conscious feeling being gone forever

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I kinda hope EA does axe them. Maybe then, just fuckin' maybe, people will finally wake up and stop buying EA products. They keep doing the same thing over and over again, and dumb fuckin' gamers keep thinking that this time it will be different, they said so, they know better now. But the cycle continues.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
1. At some point. Dragon Age 4 might happen, but I don't think that's guaranteed. EA's cancelled games before.

2. Not really. I don't have any particular love (or hate) for BioWare. It'll suck in terms of principle, but I wouldn't be personally affected so much.

3. Well, yeah. Technically. But I think "redeem" is a loaded term - there's technically nothing to "redeem," it's just a case of releasing games that get better reception.

Mar 30, 2010
Basically the made a (deserved) name for themselves in the late 90s/early 00s, then sat back and rested on their laurels. They relied on their name, rather than the quality of their products, to sell copies, and as a result that name slowly tarnished. Back in the day the name 'Bioware' flagged a game as a potential purchase for me, whereas now it's almost the exact opposite - the name 'Bioware' is now a turn-off.

That's just my take on them though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think Bioware is still too big of a name for EA to just take behind the shed. And IPs like Mass Effect and Dragon Age will still make them money on fan loyalty alone, and who else are they going to get to make these games? I'm predicting EA will keep Bioware around for as long as they can still squirt out Mass Effect's and Dragon Age's, and once that well is dry they'll probably take on in the back of the head.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The only way for Bioware to redeem itself would be by cutting ties with EA, rehiring their old talent and getting their management in order. It's clear EA only cares about Bioware as a brand-name, and the latter's head will be chopped once the brand isn't enough to sell games.