What are your top 10 Game of Decade (starting from 2010 to onwards)

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Silentpony said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Here?s a scrounged together tentative list based only on what I?ve played, followed by what I?ve yet to play or started playing that could possibly supplant a few of the former entries:

Played:
God of War 3
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2: SotFS
Bloodborne
Horizon: Zero Dawn
A Wolf Among Us
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Darksiders
Journey

Started:
MGSV
The Witcher 3: Complete Edition
Shadowrun Returns
Deus Ex: HR Director?s Cut

Yet to Start:
Dark Souls 3
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
STALKER: CoP
How would you rate the God of war series? I've never played any of them, mostly because until now I didn't have a console they were on. I played Dante's Inferno and loved it. I assume GoW is basically that, but Greek?
What did you like about Dante?s Inferno? If it was the general gameplay style then you?d probably take to the God of War series well. As for story they both delve in tragedy, and although GoW?s does wear thin after so many sequels and spinoffs, as does Kratos? anger shtick, it?s often offset by some quirky, sometimes dark/twisted humor.

Where it excels most is how the elements of combat, platforming and puzzling often flow nicely into one another. Then there are of course the often epic, always brutal boss battles. The chain blades are made for hack n slash, and their regular extension to the other two gameplay pillars feels natural. The way the main three entries were chained (no pun) together makes it a good trilogy to marathon.

Funny thing is that DI was released like a month before GoW3 and the inevitable comparisons and clone calls were made, but I think the stories and design were distinct enough that each IP could stand on their own. It would?ve been cool to see another DI, but it also worked well as a self-contained story. I?d be surprised if there were legit plans for another one.

But yeah, chances are you?ll find God of War to be a fun romp. Start with the main three, and if you like them the handheld spinoffs were also remastered for PS3 and play pretty damn close to the rest. Ascension probably shouldn?t have been made, but it still had its moments. The multiplayer was surprisingly well done too, but not sure how active it is anymore.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Oh man, that's hard. Depending on my mood, this list could shift significantly. I didn't realize how many good games have come out lately.

Honorable Mentions: Far Cry 3, GTA 5, Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood/Black Flag, Skyrim, Undertale, and The Witcher 3

10) Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Allowed you to actually be stealthy, but kept up the quick pace of Conviction.

9) Max Payne 3
Probably the most unintentionally hilarious game I've ever played, plus the excellent shootey bits.

8) Batman: Arkham Asylum
Excellent combat, great environment, brilliant Scarecrow sections, and garbage boss fights.

7) Spec Ops: The Line
Solid, well-executed story, gameplay that's more enjoyable than most military FPSs.

6) Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition
Fun and challenging, which makes it satisfying when you beat a hard boss.

5) Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Best implementation of the Arkham combat style and the Nemesis system means you spend a lot of time telling your own story.

4) Total War: Shogun 2
It's a Total War game and it's really good and also the only one from the 2010's that I own.

3) Bastion
Excellent combat albeit with the problem that certain combinations are OP, plus a great story framework and excellent voice acting

2) Hitman
They finally remembered why Hitman: Blood Money was good and did something similar to that, while keeping the smoother movement from Absolution.

1) Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Arcadey shooting, graphics that have held up incredibly well over the years, and an excellent mix of story and gameplay.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
3. Halo Reach
Best Halo game by far, with the best Multiplayer.
That is definitely almost the opposite of my opinion. I liked the story, but the multiplayer was garbage compared to 3 and 2. The random element that came with bloom, the abominably slow move speed and jump height, the ridiculous grenade radius, the poorly placed BTB spawn points, the bland palette that comes from making all the maps in Forge, etc.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
Kerg3927 said:
I thought Geralt was cool as fuck as a character. He's the Polish Clint Eastwood...

You have two options. Wait until I leave and try to murder Abigail... but then I'll come back. I'll slay every lice-ridden peasant... anything that moves and can't climb a tree. Or you can try to live honorable lives, clear your conscience, and start again. The choice is yours.
See I never liked Clint Eastwood. He always seemed like a parody of himself, rather than a true badass. More Leslie Neilson and less Schwarzenegger. Movies like Good/Bad/Ugly or Dirty Hairy I just can't take a single line of his dialogue seriously.

The only movie of his I liked was Gran Torino, and that's because it was a deliberate deconstruction of a war-hero trying to get over his PTSD and racism, and he's specifically not a huge, macho 'take on all comers' guy.
For me, that's kind of the fun of Clint Eastwood. He's ridiculous if you take him at face value, but I like parodies, so I just pretend he's parodying himself.

Feb 26, 2014
Well, in no particular order:

1. Arkham Series - I'm just going to put these together, despite the fact that Asylum came out in 2009. I've had a lot of fun beating on the mentally ill and less fortunate while playing as the most privileged of white boys. Arkham City is my favorite of the series, but all of the games have a special place in my heart. Now if only Rocksteady would make a Nightwing game.

2. Horizon Zero Dawn - I get to fight robot dinosaurs. I'm not entirely sure what else there is to say.

3. Shadow of Mordor - The story isn't anything special and the combat is ripped straight out of Batman, but the Nemesis System is a lot of fun to mess around with. I kind of wish the orcs were a little more difficult to take down.

4. Bulletstorm - I'm not much into shooters, but Bulletstorm was a fun game. Story wasn't all that interesting, but the weapons were fun to use and the the game encouraged killing enemies in unique ways.

5. Monster Hunter World - I've only had the game for like a week and I've had a blast with it! Taking on the various monsters, taking advantage of their weaknesses and smashing their heads in, or in my case filling them with arrows. This game is just so charming and the Palico are so adorable.

6. Transformers War for/Fall of Cybertron - I love Transformers. That is all. P.S. Fuck Michael Bay

7. Mark of the Ninja - I like stealth games. I like 2D side-scrollers. Combine them and you've got a fun game with a nice art style and decent controls.

8. Gundam Breaker 3 - The game isn't even that good, but I get to build my own giant robot! I'm a sucker for character creators and I'm sure most of my time with the game has been spent fiddling with parts and changing colors.

9. Kingdom Hearts 3 - It's guaranteed at this point. I wont even try to lie to myself.

10. Final Fantasy XV - It's heavily flawed, incomplete even, but a lot of fun to play. I enjoyed the story, the gameplay, and even the side-crap like fishing. I had a good time with it, and in the end that's all that matters.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
mrdude2010 said:
Silentpony said:
Kerg3927 said:
I thought Geralt was cool as fuck as a character. He's the Polish Clint Eastwood...

You have two options. Wait until I leave and try to murder Abigail... but then I'll come back. I'll slay every lice-ridden peasant... anything that moves and can't climb a tree. Or you can try to live honorable lives, clear your conscience, and start again. The choice is yours.
See I never liked Clint Eastwood. He always seemed like a parody of himself, rather than a true badass. More Leslie Neilson and less Schwarzenegger. Movies like Good/Bad/Ugly or Dirty Hairy I just can't take a single line of his dialogue seriously.

The only movie of his I liked was Gran Torino, and that's because it was a deliberate deconstruction of a war-hero trying to get over his PTSD and racism, and he's specifically not a huge, macho 'take on all comers' guy.
For me, that's kind of the fun of Clint Eastwood. He's ridiculous if you take him at face value, but I like parodies, so I just pretend he's parodying himself.

Is he really though, or is it that his work has been exploited by the constant barrage of memes and impersonations over the course of his career, because people?s admiration is often nothing if not excessive.

I understand why it happens, but I think it?s really just an unpleasant side effect of that level of fame. It?s like Elvis impersonators. They may mean well, but Johnny Carson had a good line when he said, If life was fair, Elvis would still be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Just checked dates and Xenoblade Chronicles just makes the cut on date apparently so that is my choice my other favourite games are either slightly older or way older.

Been plenty of other games I have enjoyed and thought were great the last 7 and counting years but none that really stood out so much I would number them on a list.

At the moment Skyrim VR is standing out to me, game wise its good but like Oblivion only better (and still busted) but experience wise with VR its up there with one of my favourite experiences in gaming. Just not putting it on my best games list because I dont think the game itself without VR would make it on tbh.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Roughly in order:

1) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2) Bloodborne
3) Guild Wars 2
4) Nioh
5) Super Mario Odyssey
6) Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
7) Batman: Arkham City
8) Portal 2
9) Skyrim
10) Amnesia: the Dark Descent

Edit: Oh, and honourable mention to Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
In no particular order;
Dishonored 2, Doom16, Dragons Dogma, Dying Light, (geez, really a D decade isn't it), Monster Hunter World, Arkham City, inFamous 2. Steamworld Heist. New Vegas, Destiny (1.3 or whatever you'd call the final version of the 1st one).

Some runners up in Black Flag, Salt & Sanctuary, Brawlhalla, Mario Odyssey, Saints Row 3/4. Battle Chasers. Hob. Hollow Knight. Horizon. Most of the originals to the sequels listed.

Not actually released yet : Fortnite - Save the World. Oxygen Not Included.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Seth Carter said:
Dishonored 2, Doom16, Dragons Dogma, Dying Light, (geez, really a D decade isn't it),
It's a D decade which I deduce some deem delightful. However, while I decided I desired Diablo III, I found Doom 2016 dreadfully dreary, even as I dismembered demons. Perhaps I am dishonoured by such designations, though with dread, that is perhaps my destiny. Luckily, I am not Dante, as such damnation is not desirable, and my soul is not dark.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Hawki said:
Seth Carter said:
Dishonored 2, Doom16, Dragons Dogma, Dying Light, (geez, really a D decade isn't it),
It's a D decade which I deduce some deem delightful. However, while I decided I desired Diablo III, I found Doom 2016 dreadfully dreary, even as I dismembered demons. Perhaps I am dishonoured by such designations, though with dread, that is perhaps my destiny. Luckily, I am not Dante, as such damnation is not desirable, and my soul is not dark.
My general summary of Diablo 3 was doing two laps through the same generic story watching my guy kill interchangeable indistinct cannon fodder by pressing the same four buttons in the same sequence from start to finish. With a rare hp sponge to slightly delay me, and a boss or two that might require me to actually move out of an extremely telegraphed area occasionally.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I always have difficulty with numbered lists and deciding what goes where, so this list isn't in any particular order. Also this is based on my personal enjoyment in the games, how they affected me on an emotional level and how often I revisit them. I also only list games I've beaten.

Also, my taste can tend to be a bit weird.

Anyway, my top ten games of the decade so far would probably be...

-Mass Effect 2
-NieR: Automata
-Shovel Knight
-Persona 5
-Zelda: Breath of The Wild
-Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Persona 4 Golden(it's a bit of a cheat since the original came out in 2008, but it adds enough new stuff that I think it can count)
-Gravity Rush Remastered
-Hyrule Warriors(yes, I'm serious)

And if this releases before the decade is over it'll likely be on my list.
Man it's been such a long time since I've embedded a YouTube video on this site I almost forgot how to do it.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
CritialGaming said:
1. THE MOTHERFUCKING WITCHER 3! (how the fuck has nobody brought this game up yet. I'm disappointed and ashamed of all of you)
I liked it enough, but in retrospect there really isn't a lot to that game gameplay-wise. The story and writing are good and it looks very pretty, but the gameplay is a clunky mix of Arkham-style counter combat and the Soulsian dodge rolling with the worst inventory management known to man (at one point I got stuck on a main quest because a book I needed to read was on the Key Items screen but not the Books and Letters screen). At the very least it's the best game in The Witcher series.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Silentpony said:
Kerg3927 said:

Right well you need to go and watch Where Eagles Dare, like... yesterday.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Well I do love a list!

No particular order and these aren't "Best" games by any regard just games that I really enjoyed.
I have odd taste...

1) Gravity rush 2:
I think it'll be a game that I come back to a few times. Not enough series are brave enough to have a definitive ending. If they never make another GR game I'll be sad but very happy.....In a weird way.

2) NieR / Automata:
I liked the first one's world and story a bit more than Automata but that could be nostalgia talking.

3) Undertale:

4) Verde Station:
The ending absolutley blew me away.

5) Dark souls:

6) Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice:
Played through it in one sitting I enjoyed the audio tricks so much.

7) Thomas was alone:
Never have I cared more about shapes than I did for Thomas was alone.

8) Pier solar:
A little indie throwback to classic JRPGs. I've played better games of its ilk but it always come to mind.

9) Firewatch:
What a story!

10) This space reserved for Ghost of a tale: when it comes out this year...

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
Hmmm, seems like fun, why not.

In no particular order:

1) Doom 2016

2) Dark Souls

3) Stardew Valley

4) The St Christopher's School Lockdown

5) Dex

6) Shadowrun (All of them)

7) Divinity: Original Sin 1&2

8) King's Quest

9) Dreamfall

10) Deus Ex: Human Revolution & Mankind Divided.

Honourable mentions go to: State of Decay: Year One, Shadow Warrior, West of Loathing and Thimbleweed Park.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
GTA 5

Vermintide

Total War: Warhammer

FarCry 3 and above

Starcraft 2 (Came out in 2010)

Dark Souls games

Gears of War 3 had the best Horde Mode ever and I wish for game that fully supports it.

Killer Instinct

And I don't care if its conisdered 2000s game, I fully got into World of Warcraft in the 2010s.

still haven't played the Witcher 3.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Mass Effect 2

GTA V

Undertale

Skyrim

The Last of Us

Far Cry 3

Resident Evil 7

Cuphead

Bioshock Infinite

Red Dead Redemption

man2man

Nov 10, 2017
Good games this decade.... not many.

Witcher 3, Original sin 2... I think thats it.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Hmmm tough one but I can think of several in the last 8 years that worthwhile and this way my usual favorites of all time (xcom (1993) and Morrowind) arent on the list. Im not sure this would be a definitive list as I havnt played every game (and I straight up pass on a lot of AAA stuff) but these would be my picks off the top of my head

1. Dark souls: The de facto game I consider a masterpiece. The game that I could write an entire artistic critique about. The game I could probably write a massive Essay on regarding game design. The game that at one time forced me to cry (the death of my bro Siegmeyer of Catarina still gets me to this day) and the game that made me feel downright awesome (doing a level 1, no upgrades run on new game 8+)

2. Oxenfree: A fun indie puzzle/adventure game thats a game that really makes you think and has real heart within a coming of age story. If you like looking for answers and code breaking Oxenfree is your game. To get the entire story you have to dig deep but even if you dont want to dig deep the game has a satisfying and beautiful ending that really tugged at my heart strings

3. Divinity original sin: A game that revitalized the RPG market along with Shadowrun. DOS wasnt just revelutionary when it came out it was evolutionary. It pushed the RPG genre forward and is now the game I use to judge all other RPGs. For me, it set a new bar in what RPGs could and should be. It had funny moments, heroic battles, bittersweet conficts. It was everything I wanted in an RPG and more putting it right next to my second favorite game of all time (also an RPG) the elder scrolls 3 Morrowind

4. Shadowrun returns: Take a series RPG classic, give it a new skin and make it into an actual RPG and you have gold in your hands. Add on the phenomenal 2 sequels to it and add excellent mod support/tools to allow for community made content and you've made a true gem that outshines everything in the AAA industry. If you like cyberpunk fantasy RPGs then shadowruns here for you and its fantastic

5. Saints row: The third: A lot of people like the more recent GTA games but I liked GTA better when it was parked next to toon town. When GTA went down the more realistic path Saints row drew me in as its replacement. That said, saints row 4 went a little to far to the other side so SR3 remains my favorite of the series because it has that perfect balance. Its a game I reinstall again and again and again for the sheer fun of it but I put it lower on the list because its not thought provoking, it doesnt push design boundries, its just sheer unapologetic fun!

6. Warframe: How could I not include a game Ive been 2600 hours into? Yes warframe is the game I, hands down, play the most but thats because its that good. You play as a cybernetic space ninja with guns, melee weapons, magic powers, fluid parkour, a modification system that lets you build your ninja and weaponry anyway you want, and the game runs as smooth as velvet. Now take that idea I just put into your head and crank it up to 11. The best part is its free to play and has a deep story that gets to invested in your tenno! I think warframes fantastic but at the same time I readily admit that its not for everyone.

7. Sang Froid: Tales of werewolves: Yeah not many people have heard of it. Its the most canadian game I can think of and its great. Take a farm area thats invaded every night by werewolves and other creatures of the night only during the day you can plan out your strategy, lay traps, place bait, and do any number of things to help you prepare for the battle. Add a great cast of characters, a cool story, and crazy yet oh so fun gameplay for an experience that will keep you wanting more.

8. Warhammer end times: Vermintide: A meaty first person melee focused multiplayer game requiring teamwork, situtional awareness and that has a really great story told through the characters and their interactions. Ive had hundreds of hours of fun with Vermintide and I hope its successor vermintide 2 holds many more hours of entertainment for me.

9. Divinity Dragon Commander: Ok this one I have a love/hate relationship with. Its a part turn based (overland movement) part real time (battle maps) stategy game where you control armies but can also take the form of a dragon (with a jet pack!) to fight on the battlefield. That by itself is a pretty good game but Dragon commander goes another step forward with you have to set political, social, and religious policy of your budding kingdom. There are some really interesting choices to be had and the consequeces can be even more interesting. That said, the one thing that is a major turn off for me is the high amount of what I feel is anti-religious rhetoric as the undead (a highly religious race within your kingdom) is painted as bigots and fools with no redeeming value. If you're sensitive about subjects like that, as I admit I am, then you probably want to give Dragon commander a pass but on the other hand theres a lot to love here

10. Clandestine: Take a 1990s themed spy thriller with your agent on the ground, add in the usual hacker/information spout and you have an average game at worst. Make both of them playable at the same time with one person playing the boots on the ground agent and the other playing the supportive hacker guy and you've got a very compelling game. The simulataneous multiplayer and focus on not being spotted or leaving a trace you were there makes the game great but sadly it is let down by some noticible bugs and odd design decisions, still very much worth a look.

Honorable mentions: Far cry 3, Tales of Zestria, Transistor, Neir: automata, the last federation, Long live the queen, Life is strange, Fire emblem fates and hand of fate