What Book Have You Read Do You Think Should Be Turned into a Video Game or Movie, but Hasn't?

rotkiv

May 15, 2011
''Keeper of the swords'' by Nick Perumov would make a awesome movie, and a RPG base on the same books would be truly epic.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
automatron said:
I would love to see The sword of the truth series, provided they don't royally f*&k it up
You mean like with the Seeker of Truth TV series? They took elements from later books that were ruined for being out of place. They had so much filler that Toei Animation would turn away in disgust (even though the source material is long finished. If they'd done it like Game of Thrones, they could have cut out all the filler and had something badass!

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Not to be an ass, but I just did this thread last week and said Watership Down

Solnishka

Nov 7, 2008
dystopiaINC said:
THE CODEX ALERA!!!!! omfg such an epic series of books it's only slightly over shadowed by one better by the same author which also needs a good 20 part movie deal a la harry potter but better. omg i wish.
Harry Dresden got a TV series, and honestly... It wasn't great. You can find it on Netflix and Hulu, but I stopped watching after four episodes. It simply didn't do the books justice.

But Codex Alera has that great fantasy setting drawing influences from the Grand Roman Empire. The visuals could be amazing. I would only hope for decent CGI for the furies.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
Stephens Kings Dark Tower. Cowboys and magic ! Since there as been no decent Lord of the Rings games...

Not sure how the Dark Tower would work as a game.

Gorden Springel

Apr 3, 2010
Besides wheel of time, the entire dragonlance series, such an amazing bunch of books, ive read all 3 trilogies like 4 or 5 times each.

geezah91

Feb 17, 2010
A TV series based on the Silmarillion, with each episode being another story within the book. I know it will never happen, but I can hope

Solnishka

Nov 7, 2008
bdcjacko said:
My deepest apologies to you, sir. I only just got active on the forums, and didn't see your thread.

Cyd0n1a

Jul 15, 2009
Kakulukia said:
Jonathan Littell's The Kindly Ones could be better than Schindler's List if done properly.
Yes, definitely! Also anything by Gene Wolfe or Halldór Laxness would be great.

Ranmazoku

Dec 7, 2003
kaziard said:
the wheel of time series, although it would need a LOT of movies O.O
For the WoT series, I think it'd be better if it was turned into a TV series instead of a movie, that way more things could be fleshed out easier.

Even though this has been announced already for a movie, but I really want to watch the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Solnishka said:
bdcjacko said:
My deepest apologies to you, sir. I only just got active on the forums, and didn't see your thread.
Well, that is cool, it has been buried by now anyhow. But yeah, I still think there are gems of good stories that could be turned into an epic video game in the right hands.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Well the obvious ones would be some of David Gemmells or more of the Discworld novels. Movies, Tv series or Games would work with them. But I personally think that Storm Thief by Chris Woodsmith would make a great game. Its not a very well known book and the story itself isn't anything too spectacular (but it is very good), so I'll have to explain a little bit. The backbone of the game would be the Probability Storms that ravage the island city that the book is set in. Theses storms are like waves of energy or something, but they change the world that they go over. The main character of the book is a thief, and the storms cause him a lot of problems as entire city streets can be moved and changed by the storms. Anything can be changed by the storms. The main character lost the ability to breath after one.
I think a game where the world itself and your characters abilities can be randomly changed at anytime could be amazing if implemented properly. The main story of the book could make a good game but I think that other characters would have more possibilities. And other than the storms, the world of the book is one of the most imaginative worlds I've ever read about.

Solnishka

Nov 7, 2008
Nightmare-Child said:
Storm Front, and American God's by Neil Gaiman. Also, Good Omens could be fun.
American Gods is currently in production. I loved the book when it first came out, but fell out of love as I got older, so I'm on the fence.

I did always clamor for a movie adaptation before though.

samuraiweasel

Mar 19, 2010
Wilcroft said:
They butcher anything that originally started off as a book (ala Legend of the Seeker/Sword of Truth), unless they have the author keeping them true to the original (HBO Game of Thrones), the BBC generally have a good record with stuff made from books though...

Also good as a movie series : Codex Alera

ZeAwesomeOne

Mar 19, 2011
Maximum Ride Series for sure! They have been teasing us with the movie for years. With the books coming to a close, they should really pursue it. And I think play as Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gazzy, or Angel would be awesome in a video game, but not Dylan.....I don't like him -.-

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
I only part way threw steven king's under the dome and I can already see it being turend into a awesome movie. My other pick would have to go to my all time favoiret book house of the scorpine