What did the Xbone do right?

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
SSJBlastoise said:
Megalodon said:
The salient question here is "will they remain exclusives"? Primary reason I got a 360 back in 2007 was because Mass Effect was a 360 exclusive, look how well that lasted. So I'm skeptical that any new "exclusives" will really be exclusive to the new Xbox, instead of just coming out on it first.
That seems to be a bit of an anomaly though, I can't really think of too many exclusives changing that (most likely wrong so feel free to prove me wrong :p). With that point it would also means you have to hold out and hope or you can buy it before all the spoilers are out and considering the way some people behave this could be somewhat likely.
You're pretty much right, but skimming a list of exclusives, exclusives also seem to have been a bit of an anomaly. Most exclusives for both 360 and PS3 I hadn't heard of, only the really big stuff like Gears, Halo, Resistance, God of War etc were noteworthy. Most games are multi-platform (good thing too). Although apparently the first Saints Row was 360 only, which obviuosly didn't continue in the sequels. Of course this all moot for me anyway, as I doubt I'll be picking up a next-gen console, unless the exclusives are warhammer fantasy/40k flavoured (which i doubt).

SkullKing84

Feb 10, 2011
It looks like a nice VHS player and now i'm going to buy a PS4. Other then that.... uh.... er....um...........

I got nothing.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
It validated my choice to go with, and stick with, PC Gaming a number of years ago.

Thanks, MS!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
My honest hope, is that the lackluster Xbox reveal was by design. That they wanted to get this less entertaining stuff out of the way before E3 so that they could dedicate their entire E3 press conference to the gamers for a change. Last year they were lambasted for spending so much time of their E3 showing off the less exciting offerings and not enough time showing off the games. Perhaps this was a way to get the thing out there, let people see it and show off some of the enhanced features over the 360.

Now for E3, if they are smart, they can spend the whole hour (90 minutes?)(however long) just talking about the next Halo the next Gears, the next whatever.

As for what they did right, I like the tease of 15 exclusive titles and the promise of 8 being new IP. I like the new controller design and the force feedback for each individual trigger. And good on MS for actually having a couple of women on their panel.

I'm a card carrying Xbox fanboy and even I am underwhelmed and unimpressed thus far. But hope springs eternal. And if not, if all my assumptions are proven false and they spend their E3 time showing off 8 new Kinect titles that leave me flat and uninterested, if they drone on about their Pizza Hut app and talk sports crap for 42 minutes then offer a bland montage, then the thing they've done right is free me from giving a crap about the next gen beyond upgrading my PC and perhaps a PS4 once that new InFamous drops. Because I do love InFamous.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
SSJBlastoise said:
mirage202 said:
Considering around half of those are likely to be EA sports games, they really don't.

Really?

I'm sorry but you have got to be kidding if you think the EA sports games are going to be exclusives.
Let us consider for a moment that exclusive no longer exclusively means exclusive in the hype fueled buzz word centric world of advertising.

MS/EA saying exclusive could mean timed, features, content, extras, DLC deals, pre-order deals.

Then let us consider EA, the author of Project Ten Dollar? (who only a matter of days ago renounced said project) get a major segment of the reveal from the single console that is going to charge to activate used games, and (a very big and) will require an online connection that will also leave it up to the publisher if games will require always on or not. The Xbone is literally a wet dream come true for the EA suits.

Now think for a moment. Imagine you control EA, you have just climbed into bed with Microsoft who are launching a machine that does everything you have always wanted to maintain absolute control yet gives you the opportunity to say "Hey guys, not our fault! We didn't build it". What could possibly happen here? EA Sports, Battlefield, whatever else could all be moved to Xbone only and force sales. How many PS4's would realistically sell without EA's offerings? Full on exclusivity would shift millions of Xbones, the lemmings buying the yearly roster updates would have no say in the matter.

Let's also not forget that neither of these companies are above creating and abusing a monopoly, Microsoft in particular having already been fined for doing just that.

Is this happening? no, I am not saying it is. History speaks volumes though and I wouldn't put it past either of them to at least consider a move like this.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
15 new exclusives!
Kinda wish they brought em... so I can see the 11 that are Kinect exclusives...

Sorry xbox fans. Its impossible not to /sarcasm.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Xcell935 said:
15 new exclusives!
Kinda wish they brought em... so I can see the 11 that are Kinect exclusives...

Sorry xbox fans. Its impossible not to /sarcasm.
Don't worry about it, most of us aren't Xbox fans anymore.
Anyway.
This is sort of off-topic and I'm sure somebody's said it already but is anyone else reading it like "ex-bone"?
Would certainly be appropriate to describe the Xbox's current situation.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
mirage202 said:
Considering around half of those are likely to be EA sports games, they really don't.
And the other half will likely be stuff like this:

This is the audience Microsoft is after now.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
mirage202 said:
You do realise that this hypothetical situation only favours Microsoft and as we know EA aren't really known for wanting to cut off sales from themselves. A game like battlefield only being released on an Xbox? haha even EA aren't that stupid.

Now, onto FIFA and other sports games. According to wikipedia, FIFA 13 sold 14.5 million copies as of May this year. Now I'm not sure on the exact ratio of sales but I'd imagine 360 and PS3 sales would be similar. Furthermore, I wouldn't think the number of sales on PC would be that huge (hell, I'll just give an estimate of 1.5 million to make the following easy to follow). That leaves 13 million copies and if the split between the consoles is roughly 50/50, that make 6.5 million copies on each console. In no possible universe would EA benefit the potential loss of 6.5 million sales and that's not even including it's other games.

So, no, EA wont be going exclusive. They might allow earlier access to DLC or crap like that but other games already do that (COD) and it doesn't seem to change much.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
The only thing I think the Xbone has over the PS4 is the controller. I've never been a fan of the placement of the left side analogue stick on the Dual Shocks. I started on the N64, then Gamecube, then Xbox, then 360. I've never gotten used to the lower placement, it just irks the crap out of me...

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
Good news Microsoft aren't really loosing their marbels..

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-microsoft-aims-for-1-billion-lifetime-sales-100-million-xbox-360-units/

Xbox One: Microsoft aims for 1 billion lifetime sales, 100 million Xbox 360 units

Microsoft?s senior vice president of Interactive Entertainment Business Yusuf Mehdi has stated that given the broad multimedia focus of Xbox One, there?s no reason why it can?t shift between 400 million and 1 billion consoles in its lifetime. He said the company is also angling for 100 million Xbox 360 console sales in the next five years.

Speaking with OXM, Mehdi said of Microsoft?s hopes for Xbox 360, ?We believe over the next five years we can break a 100 million unit installed base. That?s something we?re shooting for, it?s not a financial plan as such, it?s just rough numbers if you will.

?To sell another 25 million, half of those will probably come from replacements, but half will come from new buyers. And the way we?ll break into those segments is by hitting new price points, getting new classes of entertainment to come with the Xbox, and breaking into new customer segments. So you?ll see the Xbox 360 continue to exist, even as we launch the next generation Xbox One.?

On the subject of Xbox One sales and the growth of the market with the herald of next-gen formats, Mehdi continued, ?Every generation, as you?ve probably heard, has grown approximately 30%. So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units. That?s if it?s a game console, over the next decade.

?We think you can go broader than a game console, that?s our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That?s how we?re thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward.?
Oh wait..

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Colt47 said:
The controller is the most positive thing out of the announcement. People have been asking for a better D-Pad on a 360 controller since the 360 got released, and while they did fix the issue somewhat with the newer edition of the controller, the Xbox One controller D-Pad sounds like it comes closer to what people expect.
I think the controller is a disaster waiting to happen actually, the ability to give feedback to triggers means delicate moving parts that get smashed on all the time during twitch gaming.

Stuff they got right: 8 gigs of RAM, though even that's a bit tempered by it being slower RAM than the PS4 (depends on if this means it'll actually be cheaper than the PS4 I suppose, but given the other unnecessary crap I doubt it).

Apparently it will have screenshots, which might be nice, depends on how much of a pain in that ass it'll be to post them on places that aren't some MS website or Facebook.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Cooperblack said:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-microsoft-aims-for-1-billion-lifetime-sales-100-million-xbox-360-units/

Xbox One: Microsoft aims for 1 billion lifetime sales, 100 million Xbox 360 units

Microsoft?s senior vice president of Interactive Entertainment Business Yusuf Mehdi has stated that given the broad multimedia focus of Xbox One, there?s no reason why it can?t shift between 400 million and 1 billion consoles in its lifetime. He said the company is also angling for 100 million Xbox 360 console sales in the next five years.

Speaking with OXM, Mehdi said of Microsoft?s hopes for Xbox 360, ?We believe over the next five years we can break a 100 million unit installed base. That?s something we?re shooting for, it?s not a financial plan as such, it?s just rough numbers if you will.

?To sell another 25 million, half of those will probably come from replacements, but half will come from new buyers. And the way we?ll break into those segments is by hitting new price points, getting new classes of entertainment to come with the Xbox, and breaking into new customer segments. So you?ll see the Xbox 360 continue to exist, even as we launch the next generation Xbox One.?

On the subject of Xbox One sales and the growth of the market with the herald of next-gen formats, Mehdi continued, ?Every generation, as you?ve probably heard, has grown approximately 30%. So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units. That?s if it?s a game console, over the next decade.

?We think you can go broader than a game console, that?s our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That?s how we?re thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward.?
Oh wait..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
To be honest, I do like all the things that it can do like TV and shit, I just wish that wasn't the entire fucking show. So yes, the new features are cool, but should have only taken 10 minutes to go over. Everything else should have been games.

Cooperblack said:

That was seriously painful to read. I mean come the fuck on, can't they get that the Xbone probably wont even break 100million? Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even break 50.

KR4U55

Mar 12, 2012
I dunno, Call of Duty does sell more than anything else every year it's relased. I don't expect it to be different to the last one ("we didn't want to play it safe" HAH!).

Other than that the reveal sucked. I was extemely dissapointed. I really thought they were gonna blow PS4, but I guess I know what will be the platform of choice of the next gen.

Songblade

Jan 28, 2011
I haven't heard it called the X-bone before... hee hee

I never liked M$'s controllers, so I've never owned an XBox... even though Rock Band would be better on one, I had a PS3 and eventually started my DLC collection on one...

anyway

I wish M$ well, and I hope for their sake that this entire campaign is a charade... and when they actually launch their product they can say "Fooled you! Actually, the x-box one...four-hundred-forty (XB 1440 - twice as good as 720) is super awesome and doesn't do any creepy shit, doesn't have to be constantly online and is 100% backwards compatible. Seriously. There's even ports for old atari 2600 cartridges in the back."

How they can fail so hard at basic things is just mind-boggling.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Bonecrusher said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
So far, I've seen nothing that could be considered as good about the Xbone.
Same here.

Xbone announcement showed features only addressing towards US customers - COD, NFL and American TV channels.
I think Microsoft doesn't care EU/JP customers. May be this behaviour of theirs will change in E3, and they may show some content and games for EU/JP gamers.
I've said before that the US usually forgets that there's a world outside their borders, but I'm surprised at how poorly thought out the whole thing is this time.