What did you do...BEFORE the internet?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
So do you remember a time in your life when you didnt have access to the internet? has the internet changed your life at all?

in my case because of my age (born in 1991) I do vaugley remeber a time without it however really its been a big part of my life, ive pretty much grown up with it ,I mean I didnt really use it much when I was younger I watched alot of TV had my N64 and books I supose

but now as an adult its one of the nessecities alongside Energy drinks and air, Plus I dont even watch TV, in fact it baffles me how TV can compete with the internet (considering even the crappy state of foxtel/pay TV in Australia, in fact why would you bother? free tv is getting better I supose)

anyway Im quite facinated by this internet/technology thing, how its become a huge thing in such little time

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
To quote Patrick, "I sat around and waited for you to come home..."

Mostly TV / PS2 / Gameboy / LEGOs / hang out with next door neighbor.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Sat there. Waiting.

Edit: Damn, someone said something similar...

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
When I was a kid, I ignored the wonders of modern technology, and insisted that the Gamecube would always be the greatest thing evar. This changed in fourth grade, when I got a wii.

Then that was the best thing evar, until I bought an Xbox (original) in fifth grade, and Morrowind blew my little mind.

That's sort of what happened when I discovered the internet, and spent an incredible amount of time on Homestarrunner.com, which is still the greatest site on the planet.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
There was this world, which we kids used to call "The outside".
We used to play there and have fun, but now it's forgotten.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I was born in 1990, so I do remember a time before the internet was ubiquitous, but my dad is a software engineer, so we've had internet in the house for almost as long as I can remember. As a matter of fact, some of my earliest memories involve dial up internet on a comically large (by modern standards) laptop, which was running windows 3.1. During the dial up days, I wasn't able to get on all the time like I do now. My parents had it password protected, so I couldn't get on without asking them. I spent a lot of time reading, playing video games, playing with toys, you know, general preschool and elementary school aged nerdy kid stuff.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Me? I'd get my fix from magazines. I'll leave the interpretation of that previous sentence to you.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
There was a lot of TV, a bit of Xbox (Halo 2 and Fable), Gameboy, anything to do with Lord of the Rings and a lot of dicking about with my mates. Now we dick about on Minecraft and CoD.

EDIT: "That's a nice wooden house you've got there... ssssss..."

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
I was born in 1991 and there was never a time that I remember not having internet (but then I don't remember much from before age 6). I do, however, remember a time when waiting for an image to load would take like half an hour, and the only browser anyone used was Internet Explorer.

Pariah87

Jul 9, 2009
I had a life, friends, ambition.

The faceless communication of the internet made life so much simpler. Why, when I was 12, I figured the Internet would be the place to find a girlfriend I will never know, but I spent so much time on it.

I swear there's something the otherside of the front door but I just...can't...remember.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
smearyllama said:
When I was a kid, I ignored the wonders of modern technology, and insisted that the Gamecube would always be the greatest thing evar. This changed in fourth grade, when I got a wii.

Then that was the best thing evar, until I bought an Xbox (original) in fifth grade, and Morrowind blew my little mind.

That's sort of what happened when I discovered the internet, and spent an incredible amount of time on Homestarrunner.com, which is still the greatest site on the planet.
Well, I feel really old now. I was only a couple of years older than you are now when the gamecube was released.

TriggerHappyAngel said:
You mean I didn't dream it, it really existed? Well this changes everything...

Edit: *younger than you are now, not older.

Edit Edit: If that much. I was 11, almost 12 at the time of release.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Well, at least I think so.. I've tried to look out of the window to find this place again, but I see nothing else besides closed curtains :(

Light 086

Feb 10, 2011
Same things I do now: read, movies, games, socialize... etc
In fact the internet made the last one easier, especially since most of my friends went separate ways after high-school (I assume the same for most people here as well).

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
smearyllama said:

Well, I feel really old now. I was only a couple of years older than you are now when the gamecube was released.
Well hey there, old timer!

You need your walker?

I can get you some prune juice, if you need some.

I got a shower stool for ya', so you don't have to worry about slipping in the tub!

Seriously, though. I remember when it truly was the most amazing thing ever.
Remember Animal Crossing?
I played tons of that.

vingtcinq

Sep 7, 2010
I think I read a lot (I still do, but internet takes up free time as opposed to reading). I can't remember doing anything else apart from that.
Has the internet changed my life? Why yes, it has. I spend practically my every waking moment on it. sigh.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Cartoons mostly because all of my friends lived too far away and I only had a few games to play on my PS2 at the time. I was also really big into baseball.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Well, at least I think so.. I've tried to look out of the window to find this place again, but I see nothing else besides closed curtains :(
It does exist...but it burns my skin when I try and go outside, I have become imune to the joys of sunshine and laughing children