What did you want to grow up to be as a child?

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Paleontologist

heck Jurassic Park came out and every kid wanted to be a paleontologist.
Plan B was Archeologist, flying doppeldecker planes and fighting nazis is just a great job

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I wanted to be a game designer, before I actually tried my hand at it and realized I really really hate coding, seriously haaaaaaaaate it.

Now I have the much more "realistic" dream of making movies. It's nice to stay grounded in reality, idn't it?

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
A paleontologist. Dinosaurs are awesome. My favorite movie as a kid for many years was walking with Dinosaurs.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Varanfan9 said:
A paleontologist. Dinosaurs are awesome. My favorite movie as a kid for many years was walking with Dinosaurs.
Same here, but my fascination was sparked by Jurassic Park. I totally wrecked our VCR tape of it, played it so many times. I was the first kid at school who could actually spell the word.

After I started reading kid's science books and started watching Discovery Channel, astronaut was my little kid's dream.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
A pilot, then 9/11 happened
A surgeon, then I accidently saw an episode of Casualty
A copper, then I lost interest
I still have no idea what I wanted to be

MordinSolus

Feb 10, 2011
I wanted to be a firefighter, an astronaut, and an actor. I put them together and decided I wanted to be an acting firefighter in space... with a scruffy beard.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Either an Astronaut or a Fighter Jet Pilot. I even went to Space Camp in 6th grade. But I didn't end up going to college because of money issues and am now pretty much too old to get into the space program with any hope of ever orbiting the planet.
I still dream though of flying jets and launching into space, hopefully our world advances enough that before I die I get to at least see the world from the cold void that surrounds us.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
A Zoological Veterinarian (I very specifically wanted to work at the Zoo), but that seems to be a common choice for most kids, along with Paleontologist and Archeologist.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
I wanted to lead a team of vigilantes. Seriously, guns, tactical training, the whole nine yards. My friends and I even formed a club called "The Guardian Force" and we would patrol neighborhoods and go out in the country in the dead of night to take pictures of houses that we were pretty sure were meth labs.

Honestly, I was lucky to have survived my childhood.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Something to do with animals. Nowadays I lean towards insects, the most successful on earth.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Sorceror. Barring that, a Wizard. I'm still holding out some hope that I'll stumble across some form of sorcery that isn't a pile of crap and get right into it.

TrilbyUK

Sep 28, 2010
LordFisheh said:
A scientist, until I realised that it wasn't just putting pretty colours in flasks to make cool stuff happen.
A scientist, when I realised that it was a lot more than just putting pretty colours in flasks to make cool stuff happen.

--Which is incidentally happening since I'm doing a Masters Degree in Physics and working in R&D in Germany over the summer, with the intent to pursue an academic career as a postgrad.

Although when I was five, I wanted to be a baker.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
I wanted to be a puppeteer, I used to love entertaining and I put on plays all the time. Then one day, in order to be the cool kid, I had to quit doing that shit. Now I'm shackled to a desk, and spend my days with manifests, inventories, and customs documentation. Sigh...

targren

May 13, 2009
From the time I got my first Texas Instruments computer, I wanted to be a computer programmer.

Now, Twenty-*mumble* years later, I am one, and I wish I'd picked something else. >_<